No announcement yet.

Religion and Politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persistent and widespread beliefs in magic today, in the middle of the 21st century, makes me want to lose the little hope on humanity I have left.

Religion: Atheist

Politics: I used to be a libertarian, but the more I read about psychological determinism and free will, the more I think that we need a state to compensate inequalities based on luck, not effort. So I am not sure anymore...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

bruce.b, have you read any Ayn Rand?

A long time ago I did. I should check her out again.

Recently finished The Paleo Diet, Primal Blueprint and Good Calories, Bad Calories; all good. GCBC is sometimes a bit of a slog but worthwhile. Interesting discussion of the rampant bias and bad science in the field.

I'm currently reading adventure books. Just finished Born To Run. I found it very enjoyable. I'm reading Crazy For The Storm by Norman Ollestad right now. Great book! The story of an 11 year old who is the only survivor of a plane crash. It's also about his childhood and his adventure seeking dad (surfer, skier, FBI agent, lawyer). Into Thin Air and Shadow Divers up next.

bruce b.

Comment

Atheist/agnostic

Libertarian(minarchist)

Comment

bruce.b - Shadow Divers is a great read. Read it last year after a friend recommended it. Ever read "Endurance" (about Ernest Shackleton's crew)? Also a fantastic adventure and survival read.

Comment

Religion: A/non-theist

Politics: Federalist/Libertarian

Serial, I'm really curious about your statement regarding psychological determinism and free will. Care to expound? You can start a new thread so we don't threadjack.

Comment

Catholic

Republican

Comment

I don't believe in religion because it's organized religion (YUCK), but I believe in God and the bible, so most call me 'Christian'.

I believe in our Founding Fathers and the Constitution, so I guess that's a 'Constitutionalist'? Or, more to the point: Republican (yucky word)/ Conservative Libertarian?

I just want to protect our certain unalienable rights!

Comment

"Serial, I'm really curious about your statement regarding psychological determinism and free will. Care to expound? You can start a new thread so we don't threadjack. "

+1

Comment

Christian/Conservative

Comment

SassaFrass, most of the "heavy hitter" Founding Fathers were deists and Unitarians. It probably took Enlightenment informed, free thinking men like Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc to come up with the most UN-conservative political experiment ever: government by the people. Very, very liberal as Washington has noted.

In the secular world, I, too, revere the Constitution. But just like spiritual revelation, constitutional revelation is ongoing. Hence, the amendments. A living document, but easily changed. As it should be.

Comment

I'm certain sure there's a lot going on which we simply dont perceive from our limited viewpoint, but IMO the only "religion" that comes close is Zen Buddism because it offers some ways to recognise the limits of what we believe we perceive, and exceed them. Or maybe I did too much acid in the sixties and seventies.

Whoever you vote for, the Government always gets in. Or to paraphrase Winston Churchill, democracy is absolutely the worst way to run a country, except for all the alternatives . . .

. . . IMO, some things need controlling on a world basis, other things are best left to individuals and everything else comes somewhere in between.

Comment

I am pagan/animist.

As for politics, it depends. On some things I am very liberal. On others, I am very conservative. Like Trinkwasser above, I think that some things need controlling and watchdogging and other things should be entirely left up to the individual.

Capitalism is great insofar as it goes, but without regulation, those who can, take extreme advantages and manipulate the public so that their own coffers overflow, at the expense of the common good. Take the food and drug industry, for example, not to mention the recent shakeups on Wall Street and the Housing collapse.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                          Current weight: 199
                          Goal: 145

Comment

The natural order of unregulated capitalism is monopoly.

Regulating capitalism actually helps the larger society because it (tries to) prevents that monopolistic tendency. Sometimes even capitalists turn to the government to sort things out to give a stable platform. The FCC was created at the request of broadcasters because radio stations were doing what they wanted, and the ones who could afford the most powerful transmitters ruled. The only real losers of regulation is the company that would have held the monopoly.

Comment

Born Again Christian Conservative Republican

Comment

Nonreligious

Libertarian

Comment

Working...
                                X