Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Newbie like me to support each other.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashley, that was the "kick" in the pants I needed. Thanks! You are right, mind over matter, if I don't mind, it don't matter.

I'm beat, I am going to go take a shower and wash all the dirt off from working in the yard today and pass out in bed.

G'nite ladies and gent!

Today's totals were:
    Calories - 1049
    Carbs - 45
    Protein - 64
    Fat - 75

Plus about 90 oz of water.
    Health
    Happiness &
    "add a food"

Comment

@ashley...girl, you're a great motivator!!! I will try the link back idea and maybe we can get a "group"...is that something that would be beneficial? As I mentioned, I'm NEw to social media

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
      True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

Comment

@Gwynnda @ PrimalFreedom .... Thanks guys, that means a lot to me. Its nice to be able to motivate others for a change instead of always being the one who needs the motivating. Plus, it makes me push harder when I work out because it makes me excited to share, so thanks!

Hmm... I've never started a group. Maybe we should just keep it in a thread until we get more people to join? Not too sure how many people go through and search for groups vs threads. What does everyone else think?

So, not sure if this is a good or a bad sign, but I was having a bit of a bad night last night, and instead of going to the ice cream, and snacks to binge, I kinda ate half a chicken... Not sure what to make of it but that's the first time that's happened. I mean who binges on a chicken?!

Comment

I am interested in this support group!
          Today is day 2 of primal eating, and I'm not feeling particularly awesome today. Part of this is due to a weird work shift that had me in starvation mode, and then coming home and having to figure out what to eat. I'm not digging having to track every single thing on my phone, it is such a pain! I may need to find an app on the computer to do that with at the end of the day or something.
          One thing I did realize today, and that is a tendency to want carbs when I'm feeling emotional.
          Anyway, don't want to whine too much. I'm off to figure out what the hell we're eating tomorrow!

Comment

@auobb -- have you read the primal blueprint? are you stocked with primal foods? Hang in there, sister....give it time. What is your motivation to start this?

@ashleyisbister ---hey girl, one of my goals is to stop binging...period. I, too, can simply switch to an "approved" food and go nuts, soooo....eating based on hunger is a huge goal of mine. we'll support each other
            True freedom is the ability to live in a way that is all life giving, not clouded by anything that contaminates body, spirit, or mind.

My journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread86444.html;)

Comment

@Ashley, thanks and your welcome. I'm glad your here with us!!! I'm not going to lie, the day got away from me and I did not do the exercises above. Tomorrow when I get up. That way, it will be done and out of the way. Better that you ate chicken instead of ice cream or any other sweets. Good for you. I'm proud of you! Have you watched The Killing? I really liked it.

Hi aubbob, welcome and it does get easier. I experienced the 'carb flu for almost two weeks, my husband said I was not very nice, my friend who has been primal for a year said she wasn't either. A year she went from a size 8 @ 4'11" to a 2. I'm truly three weeks into it tomorrow but re-starting the 21-day challenge. I use Myfitpal, there is Sparkpeople, and a few others. It's all up to preference. My friend keeps about a pound of nuts in her purse, that way if she is starving and at work, they are there for her. How low is your carb intake right now and what was it before?

Today was a good day eating wise, I made Mark's Chicken and shrimp soup (minus shrimp) and it was so good I ate 3 bowls (8oz) servings. I saw that my fat intake was still lacking so I decided to have the 3rd bowl with a tbsp of Olive oil in it. It did change the taste but man, what an AWESOME soup. I'm a soup fiend!!! My goal is to now experiment with my food by trying recipes. Here is the link for the soup.

The Perfect Pot of Primal Soup | Mark's Daily Apple

The only thing that is so time consuming is putting the recipe into MFP so it's tracked.

My name in MyFitPal is GoingPrimal. My diary is open so I would assume my recipes are too. There is only a few.

That's all I have for today.

