No announcement yet.

Flexibility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once heard somebody compare flexibilty to youth, by comparing how a baby/young child is extremely flexible and how stiff most adults are. Thus by keeping flexible we maintain youth. I'm not doing what he said any justice at all, but it just stuck with me and for some reason made me always work on my flexibility lol.

Comment

F
      Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
      I often find strength a limiting factor in yoga. To date, I've not found a progression that I consider right for easing a fat, tight, weak (relative to his weight, at least) peson into it without pain. For this reason, I've never stayed with it more than, one time, two weeks (at which point I recieved a shoulder injury doing a yoga derived shoulder stretch.
      If you are having pain, you are doing it wrong, and NOT easing in. I am 5-8 @195# and not a terribly limber person. I started doing yoga about six weeks ago, and with going between 3 and 5 times a week, I feel more flexible than I ever have.

Comment

I agree about flexibility preventing some from being injured. I'm a prime example of that!
        Babies are born flexible for the birth.
        Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
        Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
        Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Comment

Whatever fitness activity you do will require a certain amount of flexibility. If you lift barbells, you'll soon be able to perform full ROM for the major lifts. If you train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, you'll be able to bring your legs close to your torso to prevent guard passes, for example. If you have a reason to be flexible for a certain activity, doing that activity will make you flexible enough.

If you feel a certain type of flexibility would benefit you, then you can work on it, but I see it more as a means to an end than an end in and of itself.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by tooround View Post
            I'm not sure what good being that flexible has done for me.
            Originally posted by Dannielle View Post
            I wonder what the point is? I've always been flexible (I just tried the reaching test and the palms of my hands can go past my toes) but I don't see how that benefits me.

It's easy to take mobility for granted when you have it! People with poor mobility have a hard time doing many simple tasks that you probably don't even think about, like tying your shoes.

Originally posted by avocado View Post
            This thread reminds me a little of the one on money. I think it's easy to dismiss flexibility when you naturally (or through your activities) have all the flexibility you need.

But lots of us are naturally (or due to office work) inflexible enough that our activities are restricted and we're prone to strains if we don't specifically work on flexibility.
            +1
            "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

These days I think mobility (ROM) concept is better then flexibility concept.
              As everything else, if you don't use, you lose it.
              Grok probably did all (or most) kinds of movements, so had great mobility and great flexibility.

The mobility seems to be affected by strength, core stability, and connectivity tissues.
              (There was a youtube video that shows how the core stability can immediately affect the mobility, but I cannot find it right now.)
              So, I think all these trainings can help mobility and flexibility:

- Yoga. I do Yin Yoga for connectivity tissues

- Regular strength exercises. I mostly do bodyweight (I highly recommend Al's books)

- Core exercises:
              * plank, side plank
              * bridge
              * arch (superman)
              * hollow

- Shoulder blade stability exercises. I am doing these:
              * kettlebell or barbell overhead squat (also good for hip joint)
              * kettlebell bent press
              * kettlebell press in squat position
              * Shoulder dislocation
              Last edited by vincebae; 07-02-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X