Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Potato Hackers?

Hello!

I've read a few threads here on potato hacking but can't seem to find a recent one. Is anybody still doing it? Maybe I'm just not finding the right place.

I'm on day 9 of a hack right now and am in love, I'd love to find like minds to talk about it with

This was probably the most recent activity: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74055.html

The potato hack seems especially popular around the holidays! It works! Glad you like it,

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

I am doing it for 5 days.

Journal: www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread87464.html
        ------
        HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

but wait! you're going to eat more than 150g of carbs daily and therefore will have insidious fat gain and not be primal either. lol...

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
            but wait! you're going to eat more than 150g of carbs daily and therefore will have insidious fat gain and not be primal either. lol...
            Lol. Actually I addressed this fear in my newest journal entry.

I don't think what I am doing is primal... It is paleo but primal is low(er) carb. I also never said carbs will undoubtedly make one fat... Just that it never worked for me in the past. If you see my arguments they have pretty much been "you can do low carb or low fat, but primal is low carb and thus newbies are likely asking for advice on troubleshooting low carb by posting on mda" and "ketosis is a good starting point for most but try something else if it doesn't work." After this I will be going back to more of a nutritional ketosis with carb cycling plan.

Honestly though, I am poor and I would love to save $$$$ by just buying potatoes for a week If this works too in trimming fat then all the better.

Last edited by turquoisepassion; 09-04-2013, 06:19 AM.
            ------
            HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by turquoisepassion View Post
              Honestly though, I am poor and I would love to save $$$$ by just buying potatoes for a week If this works too in trimming fat then all the better.
              Oh yeah, it will work. The potato hack is very efficient. I had been in a very difficult situation financially many years ago. I was on a forced potato hack for days until I received foods from my mother. My weight had been yoyo'ing a lot because of this. So I can join the thousands of others who say how efficient this is. Of course, every time I went back to visit my mother (she was living almost 1000km from my study place), I grew fat real fast

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                Oh yeah, it will work. The potato hack is very efficient. I had been in a very difficult situation financially many years ago. I was on a forced potato hack for days until I received foods from my mother. My weight had been yoyo'ing a lot because of this. So I can join the thousands of others who say how efficient this is. Of course, every time I went back to visit my mother (she was living almost 1000km from my study place), I grew fat real fast
                Haha. It should really be called the poor student diet.
                ------

Comment

Lol. Actually I addressed this fear in my newest journal entry.

I don't think what I am doing is primal... It is paleo but primal is low(er) carb. I also never said carbs will undoubtedly make one fat... Just that it never worked for me in the past. If you see my arguments they have pretty much been "you can do low carb or low fat, but primal is low carb and thus newbies are likely asking for advice on troubleshooting low carb by posting on mda" and "ketosis is a good starting point for most but try something else if it doesn't work." After this I will be going back to more of a nutritional ketosis with carb cycling plan.

yeah, i'm just teasing. I haven't read your journal recently.

what i will say is that personally, I don't get caught up in definitions (primal/paleo/etc). I eat whole foods that are healthy and that I tolerate. I could care less about what others think of my diet. it works for me. if you think about it, a few days of potatoes, or a pound of honey in one day seem perfectly paleo by definition. ancestral eating was probably all about periods of famine, periods of feasting, getting a bulk of calories from carbs, then supplementing meat after a kill, gorging on whatever fruit was in season before the animals ate it, and even devouring an entire honeycomb if one came across it. so carbs for days, carb cycling, etc are all perfectly acceptable dietary tweaks. on the other hand, ketosis (especially long-term ketosis), from an evolutionary standpoint, is more than likely not very common in very many areas, and one could argue that it is in fact, not primal/paleo. that's just my take on it

Comment

yeah, i'm just teasing. I haven't read your journal recently.

what i will say is that personally, I don't get caught up in definitions (primal/paleo/etc). I eat whole foods that are healthy and that I tolerate. I could care less about what others think of my diet. it works for me. if you think about it, a few days of potatoes, or a pound of honey in one day seem perfectly paleo by definition. ancestral eating was probably all about periods of famine, periods of feasting, getting a bulk of calories from carbs, then supplementing meat after a kill, gorging on whatever fruit was in season before the animals ate it, and even devouring an entire honeycomb if one came across it. so carbs for days, carb cycling, etc are all perfectly acceptable dietary tweaks. on the other hand, ketosis (especially long-term ketosis), from an evolutionary standpoint, is more than likely not very common in very many areas, and one could argue that it is in fact, not primal/paleo. that's just my take on it
                    Well, I meant "primal" as defined by mark/mda.

I can see your logic... But wouldn't it be also true that during winters/ice age or in places where it is chronically cold, animal parts/blubber/bone broth is almost all they had? I know some tribes do tons of pemmican soup in the winter.

Either way, I kept thinking about chocotaco saying I never actually ate a whole foods high carb diet when I didn't lose weight on 1600 cals of veggies/ quinoa/avocado/ corn/chicken/olive oil/etc. After much thought, I had to concede he was correct. Also it was high in omega 6. Thus, I am doing this hack to revisit higher carb for a little while.
                    ------

Comment

Well, I meant "primal" as defined by mark/mda.

I can see your logic... But wouldn't it be also true that during winters/ice age or in places where it is chronically cold, animal parts/blubber/bone broth is almost all they had? I know some tribes do tons of pemmican soup in the winter.