I hope everyone else had a good day eating all primal.
              Last edited by Gwynnda; 06-03-2013, 07:00 PM.
              Health
              Happiness &
              "add a food"

Comment

Welcome aubbob! One thing I found helpful, is making big batches of food all at once, that way I have a few days to think about what I'm going to make next, instead of having to every night. I also make sure I keep lots of "snack" foods around. I make sure I have a dozen hard boiled eggs in my fridge, fresh fruit, almonds, almond butter, and a few sandwich bags of veggies. That way, if you don't feel like cooking, you always have things to eat.
                What kind of work do you do? Is there any way you can carry some things like that with you?
                P.s. Dont worry about the whining. We all struggle and it helps to talk about it because then others can give you insights on how they overcame similar situations

@PrimalFreedom I agree with supporting each other! I've got a pretty nasty sweet tooth, so what I've found that helps is the green apple thing I told Gwynnda earlier. By the time you finish slicing the apple, half the time the craving is gone and if it isnt, I spread the almond butter on so that its more filling. I get the sweet, and the protein/fats from the almond butter.

@Gwynnda I've also found it way easier to work out in the mornings as soon as I get up. I dont have anything else on my mind and I'm not tired from anything else so I can put more into my workouts. Unfortunately, now that the rib night fundraiser is over (a rack of bbq sauce ribs, rice and caesar salad), I'm not feeling so good. Kinda wishing I had just gone and sat with them instead of eating too... Think its time for a ton of water and a massive workout session to try to get these toxins out of me.
                I'm a huge foodie and adore cooking, so if you want, i can post some of the recipes I make on here too, that way it might make it easier for ideas on what to make?

Well I'm off to play tennis. Hope everyone's had a good day!

Comment

Originally posted by aubbob View Post
                  I am interested in this support group!
                  Today is day 2 of primal eating, and I'm not feeling particularly awesome today. Part of this is due to a weird work shift that had me in starvation mode, and then coming home and having to figure out what to eat. I'm not digging having to track every single thing on my phone, it is such a pain! I may need to find an app on the computer to do that with at the end of the day or something.
                  One thing I did realize today, and that is a tendency to want carbs when I'm feeling emotional.
                  Anyway, don't want to whine too much. I'm off to figure out what the hell we're eating tomorrow!
                  Coconut oil is GREAT for energy and appetite suppression.
                  Myfitnesspal is a great app that runs on android ipad / iphone or from the web. Yo can save common meals build recipes and view/ share your stuff

Lots of folks here to help just ask for the carb flu make sure to keep bullion cubes with you and make a couple of cups of broth a day to keep the YUCK feelings at bay..... i am going VLC (much less than 50 grams of carbs per day) and i have not had any problems

Ray

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Gwynnda View Post
                    Hi aubbob, welcome and it does get easier. I experienced the 'carb flu for almost two weeks, my husband said I was not very nice, my friend who has been primal for a year said she wasn't either. A year she went from a size 8 @ 4'11" to a 2. I'm truly three weeks into it tomorrow but re-starting the 21-day challenge. I use Myfitpal, there is Sparkpeople, and a few others. It's all up to preference. My friend keeps about a pound of nuts in her purse, that way if she is starving and at work, they are there for her. How low is your carb intake right now and what was it before?
                    @Gwynnda- Thanks for the welcome! When I first read about the carb flu I thought "Yeah, right", but it appears that it is happening to me I wasn't a very nice person yesterday. Interestingly enough I feel fine today even with a serious lack of sleep!
                    As far as my carb intake, I sort of gave up keeping track yesterday. I split an omelette with my husband in the a.m. and also had some fruit, that came out to 20g carbs, and then I had a couple ounces of a fruit and nut mix that was 28g carbs, for lunch a big salad with ground beef, at which point I quit putting everything into the tracker, and then I snacked on carrots and hummus later, and probably another ounce of fruit and nut mixture. I'm going to try to keep better track today and get some food made up ahead of time (prebaking chicken and boiling some eggs). I am not sure what my carb intake was before, but I'm certain it was very, very high.

I feel like I am relying too heavily on fruit right now, which is making it more difficult to stay close to the 50g mark. I think I better go check out the recipes section of the forum as well! The good thing is that my husband and I are devoted to this right now, but I'm thinking if we have more days like yesterday of not knowing what to eat and not eating on time that won't last!

