Going primal at 16

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going primal at 16

Hi I am starting this thread to let you know that I have recently gone paleo. It is extremely enjoyable and I am starting to feel happier in myself and more positive. I have converted my dad and learning new things everyday from the primal blueprint book thanks to Mark. However it is tough sometimes and I do eat a dessert (toffee cake the other day) I have lost a lot of weight and starting to convince a fair amount of people paleo is not a diet but a lifestyle change worth considering.

Keep going.
    Try berries and natural yogurt for the occasional dessert.
    If no stuff like cake is bought then there's no junk temptations in the house :-)

Comment

welcome

Originally posted by Buster11 View Post
      Hi I am starting this thread to let you know that I have recently gone paleo. It is extremely enjoyable and I am starting to feel happier in myself and more positive. I have converted my dad and learning new things everyday from the primal blueprint book thanks to Mark. However it is tough sometimes and I do eat a dessert (toffee cake the other day) I have lost a lot of weight and starting to convince a fair amount of people paleo is not a diet but a lifestyle change worth considering.
      my daughter is 15 and we are doing this too, she has problems sticking with it at times. Other kids her age are so skinny it seems even though they eat crap.
      There is so much junk food around for kids its everywhere it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
        Keep going.
        If no stuff like cake is bought then there's no junk temptations in the house :-)
        Berries are great, I haven't seen natural yoghurt though? I went to a farmhouse today and brought some grass fed meat and eggs, and also some fruit and veg. Haha yes that Is very true! Having a hard time to convince the family though

Comment

That's really good to hear, and I know it's because of the people around our age eat badly so we feel slightly cornered into making the wrong choices. I couldn't agree with you more junk food is evil we only have to look around to realise that. We just have to make the gradual change one step at a time, problem is people my age and your daughter just think that you only put on weight when you eat bad, but no it damages your body far beyond imagination.

Comment

Berries are great, I haven't seen natural yoghurt though? I went to a farmhouse today and brought some grass fed meat and eggs, and also some fruit and veg. Haha yes that Is very true! Having a hard time to convince the family though
            Well you're doing great then.
            Also make sure as a growing teen you get some carbs ( depending on how much weight you have to lose).

I eat white rice ( yes a grain - but low toxic one ) for carbs, along with white potatoes and sweet potatoes etc - of coarse plenty of green veg and some fruit - and I'm NOT a growing teen

Natural yogurt ( or Greek yogurt) is naturally white ( no fake color), no added sugar, no preservatives, no added fruit stuffs, no numbers, no junk - just milk and good bacteria thats it.
            Natural yogurt is about 5% fat and natural Greek yogurt is about 10% fat ( I usually get the greek one).

Comment

My son is 15 and eats primal. He occasionally eats non-primal foods if he's with friends, but he doesn't do it often and he prefers real food so there's no worry that he'll make it a habit. He now notices how certain foods don't agree with him especially wheat and seed oils. I do make him primal treats, he's not trying to lose weight and he never goes overboard with them.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Keep going.
                This IS the key, for me anyway. Out of sight, out of my tummy.
                Yes, I'm a real person.

Comment

Well you're doing great then.
                  Natural yogurt is about 5% fat and natural Greek yogurt is about 10% fat ( I usually get the greek one).
                  Beware all the fat free Greek yogurts out there! It's hard to find a healthy, fatty, natural yogurt now a days.
                  Yes, I'm a real person.

Comment

Originally posted by bemental View Post
                    This IS the key, for me anyway. Out of sight, out of my tummy.
                    Cool - me too

Only 'sweet' I have is the occasional square of 85% choc.

Other real sweets are fruit.

Natural yogurt taste sweet to me now

Originally posted by bemental View Post
                    Beware all the fat free Greek yogurts out there! It's hard to find a healthy, fatty, natural yogurt now a days..
                    Yeah don't eat low fat or fat free junk - and yes it can be hard to find full fat dairy in the sea of low fat stuff.

Just eat fats as they naturally come with real food - can add some butter, coconut oil and olive oil as required.

