High prolactin levels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High prolactin levels

Hi, I am pretty new to this whole PB, marksdailyapple and have been doing crossfit probably, umm, I'd say a little over a month now. I also keep track of my eating at fitday.com. I've been enjoying reading the different threads, they're great and have been very useful. So thanks.
    Well, I have a twin sister that has been doing the same diet and same exercise routine for about the same amount of time as me. We call each other, give each other advice, exercise ideas (because I actually go to a crossfit gym and she doesn't.)
    She has mentioned to me that she does cheat every now and then, while I have been pretty much 80/20 or more!
    Well, I finally saw her last weekend and noticed a big difference in her weight loss compared to mine. I am very happy for her because she did have more weight to lose then me. So, since I started my diet and exercise routine, I have noticed a change in my physique but also noticed the scale actually has stayed the same, (I'm comparing myself to my twin) and thought for as much work as I am doing both exercise and crossfit, I thought I see greater results.
    The thread that peaked my interest the most has been the one of the no menstrual cycle and the other has been about the weight gain/no weight loss.
    I haven't had a period this past month and I am someone that has been regular all my life. Well, I took myself to see my gynecologist and his nurse called me today to tell me that my prolactin levels were high. I am not pregnant! My husband has had a vasectomy, so it is impossible.
    I am reading on the internet how there might be correlation with no period, high prolactin levels and weight gain. From what I can see high prolactin levels can be temporarily caused by high protien meals, which I've been doing, recent exercise, emotional or physical stress, (CROSSFIT).
    I am going to visit with the doctor tomorrow to see what he recommends and I guess I will take it from there.
    I know this was very long and I'm sorry, but from what I've been reading from others, I feel we're in the same boat. I will keep anyone interested posted.
    Thanks,
    Maria

This is interesting! Thanks for sharing! Do keep us ladies updated on what your doctor says.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Well, I'm cutting back on protien, and adding more vegetables. He said it was nothing to worry about and probably stress related. He wants to see me in a month.
      How much is too much protien.? The one day I tracked it was 117 grams :-/

Comment

I eat 60g of protein/day. If I go above 80g I can't loose weight and over 100g I gain weight.... I don't know if I am just weird but I think for loosing weight you should lower to about 80g and see if that works better for you. Make sure you are replacing the protein with fat calories too, not just veggies.

Comment

Thank you, I will definately try that. I actually had about 71 today. What do you do for fat and carbs?

Comment

You can read my journal (click on my profile and find "all posts"). I eat mostly asparagus and sweet potato (no more than 2/3 cup of the tubers per day and never all in one meal, some days very few carbs but my average has been about 40g/day) and I haven't weighed myself but I'm guessing I've lost 6-8 pounds in the last 3 weeks, with 1 minor cheat day included. I drown everything I eat in grass-fed butter, tallow, or bacon fat. I mix in about 3 TBS of butter for every 1/2 cup of tubers I eat (I know, it's a TON of butter!)

Comment

Ha-ha, i love butter. I always stayed away from it but now that I can eat it, I'm really enjoying it!!
              Thanks Zoe, I will go read your posts, Although it sounds like I should cut on my carbs down too! 

Comment

i eat mainly the fattiest cuts of meat (think porkbelly, tongue etc), drown everything in butter and my protein is about 15% while fat is 75-80& and carbs closer to 5%
                challenge yourself
                i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Zoe that's another thing I'm working on right now, reducing protein. I would easily eat 110-120 grams of protein per day, which is more than 1g/pound of lean body mass for me, and my hubby mentioned that it might be a reason that I've been gaining weight (not all muscle either). This past week I've been supplementing my meals with CO, having it in tea or hot water or coffee, and I've been substantially less hungry, and have finally had days where protein was around 60ish grams (more in line with the .5g/lb LBM that I need). My carbs are higher this way, more like 80-100g/day I think, so we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.
                  You are what you eat,
                  and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Wow! So maybe I'm also eating too many carbs also? I'm averaging about 30 % daily. Fat about 34%

Comment

hmm... high prolactin... what is prolactin exactly?? i cannot believe some of you eat so little protein... and some GAIN with over 100g of protein?!?!?!?!

