X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: North of Munich/Bavaria, Germany

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: I am not sure - I do not eat grains, but finding purely grass fed beef is nearly impossible here - there is a farmer around here who feeds no wheat, "only" corn. This Saturday I can get a good share of a calf however, this will be "clean".

Do you consume dairy: YES

Do you drink coffee or tea: YES, coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal:
    I had to face the fact that I have the celiac disease ... but I would never have guessed that, because I was so fat (in spite of the nightly and painful visits to the toilet once or twice per week!!!).
    So I do it mainly for my health, not because I am fond of being a cave girl :-) But I am convinced I am doing the right thing in not only banish the grains that contain gluten - I read most of the articles here on MDA when I started in March 2014.
    (I have two friends who live primal, they put me on this path, one also has the celiac disease.)
    And OF COURSE I am so happy the weight problem gets smaller and smaller and... :-) !!!
    - I would never step onto a scale, but I lost 5 sizes (from 5XL to XL now). So I do not have to order clothing any more, I can walk into most shops and will even find something I can buy.

Favorite exercise:
    CYCLING !!! , nordic walking, swimming (I am still a bit to heavy to run and jump)

Favorite Primal food:
    BBQ ... !

Best part about being Primal:
    That I don┤t have to count calories...!

Worst part about being Primal:
    Haha - my mother-in-law ... "Maybe this strange kind of allergy will disappear again some time?"
    And my children and husband - all Korg. :-)
    Last edited by BavarianCarrot; 07-27-2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

• Your location: Nashville

Age (If you want): 45

How Primal are you: Mostly. I'm still working on getting enough sleep.

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Grass fed cheeses and milk in moderation.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, I'm at 2 cups of coffee in the am, and then green tea throughout the day.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Processed food, sugar and wheat is making me sick and lethargic.

Favorite exercise: hiking and jogging.

Favorite Primal food: I love all veggies, meat and eggs!

Best part about being Primal: Sugar and wheat turned me into a constant eating machine. Primal has helped me gain control of my eating habits.

Worst part about being Primal: Having family members not on board with primal, so I still have tempting SAD foods in the pantry. Also, having to hear unsolicited advice from others about the importance of grains...

Comment

• Your location: London, UK

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: Not much in the meat sense at the moment but also don't eat a whole lot of grain

Do you consume dairy: In ebbs and flows

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee - NO (decaf as a rare treat). Tea: living in the UK and having given up coffee, black tea with a dash of milk has become my new vice

Motivator for switching to Primal: I have not switched by far in my city-life but am curious about nutrition in general.
        Recently I lived 2 months in the woods eating a pure diet with local game animals with all their parts (not just the meat), and all the rest of the diet was primal too (some wild plants we gathered, some fruit, nuts some of which were brought to camp from other countries, as well as some garden vegetables and chicken eggs mostly domestic to the area). No grain, no stimulants, etc. I felt good and shed extra kg's to my optimal weight, which was a surprise to me; as a long term vegetarian I had never consumed so much animal fat in my life This experience has made me very curious and open to a primal eating perspective.

Favorite exercise: Swimming, yoga, natural movement drills are on my repertoire at the moment. I cycle/walk/run to get to places, which doubles up as exercise - in fact I find the best exercise to be something that can also be useful in other ways i.e. is not necessarily only done for the sake of exercising - whether being playful or useful

Favorite Primal food: Anything pure and simple and prepared with love.

Best part about being Primal: As far as my fully-primal experience goes, it was a healthy, simple life, connected to nature, people and the elements, and very un-focussed around food. But my primal experience was combined with a whole social set-up mimicking a primitive camp, so it was totally not about food alone that made the effect.

Worst part about being Primal: Difficulty of being consistent in a city environment, with stressful situations and in places where everything is on offer (sometimes everything else than what your body might need)... Though not primal at the moment, these are still challenges faced while trying to make best food choices possible for this time.

Comment

• Your location: Huntsville, AL

Age (If you want): 47

How Primal are you: 85%

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: To be lean and agile

Favorite exercise: 7 minute workout

Favorite Primal food: Pancakes made from Primal Fuel

Best part about being Primal: Feeling and looking healthy

Worst part about being Primal: Being a picky eater. I have always eaten anything and everything offered me.