That's what I do anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the information as I think I have been starving myself of carbs, how much carbohydrates do you think I should have each day? Really struggling at the moment and keep on dipping into non approved foods, thanks for your help

Comment

Thanks for the information as I think I have been starving myself of carbs, how much carbohydrates do you think I should have each day? Really struggling at the moment and keep on dipping into non approved foods, thanks for your help
                        Normally for a growing 16 yo male, I would say : heaps :-)

Are you near ideal weight? (Not too over weight).
                        If you're overweight and inactive then perhaps not heaps but still have some.

When I was that age I was very active and thin - I would eat HEAPS of carbs: loads of fruit (all kinds), potatoes, white-rice, all veg, I ate bread and some pasta too (you can avoid the bread/pasta and eat more of the other stuff ). I would eat plates and bowls of carbs daily but as I said I was very active.

I'm way past being a teenager but still eat all the above ( though less now), though I don't eat wheat stuff. Now I tend to eat more on active days and less on rest days.

Teenagers need carbs to grow, just avoid processed carbs like sweets and junk cereals if you can ( almost all cereals in a packet are junk - even "healthy ones"). If you eat good stuff like white rice then you probably won't crave junk carbs as much.

Social stuff is important too, so having the occasional piece of pizza with friends may not be so bad - I don't do that now ( eat pizza) but if offered some homemade pizza by a friend then I would have a piece ( though I can easily control it and don't have any gut issues with a piece of the homemade stuff).

Hope it helps.

Comment

I am around 5.5ft and weigh around 8-8.3 which is low I know but that was effortless since going paleo. I am quite active (love running) however I have trouble motivating myself with the intense training sessions. I did go off course dramatically yesterday(wait for it lol) I started the day well with a omelette, avocado and cottage cheese. However as my dad said he didn't want to cook (going to London) I had to order a pizza, and after the pizza I are two 100g bars of choclate! I'm going to struggle to motivate myself to excercise today.. Thankyou for the white rice idea think I will try that as I loved rice.

Comment

I am around 5.5ft and weigh around 8-8.3 which is low I know but that was effortless since going paleo. I am quite active (love running) however I have trouble motivating myself with the intense training sessions.
                            OK about 115 lb / 52 kg - so light.

Active - great, may be do stuff you like ( eg tennis, bball, bike riding - what ever you like and your friends may want to do to).

I did go off course dramatically yesterday(wait for it lol) I started the day well with a omelette, avocado and cottage cheese.
                            OK sounds good.

However as my dad said he didn't want to cook (going to London) I had to order a pizza, and after the pizza I are two 100g bars of choclate!
                            Ok , I did that too at 16 :-)
                            Not a big deal, it sounds like you need some carbs.
                            For sweet carbs I usually eat sweet fruit and a bit of honey - chocolate now is always a square of dark chocolate for me.

If your running and 115 pounds then I wouldn't hold back on the carbs - in fact you probably need to eat high Carb ( you're growing AND very active - both require a lot of energy). Fruit, veg, potatoes, rice, eat plenty.

If you have room for dessert (fake food), then you didn't eat enough dinner (real food)

Secondly learn to cook eg simple things like eggs and make a salad.

( I'm going to struggle to motivate myself to exercise today.. Thankyou for the white rice idea think I will try that as I loved rice.
                            Nothing wrong with taking a day off - take walk or a easy bike ride instead.

Rice according to primal is a "cheap source of calories" but not bad - it sounds like you need the calories and carbs ( though some people don't) - give it a go.

Comment

Wow thanks for your suggestions it really helps. Just had a 20 minute intense training session consisting of crunches and press ups etc so I am feeling better however not very hungry so should I eat and if so what should I eat? Problem is later on in the day when I'm not occupied I will eat slightly badly however after last night I won't be eating that way for a while I feel horrible. I am learning how to cook at the moment I have made paleo cookies and paleo choclate cake (see what I mean) but I don't know where to eat as in terms of cooking meat/fish and how to work my way up and become confident with cooking.

Comment

Working...
                              X