Either way, I kept thinking about chocotaco saying I never actually ate a whole foods high carb diet when I didn't lose weight on 1600 cals of veggies/ quinoa/avocado/ corn/chicken/olive oil/etc. After much thought, I had to concede he was correct. Also it was high in omega 6. Thus, I am doing this hack to revisit higher carb for a little while.
                      gotcha. I think that's actually part of the problem here though. clearly this is a mda forum, but mark is most certainly not the pinnacle of ancestral nutrition. so you have a lot of people here who have read up and educated themselves from various different sources, and you have a lot of people who are staunch primal blueprint advocates. I think a lot of disagreements on this forum stem from that. obviously, this is mark's forum, but of all of the paleo forums on the internet, this one gets the most traffic and has the most interesting discussions. that is why I still stick around here.

i'm sure that during winters, vlc and even ketosis was definitely common. although, plenty of fruits, veggies, and even (gasp)grains can be dried, stored, etc.

I like the mindset that you bring to this. experimentation. too bad all people can't think this clearly.

Comment

gotcha. I think that's actually part of the problem here though. clearly this is a mda forum, but mark is most certainly not the pinnacle of ancestral nutrition. so you have a lot of people here who have read up and educated themselves from various different sources, and you have a lot of people who are staunch primal blueprint advocates. I think a lot of disagreements on this forum stem from that. obviously, this is mark's forum, but of all of the paleo forums on the internet, this one gets the most traffic and has the most interesting discussions. that is why I still stick around here.

i'm sure that during winters, vlc and even ketosis was definitely common. although, plenty of fruits, veggies, and even (gasp)grains can be dried, stored, etc.

I like the mindset that you bring to this. experimentation. too bad all people can't think this clearly.
                        I like the disagreements, except in 2 scenarios:

- newbie clearly asking to troubleshoot primal blueprint and getting advice that is clearly not PB.
                        -disagreements over woes degenerate into personal attacks on both sides... "You fatty!" "No...you craaaazy!!" "Well... You are a loser." I feel like I am on the set of Mean Girls.

Yes I love experimentation! It is the scientist in me.
                        ------

Comment

I like the disagreements, except in 2 scenarios:

- newbie clearly asking to troubleshoot primal blueprint and getting advice that is clearly not PB.
                          -disagreements over woes degenerate into personal attacks on both sides... "You fatty!" "No...you craaaazy!!" "Well... You are a loser." I feel like I am on the set of Mean Girls.

Yes I love experimentation! It is the scientist in me.
                          it's great to see things from different perspectives. i'm all for it. it bothers me when people are so adamant about certain things that are impossible to be adamant about. like the cico thing. common sense dictates that calories AND hormones both play a role. as well as the quality of the calorie. but certain people are 100% cico, and others say that calories don't matter at all. well...come on now...that one drives me nuts.

I hate the personal attacks and nonsense that carries over from thread to thread. n oplace for that stuff when adults are discussing topics.

aaahhh....science

Comment

it's great to see things from different perspectives. i'm all for it. it bothers me when people are so adamant about certain things that are impossible to be adamant about. like the cico thing. common sense dictates that calories AND hormones both play a role. as well as the quality of the calorie. but certain people are 100% cico, and others say that calories don't matter at all. well...come on now...that one drives me nuts.

I hate the personal attacks and nonsense that carries over from thread to thread. n oplace for that stuff when adults are discussing topics.

aaahhh....science
                            Yes. I don't think it is 100% CICO. That wouldn't explain why I couldn't lose on 1600 cals of the foods listed above (ie. traditional "healthy" food) and running a 1000 calorie deficit a day. Even if I failed to measure food correctly with mere measuring cups instead of weighing, I was still in a caloric deficit zone. It must have been all the exercising stressing my body out, high o-6, and etc. etc.

Also, when I used to eat a whole ice cream cake for my birthday (ugh) and tons of cookies I was still a pant size 8-10 at 5'9" and never above that...while when I starved self on 1200 calories my body refused to lose past pant size 4. Then I ate 1800-2500 cals on VLC with tons of meat/eggs/butter/etc. and maintained at pant size 4. Obviously, calories aren't the only thing at play here. I am convinced my body super upregulates/downregulates metabolism to maintain a certain weight range and thus if I want to lean out I must gain muscle to lose fat.
                            ------

Comment

Yes. I don't think it is 100% CICO. That wouldn't explain why I couldn't lose on 1600 cals of the foods listed above (ie. traditional "healthy" food) and running a 1000 calorie deficit a day. Even if I failed to measure food correctly with mere measuring cups instead of weighing, I was still in a caloric deficit zone. It must have been all the exercising stressing my body out, high o-6, and etc. etc.

Also, when I used to eat a whole ice cream cake for my birthday (ugh) and tons of cookies I was still a pant size 8-10 at 5'9" and never above that...while when I starved self on 1200 calories my body refused to lose past pant size 4. Then I ate 1800-2500 cals on VLC with tons of meat/eggs/butter/etc. and maintained at pant size 4. Obviously, calories aren't the only thing at play here. I am convinced my body super upregulates/downregulates metabolism to maintain a certain weight range and thus if I want to lean out I must gain muscle to lose fat.
                              whatever it is, as long as you keep us updated with lots of pictures, we'll all be very, very happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X