How to Get a Friend to Start Working Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Get a Friend to Start Working Out

I posted my thoughts on how to get a friend to start working out on my blog today. I'd love to get your thoughts and opinions. Feel free to post them right on my blog!

-Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Go for a drive, push them out of a car (hopefully parked) then shut the door & take off! Other than that they have to decide for themselves. If hanging out with someone in your shape doesnt do it, then you are SOL
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

That's a good plan B.

It's true though - you can't make anyone do anything they don't want to. Like I've often said, "The forced will be the last."
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chairdr View Post
        Go for a drive, push them out of a car (hopefully parked) then shut the door & take off! Other than that they have to decide for themselves. If hanging out with someone in your shape doesnt do it, then you are SOL
        +1

I'm 50, and frankly if you're ok with with a guy 20-30 years older than you constantly kicking your ass, that's your choice. I had (all overweight) a nephew (28) and 2 in-laws (30), over and between them couldn't do 3 pull ups while I knocked off 14, and I didn't tell them about the other 32 reps I did earlier that day. I leave my kettlebells and clubs out and they ignore it. My wife's a nurse and have been threatening to drag them thru her bariatric ward. Ironically they all have gym memberships. I think unless they have a serious health challenge, there won't be any motivation to change.

Comment

Don't bother. They'll do it when they're ready. Anything before that is just going to be received badly as pushing or nagging. Let them alone.
          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Well, before I started eating right, I didn't have the energy to do much exercise myself, so I can't really sit around faulting folks for being lazy. I'm pretty much with Taubes on this one - it's not the personality, it's the amount of energy your diet / metabolism allows you to have. I am the same person as before (I think? sometimes I wonder), but my drive to exercise is almost totally a consequence of proper eating.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by primalclubber View Post
              +1

I'm 50, and frankly if you're ok with with a guy 20-30 years older than you constantly kicking your ass, that's your choice.
              Originally posted by Griff View Post
              Don't bother. They'll do it when they're ready. Anything before that is just going to be received badly as pushing or nagging. Let them alone.
              Sounds like you're both saying the same thing and, for the most part, I agree. Every once in a while it is possible to inspire someone or get through to them, though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                Well, before I started eating right, I didn't have the energy to do much exercise myself, so I can't really sit around faulting folks for being lazy. I'm pretty much with Taubes on this one - it's not the personality, it's the amount of energy your diet / metabolism allows you to have. I am the same person as before (I think? sometimes I wonder), but my drive to exercise is almost totally a consequence of proper eating.
                Healthy diet and physical activity can definitely "feed into" each other. The question of whether or not you are the same person opens up a whole other can of existential worms!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                  Griff,
                  I could not agree more. Stop pushing & nagging. They will just resent you and think you are a SHOW OFF, and also think you are demeaning them. Some people ( like me ) have absolutely no desire to be an Arnold Schwarzenhaegar Muscle Man. I am very happy just being healthy. My main goal on the PB plan is to lose my 35 lb belly monster. I also do strength training at the gym, not to get muscle bound, but to simply be healthier.

Best of health to all,
                  Grizz

Comment

succeed.

Comment

Also, if the person has never been athletic or very active, I think it makes it especially difficult to motivate or inspire someone to do something they've never done before. Being athletic most of my life except for a 10 year stretch in my 30's, it wasn't difficult for me to reboot into that mode. It was changing out my crap diet that took more of an effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                        Healthy diet and physical activity can definitely "feed into" each other.
                        i'd like to emphasize this. Exercise is miserable for those who eat poor (often). A bad diet makes you micronutrient-deprived, tired, unable to utilize fat stores well, irritable and moody, etc.

And when you are well off in terms of health, i hear often that people just naturally feel like moving more, and will incline themselves to do such.

What i'm trying to say is I think health has to come first before exercise is even really a viable option. your original post also seems to have posited exercise alone as capable of producing fat loss. i disagree with that, unless its accompanied with the necessary dietary changes.

