Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodyweight circuits daily?

I have a novice question,

Would you imagine doing some form of functional bodyweight circuit- I guess a combination of primal essential movements, on a daily basis, with less intensity/reps/sets than if done only two or three times a week would be beneficial or ultimately counterproductive? I understand the concept of overtraining, but if the workouts were light and quick, presumably that wouldn't be an issue?

To be honest, I ask only in order to try and construct some sort of habitual morning routine and bodyweight exercise tend to help wake me up (along with a cold shower blast), and was wondering how to combine this with an overall program in a way that suits my routine timewise. Obviously it's a personal thing, but I'm relatively unlearned about all this and was wondering if there are any obvious disadvantages to working the same muscle groups daily?

Thanks.

Doing daily bodyweight exercises is a good idea. Focus on different areas of the body in two- or three-day splits.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Depends on what the goal is.
      Strength or mass gain would be unlikely.
      Muscle endurance and metabolic conditioning gain would be likely. Probably with strength mainenance.

Comment

Strength and mass gains are very likely if you challenge yourself. You may be able to knock out 30 pushups but can you do a single one-armed pushup with good form? How about handstand pushups? One armed handstand pushups? One legged squats? One armed pullups? There's lots to do. I am getting bigger and more defined.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

grumpy,
          on your split idea sure. But on the OP's actual idea of doing a full body circuit daily for extended periods???

Comment

Well, I'm as open to a splits routine really, if it's a smarter route. Mass gain isn't a goal in this case. Thank you for responding.

Comment

here is what i do daily:
              am right after wake up:
              5 sets of push ups 350-450 total
              5 sets pull ups 50-75 total

pm:
              50 burpees for time

7 days a week 15-20 mins total workout time

Comment

Whoa John B, that's a lot of pushups. So, how many can you do in a row without stopping?

Comment

I would think doing a full body bodyweight routine daily is fine, aas long as you aren't pushing it. D maybe half your max reps or les, one set, just enough to feel the blood start.
                  No panting, puffing, grunting, or heavy sweating allowed.
                  You could even do less challenging versions of the essential movements: pushups off a waist high object, aussie pullups, etc.
                  I used to start the day off with: pushups, aussie pullups (back then we called them supine pullups or reverse pushups) situps, Squat-thrusts, and a short run.
                  All of these were done well below capacity. three times a week I did my regular routine (including weights) worked well for me.
                  Last edited by 979roadrunner; 09-16-2010, 01:25 PM.
                  sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                    Whoa John B, that's a lot of pushups. So, how many can you do in a row without stopping?
                    the first set usually 100-125 depending on the day......... at least 80-85 avg for 5 sets
                    pull ups are real tuff after 3 rd st i struggle to get 10-12

Comment

Wow, I have a lot of work to do. I thought doing 30 straight pushups was good.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                        Wow, I have a lot of work to do. I thought doing 30 straight pushups was good.
                        30 straight is good...when i started 10 was a struggle but by doing it everyday i just keep improving , gaining more endurance and strength . the one thing that helped me really increase my push ups was realizing that i was holding my breath while doing them. once i started breathing better my numbers really increased

Comment

I found that when I was doing push ups without push up bars I wasn't going low enough and that has made getting low on the bench press harder now too. I'm really careful to go as low as I can when I push up now.
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I got pretty good results when I was solely focusing on bodyweight conditioning for a few months last year when going to the gym was almost impossible. These days I combine bodyweight exercises with my powertraining routine in the gym. For instance on my legs days I will do some weighted pistols and glute ham raise. On my chest days I'll do some weighted dips, weighted chins on back days and handstand pushups on shoulders day.

Comment

Yeah, my wife and I are going to combine bodyweight workouts and weighted workouts. We miss doing squats and deadlifts with the heavy bar. So, we will probably have one heavy day of weight training, and do bodyweight workouts on the other. We like both.

Comment

Working...
                              X