Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone. I was here a while ago (2013?), had a false start, but I'm back kicking the Paleo can. I have a host of health problems, but my main goal, like many people, is weight loss.

Your location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Age (If you want): 45

How Primal are you: for the moment, about 95%, but we'll see how that goes.

Do you consume dairy: Not right now, we'll see how my stomach tolerates a tiny bit after 30 days. Definitely reactive pre-Paleo.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee. NOW.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Primary goals are weight loss, and solving my digestion issues. I should probably be paid as a toilet-seat tester.

Favorite exercise: Cycling. I have done a bit of jogging, and I'm hoping with weight loss I'll be able to enjoy it more.

Favorite Primal food: Meat in general!

Best part about being Primal: The bloat in my gut has already gone down. Also meat!

Worst part about being Primal: I'm an excellent baker, and I miss eating what I make.

Comment

• Your location: Between San Antonio and Austin, Texas

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: Mostly primal? I just try to eat food that has been minimally f*#@!ed with. If I had to guess, I'd say about 85% primal/paleo

Do you consume dairy: Yes. I eat a little cheese, butter, and yogurt. I add a splash of milk to my coffee in the morning, but otherwise do not like to drink it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. Lately I've been drinking more water than tea and coffee, but I don't think either of these are a problem in small amounts.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's disease). Research and advice from friends led me to here.

Favorite exercise: I don't do any specific "exercises". I mostly just do work on my property and my "mini farm", (animal care, carpentry projects, hauling rocks, etc)

Favorite Primal food: Brussels sprouts!

Best part about being Primal: I am no longer constantly hungry. Since starting thyroid meds, getting some vitamin supplements started, and ditching crap food, I've lost 17 lbs in 3 months. My skin has cleared up. I sleep well, and my knees no longer hurt. I still have a lot of weight loss to go, and I expect it will probably take me a year to lose it all. For the first time, I'm ok with that. After feeling so sick for so long, I'm just thankful to feel well again, and am not willing to put myself through stress to lose weight.

Worst part about being Primal: Invitations to have dinner with friends and family are sometimes complicated, because they eat very differently. And I've become super-judgy about other people's food choices, (but I keep it to myself).

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: Tomorrow will be my first day. It been a vegetarian for many years- getting heavier and feeling worse.

Do you consume dairy: Yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both- black coffee and Earl Grey tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I feel fat, sick, and nearly dead. My hair has thinned, I look like an apple, I feel lethargic, have a lot of carb cravings, and I co tinted to read success story after success story of people who embraced primal living- not just the weight loss...but the increased quality of health, well being, and energy. I am hoping I will find similar results.

Favorite exercise: Pilates, downhill skiing, elliptical, horseback riding, biking, and rollerblading.

Favorite Primal food: I'm not sure yet. However, I live in Alaska...and so I'm imagining it will be salmon or halibut.

Best part about being Primal: ??

Worst part about being Primal: eating nimals. I know for most people it's a
        no brainer...but for me it's a very difficult ethical transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Hi Everyone, looking for help from a primal friend I'm new to this and I think I've done the math right. But was hoping to get a double check

The Questions:

Your location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Age (If you want): 32 (almost 33)

How Primal are you: Totally new.

Do you consume dairy: Finishing off almond milk (can't waste money) and switching to coconut milk (I use it once a day for protein shakes)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Only when I crave it. I don't seem to need it, but sometimes I crave the taste. Usually once every few months.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I have hashimoto's and my doc figured it would help to get rid of carbs.

Favorite exercise: Weight Lifting

Favorite Primal food: Any meat, Eggs

Best part about being Primal: Hopefully feeling better. Just looks like a cleaner eating list.

Worst part about being Primal: The math. I did the work and now feel so confused.

Thanks All,

Comment

• Hi there
            Looking forward to meeting some like minded people, finding food inspiration and tips from those people who have been able to integrate positive and prolonged change in their lives

Your location: West London

Age 33

How Primal are you: been trying to make positive choices over the last 6weeks after reading TPB

Do you consume dairy: yes-milk, Greek yoghurt, cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes but has to be with milk and a big sugar...bought stevia but it's just not the same!!

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weightloss after second baby but want to do it properly and don't mind if it takes time (so long as I can shift it!) my children- being a positive role model too in terms of diet/exercise and lifestyle

Favorite exercise: Dancing/jogging

Favorite Primal food: Greek yoghurt, pear and sunflower seeds (little bit of honey...?)

Best part about being Primal: No reliance on a processed diet

Worst part about being Primal: other people's perceptions about you
            Thanks for reading
            Gem

Comment

• Hello Everyone,
              I'm looking forward to beginning my Primal experience starting 6/3/2015. The main motivation is my partner's health - so we'll be in this together.

