Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh I do have a question...How does one do Paleo on a budget?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh I do have a question...How does one do Paleo on a budget?

We are military family and hubs doesn't make that much and with all my ailments I am unable to work right now. So...how do we go Primal/Paleo on a tight budget. Grass Fed beef and bird and eggs are way outta our reach right now with as much meat as we need to eat with this WOE. So...am I just kickin rocks with this doing it with plain old store bought meats and such?

There's a bajillion posts in the forums if you do a quick search, but also, Mark has a lot of articles about this if you haven't gotten a chance to jeck them out:

Healthy Eating on a Budget | Mark's Daily Apple

Budget Eating Recipes | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Eat Healthy and Save Money | Mark's Daily Apple -- This one has a ton of links on the bottom of the page that show all of Mark's other budget-friendly posts.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Thanks sooooo much!!!!! Still trying to navigate this place, lol

Comment

No problem! Just remember - none of us here are billionaires or anything, so nobody really can spend oodles of money on food all of the time! Just make smarter choices than your formerly-SAD diet and you will be doing your body good without hurting the budget.
        >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
        >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
        >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

It is okay not to eat grass fed and organic if you cannot afford it.

Also do some math. Mark recommends eating .5 -.8 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass. There are LBM calculators on the web.
          My LBM is approximately 134 so my protein range is 67 grams to 107 grams. You should be able to save money if you watch your protein servings. Protein grams add up fast.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Even though I am a billionaire (ha ha big fat lie) I still buy lots of non-grass-fed meat. I get these really big huge chicken breasts, enormous top sirloin steaks and organ meats from this ethnic market with amazingly reasonable prices. I also keep costs down by buying less produce. I used to throw away so much produce because I'd get so seduced by how pretty it was in the market. I just eat really super simple and plain--every meal is meat and potatoes or meat and veggies. I make fancy stuff now and then for dinner so it's not too boring.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Thankfully, the fattiest cuts of the meat are the cheapest, and also the most calorically dense. Some cheaper cuts also have bone in them which adds to the flavour.
              A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Many of us can't afford grass fed meat. I buy what I can afford and take fish oil to try to balance it out with lots of omega 3s.

Comment

I do try to buy grassfed - I made a decision that I would prioritise high quality over other things, so will spend more on meat and cut back in other areas if I need to. However, I have found that, after an adjustment period, I find that I actually just eat a lot less these days in generally and so overall actually spend less on groceries than I used to...it's just that the proportions are very different in that around 70% of my weekly shop is at the butchers and only 30% at the supermarket, rather than the other way around.

I hasten to add, however, that I do generally buy cheaper cuts of meat and slow cook them....mmmm beef shin, pork belly etc. I have a huge piece of pork belly just waiting to be roasted today and my mouth is watering at the thought of it!

Comment

First buy real food. You will save heaps not forking out for the cans and packets of processed products.

Then as people have said, the cheaper cuts of meat are actually the ones we are looking for - higher in fat, maybe with the bones in etc.

You can often get more than one meal out of your purchase. eg buy a whole chicken for roasting. Then use the leftover bones to make broth that you can use for soup the next day. Or if you grill your chops and save the dripping, that is that much less butter you need to buy.

Eggs are an economical source of protein. Personally this is one area where I do spend extra to get free range - the quality is so much better. But just start where you can.

Produce does not necessarily have to be organic. It's preferable to grains, sugar and those fake processed items and probably not more expensive.

It's still definitely worth adopting this way of eating.

I'm sorry you're unable to work but if it means you have more time to spend in the kitchen preparing food from scratch then that will work to your advantage. It gets to be enjoyable too. Good luck.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by BellaPorter View Post
                      We are military family and hubs doesn't make that much and with all my ailments I am unable to work right now. So...how do we go Primal/Paleo on a tight budget. Grass Fed beef and bird and eggs are way outta our reach right now with as much meat as we need to eat with this WOE. So...am I just kickin rocks with this doing it with plain old store bought meats and such?
                      Depending on whether or not your husband eats at the DFAC or not will also play in to the budget (also how many meals a day). If you say he doesn't make much then I assume he is an enlisted guy probably E-5 or lower. If he has a meal card he should eat at the DFAC and make the healthiest choices he can. It will save you guys money in the long run.

1. As stated, hubby eats breakfast in the DFAC. For example. Breakfast 5 days a week at 2.30 or so a pop costs you $46 a month. That should equate to less eggs and breakfast meats kept in the house. You should only have to cook for you and the kids.
                      2. You need protein but buy chicken legs and thighs instead of breasts. They are much cheaper per pound. Get a vaccuum sealer to preserve the meat in the freezer. Shop for deals and don't get bent out of shape about not buying grass fed meat. If you can't afford it right now you can't afford it.
                      3. Plan your meals for the week. Inventory what you have in the house and only buy what you need to prepare your planned meals. You'd be surprised how much extra food you buy otherwise.
                      4. Remember you'll eat less naturally if you eat right. However, I would still buy some bulk nuts (walnuts, etc) to keep around the house as a small snack to curb hunger between meals. Buying bulk on expensive, relatively non-perishable items will save money.
                      5. Common sense stuff like don't buy pre-packaged lettuce, veggies, etc. because they're more expensive.
                      6. Don't eat out. Its a waste of money. And if you're really strapped for cash be hard on yourself. Eat out only once a month. Cooking your own food in the long run is way cheaper and you guys can get some quality time together.
                      7. Save money for food by saving money elsewhere. Cancel your cable. Netflix. Reduce your cell phone bill. Reduce the driving you do (or he does) to save gas money. All that stuff can go away if your health is more important to you. Use on-post facilities like the library to rent movies.
                      8. Shop at the commissary.

Comment

I see that I buy less now: in the sense that my shopping cart is less full, and although the items each one are bit more expensive, the total sum is the same or less, depends on the mood and offer in the shop. And we don't buy all those breads, cookies, ice creams, rice crackers, potatoes, chips, colas, bottled teas, and what not. Actually they cost LOTS of money.

Comment

I would recommend adding some bone broth to your diet. I had been reading recently about the ability to reduce your protein intake by consuming more bone broth. Bones are cheap, even from the grass-fed animals.
                          Top 5 Reasons Why Bone Broth is The Bomb. | Underground Wellness

Good luck with everything

Comment

Do you have a local butcher? The stuff he doesn't sell/throws out (offal, bones) is usually cheap and tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaHorse View Post
                              And we don't buy all those breads, cookies, ice creams, rice crackers, potatoes, chips, colas, bottled teas, and what not. Actually they cost LOTS of money.
                              Exactly.

I'm just starting the Primal thing but we've been eating as much grass-fed meat and dairy as we can swing for awhile. I prioritize meat and dairy over other expenses. I will definitely spend extra money on eggs or beef ober organic veg--especially the "ok" veggies that aren't among the most tainted.

We eat a lot of free-range chicken thighs (I save all bones for broth) and ground and cheaper cuts of beef. A whole pasture-raised chicken is a real treat for us.

I try to make things that offer a few meals. A pressure cooker is great bc you can make broth in 20 mins (beef broth would be even shorter). I will also buy meat on sale and portion it and freeze.
                              Last edited by Beets; 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X