Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sprints on a treadmill? How to go about it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprints on a treadmill? How to go about it?

I would like to start incorporating sprints at the gym and don't really know how to go about it.
    Has anyone got any tips on how to do it?
    Do I just increase the speed on the treadmill and start running as fast as I can?

Thanks in advance!
    M

I've heard that some treadmills can be programmed for sprint intervals. I would think it would be really awkward though. When I do "sprints" indoors, I use the rowing machine or spinning bike. Is there a track (indoor or outdoor) that you could use? I think this would be much more enjoyable and give better results than trying to sprint on a treadmill.

Comment

Hi yodiewan!
      Thanks for your reply.
      I need to have a look about the interval program on the treadmill. Good idea about the rowing machine, that might be a good option actually. I am not so keen on spinning bikes though.
      I live in Austria and one thing we unfortunately do not have is public tracks.
      M

Comment

What about parks/sidewalks/empty streets/empty fields? Either of those can take a good sprint.
        - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Originally posted by doghead View Post
          What about parks/sidewalks/empty streets/empty fields? Either of those can take a good sprint.
          I am not at a point in my life where I feel ready to take myself out on the streets yet. I simply don't feel confident enough. Fields are not an option and there is nowhere empty as such where I live.

Comment

The treadmill I use has a “sprint” program and I have used it before, thought I was getting a good workout. WRONG! I played in a softball tournament on Saturday, I haven’t played in a couple years but I am in good shape. (I lift 3 times a week and run varied distances a couple times a week as well as this “sprint” program.) My legs STILL hurt from the quick movements and all out sprints! I guess what I’m getting at is nothing compares to actually going out and doing them. The added effort of propelling your actual body weight really makes a difference!

Comment

Originally posted by marktripp View Post
              The added effort of propelling your actual body weight really makes a difference!
              That being said, a treadmill sprint is better than no sprint at all. I'm sure the ones you use will have a program for it, if not, then just ramp up the speed every so often - ease into it, as its an odd sensation, and you don't want to be in a situation where the treadmill isn't slowing down fast enough.
              - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Oh figured I would add the one I use also raises the elevation, and yes treadmill sprinting is better than none!

Comment

I do sprints on the elliptical machine using the Sprint 8 technique:
                  2 min warm up at speed 3
                  30 second all-out sprint at speed 6
                  1.5 minute "active rest" at speed 3
                  Repeat sprint/rest intervals 7 more times
                  Finish off with 2 min rest, for a total of 20 mins
                  Adjust speeds to your fitness level, do fewer intervals if you start feeling faint, etc.
                  I vary the incline throughout the session to keep things interesting, and to make sure I hit all leg/butt muscles
                  Also, and I think this is crucial for elliptical users especially, don't hold on to the handles!! You will get a much better workout maintaining your balance in a more natural way (and it's more hygienic )
                  Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

I do sprints on my treadmill. It's old and does not have sprint programs.

I simply warm up 3-5 min, then up the speed to where I am working hard, go for a certain amount of time--sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 1 min, sometimes 90 seconds, then I lower the speed to a comfortable walk for a certain amount of time (usually 1-2 min) and repeat.

I try to up my working hard speed regularly.

Comment

For football, when we would opt for the treadmill sprints it worked like this... but it only works if you have the side steps/planks on the treadmill

Do your warmup, then step off to the sides of the treadmill and crank the speed to something you know you can jump onto without falling off. That's it, you leave the treadmill at your "sprint" speed and jump on for your sprint and jump off for your rest.
                      I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

I personally don't like the treadmill for sprints, gives me shin splints. I use the elliptical or now an AMT machine for sprints. It works well and I don't hurt myself. Does the place you exercise at have a gymnasium? If so you can sprint there too, or do pool sprints.
                        Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Thanks for the great replies!
                          M

Comment

A good one I have been doing recently:
                            1.5 min at 4.5 speed
                            1 min at 10 speed
                            1.5 min at 4.5 speed
                            1 min at 8 speed

Do this 5 times

Comment

WARNING - this is an advanced exercise and requires a very high exertion level. DO NOT attempt if you are untrained. If sprinting is new, start with 25-50% i.e. speed 50% of normal pace, and only 4 reps. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Tabata treadmill hill sprints: 20 seconds work + 10 seconds rest x 8 reps = 4 minutes of awesomeness
                              This is an all-out 4 minute bout. 100% effort.
                              You should be total exhausted at the end or you not doing it right.

Warm up

Setup
                              -turn on treadmill
                              -Set treadmill to max incline
                              -set speed to 80% of normal running speed
                              -wait for the 1 minute mark on the timer

1:00 hold hand rails and jump on. Work run forest run!
                              1:20 hold hand rails and jump off, one foot on each side of tread. Rest
                              1:30 Work
                              1:50 Rest
                              2:00 Work
                              2:20 Rest
                              2:30 Work
                              2:50 Rest
                              3:00 Work
                              3:20 Rest
                              3:30 Work
                              2:50 Rest
                              3:00 Work
                              4:20 Rest
                              4:30 Work
                              4:50 jump off and lower incline and speed to a comfortable walk
                              Jump back on and walk until heart rate recovers to warm up level

What Are Tabata Sprints? | Mark's Daily Apple
                              Tabata Treadmill - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X