To answer the questions:
              Yes I consume dairy (not tons) and coffee.
              My favorite exercise is tennis, but I'm very active and also do yoga daily.
              I live in West Lafayette, Indiana which gives me access to lots of farm raised meat and veggies.
              Favorite primal food: nuts
              Best part about being primal: elimination of fast food and cleaner, healthier food choices.
              Worst part about being primal: Time, expense and effort involved in getting started. I'm sure it will get easier with practice.

Comment

• Hi everyone

I've just found this site and forum.

I'm a 54 year old woman living in the UK. I've been following a Primal diet now for over a month without even knowing it
                I started doing a kind of Paleo plus dairy as a final attempt to overcome my dreadful cravings for sugar and carbs. I'd lived like that for the whole of my life, battling with weight and going up and down like a yoyo.

It's amazing to have found that, though I still have very mild cravings for a dessert ( fulfilled by some stewed rhubarb and full-fat yog! No sugar needed! Amazing!!!) most of my cravings have gone. I've lost a few pounds and am so happy this is an easy lifestyle not a 'slimming diet'.

I used to be stressed going out to eat as I was craving the food so much especially the pudding, wanting it to be really BIG. Now I'm a changed person and really don't mind about having a coffee or some cheese instead of something sweet.

It's great to have found a name for my self-styled eating regime - primal - and looking forward to getting some meal ideas as I'm not very inventive.

JJulless

Comment

• Hi there,

I've been lurking about for a couple of weeks and have decided to come out of the shadows.

Here's my quick bio...

I'm 41, 5'11" 171lbs and I live in Oklahoma. In February of 2015 I weighed 215lbs. I've been fit most of my life, novice body-builder, weight-lifter in general. However, in 2009 my first child was born and I completely fell out of the habit of exercising. I also was apparently eating like crap since I ballooned up to 215lbs.

Feb 1 I started using the LoseIt app to track my calories and boy was I shocked. I had no idea how much I was actually consuming. Just managing my calories and beginning some body-weight exercises at home I was able to drop weight down to 180 (35lbs lost) in just about 3 months. 180lbs was my goal weight so I was just about ready to settle into maintenance mode, but I still felt a little too fatty around the middle. I was reading some random (and probably inaccurate) nutrition article on Yahoo Health and through some miraculous series of clicks I landed at MDA. As I began reading the PB 101 info, I was blown away. A great deal of it rang true with me instantly as they were things I was already doing, just instinctively.

The anti-grains thing was new to me, but I did my research and decided to try it. That was about 6 weeks ago. I've dropped nearly another 10lbs (pure fat) and I'm hovering around the 171 mark. I've been hitting the weights pretty heavy and I love my HIIT (I was doing this before I even found MDA, especially love Tabata drills). No longer focused on losing weight, or even counting calories or macros anymore. I've got my diet pretty well dialed in. Just experimenting with IF and 18/6 now.

I now feel more fit, healthy and just generally better than I ever have in my adult life. I have a wife and two kids and they are slowly beginning to get on-board with the PB lifestyle. It's toughest with the kids, I hate telling my 6 year old daughter that she can't have cereal or oatmeal when those have been her favorite things her whole life. But, we're trying to have only healthy (primal) choices in the house to help urge them in that direction.

So that's me, or at least parts of me. If you want to know more, just hit me up. I'll be around.

Jason

Comment

• Guess I'll answer the questions now...way to fail on my first post. Doh!

Your location: Southern Oklahoma

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: ~80% (I don't exactly follow the PB Fitness plan. I want to add as much lean muscle as possible while I still can)

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Mostly aged cheeses and cottage cheese daily.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both.

Motivator for switching to Primal: It all struck a chord in my soul. Just felt like home.

Favorite exercise: HIIT - Tabata with Burpees and Mountain Climbers

Favorite Primal food: Almond Butter - yum!

Best part about being Primal: Noticeable health benefits from cutting out the grains. Less inflammation, allergies disappeared...etc.

Worst part about being Primal: Telling friends and family about it and watching them roll their eyes. It makes me sad for them.

Comment

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: I'm in my first two weeks, so I'm not sure yet. Still kind of learning the lifestyle. I think 80/20 may work for me though

Do you consume dairy: Yes. But have been limiting it more with this diet. Still add 1/2&1/2 to coffee and a few other things.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I mostly drink coffee. I'm finding without the added sugar it is disappointing, so I'm thinking about giving it up all together.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I set a goal to lose ten pounds by the time we go on vacation and my friend told me about Primal. So I decided to try it since I have some stomach issues.

Favorite exercise: I actually have just been walking on my lunch break and I walk the dogs. I'd like to include sprinting soon.

Favorite Primal food: I'm a veggie lover-so probably just grilled veggies.

Best part about being Primal: I agree the the person who wrote this-> "Noticeable health benefits from cutting out the grains. Less inflammation, allergies disappeared...etc." My symptoms disappeared in about 48 hours.

Worst part about being primal: Still changing my mindset about balanced diets and I miss sugar-like in my coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Hey All, Nicki here...

