58 and GOT to make changes!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 and GOT to make changes!!!!

Okay, 40#'s overweight, Dr. warning me to make changes, don't sleep well, high bp, and I'm finally sick of it!! Read books, listened to podcasts, starting on paleo now. Will keep below 50gms carbs/day. Question. How long before I start seeing blood test results? (I know everyone varies. Just a general idea). I need to convince my Dr. to give me time before going the med route. Already on bp med and want to drop that in time too!!

Thank you for your support. I need it!!

Hey there Jawjuhdog in Stuart. Nice to see another South Floridian on here. If you have baseline labs now, I would wait at least three months primal/paleo before a redraw. That is when I started seeing results. Two years primal here and going strong. Good luck to you and please feel free to ask anything. Everyone here is very supportive.

Leigh Ann in Okeechobee

Comment

Originally posted by jawjuhdawg View Post
      Okay, 40#'s overweight, Dr. warning me to make changes, don't sleep well, high bp, and I'm finally sick of it!! Read books, listened to podcasts, starting on paleo now. Will keep below 50gms carbs/day. Question. How long before I start seeing blood test results? (I know everyone varies. Just a general idea). I need to convince my Dr. to give me time before going the med route. Already on bp med and want to drop that in time too!!

Thank you for your support. I need it!!
      Start losing weight. See if that will keep your doctor satisfied until you reach your goal weight.

Comment

Yeah my doctor also said he would give me six months, but he has seen me in the meantime 50lbs lighter and hasn't even mentioned it I am sure if he sees you working at it he will relax.
        Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
        Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
        Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvergirl View Post
          Yeah my doctor also said he would give me six months, but he has seen me in the meantime 50lbs lighter and hasn't even mentioned it I am sure if he sees you working at it he will relax.
          And you guys are losing the weight just by doing paleo? I already exercise. Lots of walking, kayaking couple times a week.

Comment

I started with the diet. Added in the other elements after I had the diet down. I have a fairly active job so I just added in strength training. I saw weight results right away.

Comment

Originally posted by leighlu View Post
              I started with the diet. Added in the other elements after I had the diet down. I have a fairly active job so I just added in strength training. I saw weight results right away.
              Thanks. I have an active job as well in health care. Lots of walking, 12 hour shifts. Couple of days now on paleo. I sure hope whiskey is okay. Other than that haven't missed the bad stuff much. I guess according to the experiences of many here, the "flu" is coming though.

Comment

Alcohol is Ok for some people, but you burn alcohol for fuel before fat, so be careful. I am in healthcare as well. The flu sucked for me, but I was a carb junkie. Some people on here have said it wasn't so bad for them.

Comment

As your diet improves and your weight drops your blood pressure will likely come down. Sometimes within weeks you will see a small but consistent drop. My blood pressure (which was normal) has even come down to the very low end of normal!

Remember that your doctor works for you and can't make you do anything you aren't ready for. However, high blood pressure is hard on your body, so if you don't see results, it may be worth while to medicate as needed temporarily and then wean off the meds slowly when your bp comes down.

Just stick with it! You'll see great results and then you can come back and tell us how your doctor is thrilled with your progress but wants you to eat less fat and more healthy whole grains It happens all the time around here!
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    As your diet improves and your weight drops your blood pressure will likely come down. Sometimes within weeks you will see a small but consistent drop. My blood pressure (which was normal) has even come down to the very low end of normal!

Remember that your doctor works for you and can't make you do anything you aren't ready for. However, high blood pressure is hard on your body, so if you don't see results, it may be worth while to medicate as needed temporarily and then wean off the meds slowly when your bp comes down.

Just stick with it! You'll see great results and then you can come back and tell us how your doctor is thrilled with your progress but wants you to eat less fat and more healthy whole grains It happens all the time around here!
                    Thanks! Already losing almost a pound a day since I started. Pretty exciting. Good point earlier about alcohol. I'll drop that. I read your web-site about Lectins. Very interesting and something I didn't know about before. Cravings are killing me right now, haha. Pushing through it.

Comment

i'm off most of my bp meds after 5 weeks and 29lbs lost. first signs i didn't need it -I started getting dizzy when I stood up or leaned forward! I'm losing about1lb a day too - nice innit
                      *I still take rampril at a low dose as it conserves potassium
                      what other meds does he want to start you on?
                      Last edited by CarbDodger; 05-18-2013, 06:40 AM.
                      When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                      27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                      new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

Well after about a week on the plan, I'm happy with the results. I have lost 5 pounds without really trying. I have not had any grains or sugars and the only dairy is the occasional piece of cheese. I have been working so much I havent even really missed it. Of course at the hospital everyone is making it tough even though no one knows what I'm doing. One night one of the ER docs decided to buy pizza for the whole staff. I just told myself to stay busy and I totally forgot it was in the break room. The next night a nurse went out to get Taco Bell for anybody who wanted it. I declined and again stayed busy and forgot about it. There are always chips, cookies, etc. in the break room so I tried to just stay out of there. It's worked out pretty well. What's interesting to me is that my energy level has really increased and my co workers have noticed. They ask if I ever sit down and I'm asking what's next. haha. 12 hour night shifts can get long but I don't really run out of energy and I also stopped bringing food because I'm not getting hungry. Good stuff. I hope I can keep it going without falling off the wagon.
                        Thank you for all your support.

Comment

I Found energy increased +++ and that persists. get yourself a pedometer its excellent re-enforcement at work. I'm in healthcare too.. Its surprising how unfit one can be while working in that environment
                          You are doing a great job with the plan btw
                          When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
                          27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
                          new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Comment

I hear you. I work in the OR and people almost get upset if you don't eat their food. Stay strong because you are doing great. They all laugh at me, but they are stuffing themselves into their scrubs, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by jawjuhdawg View Post
                              Well after about a week on the plan, I'm happy with the results. I have lost 5 pounds without really trying. I have not had any grains or sugars and the only dairy is the occasional piece of cheese. I have been working so much I havent even really missed it. Of course at the hospital everyone is making it tough even though no one knows what I'm doing. One night one of the ER docs decided to buy pizza for the whole staff. I just told myself to stay busy and I totally forgot it was in the break room. The next night a nurse went out to get Taco Bell for anybody who wanted it. I declined and again stayed busy and forgot about it. There are always chips, cookies, etc. in the break room so I tried to just stay out of there. It's worked out pretty well. What's interesting to me is that my energy level has really increased and my co workers have noticed. They ask if I ever sit down and I'm asking what's next. haha. 12 hour night shifts can get long but I don't really run out of energy and I also stopped bringing food because I'm not getting hungry. Good stuff. I hope I can keep it going without falling off the wagon.
                              Thank you for all your support.
                              Very good work, keep it up.
                              Annie Ups the Ante
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Working...
                              X