No announcement yet.

alternatives to Vibrams?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which vibramsdo you have? Can you adjust the back maybe? It could be a temperature/time of day size difference in your feet.

I bought Sprints a size larger than I'd technically need so I could leave them a little loose. I don't have any problems with them not staying put on my feet and they don't choke my achilles.

I know that doesn't help you now though.

I had some problems with them being a little uncomfortable when wearing them for more than 45 minutes so I started using Body Glide on my feet. (It's a runner/triathlete thing, basically a giant chapstick)

Maybe if you use it reduce the friction there it won't be so annoying?

Comment

Thanks Andrea. I have Sprints. The pain was so bad, I gave up after walking to the front door of my office building. I was at my desk for about 3 hours before that, so may be the inactivity resulted in water-retention, don't know. Will try applying some vaseline next time.

Comment

One other thing to consider that hasn't been touched on yet. The best alternative to Vibram is...barefoot! Yep, get your bare naked tootsies out into the light as much as possible. Should be easy to do at home. Use a little more care in the yard. Proceed with extreme caution when you enter into public areas (Grok didn't have to deal with broken glass or smoldering cigarette butts.) Depending on your work situation, you might be able to go (somewhat) barefoot in the office too.

Comment

I'm with Geoff! I started hiking and trail-running/sprinting barefoot this year. At first, I could only do it for half a mile before I'd put my shoes back on to finish (I just carried them with me). But after a few times, I was able to go barefoot for however long I was out. It took a few more times before the gravel road sections didn't "smart".

I only do it once a week, but I'm sure if I could find the time for 2-3 times a week, my feet would uber-tough in no time.

Comment

Geoff & NeoPaleo, I'm always barefooted at home, we even ask our guests to get barefooted, hahaha - well, actually it's a cultural thing, kind of like that Korean former-girlfriend of Frank Costanza's in Seinfeld but I digress. I wear flat sandals to work and when I'm at my desk I remove them and have many times walked barefooted w/o realizing. But I need to get used to the idea of walking barefooted on craggy trails. How do you deal with stones, glass, metal scraps etc while walking barefooted?

Comment

Maba -

We're a "barefoot in the house" family too! I am a big fan of Five Fingers, and wear them when I go in public places - there are a lot of hazards to be found and it's impossible to spot them all. Remember Rule #9 (Avoid Trauma). I don't want to step on broken glass or any other dangerous hazzard underfoot. When I need a less casual shoe than Five Fingers (or when I am working a more technical trail) I wear Nike Free 3.0. If I need a "business" shoe then I wear what the occasion requires, chalk it up to the 80/20 rule and get out of the bad shoes as soon as I can.

Comment

I guess I just try to keep my bare-footing to places I'm reasonably sure there will be no broken glass - my own yard, and the parks I go to for hiking and trail running and sprinting.

As far as stones and some pretty pointy roots, you just get used to it.

Also, I noticed that after walking down this one particular rocky creek (6" to 2' deep) I like to walk down (while barefoot), my feet muscles were pretty sore for a couple days. The "baby head" rocks really helped to strengthen those muscles even more than just the running around in bare feet did. But after a couple times, my feet were used to it and they weren't sore anymore.

The trails I go on are usually pretty deserted, but I do pass by others occasionally and they make comments sometimes - it's pretty funny - like "Whoa dude! That's crazy!", "You're really brave.", "No shoes huh?", and my favorite, "See mom! HE doesn't have to wear shoes!"

Oh, something else I noticed since traveling barefoot through the woods, and have confirmed the few times I have gone back to using shoes, the animals and birds are way less "skittish". They either don't run/fly away at all or they only do so when I'm much closer to them. Some, I think it's because I end up sneaking up on them (barefoot is so much quieter), but others do see me and just choose not to bolt.

Comment

I bought a pair of old school chuck taylors for lifting and they are awesome. They have a nice flat hard sole for good "floor grip" when squatting/deadlifting. I've noticed that my feet and ankles have gotten stronger since wearing them over running shoes.

Comment

I have a very sensitive, soft skin and would never be able to walk barefoot on a hiking trail. Any little rock or a twig, or whatever, will definitely hurt me big time. It's not just the skin on my feet. It's like that all over my body. My skin is very easy to cut or scrape.

Comment

I've tried barefoot running in socks, seems to help at least a little bit with blistering.

Has anybody tried these? http://www.lunasandals.com/custom-huaraches/10-cu.html Cheaper than most alternatives, although it might be a little inconvenient for those in the north...

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

fitnes spotlight just did a post on this today or yesterday.

Comment

Oh, the irony... Still didn't mention anything about those Huaraches though. I'm thinking I should order a pair but would appreciate a second opinion

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Working...
                          X