Comment

Originally posted by ashleyisbister View Post
                      Welcome aubbob! One thing I found helpful, is making big batches of food all at once, that way I have a few days to think about what I'm going to make next, instead of having to every night. I also make sure I keep lots of "snack" foods around. I make sure I have a dozen hard boiled eggs in my fridge, fresh fruit, almonds, almond butter, and a few sandwich bags of veggies. That way, if you don't feel like cooking, you always have things to eat.
                      What kind of work do you do? Is there any way you can carry some things like that with you?
                      P.s. Dont worry about the whining. We all struggle and it helps to talk about it because then others can give you insights on how they overcame similar situations
                      Thanks for the tips ashleyisbister. I'm spending the morning in the kitchen before work today. I can carry things with me to work, yesterday it was just a matter of not knowing what to take. I work at a coffee house right now, which makes all of this a little bit more interesting

Comment

aubbob, at first, I did too. I had to have my apple and grapefruit every day but after the initial weight loss, I was gaining the weight back. I was eating a lot of veggies that were high in carbs too, and I was not eating enough fat + over eating in protein. I am still trying to find the balance. I think it's wonderful that you and your husband are doing it together. Have you gotten rid of all the non-primal food in the house? That will also help, I hear it does anyway. I'm the only Primal in my family so I put them on a "clean diet", nothing from a box, everything is homemade.

I had to go to bed relatively early last night because I wanted to raid the pantry and eat my favorite potato chips and eat an entire carton of strawberries. I did not have my 1/2 or 1 piece of chocolate because I'm really giving this 21-day a go this time. Even though Mark says Dark Chocolate and wine in moderation but I want to totally detox from sugar (that are not plant based) technically chocolate is and wine but I'd rather get it over with. I just have to remember how terrible I felt last weekend when I ate baked beans and had a couple beers. That helps me. When you experience that, it will be a good reminder. At that point I had been 1.5 weeks into the 21-days. So your body does adapt quickly.

I'm also reading the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, per Ray's suggestion. I want to understand how to do it safe.

Happy Tuesday everyone.
                        Health
                        Happiness &
                        "add a food"

Comment

So, I'm in for the challenge if that's ok with everyone. I just quit smoking yesterday and am finding myself hit all over again with the cravings, headaches, brain fog that I got when I first started Primal back in Jan/Feb and want to make sure I don't slip in to old habits.

I know I saw it in here somewhere, but which day was the 21-day challenge starting?
                          Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Great book it's not totally primal but it gives you the science behind the Way of Eating (WOE) and is easy to incorporate the subtle differences

Sent from my EVO using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Carb Flu, never heard of such a thing. This is just day 3 for me, and i feel a bit run down today, and I have no reason as to why. Makes me wonder if it is just my body adjusting to primal nutrition versus the fast-food addiction I've been on for a decade plus?
                              Follow my progress at ->Journal: My Body Revival

Comment

Originally posted by raikay View Post
                                So, I'm in for the challenge if that's ok with everyone. I just quit smoking yesterday and am finding myself hit all over again with the cravings, headaches, brain fog that I got when I first started Primal back in Jan/Feb and want to make sure I don't slip in to old habits.

I know I saw it in here somewhere, but which day was the 21-day challenge starting?
                                I started this past Sunday, Ray as well. We talked about it officially starting on Monday 6/3, One or two day(s) difference does not matter. What matters is that we do it. CONGRATS on the not smoking.

Absolutely, they more the merrier. This is exactly why I created this thread. Ray has been a great coach so go back and read or re-read what he has said.

@ PRO199, that's what I called the "carb flu", it was hard but it does get easier. Your body is adjusting and detoxing as well. Drink lots of water, make sure you are getting enough sodium too. I took Milk Thistle to help detox and drink green tea as well. Keep it up and we are all here to help each other.
                                Health
                                Happiness &
                                "add a food"

Comment

Working...
                                X