Request for help w recipes that are primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for help w recipes that are primal

Hello, Newbie here. I've been trying out going primal for a little over a month. I am feeling sooo much better although I haven't yet incorporated everything about the lifestyle.

This question may belong in "recipes" but I decided it might be better in the newbie section. I have tried 4 new recipes found here on the forum or site (forget which) and of those 50% I would consider inedible....no offense to the authors. The 2 successes were vegetable latkes and a squash, sausage, shrimp (minus the shrimp) casserole. The 2 failures were both pancakes (almond banana and hazelnut coffee).

So, help me to understand how to successfully make the recipes that use the primal type flours---I presume that is why these recipes failed when the veggie and meat recipes were successful. They were heavy, impossible to flip, either tasteless or bad tasting. No amount of butter or maple syrup could rescue the hazelnut coffee pancakes I made. I'd rather eat my banana, almond nut butter, and eggs separately!

Input appreciated...

yea I tried cocunut pancakes once and didnt find them that great, Im also still a novice chef so I couldve done something wrong or maybe theres something better out there. Time and money is also an issue for me, all for experimenting if I have the time and can afford to throw it out if it doesnt come out good

Sorry I didnt answer your question but welcome to the forum and good luck!

Comment

Just try the pancakes with 2 eggs and a mashed banana. You c asn add a little baking soda but just eggs and banana is great. Make them small so you can flip them.

Comment

I would recommend for you to FORGET the FLOURS. They go against the "spirit" of paleo/primal because they're pretty processed, and yes they're gluten-free, but that doesn't make them a whole unprocessed food. I mean that in the kindest way...because making those things means you're not really adapting to the paleo menu which is composed of minimally processed things. I made this mistake too as a newbie... coconut flour pizza crust, coconut flour gnocchi, almond meal muffins, etc.

Stop making faleo stuff and just stock up on recipes that are naturally primal/paleo... for example stir fries, curries, stews, soups, steak, omelettes, frittatas, roasts, grilled veggies/meat/seafood, ceviche, salads, etc... usually foods that mimic grain-based foods kind of suck. (The egg + banana pancakes aren't bad though!) If you want something sweet, have fruits and yogurt as your base.
        JOURNAL..
        @BabesWithBBQ.
        Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
        Professional Style Website.
        #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by TQP View Post
          I would recommend for you to FORGET the FLOURS. They go against the "spirit" of paleo/primal because they're pretty processed, and yes they're gluten-free, but that doesn't make them a whole unprocessed food. I mean that in the kindest way...because making those things means you're not really adapting to the paleo menu which is composed of minimally processed things. I made this mistake too as a newbie... coconut flour pizza crust, coconut flour gnocchi, almond meal muffins, etc.

Stop making faleo stuff and just stock up on recipes that are naturally primal/paleo... for example stir fries, curries, stews, soups, steak, omelettes, frittatas, roasts, grilled veggies/meat/seafood, ceviche, salads, etc... usually foods that mimic grain-based foods kind of suck. (The egg + banana pancakes aren't bad though!) If you want something sweet, have fruits and yogurt as your base.
          Yea I definitely agree my problem is time and laziness(mostly time though). Once Im able to cut down to just one job I plan to do more primal cooking, everything I make now usually takes 5-10 minutes max lol

Comment

I'm not a fan of pancakes primal or otherwise but my son sometimes likes them, so I've tried a few recipes. The only one that I've found to be at all edible is a plantain recipe from the paleo mom:

Perfect Paleo Pancakes The Paleo Mom

I find that adapting crepes to paleo is much easier i just substitute 1 part rice flour, 1 part tapioca.
            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

When I have something like that I will just buy a gluten free pre packed mix from the shops and have it as my 20%
              Last time was 2 months ago and the kids made chocolate brownies. Between 3 children and 4 adults (3 don't eat primal, kids don't 100% either) they lasted 2 days.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ima second what TQP said. In my experience, the whole fancy big-to do recipes with nut flours are way more work and aren't even that rewarding. Especially if you're new to primal, I think taking some time and focusing on minimally simply prepared meats and vegetables will help in the long run.

Also, coconut/almound flour/coconut aminos/coconut cream/the most random stuff/ all that crazy primal/paleo ingredients are expensive!

KISS...Keep it simple, stupid! (not calling you stupid, just a well-intended suggestion to focus on the basics).

Edit: I use pinterest, but there are some pretty good blogs out there if you get bored and need new food ideas.

Comment

Thanks everybody! One of the first few days of the 21 day going primal plan is to go shop for primal food to restock your pantry. So I bought a few of the nut flours thinking I should! I do agree its easier just to skip that stuff especially if the results are as pitiful as my first 2 attempts! Good thinking to just buy a gluten free mix and count it as your 20%. I find I probably feel better by not eating the fake pancakes etc anyway. I kindof like to experiment but the expense to just throw it out makes me reconsider! Better a steak at $8.99 lb than almond flour!

Comment

Originally posted by SherryB View Post
                    Thanks everybody! One of the first few days of the 21 day going primal plan is to go shop for primal food to restock your pantry. So I bought a few of the nut flours thinking I should! I do agree its easier just to skip that stuff especially if the results are as pitiful as my first 2 attempts! Good thinking to just buy a gluten free mix and count it as your 20%. I find I probably feel better by not eating the fake pancakes etc anyway. I kindof like to experiment but the expense to just throw it out makes me reconsider! Better a steak at $8.99 lb than almond flour!
                    Exactly! Eat food that is tasty as is without much effort... Steak, eggs, fruits, tubers...

JOURNAL..
                    @BabesWithBBQ.
                    Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                    Professional Style Website.
                    #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Working...
                    X