Heavy drinker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarbDodger View Post
    so Sol, explain the name and the motivation behind this superb step you've chosen for yourself please ?
    I quit my job due to alcohol related problems that were becoming dangerous to myself and others. I was in medical engineering and driving to hospitals and universities up and down the country.

As I'm getting older it was becoming harder and harder to function.

My boss told me to take six months off and if I could show him that I had sorted myself out he would like me to return to work.

I love my job and the months are ticking away.

It would also be a massive relief to my family and some good friends.

I feel as if I will never laugh or have fun again without the drink, buy hoping that will change with time.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Comment

so you have a goal; to stop drinking, an aim; to get back to work and a plan; primal health so your foundation is pretty good.

I stumbled upon this at a pretty crappy point in life too and its been incredibly beneficial for me. Energy and a sense of well-being have made many things easier to be honest. I hope you get similar things out of it.

Sometimes the right information, the right people and the right attitude all to seem to coincide and make enormous change possible and this is a good place to be- even if it doesn't seem it tonight. Ultimately though this is simply one more day on you path to a healthy good life and its another one you're nearly through.

eat well, sleep well, start walking and feed your mind. There's a lot to learn on the blog and here on the forum are some very funny, genuine people who give endless support, advice and help.
      When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
      27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
      new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Thanks. Good advice. One day at a time and the worst one is almost over.
        I'll continue to read the blogs and the forum.
        All the best.

Comment

Hello Sol

You have made some smart moves so be proud of yourself and keep motivated. Im off the sauce too and have been for two months now.

Ive never been a heavy drinker - but regular certainly. Every Friday/Saturday night would be a bottle or two of red and the next week the same, just a regular habit. Im not certain I was enjoying it anymore, but just doing it because that was what I did on the weekend.

Another way to keep yourself from drinking is to not be in the place you were drinking previously. I just used to drink at home, so for the first few weeks when it got to my usual cork popping time, I just made sure I was walking the dog or cycling or similar. That way, Im replacing an old bad habit, with a better one.

If you need to try it, and if nothing else it will be extra exercise that will aid any fat loss goals.
          Fortune Favours the Brave

I can only talk from my acquired knowledge and experiences. You may have a different view or experience and I will respect that. Please respect mine.

Comment

Hello bears, it was every single night for me. 10 - 12 cans of strong ale.

I could afford to do it while I was working but it became a struggle while unemployed. I used up the savings that I had then started to sell things that I now deeply regret. Then started to borrow money from friends and family.

Anyway I'm four days in and couldn't imagine that a week ago.

Looking forward to primal and losing some weight then hopefully returning to work. I've got the added incentive that other people are wanting me to succeed as much as myself.

I'm trying to not be home at around 7pm when the first can would pop.

Thanks.

Comment

I'm a home brewer and I have also had problems with the old beer belly. I find what helps is to have a couple of alcohol free days a week - say Tuesday and Thursday, and to eat not much at all on those days if possible. Also more exercise and switch to something less carb laden, such as a nice dry hard cider or a dry white wine, as opposed to beer.
              It's actually dead easy to make hard cider using a simple fermentation vessel, a few gallons of supermarket pure apple juice and a wine yeast. Hic.

Before joining this forum I successfully lost about 6 kilos when I moved interstate, just because I was so busy and active with the move and skipping meals often, but didn't stop drinking during the process.

Comment

The weird thing is while I've been off it I've hardly ate anything. After I've drunk I will eat any old rubbish and plenty of it.
                I'm doing antabuse now so any form of alcohol to pass these lips and I'm in big trouble, including mouthwashes, toothpastes, ect. It's the total lack of sleep that is frustrating.

