Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 years old: Is our generation screwed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 years old: Is our generation screwed?

We were fed frosted-flakes cereal and peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast.
    In the high school cafeteria, garlic bread, pasta, french fries, coke during lunch take over.
    Come dinnertime, feast on nearly 2 cups of white rice followed by dessert.
    This along with various spouts of snacking on chips, gummy bears, and ice cream sporadically throughout the day, thinking we're "invincible". Cross country for 4 years. Other kids doing other sports probably played this card better.

College?

Free pizza and high-fructose coke (since aspartame is "bad" for you!) at club meetings
    In a rush? Go to Jimmy John's and grab their leftover white bread and wipe avocado/cheese on it on the go
    Hit the frat parties, drink on average 20+oz of cheap beer
    Bar-hopping followed by gorging on hot dogs at 3am at the local stand because it's "tradition"
    Plus side to college: always on the move, great gym, lots of variety compensated for this carb-heavy diet. And, by then most of my groceries were whole wheat (ha) or organic when possible, with lots of veggies.

-------

When I read Mark's book, I think back to all this and wonder - is my generation (18-26 yrs) totally screwed?
    Have we damaged our bodies beyond repair?
    If the elderly now are dying so early from metabolic syndrome and the host of other illnesses that came along with their eating habits from the 60's, what hope do we have? Our bodies are destroyed. Thank god I discovered this in my mid-20's as I can still turn things around drastically. But I want to know if there is any answer to young folks' situation such as mine.

(also, hi everyone )

- Cyrone

You can only save yourself.

Comment

I've pondered the same thing lately. We didn't have a cafeteria at my high school so we had to go off campus. Freshman year I had a 750ml bottle of apple cider and a box of Dots candy for lunch. Every day. I probably used to eat my weight in potato chips each year. Soda is the only liquid that passed me lips for a LONG time.
      The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Our generation? As screwed as can be.

And, when our fellow 90s kids are dying of problems caused by THEIR poor dietary habits, the NHS's page on Paleo will still look like this: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/05May/Pa...anfaddiet.aspx and they will be blaming our generation's poor health on junk-food and attempting to force us to feed our kids how they want them to be fed.
        Hopefully our health will be evidence enough that we can look after our children, but the nanny-state may step in if things get much worse. And then anyone on an unconventional diet will have a problem.
        --
        Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
        I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Given the right treatment, our bodies are marvellously capable of repairing themselves. So while there is life there is hope, but the situation does indeed seem dire for the majority who do not have the information and commitment that you yourself have.
          Annie Ups the Ante
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Thanks all.. I guess i was looking for an estimate for how long it takes to "turn around" a body destroyed by heavy carbs, even if I'm so fit that you can just barely make out my 6-pack (12% bodyfat). I've gone primal for about 4 days and feel dizzy, weak, frail, and too tired to work/teach. My body can no longer produce keytones, and only barely uses fat reserves to send to my brain. I know Mark is a fan of the 21 days trial period.

Thanks for assuming i'm an angel .. but I still have a tiny bit of rice, bread, pasta sprinkled throughout the day.. totaling ~150+ grams of carbs per day. Hopefully things get stable from here on out!!

- Cyrone

Comment

I am 70. I have been following Mark for 5 years. When I started, I looked old, old, old. Now I look and feel about 50. Andy I am getting younger.
              Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

Whether it's true or not I don't know, but I have heard that the body almost completely replaces itself over a period of two years. So if we are what we eat, then by changing diet now we could be a completely different (and healthier) person two years from now. In my actual experience, noticeable improvements can occur in a much shorter time.

I would encourage you to cut out even the "tiny bit" of pasta and bread and get your carbs from starchy veges, a little fruit, or - in a pinch - rice. It's not just the carbs you need to look out for but the addictiveness and anti-nutritional aspects of the wheat and grains.

What else are you eating? Meat, veges, eggs. Make sure to avoid those processed products and seed oils too.

