Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to not eat enough? Weight gain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to not eat enough? Weight gain?

Hey guys,
    I'm still very green to the Primal lifestyle and I find that since I'm eating fat/protein (not crazy amounts, mind you, but a moderate serving of meat in a stew with veggies) I get full and stay full.
    So I'm usually only eating about two meals a day, that are large. But I used to eat much more. I'm just simply not hungry. I've only been Paleo totally for the past week or so so I don't think I'm burning enough fat to be sustaining myself.
    I'm up 4lbs on the scale from last week, weighed at the same time and place, naked. Could I be shocking my metabolism? Other factors: I haven't been drinking as much water, I am PMSing, my potassium supps ran out...

Today's the first day that I'm going to track my nutrition. I'll average when the week is up and post my stats so you guys can help.
    Right now, I'm a 16yo girl, somewhat active, at 5'5" and 165lbs. I'm hoping to lose 25lbs from where I stand at least.
    Thanks
    My Primal Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
    5'5"
    SW: 170
    CW: 162
    GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

you will just have to count your calories to make sure you're getting enough/not too much. according to an online calorie calculator you should be eating around 1400 calories if you want to lose weight (make sure you count in exercise into the calorie counting too, unless it's in the morning on an empty stomach).

You don't have to count calories religiously, just make sure it's around 1400 and you should lose weight

Comment

I think you're doing just fine you're naturally eating less, don't force it to become even less. And eat more when you're more hungry
      well then

Comment

Could be water retention if you are at the end of your cycle. You need to give your body time to adjust as well. Also, you are 16 and quite possibly still growing. Just eat healthy, follow your hunger, and stay away from the scale for at least a month!

Comment

also make sure you weight yourself in the morning before you have eaten or drank to check your results, i notice food and water can add up to 5 pounds of weight when i eat.

Comment

Originally posted by golangrok View Post
            Hey guys,
            I'm still very green to the Primal lifestyle and I find that since I'm eating fat/protein (not crazy amounts, mind you, but a moderate serving of meat in a stew with veggies) I get full and stay full. So I'm usually only eating about two meals a day, that are large. But I used to eat much more. I'm just simply not hungry. I've only been Paleo totally for the past week or so so I don't think I'm burning enough fat to be sustaining myself.
            I'm up 4lbs on the scale from last week, weighed at the same time and place, naked. Could I be shocking my metabolism? Other factors: I haven't been drinking as much water, I am PMSing, my potassium supps ran out...

Today's the first day that I'm going to track my nutrition. I'll average when the week is up and post my stats so you guys can help.
            Right now, I'm a 16yo girl, somewhat active, at 5'5" and 165lbs. I'm hoping to lose 25lbs from where I stand at least.
            Thanks
            I think you've found the key. Pay attention to your body's hunger cues. Eat for optimal nutrition when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.

Females don't see drastic differences instantly. Give it at least 6 weeks (or maybe a couple of cycles) to see how your body responds. We are cyclical, hormones do have an effect.

And don't weigh...MEASURE.
            Attention Scale Addicts! | Everyday Paleo
            Attention Scale Addicts, part 2 | Everyday Paleo
            Sandra
            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

This month, my weight shot up like 4-5 pounds TWO WEEKS before my period. It hovered around there, came down a pound or so, and then when I finally started on my period it fell off and the losses I'd racked up started showing. So maybe it's that. Don't stress...this works. I stick with it, and as long as I do, I lose weight. Maybe I won't show a loss, but I'm still losing, and it eventually shows up.
              29/F
              5'4.5
              Highest weight: 220
              Starting weight: 195
              Current weight: 179
              Goal weight: 127

Comment

Thank for all the replies. I actually feel much better today - upped my water and stayed clean.
                My Primal Journal:

16 years old
                5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

It's probably just water retention. I feel so much fullness in my belly the days surrounding the start of my period that I don't dare weigh myself - I'm sure I carry 3-5 extra pounds of water. Give it another week or two and check again.

And Sandra is spot-on: your measurements and how your clothes fit are more important and helpful than scale weight.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly! I always tell folks to ditch the scale. Don't be a slave to it! Weight is not synonymous with health!
                    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Okay. Thanks for the advice, all. Another question though. I get bloated after most meals, and feel like the food is just sitting there. Is it my body adjusting to the new large quantities of fat and protein? Any other experiences?
                      My Primal Journal:

16 years old
                      5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Originally posted by golangrok View Post
                        Okay. Thanks for the advice, all. Another question though. I get bloated after most meals, and feel like the food is just sitting there. Is it my body adjusting to the new large quantities of fat and protein? Any other experiences?
                        Research suggests that not drinking large quantities of water :30 minutes before and :30 minutes after eating aids in digestion of food, and reduces bloating. I used to drink tons of water through my meals and experienced bloating. Much better now that I wait for an hour for my meal to digest. Just something to try.
                        ----------------------------------------
                        F, 48, 5'10"
                        Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
                        Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

if you're anything like me, stay away from the scales in the days before your period. I easily gain 2 kilos and am like a walking hot air balloon - bloated and full of gas, urgh. Sorry for if that's TMI.

Comment

LOUISA - Thank you so much for that, I do guzzle water before and after eating!!

However, I'm starting to feel like it's not just the scale! It didn't move today, but I do actually FEEL fatter.
                            But my cycle has been really messed up lately - it's spontaneously gone from a regular 28 day cycle to only being 19 days apart.
                            I'm also getting more breakouts on my chest so I should probably get tested for PCOS.

I'm calculating my total calories/carbs/protein...haven't touched fat yet. But so far for the past few days I'm averaging 2,000 calories, with around 120g protein and 70g carbs.
                            Does that seems alright? Let me do the math real quick.

I'm averaging about 2000 calories, some days 2100, some days 1900.
                            The breakdown is like this (on average)

24% calories from protein (120g)
                            14% calories from carbs (70g)
                            61% calories from fat (135g)

Does this look way off the mark? I'm also insulin resistant so I'm very wary of that adding carbs approach...advice, anybody?
                            I'd like to isolate where I'm going wrong before I gain any more weight. That would be devastating to me and my recovery from bulimia
                            My Primal Journal:

16 years old
                            5'5"

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Working...
                            X