Comment

• Your location: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Age (If you want): Turning 33 in less than a month.

How Primal are you: **awkward silence** I have tried primal/paleo before but due to life situations fell off the band wagon.

Do you consume dairy: Limited, a bit of milk here and there, occasional butter and cream.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both at the moment, but hoping to kick the habit and switch to healthier alternatives.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health reasons primarily, would like to lose a bit of weight too.

Favorite exercise: Bellydance, Pilates, Yoga, Walking/Hiking

Favorite Primal food: Steak, coconut oil

Best part about being Primal: Steak :-)

Worst part about being Primal: Explaining to friends, family and strangers on the street why you don't eat certain things.

Comment

• Your location: Norfolk, UK

Age (If you want): 54

How Primal are you: Trying since last September, had some success but finding it difficult to maintain. It would help hugely if my husband got on board.

Do you consume dairy: yes, but thinking I need to try stopping that however worried about limiting food options further.

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes, but mostly decaf

Motivator for switching to Primal: health, weight

Favorite exercise: Pilates when I have time

Favorite Primal food: steak!

Best part about being Primal: haven't got there yet, although I have read lots to convince me it's the right thing to do

Worst part about being Primal: trying to fit it around what everyone else wants to eat and breaking years of habits and wrong information I.e. Re low fat eating

Comment

• Your location: Belgium

Age (If you want): 34 until next month

How Primal are you: started today

Do you consume dairy: only a little bit of milk in my two daily coffees...

Do you drink coffee or tea: both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I am a history teacher and I became intrigued in the theory behind Primal. I had a partialy thero´dectomy, gained a lot of kilos over the years and I felt tired and lazy every day. A few days ago it hit me: I am disabling myself. I am a single mother and I just finished my three years education to become a teacher. I studied and prepared my internships every day. I often worked until midnight or even 1 or 2 am because during the day I had my son to take care off, my household and of course the many classes and internships. I was determined to get my diploma and thanks to hard work, I did. It means I am not lazy. It means I can be motivated to do my very best. But now I will use my motivation to change my life(style). I think Primal is the best choice to achieve that. Last summer I lived Primal for a few weeks but when school started again after the summer holidays, I got overwhelmed by the work I had to do and the pressure, so I gave up the Primal life style, thinking I would start all over after getting my diploma.

Favorite exercise: I enjoy walking and last month, for the first time in years, I went swimming with my son and my mother and loved it!

Favorite Primal food: Eggs. Dieticians always forbade it, I love that I can eat eggs now and NOT throw away the yolk.

Best part about being Primal: The energy you get from living Primal! The connection with nature and our own history.

Worst part about being Primal: Changing old habits when I'm not familiar with my new habits yet. What to cook? What snack to prepare to take with me when I have to leave the house? I still have a lot to learn but it won't stop me.
                Last edited by Aelis; 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Hey there

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Your location: Hooker, OK

Age (If you want): 53

How Primal are you:

Mostly Primal. I avoid grains, legumes or processed foods. I have a difficult time finding grass-fed meats in my area.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but limit consumption to butter and cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, both.

Motivator for switching to Primal:

I began with a low carb weight loss plan. During the course of the diet I learned the benefits of low carb, moderate/high protein for weight loss. After phasing off the diet I found that reintroducing grains and some dairy caused me a lot of digestive problems. My natural healthcare professional identified gluten sensitivity. That lead to research and lots of reading on the principles of primal living.

Favorite exercise:

Bicycling and walking.

Favorite Primal food:

Lobster and lamb chops.

Best part about being Primal:

Feeling great and being healthy!

Worst part about being Primal:

Having to tell waiters that I don't want rolls with dinner and chocolate cake for dessert.

Comment

• Your location: Spain

Age (If you want): Early twenties

How Primal are you: Trying

Do you consume dairy: I'm stopping it, now I only drink goat's kefir once in a while

Do you drink coffee or tea: From time to time, not on daily basis

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health

Favorite exercise: Weightlifting

Favorite Primal food: I guess lamb

Best part about being Primal: Health benefits

Worst part about being Primal: Thanks to it i discovered i cannot eat daily.