I fancy a drink now you ferkkhurr

Comment

Hey Sol,
                  How amazing that you have made four days dry! Good for you. Sounds like you are really working hard to keep the change going.
                  No advice just pure admiration. I will be watching your journey with interest.
                  Cheers(bad joke too soon??)
                  Jackie
                  link to my journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread97129.html

Comment

Hi Sol blackcat;
                    I stopped drinking almost 21 months ago now and couldn't imagine stopping for a week before I did it. I also quit for work-related reasons. You will feel a bit rocky the first few weeks as it gets out of your system. One trick I did was to eat a few dried figs or other dried fruit when I felt really bad cravings and lightheaded. Got some minerals back in my system and gave me enough sugar to metabolize to get the same effect the booze would have done metabolizing into sugar. This was short term and I weaned myself off the fruit and into more meat and veg as I got more used to things.

I don't regret quitting one minute. I love being free of the lifestyle and, although how I have fun has changed, I do have fun again. For awhile it does seem pretty flat and bleak but that will pass. I didn't do any programs or groups, just stopped. Everyday I feel better and I'm so glad I stuck with it. Hang in there and be patient with the process. You will get your life back but better in the end.

The sleeping thing is also a problem I had. If you don't like old movies, etc. go get or renew a library card and an empty journal to write in. Check out books and / or audiobooks and if you get bored with that, sit up in bed and write in the journal. Also, get some herbal teas to have iced or hot so you have something to drink in the afternoon without any stimulants or sugar. Black tea is not a sleep aid :-)
                    Last edited by missblue; 06-16-2013, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol blackcat View Post
                      It's the total lack of sleep that is frustrating.
                      It's not going to help a whole lot, but taking 400mg of magnesium before you go to bed helps relax your body and mind. You fall asleep easier and sleep more soundly. Added TMI benefit - nice easy poop in the morning.

It also helps with brain function in general, so it's a no brainer (see what I did there?)
                      Durp.

Comment

Thanks jacmac, and cheers

Thanks Rita, no brainer, I seen what you did there like.

Miss blue, 21 months? Get in there, that's fantastic. Thanks for the tips.
                        To be free of the lifestyle is a term I keep hearing or reading. Maybe one day I might be saying it to someone else.
                        I'm not really a tv fan but I do enjoy reading, also I've been reading this forum all through the nights.
                        Again good advice, thanks.

Thanks to everyone who has wished me well or offered advice, I do appreciate it very much.
                        Wish I knew how to multiple quote, but i'll learn

Comment

Sol,

Congrats on the decision to change your life my friend.
                          As you already know, it's going to be an uphill climb, but you have prepared well, and it sounds like you have the mental discipline, the perseverance, dedication and motivation to make it happen!!

You certainly have the support and encouragement of everyone here!

Hang in there brother, and welcome aboard.

OD
                          "Live Primally, Train Practically, Prepare Tactically..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sol blackcat View Post
                            ...Wish I knew how to multiple quote, but i'll learn
                            Here ya go brother.

Use the small ["] marks at the lower right corner of the post.
                            Has the " marks in a shaded box, with a + sign next to it.
                            It looks something like this:
                            "+

Click on the posts that you want to quote, then hit reply.
                            you can then add your remarks under each quoted post.

Or, as I did, edit the quoted post down to just the section you want to address

Stay strong!

OD
                            Last edited by Off Duty; 06-16-2013, 07:28 AM.
                            "Live Primally, Train Practically, Prepare Tactically..."

Comment

I quit drinking too and feel so much better - clear-headed in the evenings now - and weight came off without all the sugar and alcohol. Really Mike? Posting a recipe for hard cider and posting about ways to continue to drink? I think you should take your comments elsewhere. Obviously you're an alcoholic who wants to rationalize continuing to drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Off Duty View Post
                                Sol,

Congrats on the decision to change your life my friend.
                                As you already know, it's going to be an uphill climb, but you have prepared well, and it sounds like you have the mental discipline, the perseverance, dedication and motivation to make it happen!!

You certainly have the support and encouragement of everyone here!

Hang in there brother, and welcome aboard.

OD
                                Thanks for that OD. Was dreading last night but it wasn't too bad.

Prepared? Mental discipline? Perseverance? Dedication and motivation? Me? I think you got the wrong fella.
                                Thanks mate and I will practice the multiple quote thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X