Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Newbie like me to support each other.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=raikay;1212995]So, my motivations when I decided to do Primal was purely to eliminate grains. My pain management doctor had been trying to get me to go gluten free for a couple years to help with my fibromyalgia. After reading Wheat Belly and The Primal Blueprint, and seeing some rather depressing pictures of myself, I decided to give it a go. My pain is all but gone since cutting grains and sugars and I am off all my medications except for my hormones which is quite a feat for all the muscle relaxers and Neurontin and pain pills I was on.

Yesterdays Intake:
    Total Fat: 91g
    Carbs: 26g
    Protein 114g
    Calories: 1375

Whoop Whoop
    Go raikay

Sent from my EVO using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by PRO199 View Post
      You eat the 2 Tbsp of virgin coconut oil straight up twice a day? Or you use it in recipes twice a day?
      @PRO, I was searching for ways to get Coconut Oil into my diet easily and this is what I found. Put a tbsp of it in your coffee. So this morning I did and it's not too bad, I also added a tbsp of heavy whipping cream but decided I like the "blackness" of my coffee better. I omitted the cream from my next cup and added the oil. This is what I found.

Coconut Oil Coffee | Mama's Weeds

The link below is a good read about the benefits of coconut oil.

Coconut Oil - Here's what you need to know about this amazing rejuvenation and healing oil

@Ray, I'm on page 909 (iPhone Kindle App) The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. I'm engrossed. Thanks for the recommendation.

@aubbob, I think so. My target is 1560 and was told by two people (Ray included) that I'm not eating enough calories. I'm eating a lot more than what I used to eat and it's hard to eat more for me without messing up my ratios. So today, I'm going to increase it to 1850.

Here are my totals from yesterday.

Calories - 1559
      Fat - 130
      Sodium - 2320 (need to increase)
      Potassium - 1908 (need to increase)
      Carbs - 42
      Fiber - 25
      Sugar - 8
      Protein - 56

I think I'm close to being or am keto-adapted because I'm losing 1/2 lb a day now. According to the book referenced above, once you become keto-adapted, weight loss is about 2.5 a week average (if I remember correctly). And that's with "falling off the wagon Memorial Day Weekend.

This has been my progress since I started on 5/16:

The first week I lost 8lbs (5/16 to 5/22)

Weekend of 5/26 - after having a small portion of baked bean and a few beers - gained all the weight back.

5/26 to present - lost a total of 7lbs.

According to Dr. Phinney and Dr. Volek (co-authors of the book above) they said becoming keto-adapted can happen in a few weeks or 6 depending on the person. Sometimes it's mind over matter, my mind set, I am.

Positive reinforcement for me, my shorts that used to fit tight around my waist are now hanging on me! Which is nice because I don't have that "indent" around my waist from the waist band any longer. Some may say it's just water loss. It's still loss as long as I don't stray from my healthy eating habits.

Time to go ride my stationary bike with 30 second to 1 minute intervals every 4 to 6 minutes. Total time 40 minutes on the bike.
      Health
      Happiness &
      "add a food"

Comment

[QUOTE=raikay;1212995]So, my motivations when I decided to do Primal was purely to eliminate grains. My pain management doctor had been trying to get me to go gluten free for a couple years to help with my fibromyalgia. After reading Wheat Belly and The Primal Blueprint, and seeing some rather depressing pictures of myself, I decided to give it a go. My pain is all but gone since cutting grains and sugars and I am off all my medications except for my hormones which is quite a feat for all the muscle relaxers and Neurontin and pain pills I was on.

@Raikay, WOW! My friend suffers from fibro too and I wish she would do research about this. I've told her about the treads I've seen. I am going to send her all the links I can find.

Congrats, that so wonderful and it put a big smile on my face when I read that!

OK, I have a date with a bike.
        Health
        Happiness &
        "add a food"

Comment

Originally posted by aubbob View Post
          I wanted to update about yesterday's intake for me.

Should I be very concerned with my caloric intake at the moment? And is there info somewhere on what my intake should be as far as fat and protein goes?
          YES, you are not eating enough calories right now. I'm at 1560 and was told by two people (Ray included) to increase them. I increased them to 1850 today.

Here is what Mark says about it protein.

Dear Mark: How Much Protein Can You Absorb and Use from One Meal? | Mark's Daily Apple

I would google BMI calculator with body measurements for women. I would give you the url but I don't want this to get stuck in "approval" mode again.

I wrote a long response this morning but it's being "monitored" and has to be approved. I think it's because I included two links about the benefits of coconut oil that were outside MDA.

@PRO, I add a tbsp to my coffee and it's not too bad. Good way to get fat in without going over in my protein. There are so many health benefits of coconut oil when ingested. If my previous comment does not get posted because of those links, I just googled "benefits of ingesting coconut oil".
          Last edited by Gwynnda; 06-05-2013, 01:49 PM.
          Health
          Happiness &
          "add a food"

Comment

BMR calculators will give you your caloric requirements to just exist and you can adjust according to your activity levels

Comment

[QUOTE=Gwynnda;1213273]YES, you are not eating enough calories right now. I'm at 1560 and was told by two people (Ray included) to increase them. I increased them to 1850 today.

