No announcement yet.

Religion and Politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ annadragon and eyeshield: that's a big and fun can of worms to open. I'll get to that as soon as mood and time allows.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

I don't know if there's a name yet for my brand of spirituality. Experiential Theist with Christian leanings and a more-than-healthy dose of Pagan-Certified personal responsibility thrown in for good measure.

Politics? You can keep them. If I ever get to the point where my disadvantages outweigh my advantages in this country I will either take up arms and join the revolution or set sail and not stop til I see kangaroos.

I've not got the patience for politics.

Comment

OTB - What a load of crap!

Just because some founding fathers were 'heavy hitters' doesn't mean that the constitution should be a living document.

Look at Conventional Wisdom. Just because it can be grown in a test-tube (aka 'advanced science&#39 doesn't make it any less 'OK'.

Bah!

Comment

SF: The constitution has 27 amendments. If that isn't "living", I don't know what is.

The first ten were passed right out of the chute to get more states to pass it. We call them The Bill of Rights. The 21st (??) was repealed so that there are only 26 amendments in effect. So we not only have new amendments, we have revoked one. Pretty living to me.

The FF made things so the constitution could be changed, but not whimsically like most state ones.

I"m not sure what my observation about the faith of "the heavy hitters" has to do with the flexibility to change the constitution within itself.

Comment

I say "God help me" too much not to believe although I'm not a big fan of organized religion.

Comment

Athiest, but I do believe in interconnectedness and karma.

I want to say liberal.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

TT: (Hands together, slight bow.)

Comment

Religion: Agnostic

Politics: Mostly libertarian -- the main purpose of the government should be national defense and maintaining general order within society (i.e. police, etc). I support some spending for public education because education gives people the OPPORTUNITY to succeed and further themselves; it doesn't simply hand anything out to them.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am delighted to hear a relatively large amount of self-described Capitalists on this forum.

Comment

I'm a conservative Christian...not a religious guy however. Might not make sense, but it makes perfect sense. Saved by faith, not by going to Church.

Politically...I'm pretty well opposed to both parties. The only diff I see is one wants 35% income tax and the other want's 40%. All crooks as far as I'm concerned.

Ron Paul and Mike Huckabee are my guys.

Comment

I like Huckabee too.

Comment

I just watched a video affirming we will eat our children (min 4:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEjpl50_XE

Thought it might have some future impact on our Primal lifestyle.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
                          "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

athiest

socially liberal, fiscally conservative.

im from australia where we have "social medicine" and ive never run into any problems or even ever heard of any problems with our medical system until i hear all the bull spewing from the mouths of people on tv. so i barely even watch tv anymore because i cant stand the drug commercials and propaganda news.

Ron Paul is about the only political person i have any respect for.

Comment

As frightening as I found that video of future child consumption, I then made the mistake of clicking on a related video and discovered these darling girls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jNfDU_Hm_Y

Who needs rational compassion and loving acceptance when you can have gleeful fervor in the destruction of all humanity?! I love the self-validating logic that opposition only further proves the veracity of their position; further evidence of the complete irrelevance of unsubstantiated religious claims in a progressive, healthy society.

Comment

That's what you get when you mix ignorance, gullibility and absolute certainty. Give them power and I can perfectly picture them stabbing someone while smiling and with an absolute clear conscience. The creepiest twins I have seen after the one's in Kubrick's The Shining.

This was the video I was talking about:

http://tinyurl.com/l99ygd

It's also from the Westboro Baptist Church and is called "God Hates the World". It actually took me a while to digest the fact that it wasn't a parody.

Comment

Working...
                                X