Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, this is my first post. I am a 63 year old female who has had issues with my weight all my life. Mainly because I eat too much and exercise too little. I live in Ottawa Canada. Right now I weight 202 lbs but yesterday the scale said 200 lbs.

My frustration is I started Ketogenics a week ago. I have not cheated once and have been in Ketotis for about 3 days. I have been drinking as much water as I can but I have extreme pain in my upper stomach and then diarrhea.

Can someone tell my Ketogentics is not working this time and why I have pain and diarrhea. I have tried Atkins before and it worked like a charm. I just didn't stay on it.
    Last edited by dcowell; 09-10-2016, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Good morning from Canada!
      Tried many diets - right now doctor prescribed Low Carb High Fat Diet which I have tried to follow but then I came across the Primal Diet and really can relate to the science and background for this diet. I love dairy and loved grains but I am now grain free and feel better but not 100% yet as I still carry at least 35-40 lbs of too much weight. On medication that caused the weight gain but slowly on path of reduction and health coming back. In my journey of eating in life many times I became very sick and suddenly in the last few years a light came and I understood I had to eat basically only real whole foods so on journey to regain health. Just started getting info re the Primal Diet and looks like this is the best road. Do hope it will help with weight loss and building muscle mass. So already eating healthy and getting as much exercise indoors and out as my knees can take (have problems with knees right now probably from excessive weight) and will work towards transitioning as best I am able to follow this diet and lifestyle as it appears this lifestyle is right! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Your Location: California

How primal are you: Not to primal but I would like to live the most primal life style I can

Do you consume dairy: I try not to sense I heard about the primal blue print

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee but only otganic and I use coconut creamer and maple syrup instead of dairy creamer and suger

Motivator for swtching to primal: I want to live the healthiest Life style I can, also I love nature and primal promotes "Play"

Favorite Excercise: Pull ups (but i am not good at them anymore)

Favorite Primal food: at the moment it is hamburgers with lettuece wraps

Best part about being primal: I feel great sense I started this!

worst part about being primal: I miss chili fries, taco bell, and dorritos also sense I am a noob and never "grocery shopped" before I heard about primal I have almost no idea what I am doing.

Comment

Hi! just wanted to say holy crap I can not beliee people are still on here. I just heard about paleo and primal stuff 2 months ago and I was worried people were not going to post anything on her anymore lol.

You said you have been following this site for a while now, so I was just wondering how active is the site still in terms of the creator posting articles and what not?

Comment

• Your location: Originally from Florida but after being a gypsy for a few years and living all over Ive settled in Central Massachusetts. Im about 45-60 minutes outside of Boston.

Age (If you want):43

How Primal are you: trying to be full on Primal. Just started this week

Do you consume dairy: NO

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes to both but only in small amounts like one or two cups a day

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss and general health

Favorite exercise: Pilates equipment

Favorite Primal food: veggies. I love veggies like brussel sprouts and broccoli. All the one we were supposed to hate as a kid I love now

Best part about being Primal:how I look and feel

Worst part about being Primal: I have a massive sweet tooth and love candy, cupcakes etc.

Comment

• Hello Everyone

Your location: Romeoville, IL (about a 25 minute drive from Chicago when there's no traffic)

Age (If you want): 33 y/o male

How Primal are you: Pretty darn primal...so long as I can afford it

Do you consume dairy: Grass-fed butter, some cheese every few days, and heavy cream in some soups/gravies.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee, both black & buttered/MCT oiled

Motivator for switching to Primal: My overall health...it's not just about weight loss to me anymore. And that's why I've been able to stick to this change in eating/living longer than I have any other.

Favorite exercise: Lifting weights...just not as often as I used to ;-)

Favorite Primal food: Macadamias are my go-to

Best part about being Primal: I think more clearly now...and I am dropping weight like never before. As of today I'm down 43 lbs in 2 months.

Worst part about being Primal: I miss bread (especially sourdough or fresh french/italian) for sandwiches, buns for my dang burgers, and corn (that includes tortillas/chips)...but most of all...pizza.

Comment

• My name is Ginny and I'm new to this blog. I'm a vegetarian looking for optimal health and to lose weight. With back problems, arthritis, menopause, and many other things against me, I try lead a somewhat active and busy life with work, home, and family. Any suggests or help would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• I'm unsure how to get my profile to show, any help would be appreciated.

Comment

• This is Me.

Hi, Everyone.

I've been visiting this website since October last year when my journey began, but this is my first post. Right....to the questions.

The Questions:

Your location: New Zealand

Age (If you want): 49 (just turned )

How Primal are you: I don't consider myself Primal, but my way of eating happens to agree with a lot of the Primal view, as I understand it.

Do you consume dairy: Oh, yeah!

Do you drink coffee or tea: I wish. I can't stand the taste. I've tried, but it just won't stick. But I'd LOVE to drink coffee...I so love the smell.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health and wanting to be free of the bondage food has had on me for the last 30 years of my life!

Favorite exercise: Cycling.

Favorite Primal food: Pork belly.

Best part about being Primal: How it makes me feel, and the liberty it has bought me in many areas of my life.

Worst part about being Primal: The question I get from others when I tell them I don't eat any grains or anything with refined sugar (no cereal, no bread, no rice). The first question out of their mouth is, "So what do you eat?!!" as if there's nothing else to eat....lol.

I started nearly a year ago and have lost 43.6 kilos (95 lbs) with about another 15 to go (I really don't know how many to go because I can never remember being at a healthy weight, so I don't know what I'll look like 15 kilos more down). Anyway, I'll know when to stop.

