No announcement yet.

Primal cost me my job, kinda.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not intending it to be slander against Montessori schools, but I was briefly in one when I was 2 or so.

My parents decided the people running it kinda weirded them out, and pulled me out and put me in a much more convenient day care elsewhere.

About six months later it came out that the whole lot of them had been arrested for having a couple of acres of pot plants, and it turned out they were all members of a cult that believed they were reincarnated 40000 year old immortal warriors.

How's that for primal?

Comment

Wow that's pretty crazy, Nick.

Like everything else though, they run the gamut. You have to make sure you get a good one.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

There's one right down the road from my house. So far I haven't seen any pot plants or mass suicides, so you're probably right.

Comment

Going back to the origional post- I ran into problems at work too. We often have catered training events and meetings which usually consist of sandwiches and muffins. I would casualy get out my bowl of salad and just eat that. Then my Boss took me aside and told me that I wasn't allowed to do this as it was rude to bring my own food to a catered event and that i should eat what is provided! Needless to say i took no notice and continued to bring my own lunch. It is no longer an issue as people expect me to do this. I also request changes whenever we have evening meals such as 'no potatoes' but I still have issues with overnight events being catered for that I can't provide my own meal (lack of cool storage for salad etc.)for and no menu being provided beforehand (I mean who would have though peopel could have a problem with a sandwich, crisps and a chocolate bar for lunch?)

Luckily though my work has a tolerance policy about appearance (it's not law- but the UK has a petition to get appearance added to the legal list of discrimination after the murder of a young woman because she was dressed as a Goth). I feel free to dress Goth for work but get a better reaction when I tone it down- which I do when I have meetings.

Alt-pride...proud to be alternative.

Comment

PJAP: If they are asking for your letter of resignation its because that way whent hey have it you can't really say "I was fired" because they will have proof you resigned. Plus it may screw you out of any unemployment benefits. I would call back your ex-boss and ask why should you give them that letter if they fired you. Because you if gave them that letter, it would be a lie.

Comment

Huh. You'd think the boss would prefer you solving the problem on your own, rather than constantly and vocally pissing on whatever food was ordered for the events while lecturing everyone about your dietary restrictions.

Comment

If it's a forced resignation, you absolutely can dispute that to unemployment in the great Commonwealth of PA. Do you know of a good HR rep our council? They can be of help in this situation.

My S.O. is going through a similar situation currently.

Comment

PJAP, It just occurred to me that perhaps if in this situation again (at least with the food). Tell them you keep kosher and can't have their food. What can they say? Legally -- nothing.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Yeah, she actually called me yesterday and left me a message stating how disappointed she was that I didn't give her a letter of resignation. She let me go! It's clear discrimination, the food, the way I look, all of it. Asking me to dress professionally and "conservatively" while the rest of the crew walked around in sundresses and flip flops. I should have taken photos. I am worried sick that I will have to fight with unemployment now that she is going to try and say I quit, AND I don't have any concrete proof that I was discriminated against or asked to leave.

Comment

Firing you and then lying about it to avoid paying unemployment has got to be some kind of committing fraud via state documents or something. Seriously, talk to the relevant labor authority there if you run into problems getting unemployment.

Realistically, though, businesses have every right to discriminate due to employee appearance, at least at the Federal level. It's simply not one of the protected attributes. You might be able to scare them if you send a threatening letter implying they've violated your civil rights because how you eat is a religious issue, but ultimately if push comes to shove, are you going to lie under oath and say eating primal is a religious issue? You'd also have to show that's why they fired you, and any employer can always find a more legitimate reason to say they fired someone.

At this point though I'd say stop talking to them and lawyer up (not meaning sue, just only communicate via threatening letters on your attorney's letterhead via certified mail).

Comment

Does eating primal have to be taken up a notch to a religious discrimination issue for the lawsuit to work? Isn't firing someone based on their appearance (if it doesn't contradict company rules that were agreed upon prior to taking the job) and based on what she eats enough for a successful lawsuit? It seems that these aspects of the employee's lifestyle don't in any way jeopardize the company's business, which would be key in the courtroom. Or is Alan Shore the only lawyer who'd win such a case?

Comment

Drop it.

I understand your anger and sense of rejection, to say nothing of the money you need. You will not find a lawyer in the land who would take a case like yours unless you pay upfront.

My sister just successfully won a settlement and promotion from the local Sheriff's office after 25 years of discrimination and not being promoted because she is a woman. And that cost her many tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees that she had to pay upfront! Further, she has a law degree and my brother is a lawyer, but not in labor. So, with all those balls in her court, it was still nip and tuck on the outcome for almost a year.

You weren't there long enough to have any track record about anything. Chances are your state and the company you worked for is "employment at will."

They don't have to have a reason, they just don't like you, that's good enough. Employers CAN discriminate! That's how I lost my last job, one I loved. My last supervisor and I never got along and even though I tried soft shoeing, it wasn't good enough. In that case since I was there for five years, I was able to negotiate some pay and health benefits for awhile, and to not contest my unemployment claim.

You can file for unemployment, that is your right. You might be surprised and find out that they won't challenge you. But they can always make you sound incompetent or something. And if you say to the hearing personnel that you were discriminated against because of your diet, without a religious base, they will side with the employer.

I know it hurts, but don't waste any more energy on this. Move on. And next time remember the old adage of "Go along to get along." It's advice I learned rather late in life. When they wanted a first day on the job lunch and you didn't want to participate, you were done right then. It was an insult to not be appreciative about it.

Comment

Bullshit. I am sorry. If they offered me a 5th of whiskey, would I have been obligated to drink it? What about a pack of camels? To me it is no different. Why should I have to swallow my pride, quite literally? I WAS participating. I was hanging out, being friendly. And this "lunch" wasn't so much a welcome as a "hey, we are all working through lunch, so we'll spend $10 on this pizza to keep you at your desk. Welcome to the company."

I'm past it. I am not going to pursue anything other than my unemployment, which I am entitled to, so I can pay my mortgage until I find something else.

Comment

Have it your way. They didn't offer you booze or smokes, and working through lunch is pretty darned common these days. IIRC, you presented it here as a welcome lunch.

Look, I think they screwed you, too, but the underpinning legal realities don't support you. Don't believe me? Call some lawyers specializing in wrongful discharge and workplace discrimination.

You don't seem to be willing to accept good advice from life experience, but let me try one more time: You may FEEL you are entitled to unemployment, but the LAW may say otherwise. And this has nothing to do whether they contest your app or not.

The following has been my experience in two states; they are all similar because of the federal funding: It all has to do with how much you've been employed in the last few years, the wages you earned, how much UI you have used. I don't recall if you mentioned if you had been on UI previously. If you were, that can be picked up again. You may have to wait two weeks, I don't know. If they don't know you worked for a week, I wouldn't tell them, but that's just me. No sense creating problems.

When they dismissed you, they were supposed to have a check for you. The exceptions to this are things like sudden dismissal for gross workplace violations. But that nicety doesn't really help you as long as you get your check very soon. If you had any vacation time started, or PTO, they must pay your for that, too.

Best of luck on your job search. I've been in your shoes any number of times.

Comment

PJAP, Your situation sucks but you probably don't have a leg to stand on if you were only there a week. Most companies have a probationary period of anywhere from 10 days to 1 year. We just fired a guy (for not being able to do his job! He had "embellished" his CV.) at 6 months and for the university I am at he was still in his probation period. I'm still fixing the stuff he messed up 1 month later but that isn't part of your situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X