Slackline! Great form of Play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spk View Post
    Still, I am laughing and now that you made that ill informed comment, laughing even harder....yoga is not about abs-centric life, sorry you live in that world...

peace to you
    Ill-informed? Have you ever done P90X Yoga? Maybe you are the ill-informed one. Nobody said that P90X yoga was "ab-centric" except you.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by aliphian View Post
      Ill-informed? Have you ever done P90X Yoga? Maybe you are the ill-informed one. Nobody said that P90X yoga was "ab-centric" except you.
      Look, I realize making fun of p90x on this forum is tantamount to questioning the value of saturated fats and I should expect to be flogged. When I originally posted my comment, it was coming from having viewed the p90x commercials a number of times when insomniac, and it always struck me as ab-centric. So sue me. I don't think I'm that far off.

But truly, making fun of a product, that is sold on tv, that does wonders for peoples bods is not a heinous crime. I didn't make fun of a person. I live in a city where it's practically mandated that you do yoga to be considered a local. And that includes all forms. Even the farmer boys are doing hot yoga!

So, I'm going back to enjoying the discussion about slacklining and if people can't take a joke -- eat more fats, up your calories, do something.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Still, I am laughing and now that you made that ill informed comment, laughing even harder....yoga is not about abs-centric life, sorry you live in that world...

peace to you
        Look, I realize making fun of p90x on this forum is tantamount to questioning the value of saturated fats and I should expect to be flogged. When I originally posted my comment, it was coming from having viewed the p90x commercials a number of times when insomniac, and it always struck me as ab-centric. So sue me. I don't think I'm that far off.

But truly, making fun of a product, that is sold on tv, that does wonders for peoples bods is not a heinous crime. I didn't make fun of a person. I live in a city where it's practically mandated that you do yoga to be considered a local. And that includes all forms. Even the farmer boys are doing hot yoga!

So, I'm going back to enjoying the discussion about slacklining and if people can't take a joke -- eat more fats, up your calories, do something.
        Great.
        The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

After one week, and trying for maybe 15 mins per day, I can now stand on the line for 30-60 secs at a time. Each day I tried it I saw improvements. The shaking and wobbling is fading to stability. I can't wait to walk the line!!
          Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
          Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
          "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
          "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
          "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

My wife got a slackline for my kids for Xmas and I love that thing. I am the only one that uses it.
            My only tips would be that once you are able to balance on two legs, don't linger, go to one leg and alternate.
            I think of walking a slackline as nothing more than the ability to balance on one leg while moving your other leg to position to take over the balancing.
            Also, for some reason, I am at my best after I do my PB LHT workout. I guess it primes you somehow.
            My hat is off to those that can do anything more than walking on that thing.

Comment

Slack line looks like fun. I happened on a few people doing it and took photos for the paper I work for. Kind of wish I had tried it at their invitation, but I was running to get enough photos for the paper.

Comment

Just ordered myself a gibbon classic 82'! Any tips for me? Creative ideas on where to hook it up...

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                  Just ordered myself a gibbon classic 82'! Any tips for me? Creative ideas on where to hook it up...
                  I have the same. Great fun. To set it up, best to use a couple of big trees and make sure you use something to protect the bark. We don't have trees in the right place in our backyard so I sunk a couple of soil anchors (basically a wire cable about 1 m long with a toggle head harpoon at the end. You drive it into the ground with a piece of Rebar, remove the Rebar and yank on the cable. That will cause the head to toggle and anchor the whole thing.). Then you have two unobtrusive cable loops at the soil line. You will need something to elevate the line. We used plastic 5-gal buckets last year. I the beginning, keep the distance between the supports low so you get a more stable line to practice on. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                    I have the same. Great fun. To set it up, best to use a couple of big trees and make sure you use something to protect the bark. We don't have trees in the right place in our backyard so I sunk a couple of soil anchors (basically a wire cable about 1 m long with a toggle head harpoon at the end. You drive it into the ground with a piece of Rebar, remove the Rebar and yank on the cable. That will cause the head to toggle and anchor the whole thing.). Then you have two unobtrusive cable loops at the soil line. You will need something to elevate the line. We used plastic 5-gal buckets last year. I the beginning, keep the distance between the supports low so you get a more stable line to practice on. Have fun.
                    Ok cool, that all makes sense.

I just got it last night and took it to my parents house (they have more trees), So I set it up but the line was sitting on an angle. How do you get the line to lay flat?

Comment

Ok cool, that all makes sense.

I just got it last night and took it to my parents house (they have more trees), So I set it up but the line was sitting on an angle. How do you get the line to lay flat?
                      what do you mean "sitting on an angle?" did you attach it equally high up on both trees? that would make the most sense. if you mean that the line is twisted, I set mine up so the ratcheting buckle is on the bottom. that way the weight of the handle doesn't twist the webbing around

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                        what do you mean "sitting on an angle?" did you attach it equally high up on both trees? that would make the most sense. if you mean that the line is twisted, I set mine up so the ratcheting buckle is on the bottom. that way the weight of the handle doesn't twist the webbing around
                        I set it up around 2' off the ground, ratchet handle down (just like on the gibbon website) but the strap was on an angle. So when not standing on it is was like this... / ... well not that steep but still angled.

Comment

I set it up around 2' off the ground, ratchet handle down (just like on the gibbon website) but the strap was on an angle. So when not standing on it is was like this... / ... well not that steep but still angled.
                          Try reducing the tension and twisting the line a bit where it passes throu the loop (where it is cinched up to the tree). You should be able to get it to lay flat. Then crank up the tension and hop on.

Comment

Working...
                          X