No announcement yet.

P90X- results people have had?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my profile pic shows my results. i lost 25 lbs my first round, i did a second round hybrid with turbo fire but didnt get many results. i burned out on it, i'm so glad i found the primal blueprint because its more suitable to my lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
      I didn't even know there was a P90. ... P90 might be more in line with Primal Fitness??
      Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
      ... I think I would try the P90 (no x) instead. It's more for beginners, a little less intense with shorter workouts.
      P90 or Power90 SUCKS! Essentially 2 alternating workouts w/ a very slight variation on each for "when your ready". It's boring, it's stale, It's also almost 10 years old, pre muscle confusion, etc. You'd be better off with something newer or PBF or made up IMO. Note: I did it for about 80 days about 8 years ago.

I touched on it in this blog post: Why P90X is X’d Out for Me, At Least for Now
      Last edited by befitby40; 08-19-2011, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I finished the program and did have good results. I had already lost 30 pounds before hand by switching to paleo, but had started plateauing. I lost an addition 15 on P90X and saw a great gain in cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance without losing much strength. Pull ups became a snap afterwards as well.
        "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
        Quote on the Father's Sword

Comment

Originally posted by befitby40 View Post
          P90 or Power90 SUCKS! Essentially 2 alternating workouts w/ a very slight variation on each for "when your ready". It's boring, it's stale, It's also almost 10 years old, pre muscle confusion, etc. You'd be better off with something newer or PBF or made up IMO. Note: I did it for about 80 days about 8 years ago.

I touched on it in this blog post: Why P90X is X’d Out for Me, At Least for Now
          I'll agree with the boring and the lack of variety, but why is it bad for being 10 years old? How old is starting strength? How long has Mark been doing PBF?

Also, I remember reading that muscle confusion is not supported by science. Am I wrong?

Comment

I will be doing 3 of the p90x workouts to stay fit, but only maybe half a video at a time, as i've found the workouts to be a little intense

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
              I'll agree with the boring and the lack of variety, but why is it bad for being 10 years old? How old is starting strength? How long has Mark been doing PBF?

Also, I remember reading that muscle confusion is not supported by science. Am I wrong?
              I never said "bad" and to think there haven't been advances in fitness routines for the last 10 years is naive, certainly in the mainstream and home DVDs. Perhaps "muscle confusion" is not supported by science or perhaps a scientific study has not been done to support the theory but it seems to be a pretty widely accepted training principle maybe just not by that name/title (® Beachbody?). Crossfit sort of calls it, "Constantly Varied, Functional Movements, at a High Intensity "

Either way, IMO you'd be better off doing quite a slew of other things that may be more FUN & "Primal" than Power90 was my point.

Comment

Originally posted by befitby40 View Post
                *sniP*

Either way, IMO you'd be better off doing quite a slew of other things that may be more FUN & "Primal" than Power90 was my point.
                No argument here.

Comment

I have never done P90x. But don't exercise to lose weight; exercise to build strength and endurance. Eat right (and less) to lose weight. The only thing I did very consistently when losing weight was long walks before breakfast every morning - time consuming but not hard or stressful.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by astronmr20 View Post
                    My bad- you are right.

I never owned power90...
                    No worries. Was just thinking which would be best to fit with a Primal lifestyle.

Comment

A friend of mine gave me P90X after he was finished with it, and I did all the DVDs once. I already work out fairly reguarly with bodyweight exercises so the program was nothing super fancy to me. I did learn a couple new moves that I incorperate into my current workout. If you are not that experienced with bodyweight stuff then the program is great, although definitly overtraining. As others said, do it once or atleast enough to understand the moves, then make your own program.

I do not know anything about yoga, so I refuse to play around with the yoga DVD in fear of huirting myself, I might give it a try if I had proper training.

I don't like the Kenpo X video because I have a 3rd degree brown belt in Kenpo, and that video fucks up my form and flow, haha.
                      “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

Comment

I had okay results, I did it in college so my results were curbed by partying and poor lifestyle, but ya it was overtraining.

I did learn a ton of moves and incorporated them into my routine, so ya I took a lot away from it. Even if you don't follow the workout routine, some of the moves are sweet.

The yoga is pretty sweet. I had quite a bit of experience doing yoga, and it is very intense (and long at over 90 mins). I would say if you're worried about form, go to a beginner yoga class once or twice and learn the basics, then give it a try.

Comment

I went from 240 to 212 in 90 days. For me, someone who has worked out for roughly 30+ years, the issue was the time commitment. 1 hour per day, 6 days per week in addition to being a husband and father of two while working long hours at work, the program is not sustainable over the long haul.

Comment

My experience with it was I lost weight and gained muscle initially, but despite all the "muscle confusion" design of the program, I plateaued and burned out. Did two rounds. I hung on Tony's every word- and gave 110 percent, so I thought that feeling like marinated dog crap was how a hard-training athlete was supposed to feel when really training hard.

To reiterate, though, the workouts are not bad for primal if you cut them down to a half-hour and just give it your all-- and do them no more than twice a week.

Anyone in the fitness forum here, or on this thread wondering "which fitness program to crush," remember- losing weight and reprogramming your genes is 90% diet, and 10% how you exercise.

Comment

My own experience mirrors the advice of Mark and many others, that an intense program like P90x is not a good one for weight loss if that's your main goal. I'd try 1 hr brisk walk before breakfast every morning, sprints once per week, and a day or two of intense heavy lifting as a weight loss-centric exercise plan. If you want to lose weight fast, you'll need to be on a caloric deficit regardless of your carb intake, eventually - and this will affect your recovery ability for an intense daily exercise program and make you feel like "marinated dog crap" - by comparison, I am currently on a 5 days per week weight lifting sched, but I make sure to eat lots and lots of food every day to maintain or gain weight overall - and I don't feel like soiled underpants every day. Only after deadlifting...
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

You must first realize that the "classic" P90X is not a weight lose program. It's a strength training program. The Lean version focuses more on weight lose. If losing weight is your goal, it's more about diet than the exercise. I have completed P90X, Insanity and Asylum. All are great programs that deliver results if you are committed. Yes, they tend to fall into the over training/chronic cardio. But then again, take a look at Tony. He's a madman and he's 53. The issue with most of these programs, and Mark has stated this before, is sustainability. Most people can't do P90X for the rest of their lives.

If you want to get in shape, P90X will getyou there. There is no doubt about it. The greatest gift P90X will bestow upon you is the freedom to explore other workouts you couldn't do prior to completing the program.
                                "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X