Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whole body vibrators

done
    Last edited by cabeman; 09-12-2010, 12:32 AM.

http://www.google.com/search?q=vibra...ient=firefox-a

Is that what you're talking about? I suspect that no, they're not all that.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

The Power Plate is one the reasons that I had to leave my job at globo-gym. Don't even waste your mental space considering it. Ugh.
      "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

That reminds me of those old machines that would vibrate your ass with some sort of sheet. 1920's maybe.
        My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

Works through fascilitaion of the golgi tendon organ (GTO) via the tonic vibration reflex. I own one in my PT clinic and use it extensively

Comment

Whew, I thought this was a thread about vibrators. Not that I'd be surprised..
            .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
            ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Whole body orgasm, what?!
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

done
                Last edited by cabeman; 09-12-2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

done
                  Last edited by cabeman; 09-12-2010, 12:39 AM.

Comment

The reason for that is that most people on this forum are more naturalistic in their philosophies. That just looks like another "thing" ala all the other "things" that have been sold on late night television. What are your goals? If you tell us those, perhaps people can give you advice that will help you achieve them. Coming here to ask about a "thing" especially something called a whole body vibrator is bound to get you some snickers. Just my two cents.

Comment

visionteacher: sort of like kettleballs, shovelwhatevers and other things when a simple rock or a dumbbell would do. We all have our "things". (Actually, I would prefer taking up adagio dancing!) My "thing" is new to this forum. I can see that. I understand that people often look down on new things until they are proven. Actually, I am sort of doing that myself. I haven't run out and bought one of these things. I wish that I could try one somewhere for a week or so.

The talk I have had from people using whole body vibrators is that they get over pain and injury quicker, they get exhausted in a short time instead of working for 45 minutes or so, the workout is definitely felt in their muscles, using for more than about 10 minutes really gets to them and they are sore for a few days.

I have heard that geriatric patients have increased tone and strength somewhat just by standing on the device for a while.

My interest is the rapid workout and tone without too much strain on already severely lastimated right knee, right shoulder, and left elbow. I have restricted range of motion in various parts of my body. I just pushed too hard and fell too hard a few times, I guess.
                      In the game of Rock, Paper, Scissors

shotgun always wins.

Comment

done
                        Last edited by cabeman; 09-12-2010, 12:31 AM.

Comment

It was all the rage a few years ago but the evidence just isn't coming together so the popularity is fizzling.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

The entire concept of these things is dubious. Here is the claim in a nutshell (based on Nordictrac's website):

You can get the same workout results from 50% of the exercise.

OK, but they don't give any information about how much exercise the non-vibrating group did, nor do they show a group that did half the exercise, without the vibrator. Just from the data they omit, I have to assume they are trying to scam me.

If you can find a real study that can quantify all of the variables and has the appropriate controls to isolate the effects of this machine, then you can look at buying one - until then it is all just infomercial hype and spin.
                            PaleoDirectory.com - website directory for blogs, shopping, information and other resources related to everything Paleo, Primal and alternative.

Comment

Hey all,

I do have something nice to say about these. My father died last year but in reality he died a slow death over the last 10 years from agent orange in Vietnam. He was 66.

My father was always active and played sports until this started in the late 90s. It started with peripheral neuropathy (nerves die in arms and legs) and severe diabetes and a few other ailments. By the end he could only stand holding onto something because he had zero feeling in his legs below the knee or arms below the elbows. He said it felt like the numb tingling pain of your foot waking up after falling asleep. All this caused terrible circulation of blood and lymphatic system and his legs swelled… bad

Long story short once of these helped him regain the circulation in his legs so they did not have to be amputated. So they do have a place… but not with anyone who has the ability to walk IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X