Comment

• Hey All:-) This is my first day going Primal. With me luck:-)

Comment

• Your location: Romania

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: following the 80/20 rule

Do you consume dairy: no

Do you drink coffee or tea: occasionally

Motivator for switching to Primal: health and feeling great in every conceivable way

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: eggs

Best part about being Primal: eating what i love and never feel hungry

Worst part about being Primal: having to spend more time in the kitchen

Comment

• Your location: Glendale, Az - USA

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: 80/20 , 3 weeks and counting.

Do you consume dairy: yes, in moderation

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: After exercising without decent results, I searched for an explanation. That search led me to Marks site and Ive been digging in ever since.

Favorite exercise: Body weight exercises

Favorite Primal food: Grass-fed ribeye, medium rare

Best part about being Primal: Results!

Worst part about being Primal: Dishes!

Comment

• Your location: im Marie and in Seattle

Age (If you want):about to turn 60

How Primal are you: I am 100 percent except im a dairy eater, dosnt bother me, and, not always organic cause im on a budget.

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: either or

Motivator for switching to Primal: Diabetic and weight loss, absolutely no energy.

Favorite exercise: I like to "do' to exercise....I move when I camp, yard work, housework" To be honest, I was so weak when I started Primal 4 months ago this last week was the 1st time going up the stairs didnt make my thighs ache. Trying to decide what form of exercise to get going on. I loved Zumba maybe Ill resume that. Just happy I can even start to think about it!

Favorite Primal food: I love a good apple and some cheese , I love any kind of meat!

Best part about being Primal: Energy! Slowly losing weight,(20 lbs) blood sugars normal. First time I dont have to think about eating as a diet, it feels like a life style. Im satisfied, and have no desire to eat "crap". In fact, I forget to eat sometimes and all of sudden get shaky. I gotta watch that.

Worst part about being Primal: Being totally alone in the way I eat in my circle of friends. Just teaching by example and I dont preach. My son is coming on board though, he has stopped eating sugar and switched to honey! Its a start!
                              Last edited by frufrugirl; 08-27-2015, 09:10 PM. Reason: tired.

Comment

• Greetings from Big Sur, California!

My answer to How Primal are you? is to say that I find it hilarious (and wonderful too, no doubt) that healthy natural living has finally become "popular". I thank MarkS and the other beautiful, smart, articulate, rational writers, researchers and thinkers who have brought this miracle about.

Started Keto, actually, not Paleo, to lose six pounds which suddenly appeared; very unusual for me. The mofos would not come off, no matter what. This lead to the discovery of adrenal and thyroid disfunction, as happens often with my gender/age group, so I made some adjustments to the food because of that and found a match with the ancestral diets; the lifestyle matched my lifestyle pretty much already. This after 33 years as a vegetarian (of many varieties over those decades) and then 10 years or so with fish and birds added. Wait, I must have exaggerated a number bc I'm younger than I've made myself out to be. So, maybe six years with animal flesh added, not 10.

Don't yell at me but I still don't eat mammals. Probably never will. In a truly primal situation it could happen. I'd have to chose, perhaps, between mammals and bugs. I don't know what I'd do then; but I don't have to make that decision! Hurray for the plethora of amazing nourishment abounding in my neighborhood.

Often a purist, I no longer feed according to idealism, like with the vegism; I feed, as closely as I can, according to biology. I absolutely love raw dairy and have no problem with it. I feel lucky and grateful for that.

Best thing so far: I've been a sweet-fiend as long as I can remember, as many vegheads are; cutting sugar and grains instantly cured me of that 100%. It's a great relief.

I'm looking for evidence, if there is any, that dietary carbohydrates, especially refined, mask adrenal and/or thyroid disfunction, so if you find anything along that line, I'd love the hear about it. I'm working on a book for women and the tweaks and considerations required when refining the food and lifestyle.

Furthermore, on another matter, I have a suspicion that people, especially women, are often doped with antidepressants and/or anti-anxiety medications (without adequate testing) instead of being thoroughly tested for nutritional deficiencies, endocrine deficiencies, including thyroid, metabolic, and adrenal problems. This is merely an unfounded hypothesis for which I have not a shred of evidence. If you find any evidence toward proving or disproving this notion, please post it or send it to me. Is there a way to do that? Can we send stuff to each other off-forum but still within the software?

Thanks for reading. See you around!

bunny
                                Last edited by DarlingDearie; 08-30-2015, 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X