Hey Gwynnda
              Keep an eye on your weight after bumping calories up, that seems like a good number especially if your "good fats" are above 70%.
              If your weight loss stalls you may want to back it off just a bit.
              FWIW my weight stays within a pound from week to week even when I go above 2800 calories .....
              Remember % ratios is the target and while I imagine if we consistently over eat we will probably gain BUT it is really hard for me to eat to much if my fat intake is above 70%

Good luck all post up so we can share success or lend a helping hand if needed

Ray

Comment

@Ray, I know but I did two different BMR calculators state I need less than 1560 a day to maintain without exercise. So the days I exercise, I will "really try" to eat the calories I burned during exercising. MFP has me at 1560 to lose weight. I find it very hard to get all my calories in on a daily basis and fat at just 1560. Protein is not hard because I love protein. I don't want to go over on carbs or protein.

I have a Magic Bullet, I put 2 tbsp of cream and 1 oil with my coffee this morning and it tastes like a latte. I'm going to continue to do this just to get my fat in. I don't think I can do a "Ray" with my coconut oil, open the mouth and down the hatch. It's the consistency thing or even melted. I guess I'm not cave women enough! So I'm amending my post from yesterday about taking the cream out.

On a good note, I have lost a total of 8lbs since 5/26. Drs. Phinney and Volek said in the book that your body can fluctuate 4 lbs of water on a daily basis, so taking that out of the equation, that's 4 lbs in almost 2 weeks.

How is everyone else doing?

I know we all have busy lives, it's good to hear from each other.
                Last edited by Gwynnda; 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM.
                Health
                Happiness &
                "add a food"

Comment

Congrats on the 8 pounds!! If you melt the coconut oil it's not to bad just strange. If you leave your coffee warm add a,Tbsp of C O in your primal Latte

Comment

Originally posted by RayDWeger View Post
                    Congrats on the 8 pounds!! If you melt the coconut oil it's not to bad just strange. If you leave your coffee warm add a,Tbsp of C O in your primal Latte

Thanks!

I like flavored coffee anyway so the C O gives it a flavor. I put 2 Tbsp of Heavy Whipping Cream and 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil, put it in my MB (Magic Bullet) for 30 sec or so and it's nice and frothy. Good way to get calories and fat in first thing in the morning. I do find that I'm not hungry until lunch or later.
                    Health
                    Happiness &
                    "add a food"

Comment

Yep if your a chocolate fan :-) add a Tsp of unsweetened dark chocolate and a few drops liquid stevia

Comment

Hello everyone I have been primal since the 13th of May and have lost 7 pounds so far, my depression is gone, my energy is back and my acne has improved greatly! To be honest, this is my second time around..... I went primal back in 2009 and dropped about 15 pounds and held out for quite a while but got bored with meals and fell off the wagon for a few years. I still tried to keep my carbs somewhat low but was eating breads and grains again. That. doesn't. work. I spiraled into a deep depression in the middle of April and decided that I had to do something. Within three days of cutting out grains in May I was happy again. Just amazing. Though the carb flu did get me a few days after that!

This time around I am really trying to mix it up and try different recipes and such and stick with it forever. I do have a hard time with some meals since I cannot have dairy and am allergic to eggs, avocados and bananas (plus others), all those seem to be in so many recipes! I do seem to be able to tolerate butter as I use it quite a bit.

Anyhow I am glad to find this thread to chat in, I need some sort of connection here, but do not feel that I have enough to say to start my own thread/diary on the forum like I see so many do

Originally posted by RayDWeger View Post
                        Yep if your a chocolate fan :-) add a Tsp of unsweetened dark chocolate and a few drops liquid stevia

What form of chocolate is this? Like from a bar? or a powder? Sounds divine I am trying to cut out artificial sweeteners, still using about two to three splendas for my coffee in the morning (one in each cup I drink) but I need something other than black coffee and I cannot have dairy not too crazy about adding coconut oil to my coffee either, though I have tried it.

Comment

I use special Dark Cocoa powder 100% but you can use bittersweet bars or chips just make sure no sugar and at least 75% cocoa..
                          Drop the splenda and at least switch to stevia powder or the liquid drops are the best and has no additives like glucose that will spike your blood sugar

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

@grey & chaos
                            Welcome to the group lots of participation between everyone here so if you have questions or ideas please chime in

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Hey all, sorry I havent posted in a few days. Its great to hear that we've got some more new people and that everyone is doing so well! Congrats on the weight loss Gwynnda!!!!

I've been out of town for the last few days visiting my parents and have been dealing with a broken iphone (so no MDA app). My family is very non-primal, so I haven't been doing very good to stay on track (ice cream twice in 3 days, and fried chicken for lunch...). I did have a divine coconut and dark chocolate macaroon (or, you know, 3). Was completely gluten free and made from coconut... I just kinda skipped past all the sugar in it After I ate them, I looked and it was 22g carbs per macaroon.

@grey and chaos Glad to have you here! Like Ray said, we're a very open bunch and try to help as much as possible, so please don't hesitate on jumping right in. I'm like you in the falling off the primal wagon too. I fell off for about a year, back to eating bread, etc until I was diagnosed celiac 2 months ago. As for the food allergies, I'm sure all of us would be willing to help you out with finding recipes or giving ideas.

Comment

@Ashley
                                I can imagine being the lone wolf in your family makes change very trying. I am lucky that my wife is pretty much on track with me as to the grain free aspect of the primal WOE. Her main vice is pancakes but even that she does pretty well in eating much less. She is not going the VLC like me and about the only difference in diet is she eats potatoes and more fruit than me.
                                Stick to your plan and as some have said they don't have to eat like you but you don't have to participate in theirs.... Yes I know,it sounds great in the blog

Good luck and you will get somewhat in different to the bad foods after a month or so. Don't do any cheat meals until you have,tapped into the Primal Force :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X