Winter sprinting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter sprinting?

Ugh! Blech! Blah! *grumble, grumble, grumble* = my feelings about winter. Hate it. Hate the cold. Hate coats, boots, gloves, hats...the whole nine yards. But I gotta sprint, somehow. So, if you can't stand being outside during the cold months how do you get your sprints in? Joining a gym isn't an option for me so I'm looking for some in-house ideas.

If it comes down to having to go outside in order to get this part of my week in I will I suppose (starts grumbling again)...but if I don't have to I'd be much more pleasant to live with. lol

If you live somewhere snowy, snowshoeing in deep, ungroomed snow will get your heart rate way up, and fast.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Anything to get yourself panting and sweaty should work. I get mine in from doing a workout DVD (Jillian Micheals 30-Day Shred.) I just give it everything and it's as exhausting as a sprint session. I'd much rather run, but this seems to get the job done.

Occasionally I use trips to the store as a time to sprint- mostly to get my azz in out of the cold as quickly as possible.

Comment

You can do burpees indoors or any movement interval-style. God I love burpees. I always get sore afterwards

Comment

Sprinting in fresh and deep snow is great.

You can also do stair sprints if you have a stair case in your house.

Or you could alternate squat jumps and push ups with no resting for as long as you can bear.

Comment

Ah! Tabata-style shoveling! I almost forgot. I love snow shoveling....
            Wow I sound narcissistic today!

Comment

No snow here.......just miserable, damp, chill-you-to-the-bone cold. My attitude might actually be different if the cold produced something pretty like snow but alas....

I just discovered the existance of burpees (those could definitely work!) and I like the squat/push-up idea.

Thanks!

Comment

When I was in the army, we did a bunch of sprints in the snow across the field. They were brutal, but the workout only took 10 minutes. Give it a shot and think like a caveman running to catch dinner for a freezing child.

I second snow shoeing, it is a great movement and you would be very surprised at how quickly you feel like death when running.

Then there is running on the spot. Approach it like a sprint for 15 seconds with high knees and drive the arms. Rest 30 seconds and repeat about 10 times.

Skipping double unders are much harder than they look. Try tabata style skipping or unbroken sets of 30-40 revolutions.

Comment

If you have a garage, or a high ceiling you can also jump rope. Or do dumbbell thrusters, those will kick your butt!
                  Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

what's your obstacle? the cold, snow or the terrain?

I do my sprints on a road hill anyway during summer or winter
                    I actually help people look good naked. Seriously, I do this for a living and have fun doing it! Don't believe me? See the people I've helped for free

Comment

i would recommend sucking it up and throwing on some cold weather gear. it sucks, but it's the price you gotta pay sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                        Anything to get yourself panting and sweaty should work. I get mine in from doing a workout DVD (Jillian Micheals 30-Day Shred.) I just give it everything and it's as exhausting as a sprint session. I'd much rather run, but this seems to get the job done.

Occasionally I use trips to the store as a time to sprint- mostly to get my azz in out of the cold as quickly as possible.
                        careful.. I use to be on the Jillian bandwagon until recently..

read this first
                        http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...haels-20101011

makes you wonder about all she has ever said.
                        We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

Starting Weight: 238 lb
                        Current Weight: 224 lb
                        Goal: 190-200 lb
                        Height: 6'-0"

Comment

or u could be in australia .. its coming into summer blue sky sunny and about 80F out ...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwineil View Post
                            or u could be in australia .. its coming into summer blue sky sunny and about 80F out ...
                            Booo! LOL. I am approaching the negatives numbers soon. Hopefully not for a while though. It was 29F today.
                            Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

negative in fahrenheit ... ewww ... no chance .... couldnt stand it

Comment

Working...
                              X