This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread

Hi everyone! Name is Matt & I've been in the Air Force since 2002. I discovered MDA shortly after it launched years ago and read the posts religiously but never converted to Primal/Paleo due to costs (I was living in Guam at the time) and "forgot" about the site completely for a while due to work and school schedule (I was mostly a full time student for 3/4 the year). Speed things up several years and last May I blew out my right knee from lifting heavy combined with a running routine that didn't make any sense (looking back anyways). I switched to a vegetarian diet that August in hopes of cleaning up my nutrition and overall health ... it worked. Despite having detached tendons/ligaments in my knee, my body "slowly" healed all the way up by Nov after ZERO lifting or running for the months in-between but I had packed on close to 25 lbs since May and felt terrible. I started lifting/running again in Dec after being cleared to do so by my doc, but I had a terrible time with recovery due to not getting enough protein intake to offset my workouts. After MUCH deliberating, researching, & reading Primal Blueprint I decided to switch over. I took it easy and was eating probably 70/30 while my wife and I were getting rid of our stockpile(s) of non-Primal foods. I buckled down and went 99% Primal for July and now I'm sold. Where I used to have to eat 3-4 times a day, I now typically eat 2 times but often will only eat once due to a lack of hunger. I've also managed to drop about 15 lbs since May while lowering my amount of workouts, which would have been impossible on SAD & CW.

Your location: Las Vegas

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: 85-90%

Do you consume dairy: yes, but full fat and we're looking to start buying as close to "off the udder as possible". Maybe 1-2 yogurts a week, 1-2 cups of milk a month.

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes. Black coffee. Green and black teas.

Motivator for switching to Primal: health and distrust of additives/preservatives in our foods

Favorite exercise: deadlift and running

Favorite Primal food: sushi (sans rice) or grass fed steaks

Best part about being Primal: energy levels, mental clarity, recovery after workouts, deeper sleep

Worst part about being Primal: the general public's lack of understanding. I personally cannot think of anything bad since switching over.

-Matt

Comment

• Hi! I haven't been here in a while so I'd say I'm new now. I'm older, wiser, and not executing my primal life nearly as well as I used to. I'm here for inspiration and support.

The Questions:

Your location: Midwest

Age (If you want): 35

How Primal are you: 50%, striving for 80

Do you consume dairy: yes but I feel better when I don't

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Years ago I discovered it because of increasing anxiety, trouble getting pregnant and weight gain. Now, I'm coming back to reverse the aging process and shed some extra fluff.

Favorite exercise: Heavy lifting, especially squatting and deadlifting

Favorite Primal food: eggs

Best part about being Primal: the excellent sleep

Worst part about being Primal: happy hours; knowing just how bad that tasty processed stuff is for me

Comment

• Just started last Monday, so still a newbie.

Your location: Nebraska

Age (If you want): 50

How Primal are you: Fairly

Do you consume dairy: Some

Do you drink coffee or tea: Usually one cup of one or the other a day

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss, lower cholesterol, general health improvement

Favorite exercise: Walking, yoga, swimming

Favorite Primal food:

Best part about being Primal: In my 7 days, I've already noticed I have no bloating and far more energy

Worst part about being Primal: Taking out my grains!

Comment

• Long time lurker, first time poster

Your location: Ireland

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: 60% ish

Do you consume dairy: in fairly controlled amounts

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee twice a day, lots of green tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss, health in general

Favorite exercise: taekwondo, deadlift, walking, yoga

Favorite Primal food: Turkey burger

Best part about being Primal: haven't had heartburn in two years

Worst part about being Primal: I'm ashamed to admit that I LOVE McDonald's

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Started primal plan Monday after poor results with many (many!) other diets.

Your location: Utah

Age (If you want): 38

How Primal are you: Currently Very, also reading Perfect Health Diet and may be making adjustments

Do you consume dairy: Yes, cream, butter, full fat yogurt and some cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, usually coffee with cream

Motivator for switching to Primal: Type 2 Diabetes management and weight loss. Have been struggling past year controlling with diet/exercise.