mmkay my 'scale' i never get on but did this morning said i have 14.3%BF for some reason i keep gaining muscle and it is replacing the fat... last time i got on the scale it said 16.8 and i thought i was going in the right direction...my weight has stayed that same...

but about protein, i easily....easily clock over 160-175g a day and i barely weigh 110 at the moment- it is fatty meat too... with butter added, and veggies, and eggs and coconut milk and cream, and kefir...
                      Get on my Level
                      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

MalPaz, prolactin is the hormone responsible for initiating breastfeeding. So unless you're pregnant and almost ready to give birth, it really isn't necessary! Plus with protein, if you're getting more than necessary your body can turn it into glucose to use as fuel through gluconeogenesis. If you are also getting enough dietary fat to use as fuel, your body then stores that glucose it just made as body fat. That was the short story (obviously).

Protein is important, but fat is more important for some of us. Besides, you came from a very different starting point from many of us, I've never in my adult life needed to gain weight to be healthy! You're doing a great job of healing yourself, but some of us have got to go in the other direction and lose body fat in order to be our healthiest. When things are working for a while (losing weight, getting more muscle tone, etc.) and then you start gaining weight again it can be very frustrating! Just as it would be for you if all the sudden you started losing weight while eating a ton of food. You'd have to reevaluate and try and figure out what to change in order to get back to gaining weight and getting your period back. That's all we're trying to figure out here, how to get back on track while staying healthy and not reverting to CW diet disasters like slashing calories or doing a "master cleanse."
                        You are what you eat,

Comment

i can imagine how frustrated you guys must get doing primal correctly and not seeing results... just something i KNOW has helped me is the mentality especially women take on. until you battle your own mind you're never going to level out to a homeostatic body....like for example:

- you sit down to a meal after rushing home from work in bad traffic, A/C in car broke and you almost killed a turtle
                          - you throw together a steak and salad all while weighing it(150g) and tablespooning olive oil in your salad and being careful of salt sprinkling
                          - you wager you portions while thinking about getting the laundry done/clothes hung on the line and work tomorrow
                          - you sit down to eat and second guess your hunger, your portions, your appetite
                          - you eat while you kids are asking for help on homework and you are worried about your food

....conclusion.... youll never lose weight going about it like this or a similar style... i cannot stress enough the mind/body connection with food, health and weight. this meal if eatten in the above fashion is going to wreak havoc on your body regardless of whether it was 80%fat and 20% protein or what not. the mind, stressing, cortisol, adrenals....its all interlinked to insulin levels.

my best 'advice' (i know i am on the opposite end here but we have VERY similar problems from the other side of the grass) is to work on how you approach primal, how much time you think about food, preparation, stress, jobs, working out, portions, hunger etc etc...
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Well, actually Malpaz, I am a stay at home mom, my three children are 16, 12 and 9, I do some running around but not to the point of driving myself crazy, I have a housekeeper that comes 2 times out of the week to help me here and my 16 year old pretty much drives herself and my two other kids when I need her too.
                            I actually put a lot of thought into what I make for breakfast, their lunches and our dinners, because I do have the time. So, I do not believe it is stress. What I also read that could contribute to high prolactin levels was more about a new intense exercise and also high protien meals. I am doing both and started them at the same time.
                            Not all bodies are created equal and not all of us could be that lucky, it's trial and error for me and I am learning and tweaking as I go, that's the only way.
                            My original post was about no period, high levels of prolactin, new diet/exercise and just to let you all know, I have lowered my protien intake and I got my period. I am very happy! I guess I am doing something right!
                            and btw, thanks hannahc!!!

Comment

No problemo mevs! I'm glad that lowering your protein brought your period back right away, that's so great. I've been really good about keeping my protein more in the .5g/lb LBM all week, and it seems to be helping so far, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it gets me back to my normal happy weight! Thanks for the discussion, it can be really frustrating to go the wrong direction when it seems like at first glance you're doing everything right. I know it's frustrating for me (I've been primal almost a year now), but I feel so much better than I did one year ago that I'm committed to figuring out the specifics of what will make Primal work for me forever
                              You are what you eat,

Comment

Working...
                              X