Your location:
                        Atlanta, GA

Age (If you want):

How Primal are you:
                        Not primal AT ALL at the moment, I've used the basic principles on and off over the last few years. Currently, you'd consider me a train wreck, I eat what I want, when I want and consume most of my daily calories in vodka. I started smoking 2 years ago, I stopped last month. Also, I started drinking 18 months ago (never drank before) and I need to cut that crap out too.

Do you consume dairy:
                        a little cream in my coffee, pizza and yogurt.

Do you drink coffee or tea:
                        I LOVE me some coffee! Tea is a good alternative to water for me, I hate water. I know, I have issues.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
                        I want to know what a life without pain and discomfort feels like. I am tired of feeling like shit and I've seen EVERY doctor imaginable. I have been overweight since I was 8 and my weight has by far been my biggest obsession in my life. When I was 21, I topped out at 256 pounds, I was miserable and hated myself. Over the next 6 years, I had 3 kids, worked my ass of and lost 100 pounds. After losing the weight I realized I still felt terrible, I became pretty depressed when I came to this realization. I had a hysterectomy as a last ditch attempt to curb my endometriosis and IBS, after that didn't work, I just started drinking and smoking. I figured, screw it. Now, after poisoning my body for the last 2 years, I am pretty much back where I started but not as self destructive. I have degenerative disc disease, arthritis, endometriosis, fatty liver, IBS, migraines, fatigue, hormonal imbalances, generally shitty. Long story short, I am too damn young to feel this damn old.

Favorite exercise:
                        Lifting heavy weights, wrestling

Favorite Primal food:
                        Anything with meat made in the slow cooker!

Best Part about being Primal:
                        Not feeling like a zombie

Worst part about being Primal:
                        Planning and not being a lazy ass

So...There ya go! I am the Hot Mess Express!

Comment

• Your location: Nagoya, Japan

Age (If you want): 33 (for the next 2 weeks)

How Primal are you: ~50% (working my way up)

Do you consume dairy: Yes. More in the fall and winter and less in the summer.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Mostly coffee. Love the egg coffee from this site (especially iced)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Long story short - I have problems with disordered eating. Primal is balanced enough that I think I can do it without falling into old traps. I like the whole life approach.

Favorite exercise: Hiking!

Favorite Primal food: Berries

Best part about being Primal: Playing

Worst part about being Primal: I HATE PACKING A LUNCH!!!!

Comment

• Hi ya!

I've re-joined the forums under a new name, because I am throwing off the failures of the past and starting my journey fresh. I am returning to a primal lifestyle after a couple years of not fully applying it. My name is Amy, I just turned 30 and I'm ready to really make this my lifestyle, not just a weight loss diet or anything - but a holistic way to live my life.

Your location: Colorado (duh)

How Primal are you: pretty primal - I'd say 80-20, working towards 90-10

Do you consume dairy: some - mostly yogurt, butter, cream and cheese, rarely full fat organic milk

Do you drink coffee or tea: some - usually 1 cup a day with cream and a little bit of honey or sugar

Motivator for switching to Primal: Coming back after success with the plan previously, but falling off the wagon. Starting fresh and hoping to improve my overall health - achieve my fitness goals, improve my IBS symptoms, sleep better, ditch my seasonal allergies, have more energy, and maybe lose some weight too.

Favorite exercise: Hiking and weight lifting

Favorite Primal food: Organic pastured butter, berries of all kinds, shrimp, bacon

Best part about being Primal: Feeling satisfied instead of hungry, feeding my body right

Worst part about being Primal: Harder to find food on the go (especially since I live in a rural area where there are really not any primal friendly fast-food options like Chiptole)

If you want to follow my Instagram where I log my food and fitness I'm @modernishlife, my blog is nothanksimpaleo.blogspot.com

Comment

• [QUOTE=Anonymous;280]In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.
                              You dont have to be great to start - but you have to start to be great!

The Questions:

Your location: Baltimore, Maryland

Age (If you want): 64

How Primal are you: primarily primal

Do you consume dairy: now and then

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: curiosity

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: lamb

Best part about being Primal: when i speak people listen
                              Last edited by kaygee809; 06-09-2015, 04:29 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

• Your location: UK

Age (If you want):

How Primal are you: Pretty darn primal

Do you consume dairy: yes but only raw dairy with exception to cultured full fat yoghurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: none

Motivator for switching to Primal: Cavity almost two years ago, through journey of awareness my instinct had grown and told me to seek other methods of repair other than the dentist, this sparked a journey that improved my overall health and being.

Favorite exercise: Working on the land, I.e. Collecting and chopping firewood for cooking, and any other activities from living alongside nature.

Favorite Primal food: Pork belly roasted with a veg stirfry in its juices.

Best part about being Primal: Every aspect of being that is improved upon diet change and tuning in with my body and living at one with instincts and nature.

Worst part about being Primal: NOTHING!

Sent from my C6603 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                                X