How do I know if I'm over working myself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know if I'm over working myself

I'm just afraid I'm overworking myself with exercise considering i feel sore all the time.

I take it you are referring to weight lifting. I would say if you are making gains in muscle mass and or the lbs. you are lifting from week to week/session to session than you are not overworking yourself. The human body can take a tremendous amount of stress before it is "overworked". In fact, a common conception among people is that "you're not working out hard enough unless you become sore". Now I don't agree with this statement, but in the same token if you're not feeling "anything", that's probably not a good indication either.

Comment

I agree with Forgotten18-If you continue to get weaker each workout for several workouts, you're probably not giving your body enough time to heal.

Comment

How's your mood? Are you irritable? Depressed? If so, you are definitely over-taxing yourself.

Also, if you feel sore all the time, have you had your D3 level checked? When I was deficient, I felt like I had DOMS all the time. Descending stairs was very painful. Once I added D3 (now taking 7000 IUs daily) the pain went away.

You also may want to check your thyroid status as well.

Comment

Can you give more information:

What is your weekly workout schedule like including the number of days you train / duration of workouts?

What is your age?

Comment

Ok, I'm gonna stop worrying now. The aching went away and I've decided to do the scaled down version of crossfit. I'm 19 btw.

Comment

Anytime you have DOMS it is a good idea to gently work the aching muscles

Comment

Graeme: For a guy where english is second language. What is DOMS?

/Anders

Comment

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Comment

Very hard to overtrain the body, but relatively easy to under recover. Keep a workout log, and if you are having consistent decrease in performance and energy levels, scale back and recover. DOMS isn't a tell tale sign to go more or go less, but performance and overall energy levels are usually more reflective of your needs.

Comment

what if I feel tired and run down all the time...like its a chore to lift my legs... I am also wondering if I am not resting enough.. my workout log is here:

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46&sid=d348e1346ac5aa7b61dfb1 48bac0ce16&start=25

usually heavy lifting 3 days a week. In the beginning of May I started working again and it's a pretty physical job...Im wondering if that is affecting my energy and recovery

Comment

A method I use to estimate if I am over training is by checking my heart rate immediately after exercising for 10 seconds ( measure my heart rate for 10 seconds, not exercise for only 10 seconds). Then 50 seconds later check my pulse for another 10 seconds. You have to know what your max/target heart rate is going to be for those 10 seconds, mine is 28 beats in those 10 seconds. Normally my heart rate has dropped by about 5 or 6 beats , to 22 or 23 beats, at the 50 second count. If my heart rate hasn't dropped that amount or is starting to climb, to 26 or 27 beats, then I usually take it easier for a few days, watch my food intake, and do some active recovery such as easy bike rides or yoga.

This seems to work for me and I have avoided over training for the last year since reading about this method off the crossfit endurance website. Hope this helps.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                        X