20 rep squats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 rep squats

Is anyone familiar with the twenty rep squats program?

I want to do it; it looks short, and brutal! It is acknowledged as a good mass-gainer, and eating the 'PB way', most of those gains should be lean mass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFGdpQD_O0

I would recommend a surplus of calories for your BW, as in 1000 per day, especially on a squat day. Absolutely brutal, make sure you are doing the breathing pullovers right after. No point in nearly killing yourself and then undereating.

Comment

I'm sure it works great, but let's face it, it's going to take quite a bit of work to get to the point where you can do that amount of weight and reps without killing yourself. How much do you squat right now?

Comment

I'm not going to try doing 210kg; I'm going to aim to perform my 10 rep max, twice.

I did 15-12-9 (36) squats at 80kg last week, with the same number pull-ups in between as part of conditioning exercise in 5:41. So for a hard set of twenty squats I'm thinking 100kg.

Comment

That is brutal. Notice how his form changes at about rep 12. You can see he starts incorporating more back into it as he fatigues. Still, his overall form is pretty impressive throughout.

Comment

You're doing it barefoot or with flat heels, right? You don't want any lift in the heels.

Comment

Yeah I do all lifts barefoot!

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                That is brutal. Notice how his form changes at about rep 12. You can see he starts incorporating more back into it as he fatigues. Still, his overall form is pretty impressive throughout.
                He lost form on number seven. Looks like quite the cns taxer.

Comment

if you're taking your 10rm and doing it 20 times, it's not your 10rm

Comment

So your alternative suggestion is...?

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
                      So your alternative suggestion is...?
                      20 reps of a given weight is your 20RM, not your 10RM

Although, your RM is the number you can do With good form.. As I noted earlier, the gentleman lost form somewhere between rep 7 and 12. He was probably lifting with his 12RM, by that standard.

Looks like an invitation to an injury.

Comment

I had good results doing 20 rep squats. I incorporated them into the basic Starting Strength linear progression program.

ie. there were two workouts, A & B

A
                        20-rep squats
                        3x5 Press
                        5x3 Power Cleans

B
                        20-rep squats
                        3x5 Bench Press
                        1x5 Deadlift

and I did 3x workouts a week (alternating these two workouts, so one week was A B A, the next week was B A B)

I started the squats with 70kg (hadn't done much squatting at all before), adding 2.5kg every session, so long as I got all 20 reps the previous time. If not I'd stick at the same weight until I did.

I managed to get up to 95kg for 20, but then I was done - mentally. ...I then switched to 3x5 Squats.

The thing to remember is it isn't one set of 20 squats.

It means a difficult set of 10 with your 10-rep MAX ...and then puffing, and wobbling, and another couple of reps, and then more puffing, and panting, and more wobbling, and then another rep, and then another, and then you want to die, and you've still got six reps to go, and when you get through the 18th and 19th rep you're not sure if you're still upright or if you're curled up on the floor dreaming you're squatting, and then you get that last rep and you rack the bar and you're not even sure if you racked it properly or not but you don't even care, and you wonder why all these blurry people are staring at you, and oh, now you really are curled up on the floor...

It is meant to be hard. Really hard.

It is also originally intended to be backed up with a serious amount of eating. And Milk. It is THE original squats and milk program. ...as in a gallon of whole milk a day. I never managed a full gallon but I was also sucking down double cheeseburgers like they were going out of fashion. (of course, my digestion was terrible.)

I'd imagine you'd still need to eat a LOT of paleo food and get a lot of sleep to be able to recover sufficiently.

Bear in mind it is only meant to be a six-week program too.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by RezH View Post
                          I would recommend a surplus of calories for your BW, as in 1000 per day, especially on a squat day. Absolutely brutal, make sure you are doing the breathing pullovers right after. No point in nearly killing yourself and then undereating.
                          The breathing pullovers are very old-school and were done to "expand the ribcage" and make you look like Mr Universe off of the 50's

I'd only do them if that is part of your goals...?

Comment

The breathing pullovers are a recovery exercise. You don't go heavy. They help. 20 reps with like 30 lbs for most joes.

Comment

Well, 20 reps with 80kg tonight; slightly easier than expected, but not easy. So I will repeat on Friday with 90kg, and find a benchmark.

Comment

Working...
                              X