Comment

Personally, I think the only time that people really get inspired to do something is when they are completely convinced that it's their idea in the first place. I would bet that telling someone that they could or shouldn't workout would do more good for them in most cases.
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I dont like exercise, regardless of how good I know it makes me feel afterwards, I still dont "like" it. I knew though that exercise and diet were going to play an important part in me dropping the 6kgs of weight that I didnt want to be carrying around. I read a lot of stuff on inspirational fitness-y type blogs that made me think yeah I really need to do that... but still I didnt. Then one day I asked someone (our health insurance account manager that was calling on me as her client) what she did to keep fit and she mentioned this thing called team training (think bootcamp) And bang, I checked out their website when I got back to my desk and noticed it started on Wednesday morning (this was monday) and off I went... and continued to go for probably 3 or 4 months until injury got the better of me (that and winter - working out in the freezing cold rain at 6am isnt a lot of fun)

Anyway point of my longwinded story is that I dont know if you can do anything to help, you can inspire quietly though. People will come to stuff in their own good time. My only real advice is that if you do inspire someone to come and work out with you, make it gentle, dont kill them on the first workout! DOMS is a real pain in the arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                              Griff,
                              I could not agree more. Stop pushing & nagging. They will just resent you and think you are a SHOW OFF, and also think you are demeaning them. Some people ( like me ) have absolutely no desire to be an Arnold Schwarzenhaegar Muscle Man. I am very happy just being healthy. My main goal on the PB plan is to lose my 35 lb belly monster. I also do strength training at the gym, not to get muscle bound, but to simply be healthier.

Best of health to all,
                              Grizz
                              Who said anything about trying to look like Arnold? I've lost more muscle since going primal than I have fat!

Originally posted by jasonph View Post
                              succeed.
                              Is that all you have to say on this matter?

Originally posted by primalclubber View Post
                              Also, if the person has never been athletic or very active, I think it makes it especially difficult to motivate or inspire someone to do something they've never done before. Being athletic most of my life except for a 10 year stretch in my 30's, it wasn't difficult for me to reboot into that mode. It was changing out my crap diet that took more of an effort.
                              Agreed!

Originally posted by free3337 View Post
                              i'd like to emphasize this. Exercise is miserable for those who eat poor (often). A bad diet makes you micronutrient-deprived, tired, unable to utilize fat stores well, irritable and moody, etc.

And when you are well off in terms of health, i hear often that people just naturally feel like moving more, and will incline themselves to do such.

What i'm trying to say is I think health has to come first before exercise is even really a viable option. your original post also seems to have posited exercise alone as capable of producing fat loss. i disagree with that, unless its accompanied with the necessary dietary changes.
                              I did not mean to imply that diet is secondary to exercise. In fact, I argue just the opposite in this recent blog post of mine on diet and exercise.

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                              Personally, I think the only time that people really get inspired to do something is when they are completely convinced that it's their idea in the first place. I would bet that telling someone that they could or shouldn't workout would do more good for them in most cases.
                              Good 'ol reverse psychology! I love it!

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                              I dont like exercise, regardless of how good I know it makes me feel afterwards, I still dont "like" it. I knew though that exercise and diet were going to play an important part in me dropping the 6kgs of weight that I didnt want to be carrying around. I read a lot of stuff on inspirational fitness-y type blogs that made me think yeah I really need to do that... but still I didnt. Then one day I asked someone (our health insurance account manager that was calling on me as her client) what she did to keep fit and she mentioned this thing called team training (think bootcamp) And bang, I checked out their website when I got back to my desk and noticed it started on Wednesday morning (this was monday) and off I went... and continued to go for probably 3 or 4 months until injury got the better of me (that and winter - working out in the freezing cold rain at 6am isnt a lot of fun)

Anyway point of my longwinded story is that I dont know if you can do anything to help, you can inspire quietly though. People will come to stuff in their own good time. My only real advice is that if you do inspire someone to come and work out with you, make it gentle, dont kill them on the first workout! DOMS is a real pain in the arse.
                              Well said, I totally agree about easing in!

It does make me sad to hear that you don't like exercise, though. I hope one day that you're perspective changes. It's a shame to have to force yourself thorough anything in life, whether it be a workout, a family obligation or a job that you don't like.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X