Body giving out before heart does...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kinda figured we weren't talking tabata's for this lady
    That's why I suggested alternating rather than once/week.
    I'd still like to see some attempt to get the muscles working continuously aerobically at any level they can do it as soon as possible.
    If there isn't one then 'ez intervals' become the only choice.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your input. I know I was asked if I have been doing PB since March, unfortunatly I didn't. I had other issues with food that I have been dealing with and feel ready to tackle my overall health now. As for exercise, I really do enjoy it and I enjoy riding the bike. I would love to get smaller and stronger to take it to biking outside. That is a dream of mine. Also, I would love to jog or run once the weight is down. Not for the exercise part, but for the fact I have NEVER been able to jog on the beach or through the mountains, etc. So these are things I imagine doing just for pure FUN!!!

Comment

Hi goin2befit and congratulations on taking control of your life and fitness! One of the biggest problems I have had was patience. I used to run about 6-7 miles a day, 5 days a week and loved it! Since I put back on my weight, it has been hard for me to pace myself to doing things slower like walking. I started at about 270 a few months ago and down under 240 now and most of that has come off in the last couple of months. Yesterday I jogged for the first time in years!

In addition to what has been said about the numbness in the legs (that concerns me also), be patient and the weight will come off. Activity as tolerated and recognize the differences between muscle pain and other pain/numbness. As much as I dislike modern medicine, think about going to the doctor and get a few test run. Like most doctors, if they find anything wrong they are going to recommend either medicine or surgery and it is your choice if you take their recommendation or not but at least you will have an idea as to what the problem is and find a more holistic way of dealing with it if you opt out of the CW medical recommendations.
        Randal
        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

My recommendation is get thee to a doctor and off teh interwebz! It may be something as simple as sciatica, a pinched nerve, or it could be something really scary (probably not, I hope) like thrombosis. (Really, probably not). But we're neither trainers nor health care professionals, and diagnosing over the net is never a good idea.

I'd say keep walking, and walk over to your doc, get cleared, do some easy walking and don't worry about your heart rate for now. 80% of this is eating right, so get that under control and walk, walk, walk. But do get cleared by your physician.

Comment

I second Abu Reena. Simple walking will do a world of good until you get your weight down. Right now, your focus should be on diet. Get your diet in check, start losing weight, and everything else will be much easier. As you decrease weight, increase your walking distance and speed. Then, add in some weight training at some point.

Comment

I would also ask what you have been monitoring your heart rate with. If it's the heart rate monitor on your equipment they are often inaccurate.
              I've even had issues with 'gym quality' HRMs on equipment at the gym.
              I usualy prefer percieved rate of exertion. Go hard enough to breath sort of hard and sweat some, but don't push yourself to puffing, gasping exhuastion. You should be able to hold a conversation. And I don't mean " yeah...I've been...trying anew...eating/ exercise....protocall"
              Conversation, not talking between gasps.
              Please find out what your numbness is, in case it's dangerous.
              sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

I would agree with the others about getting the numbness checked out, just to rule out a physiological problem other than the particular exercises that you are choosing to do being the cause of it. That being said, the fact that the numbness occurs when you bike or walk sounds like a circulation problem that may well be connected to musculature. When you're sitting on a bike, especially if you haven't for a while and are heavy, it's a common problem. I weigh about 200 and have had the same exact problem when biking. A solution for that might be going to a bike store and purchasing a different type of seat, or a seat cover with gel cushions in it to install on your bike.

As for the walking, again...having medically ruled out any significant physiological cause, it could be a matter of tight glute muscles. There are several stretches that you could do prior to and then after walking that may benefit you. Google glute stretches.

Comment

Working...
                X