No announcement yet.

Licarrit"s Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an excellent Trikke session in yesterday, @ an hour! Now I really know how to carve and so does the kid. This is so much more fun than riding a bike and soooo much better on my knees than even walking. Can't wait to get out there again tonight. I want to make an exercise video for the contest, much as I love it Trikking is kind of out because of the specialized equipment. What ever I do has to be believable for my body -the wheels are spinning!

Comment

Okay, now I am really confused! I measured my body fat percentage at the beginning of the summer and got 41% yes, it is a really ugly number! Well, I just measured my bodyfat percentage again after being primal all summer and not having any great change on the scale (actually it went up a few pounds!), with a more accurate calculator and I am now at 28.6%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that even possible? I am gobsmacked! I feel so much stronger and look better but could I have dropped that much fat and put on that much muscle? I am starting to see the vaguest definition in my arms and legs but the trunk is still sloppy looking.

Comment

How did you measure your bodyfat?

Just curious to know at what point did you need to start taking insulin?

Comment

DCKMA, I used an estimator to calculate my body fat based on a set of measurements (hips, calf, thigh, wrist) and my personal info (weight, age, sex) The first time I did it I used a different model and it only used hips and waist I think. The one I used yesterday would take into account frame size etc. so I am assuming it would be more accurate. The only way to know for sure is to do a water displacement test and they are killer expensive.

My family "converts" meaning at some point in their type II course they stop making insulin. Its on my mother's side and probably an inbred French-Canadian thing. The docs aren't sure if that is the point I am at yet but while primal I have been able to increase the grams of carb per unit of insulin I take but I have not been able to alter my long-acting in the least and I take a LOT of long acting (46 units split morning and night) I also suspect that the first body fat estimate was way off. I'm heavier than I should be but 41% body fat is Jabba the Hut fat, and I was never that kind of sloppy. I may have been closer to the low 30's and have lost fat from there which is more likely. I'll still take it!

I didn't fail my oral meds till this year. I was on insulin when I was pregnant with my daughter but they put every diabetic on insulin for pregnancy.

This morning after an hour and 1/2 of Trikking last night my sugar was 102! a very beautiful thing! I am going to go take measurements with a real measuring tape, not a paper printed one and plug that in to the formula and see what I get. I was planning to TRX this morning but I am wiped out so I will do it when I get home from work.

Comment

Okay, re did all the numbers with a real tape measure and a fresh weigh in and got 33.5% which is still better than I started with.

I'll do it again at the end of the challenge to see if it changes. It will give me a quantifiable result to my process oriented goals.

Comment

Plugged my old numbers into the new program and got 35.5% BF so I have dropped 2% body fat in less than 3 months not to shabby! And! I hadn't really kicked the exercise piece into gear so now that I (hopefully!) have that working too maybe I'll see some big differences!

Comment

Sounds like you are doing great, licarrit. I think calipers would be more accurate and not that expensive to measure body fat. I need to get some myself. Did your doctors do any kind of tests to determine how much insulin you produce? Sorry for the questions- I am just interested. I am thinking of requesting a C peptides and GAD antibody testing next I go.

Comment

I have an Endocrine appt. coming up soon so I want to ask her about how much insulin I am actually making among other things.

I actually have calipers and I agree, calipers are more accurate in trained hands, the problem is that there aren't alot of trained hands around. My DH is an M.D. and he's no help! The estimator works to show trends and that is fine with me for now.

The real (lifetime) goal is to eliminate or greatly reduce the insulin I am taking. I may not ever be able to get off the long acting but I should be able to control the diet and exercise to eliminate the short acting.

Comment

Okay, I Trikked again last night, less than previously but I had a time crunch and only got it @1/2 an hour still better than the usual attempts at cardio. This morning I got up and did my TRX routine which seemed not so hard so maybe they are more complimentary than I originally thought.

For the record: 3 Trikke sessions this week and only 1 TRX so far but my week is going to go Mon. to Sun so I still have time.

I want to enter the workout and recipe contests so my brain has been buzzing with ideas. I'm going to have to do the filming myself. Everyone else is too freakin' opinionated!

Comment

Okay, I am no good at journaling on the weekends and evidently no good at actually working out either. It rained on and off all weekend so no trikking -I didn't feel too bad about it as I had gotten in 2 very long sessions and one of @ 1/2 an hour. The problem was I didn't get in any more TRX sessions and that is indoors!

So to recap: 3 Trikke sessions, 1 TRX session, close but no cigar as far as goals go. I did find a classic French dessert that I am going to make Primal and shoot a video recipe of so I was at least thinking Primal even if I failed at my exercise goals. Sleeping has eluded me lately which can lead to me not working out so that is something else I need to keep an eye on. My goal for today is to get in a TRX session this afternoon when I get home and since it is supposed to rain most of the week I am allowing myself to sub 1/2 an hour on the treadmill for a Trikke session when needed.

So Goal for this week: 3x TRX sessions, 4 Trikke/treadmill sessions.

I may even make on of the treadmill sessions a HIIT. Hmmm, that could be an interesting exercise vid, how to do "sprinting" when your knees and ankles can't really handle it!

Comment

Got my TRX workout in yesterday, Should be able to Trikke this afternoon. I am sooooooooo tired, stayed up way to late finishing a book -hey it was a really good book!

Comment

okay, the tiredness did not get better and I went to bed at @7:30pm. Woke up just as tired which tells me this is not about staying up late to read. Missed Trikking yesterday. Downloaded a bodyweight workout program (that actually features Mark in the food guides, a good sign! I'm going to look it over today and start tonight. I need to shake this overwhelming exhaustion. The biggest surprise today was that I was telling my DH that he WAS going to start exercising with me and I was prepared for a big showdown and nothing! just a simple okay! That has never happened before!

Comment

that's awesome that DH has agreed to exercise with you!

Comment

Working...
                            X