Eating clean has really changed my life. I now am able to get out and enjoy God's green earth like it's meant to be enjoyed. And I have energy! It's amazing! I've joined the local hiking club (never would have thought!). Some of my hobbies are photography, gardening, guitar, singing and cooking.

So, that's me. Cheers, everybody. xx

Michaela (pronounced Mick-EYE-lah)
                    Last edited by FrothyChocolate; 09-26-2016, 01:42 AM. Reason: To give weight conversion.

Comment

• Gronk that fell off the wagon and needs to get back to gronking

My story... see below my answers to the questions.... thanks for reading!

The Questions:

Your location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: 90%

Do you consume dairy: No except the occasional Froyo escapade (bad Josh)

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes, both: black coffee and black tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss

Favorite exercise: running and playing football

Favorite Primal food: bacon

Best part about being Primal: duh... bacon

Worst part about being Primal:[/QUOTE] No Froyo!!!

My Story.... on 12/24/13 I decided to start a primal life style. I spent the next week through the holidays eating ham and turkey and drinking scotch. I lived this way up until April 2016. When I started I weighed 263 lbs, looked terrible, drank a lot, and generally hated myself.

Over the next three years I straightened out my diet and dropped to 240 lbs. I ate primal foods and stayed in ketosis eating approximately 5% carbs from veggies, 20% protein, and 75% fat (butter and animal fat are soooo good).

I worked out over those two years by doing indoor gym things like Elliptical (the lazy man's workout), the treadmill (I love falling off of it), and lifting weights (gaining muscle/fat).

Then, in September 2015 I started running using C25K and had adapted to an Intermittent fasting diet (16hr fast with 4-8 hour eating window and 1800 Kcals.)

Once I started running in a fasting state, in ketosis, and eating primal the weight fell off. By Xmas 2015 I was 205 lbs and running 5Ks. What a change.

My marriage also crumbled around me then and I was living with friends and had an odd "guy on the couch lifestyle" which was both terrible and great for my diet. The drinking and drugs were not though.

Now its September 2016, I am back with my wife and family (Thank God) and happy again but I have lost my caveman edge. I can't get back to my usually diet but my running has stayed strong. I still run 6 days a week.

The only thing now that I need to correct is my diet (no drinking and drugs anymore BTW).

Any tips from the community to get back to a lean, mean IF lifestyle. I need some help. My optimal goal would be to run in the AM (I get up at 5, run by 6, at work by 8), eat lunch around 3/4pm, have dinner by 10pm and then do it all over again.

Any tips/motivation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comment

• Greetings folks

Your location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Age (If you want): Just turned 40

How Primal are you: Just started the journey by purchasing Mark's Primal Endurance book

Do you consume dairy: Kefir made from Raw Milk, a bit of cheese exceptionally and grass-fed butter in my coffee

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink coffee every morning (Bulletproof Coffee)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Long history of skin issues (inflammation), brain fog, low energy, stomach cramps,...

Favorite exercise: Outdoor basketball, running (at aerobic pace of course), kettle bells

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: Feeling buzzed all the time

Worst part about being Primal: Ditching bread

Comment

• Your location: I live in a small village in Hungary

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: I exercise a a lot and I eat quite healthily but I still eat bread :-(

Do you consume dairy: occasionally cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: remaining healthy

Favorite exercise: Push up-Plank and Pull up

Favorite Primal food: salads

Best part about being Primal: being full of energy

Worst part about being Primal: can't eat sweeties as I used to :-)

Comment

• Your location: Charlotte, NC. I grew up on the south side of Chicago.

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: Savage Level with an oops day once a month

Do you consume dairy: Yes. My n=1 experimentation taught me that I can tolerate some dairy. I mostly go after grass fed cheese, butter, heavy cream.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, coffee/espresso, Rob Wolf style

Motivator for switching to Primal: Lifelong food allergies, unsheddable 25 lbs, joint pain from old injuries, my Paleo experiment had positive statistical significance

Favorite exercise: Mountain bike endurance racing, kettlebells, burpee pullups

Favorite Primal food: brined and smoked chicken

Best part about being Primal: I feel great maybe even better than I did when I was 25, I still perform on the bike at a high level, brain function

Worst part about being Primal: I am surrounded by unhealthy lifestyle people who feel that drinking a neurotoxin is the best way to enjoy life
                            Last edited by mrbigisbudgood; 10-04-2016, 10:29 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Tennessee

Age (If you want): 54

How Primal are you: 90% out of 100

Do you consume dairy: only butter at this point

Do you drink coffee or tea: only on rare occasions

Motivator for switching to Primal: better health, more energy

Favorite exercise: bench press, jogging

Favorite Primal food: Big juicy grilled steak!

Best part about being Primal: It makes me "just feel healthy"

Worst part about being Primal: very few complaints

Comment

• Your location: Bethlehem, Connecticut

Age (If you want): 32 (about to turn 33)

How Primal are you: Starting out but so far very

Do you consume dairy: Cheese periodically, yogurt most days (good yogurt)

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee, tea periodically

Motivator for switching to Primal: live a healthier life, lose weight, be happy

Favorite exercise: road cycling, lifting heavy things

Favorite Primal food: bacon!

Best part about being Primal: eating foods that make me happy and feeling amazing

Worst part about being Primal: I thought it would be giving up the grains. It's been hard but not as bad as I thought it would be. I can't think of anything bad about it at this point

DAN

Comment

Working...
                                X