Video: Fitness training for a first Grand Canyon hike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Fitness training for a first Grand Canyon hike

Those of you who've been around awhile know my thing is backpacking, and I've been creating videos for about a year on various hiking topics. If you had asked me a year ago if I was going to do a fitness video I woulda told you "you are crazy", but my goal with my videos is to instruct, to fill holes in the readily available knowledge base. I kept on seeing people ask "I'm getting ready for my first Grand Canyon hike, what should I do to get in shape?", and often get poor responses. So I made the following video, despite the fact that nobody wants to see a 62-year old fossil in spandex. Please keep in mind when viewing that the exercises are specific to hiking up and down canyons with a loaded pack, so you won't see presses, etc.

I know I have lots of form issues, many of which originate from my back problems: wobbles on my squat as I come up, hips too far forward on my lunges, crappy balance on my Bulgarian splits, but I do what I can. Your constructive feedback would be welcomed. It is likely that this will be my first, last and only fitness video, but always looking for ways to improve.
    Click here for my hiking and backpacking Youtube Channel

Congratulations on your video, now go hike Kimball a few times to really prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_H View Post
      Congratulations on your video, now go hike Kimball a few times to really prepare.
      Yeah, that is a good one! Last time I did it I went up Finger Rock and down Pima Canyon trails. Argh.

Comment

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the video and learned a few things. It gave me some ideas of stuff to do prior to a hiking expedition (be it GC or elsewhere). Maybe post it in the hiking thread too?
        "On a snow covered mountain time stands still and clarity enters the mind"
        "I want to find out what happens if I don't give up"

Comment

Originally posted by DavidA View Post
          Thanks for posting. I enjoyed the video and learned a few things. It gave me some ideas of stuff to do prior to a hiking expedition (be it GC or elsewhere). Maybe post it in the hiking thread too?
          Glad you got something out of it! I thought about posting to the hiking thread, but whoever reads that comes to the main fitness forum, so probably best not to double-post.

Comment

Kurt, I just watched your training video, and imho it's excellent! I hope you'll produce a series as your own training evolves.

PS: I'd give my eye teeth for those calves (if I still had them).
            Ht: 5'8"
            Wt: 166
            BF: 9%

Everybody wanna be big, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weights! - Ronnie Coleman

Comment

Originally posted by Michael S View Post
              Kurt, I just watched your training video, and imho it's excellent! I hope you'll produce a series as your own training evolves.

PS: I'd give my eye teeth for those calves (if I still had them).
              Thanks for the encouragement Michael, much appreciated. Calves: it's all about running with a forefoot strike in Vibram Five Fingers -- every stride is an eccentric firing of the calf muscle!

Comment

Outstanding! Great tips and exercises. I have a friend who is considering joining me this year on the R2R2R in October and I plan to send her a link.
                M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
                - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Comment

Originally posted by Meant2Move View Post
                  Outstanding! Great tips and exercises. I have a friend who is considering joining me this year on the R2R2R in October and I plan to send her a link.
                  Hey, that's great! I really value your opinion, given your obvious expertise in this area. Hope it helps your friend!

Comment

Very nice video with a lot of helpful tips. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by deye81 View Post
                      Very nice video with a lot of helpful tips. Thanks for sharing!
                      Thanks. It has unexpectedly become one of my more popular videos.

Comment

Working...
                      X