Hedonist, that is an excellent testimony.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

According to what I've found in animal studies, the early years are most important when guessing the lifespan. Even if I move away from the city (I did) avoid tap water and mostly drink well-water (I do) and eat the best, cleanest food I can afford (I do) I may well drop dead at the age of 60 anyway. I'm about to be 31 and grew up eating exactly like you. Yes, I've transformed my body and life, but there's no guarantee I've slowed the clock at all.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

In a way, one can see it like this: if you reached reproductive age and are able to function (make kids), then you are not screwed. On the contrary, if your dieting habits until now have made you disabled, sterile, braindead, etc, then yes, you are screwed!

I wouldn't sweat it and at 24, there is PLENTY of time to correct the bad habits! Don't wait and start now, forget about the past crap.

Comment

Excellent topic.

The important point is kids are screwed by the environment from birth, and then have to spend the rest of their life digging their way out of that whole. The only solution is to change the environment. It's not a willpower or personal choice thing, those can save an individual. But the masses are screwed, big time.

I'm in the states right now and can't believe how FAT people are, but then given the food in the environment it's what happens. Healthcare costs are going to be out of control, more so than they are already.

Comment

Originally posted by dkJames View Post
                        In a way, one can see it like this: if you reached reproductive age and are able to function (make kids), then you are not screwed. On the contrary, if your dieting habits until now have made you disabled, sterile, braindead, etc, then yes, you are screwed!

I wouldn't sweat it and at 24, there is PLENTY of time to correct the bad habits! Don't wait and start now, forget about the past crap.
                        Agree.
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

I got lucky, I guess. I grew up in a state that's big on meat and with a father that was big on veggies. Yes, there were nasties with every meal, but there was at least balance (kinda.)
                          From middle school forward, I took my lunch. It was always a meat and cheese dry sandwich with lettuce and tomato, chips, soda or juice, and fruit or dessert OR leftovers. Yes, it was a sugar and carbfest, but it beat the hell out of what I saw my comrades who ate the school lunch eat.
                          Dinner usually had at least 3 different veggies in it, and meat, and pasta, rolls, or rice. Usually either had milk or water with it.
                          I never ate breakfast.
                          We really weren't allowed to snack. At most, we were allowed an apple or orange.
                          I'm 28, FWIW, and been primal for most of 3 years now.
                          I can't say that we're screwed, but I can't say there's an easy road ahead either. Even if you can get out of the hole, the road is filled with'em, and some of them have pit spikes at the bottom.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by KimchiNinja View Post
                            The important point is kids are screwed by the environment from birth, and then have to spend the rest of their life digging their way out of that hole.
                            Haha, that's my issue exactly.

As for the "sprinkling in pasta/rice" into my meals, I have a hard time believing the 20-30 grams of carbs we get from those is that significant and replacing with fruit/veggies. At the moment i'm just doing it on a gram-by-gram basis (aiming for 150/day max), but i suppose it's important from the perspective of "rewiring" my genes to not need carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrone View Post
                              Haha, that's my issue exactly.

As for the "sprinkling in pasta/rice" into my meals, I have a hard time believing the 20-30 grams of carbs we get from those is that significant and replacing with fruit/veggies. At the moment i'm just doing it on a gram-by-gram basis (aiming for 150/day max), but i suppose it's important from the perspective of "rewiring" my genes to not need carbs?
                              Having seen the cumulative damage that wheat has done to my father (alzheimer's) and the immediate improvement when we cut it out of his diet, I will never again find any temptation in wheat products. Giving up dairy has been disappointing, but even one small portion of clarified butter caused my disappearing acne to flare up. My point is that while those 20-30 grams of carbs from pasta/rice might have no observable effect, they may still be compromising your ability to absorb the nutrients from the rest of your food. You might like to think about cutting them out for a month and seeing how you feel.

It's not about the level of carbs so much, as that tends to be an individual thing, but where those carbs come from, I'd say, yes, can be significant.
                              Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Comment

Working...
                              X