Thinking of trying paleo but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of trying paleo but...

Hey guys and gals. I have been reading a lot about the paleo diet and I have become intrigued by what it offers. I have had stomach problems all my life, and terrible skin conditions that just won't go away. I also suspect I might have candida overgrowth. I have tried all types of diets except paleo. I just have never had the guts to eliminate grains.

I am a bit a hesitant to to go Paleo though for a couple reasons. One being is the diet doesn't seem to suit my lifestyle. I am a soccer player and I am constantly running about 3 miles everyday sometimes more. I do sprints and weight lift about 3 times a week. On top of that I am in desperate need of gaining weight to get to the next level.

I need to consume at least 3500 calories a day just to maintain my weight. I can't even begin to imagine consuming that much calories on Paleo. Are any of you guys in the same situation? How do you manage? I really want to improve my health but there is no way I am giving up soccer, its my life!

It's not that hard to get your daily calorie intake. This is a higher fat diet and fat is incredibly calorie dense, not to mention tasty. I do plenty of lifting and sprinting and I manage to do just fine on a paleo style eating program.

Comment

I think you should at least give it a try. Some people find they need fewer calories to maintain lean mass on a paleo/primal diet. And why do you say you need to gain weight to get to the next level? It's possible to get stronger without getting heavier at least to some degree.

Comment

Why do you run 3 miles every day? Sprinting alone should take care of all your cardio/endurance needs.

I have done an intense 3 and a half hour long Krav Maga test on an empty stomach, having eaten 22 hours previously, and performed excellently. After a period of a couple of weeks of ditching grains and starches and sugars, the body can adapt to most sports, if you let it. The key is to get through the downtime.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Check out Steve Nash's diet. Even if you're unsure about going low carb you can still eat a lot of fruit and veggies and easily come in under 150 grams of carbs per day. Add to that a lot of fat and protein and you'll easily hit 3500 cals and have plenty of energy to burn. Just ease into it. Don't say you're going to give up grains and legumes forever, just give it a week and plan on having some at the end of your trial period. I bet you'll be feeling so good you'll decide to skip it. If you feel like you're dragging, just eat a banana.

Comment

I am a 46 year old female soccer player - but now only play games on Sundays. I did play in college years ago so I am familiar with your lifestyle. I really wish I knew then what I do now (but don't we all!). I do intense workouts almost every day including some days a P90X workout and a two mile walk with my dogs AND a sprint workout. I have been on PB for two months now and am still struggling a little to get it all right - but I know it is much harder for me at my age with all the changing hormones. My last couple of soccer games I got leg cramps at the end of the game (playing all 90 minutes) and I am still trying to adjust with what to eat prior and what to drink during the games. But it can be done - especially if you are as young as I presume you are. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by soccer24/7 View Post
              I am a 46 year old female soccer player - but now only play games on Sundays. I did play in college years ago so I am familiar with your lifestyle. I really wish I knew then what I do now (but don't we all!). I do intense workouts almost every day including some days a P90X workout and a two mile walk with my dogs AND a sprint workout. I have been on PB for two months now and am still struggling a little to get it all right - but I know it is much harder for me at my age with all the changing hormones. My last couple of soccer games I got leg cramps at the end of the game (playing all 90 minutes) and I am still trying to adjust with what to eat prior and what to drink during the games. But it can be done - especially if you are as young as I presume you are. Good luck!
              Thanks a lot everyone. Soccer24/7, its nice to know that there are others in my situation. It seems tough but I am sure we could pull through. Today I managed to keep my carbs very limited and only consumed veggies and salmon the whole day before going out for a run, I felt fine after, but at about 1 hour after, I started feeling off balanced and faint. I immediately ate an almond butter sandwich and felt better right away. I actually felt a bit scared, but managed to control myself (I suffer from panic/anxiety attacks). If I do go on Paleo and use fat as energy how long will it take me to adapt, and will the fat be as capable as the carbs in supplying me with enough energy?

Comment

1 or 2 weeks at most. And unfortunately no, you still need glycogen for sprinting/weight lifting. So you should keep some good carbs in your diet (NOT grains).
                .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

going paleo/primal may help reduce your level of anxiety/panic as well. I know it did for me...along with learned coping mechanisms. I did my first interview today since going primal and in the past that would have sent me spiraling out of control. Not this time though!
                  I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                    1 or 2 weeks at most. And unfortunately no, you still need glycogen for sprinting/weight lifting. So you should keep some good carbs in your diet (NOT grains).
                    Veggies right ....but are they enough?? Sorry for the questions hahah, I just want to make sure I am getting into this the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovestoclimb View Post
                      going paleo/primal may help reduce your level of anxiety/panic as well. I know it did for me...along with learned coping mechanisms. I did my first interview today since going primal and in the past that would have sent me spiraling out of control. Not this time though!
                      Yeah!! I was reading on that, which is why I am really thinking of going Paleo.

Comment

it's worth it alone for that reason if you live with crippling or debilitating anxiety attacks. Life is so much better now.
                        I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

You can eat sweet potatoes, veggies and fruits for your carbs.

I eat white rice when I am powerlifting and honestly I don't care. White rice is pretty much the least harmful of all grains, but completely void of nutrients.
                          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

My first week or two I had night sweats from the grain withdrawal. I know the faint feeling and have had anxiety in the past too. I have tried to eat a little less the last few days to get to my ideal weight threshold and have had the low blood sugar woosiness after working out - it is kind of scary, but I feel better after eating. It's all a balancing act - at least for me. My pregame dinner the night before my soccer games is filet mignon, a baked potato with lots of butter and a starchy vegetable, usually squash. My games are at 9am or 11am - the 9am is easier because I can't play with anything in my stomach. I usually eat a banana and drink a FRS natural energy drink 30 minutes before the game. My last game was at 11am, so I also ate a sweet potato with butter first thing in the morning. I still had leg cramps at the very end of the game - so still working it out. I eat full fat yogurt with honey or agave nectar, berries and coconut right after the game and I have not had any muscle soreness afterwards as I have the past few years while eating grains.

Comment

Your doing fine - just ease into it, and sooner than later you wont even worry about your diet, itll just be a part of you. I can relate to the love for sport - I am a Rugby player, so running/weights on a daily/weekly basis is where I am at as well. Your body and diet will adjust eventually, and you will feel much better when exercising. Read through the site/forums, there are plenty of people that still do lots of exercise and are primal, its just a matter of knowing exactly how what you ingest affects your body.
                              - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Comment

Working...
                              X