• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My shopping trip last night consisted of the following:
    1lb bulk roasted/salted almonds
    Plain Greek yogurt
    1.5lbs local grass fed ground beef
    "All natural" boneless/skinless chicken breast
    plumbs - not in season here but remembered reading something about fruits with pits being better ??????
    Wild caught Steelhead trout

That's what you get for $70 at Earth Fare! LOL For dinner I had half the chicken breast - pounded out and "stuffed" with goat cheese (already had) and roasted tomatoes - about 3 cups of a salad that consisted of lettuce (iceburg, already had) cucumbers, and a bit of dressing - a Greek/feta - vinegar base. I also had a handful of almonds while shopping - I was starving and it was the 1st food I had all day. While cooking dinner I ate approx 4 oz Monterey Jack cheese. So, that was day one - please critique!
    Thank you all,
    Katie

Comment

To a beginner it’s all trial and error. When I first started I ate tones of fruit, but then I read posts and realized I needed to eat less fruit and focus more on veggies. My advice to a PB newbee is to look up old recipes on MDA and make them. Once you’re familiar with them expand onto your own creations post them here and people will tell you what to change. This is a good post to get the basic’s started: 10 Steps to “Primalize” Your Pantry. Then just read the posts on Primal Blueprint 101 section, focus on the Definitive Guides. I love animals and respect the greatly, but they are my fuel; that’s just the circle of life. Try and get the free range grass fed meat, so that it doesn’t look like the sad animals from Food Inc. listen to your body, it will tell you when you’re missing something, or if you have too much of something; however, when starting off some side effects are normal. All are explained in the PB book. My advice is to not be afraid, get excited! Don’t worry, just jump in.
      Last edited by Brian C.; 04-27-2010, 05:13 AM.

Comment

That doesn't sound like much food for a whole day Katie! Don't try and starve yourself, PB definitely isn't all about that. Intermittent Fasting can be really beneficial, but it's not usually a good idea to "try" not to eat until you're really in fat burning mode.

Regarding your current dislike of vegetables: I too used to be a cheese/bread fanatic. Almost every meal was some form of cheese and bread whether it was quesadillas, grilled cheese, burritos, pasta with cheese on top...you name it. It's all I craved. Then I come to find out 10 months ago when I started Primal that wheat is the devil to my joints and intestines, and I'm definitely lactose intolerant! As you start to eat real food your tastes will change, I promise. The bread starts to taste like foam, and the cheese...well you'll start to taste the nastiness in the highly processed cheeses and will most likely gravitate to the better quality stuff anyway. A little goes a long way with good cheese Welcome aboard, your body will thank you!
        You are what you eat,
        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

You will find that your tastes change. Vegetables will become appealing once the carb cravings go away.
          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I highly recommend dousing broccoli in olive oil, salt and pepper and putting it on the grill. When it starts to look burned it's done. It makes the broccoli sweet but crunchy. I love it now.
            "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Comment

On day 3 and hoping I am going at this correctly - I like to know I am doing things correctly for whatever reason - personality flaw! I think I am eating more dairy than I should but I LOVE cheese. About 4 - 5 oz a day. I went shopping which helps a bit; wild caught steelhead trout last night and a bowl of ground beef (grass fed) with half a can of diced tomatoes dumped over it. I will eat a salad in a little while; not in the mood for it now. On top of the protein I have been eating almonds, a spoonful here and there of Greek yogurt, a piece of fruit a day, and salads - lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and a very little bit of a Greek?feta/vinegar based natural dressing. It seems that I eat my almonds and fruit while at work then get home and am super hungry. i don't have it all figured out yet but am moving in that direction! Bought veggies to steam while at the store today....they are in fridge.....maybe tomorrow.....

Comment

Just remember that your first week or so can be tough. Some call it low-carb flu, I call it feeling like crap, as your body realizes you're not giving it carbs and has to switch over to burning fats. Ride this out because it will go away. Once it does you'll have a whole new outlook on the lifestyle as you realize your energy levels are more consistent and your appetite is strangely less than it had been.

Also, +1 on the changing tastes. Didn't think it was possible but it is. I don't quite crave veggies yet but I do find myself adding them to everything.

Oh, and repeat after me ... mmm, bacon.

Comment

Working...
                X