Favorite exercise: Walking dogs and biking

Favorite Primal food: Eggs, chicken

Best part about being Primal: Good energy, can eat to satisfaction

Worst part about being Primal: Struggle with 80/20 (based on previous experience). Having an occasional treat often spirals to going off-plan for days/weeks.

Comment

• Hi I'm new to this site but not a total newbie to primal style eating. I first came across the 'if you don't kill it or pick it don't eat it' way a couple of years ago but after 2-3 months of going paleo I went back to my old ways. I have read a couple of Mark's books recently and that's drawn me back into the primal way of living so here I am feeling excited about the prospects of a cleaner healthier future. Oh I'm also a personal trainer and haven't really ever had a weight issue but health and longevity mean the world to me.

Your location: Leeds, England

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: 80%

Do you consume dairy: butter, milk, cheese in small daily amounts

Do you drink coffee or tea: strong Black coffee 4-5 times a day

Motivator for switching to Primal: health, longevity and endurance

Favorite exercise: hmm I love the balance between all I do. Weights, running, ice hockey, Pilates

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: I love meat!

Worst part about being Primal: eating out is testing

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Greetings from Norway

i'm a 39 yr old man who has been on this journey for some time. I know whats its like to have good health, but unfortunatly I also know what its like to loose it all. Had some personal difficulties two years ago that spiralled me into old patterns. I gained 60lbs and feel terrible. I'm now ready to commit to making the changes that will propel me again to vitality, joy and peace of mind

Your location: Oslo, Norway

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: I'm not

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: Get more vitality, abundance of energy, clear and strong mind, harmonious emotional life and be the best father and lover I can be.

Favorite exercise: HIIT.

Favorite Primal food: Meat (hope to make some primal bbq).

Best part about being Primal: Looking forward to find it out

Worst part about being Primal: Not being able to have the occasional treat without spiralling out of control again.

Comment

• Yooooo!

The Questions:
                  How Primal are you: Just starting but, surprisinly very
                  Do you consume dairy: I don't
                  Do you drink coffee or tea: Green tea, red tea, mint tea, ginger tea and of course MATE (which is actually an infusion not really tea)

Motivator for switching to Primal: deep deep depresion and anxiety disorder

Favorite exercise: HIIT

Favorite Primal food: Eggs

Best part about being Primal: A lot less cooking and more fatty foods yeah!

Worst part about being Primal: no more banana oatmeal cookies

Nice to meet you all. If you are in Argentina and know about local group meetings or would like to form a local group... Email me? I'm in CABA

Comment

• Your location: Richmond Virginia, USA

Age (If you want):39

How Primal are you: newb level primal

Do you consume dairy: not regularly, but I am not opposed to enjoying it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: COFFEE, black, straight up.

Motivator for switching to Primal: failed with other nutrition plans

Favorite exercise: Power Yoga, but it's not really "yoga" more of a variant.

Favorite Primal food: I assume steak is primal, so STEAK

Best part about being Primal: You guy's tell me.

Worst part about being Primal: no grains
                    Last edited by exheavyhippie; 08-31-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• My Introduction

Hello, my name is Francois (Frank) Comeau.

Your location:
                      Green Bay, Wisconsin

Age (If you want):
                      35 for one last month

How Primal are you:
                      One week in (assuming we're doing it right)

Do you consume dairy:
                      some, I'm lactose intolerant, but nothing too serious

Do you drink coffee or tea:
                      daily flavored green tea, nothing added

Motivator for switching to Primal:
                      I've been doing 22ish minutes (depending on how long my episode on netflix is) on the exercise bike every morning since Jan. 1 of this year, but haven't lost any weight. once the weather got good enough here, started biking to work which is 5.5 miles there and back, 11 miles total, but I wasn't losing any weight. I biked to work quite a bit last year and lost 25lbs, but this year, nothing. I HAVE been maintaining though. So my wife and I are trying this new lifestyle out hoping to lose some weight.

Favorite exercise:
                      cycling

Favorite Primal food:
                      Not too sure...

Best part about being Primal:
                      Lost 8lbs in 7 days (I know it's water weight, and I don't care)

Worst part about being Primal:
                      Oh my GOD I miss ice cream....

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Connecticut, USA

Age (If you want):36

How Primal are you: Just starting...

Do you consume dairy: love feta.. grew up with it as a daily staple of my diet in the Balkans

Do you drink coffee or tea: both... can do without coffee though

Motivator for switching to Primal: after reading few blogs, I thought it would be healthier... so I will be my own experiment. Also, would love to complete a tough mudder next year, hoping this will help get me into shape

Favorite exercise: HIIT (Love soccer but my knee hurts, working on diagnosis)

Favorite Primal food: Olive Oil... another staple of my diet

Best part about being Primal: can eat my favorite foods, salads

Worst part about being Primal: no carbs.. again, grew up eating bread like there is no tomorrow

Comment

• Hi! I'm Nikkayla. I've spent years as a chronic dieter and I'm sick and tired of depriving myself of all the many delicious foods out there and fed up with the BS info that conventional outlets/FDA/food corps try to make us believe. My health has taken me on a wild a roller coaster ride this past year and I've come to realize that healthy food is the answer to feeling good. I'm on a journey to optimal health while still making my tastebuds dance. I've been "paleo" for a few years but stumbled upon Mark through Joe Rogan's podcast and fell in love. Been primal for only over a month (noob) and feeling really good so decided to jump into the community. So here it goes

Your location: San Diego

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: 90%

Do you consume dairy: yes! Grass fed primarily, but in moderation.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee & tea. I'm on the "bulletproof" coffee train big time. MCT & collagen proteins are treating me and my brain well.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to find a lifestyle (not diet) that is sustainable and still delicious. I'm ready to feel and look better, and not fall victim to deprivation (like most other diets do).

Favorite exercise: now I'm really loving sprints & long walks with my pup, Disco. Weight have always been a fav but just enjoying moving a lot and not stressing me body out.

Favorite Primal food: hard to say but I just love meat in general, so I have a lot of options.

Best part about being Primal: energy and happy. I realize when stress is approaching. Mental clarity is amazing.

Worst part about being Primal: I travel a lot so eat out at Resturants and stay in airports. Getting really good at finding the right snacks and figuring out what items to avoid at Resturants. I need a carb cheat sheet in my pocket!
                          Last edited by nikkayla; 09-06-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Hey, I'm Elise!

Your location: New Zealand

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: 90/10 atm

Do you consume dairy: Not often, but sometimes I do.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I did, but I seem to get headaches whenever I do now!!

Motivator for switching to Primal: Felt sick, bloated, heavy and riddled with inflammation all the time.

Favorite exercise: Trampoline

Favorite Primal food: Bacon!

Best part about being Primal: Being able to feast on as much (primal) food as I want without feeling guilty!

Worst part about being Primal: Noticing others overstepping the line with their CW beliefs about food

Comment

• First time here

Hi, I have been following the blog for a while bet never got into the forums until now. I believe that surrounding yourself with the right influences is important, and I am ready to read the opinions of nice, healthy people in this forum

Comment

• Intro

Your location: Upstate NY

Age (If you want): 63

How Primal are you: Following Sarah Ballantyne's AIP protocol fairly closely

Do you consume dairy: only butter

Do you drink coffee or tea: only home brewed kombucha

Motivator for switching to Primal: autoimmune condition, pain

Favorite exercise: brisk walking, hiking, 5 lb dumbell, Total Gym

Favorite Primal food: Paleo Chef's Phat Fudge recipe with sunbutter, no cayenne, maca or vanilla

Best part about being Primal: 95% less pain, ability to exercise and build strength

Worst part about being Primal: don't eat out

Comment

Working...
                                X