Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm Terri and new to this. No tsure how to even work it. I just read Fiber Menace. I have type 2 diabetes and carbs of any kind raise my blood sugar. Also have been a laxative abuser since I was child. Became 100% vegan in 2011, thinking it would cure both my constipation issues and my diabetes. Sugars continued to rise after the first year - and my linen closet and medicine cabinet attest to the fact that my constipation got only worse on the fiber-only diet. I currently have 1000 stool softener pills, 1000 magnesium pills, 3 bottles of Dr. Schulze's intestinal formula, 3 bottles of vegan colon cleanse, 1000 tablets of senna, 3 bottles of mineral oil...that's just to name a few. I had to disimpact myself on Saturday (I know, TMI). I came across Fiber Menace by accident and ordered it immediately and read it in one sitting. My still-veg
    an husband thinks I'm nuts. I'm going to need a LOT of help from all of you. I bought my M.O.M. today and had my cucumber before lunch as directed in the book. Please help me in any way you can.
    Last edited by terrilee317; 03-02-2015, 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Your location: Minnesota

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: 80% but still learning

Do you consume dairy:no

Do you drink coffee or tea:tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: health

Favorite exercise: yoga

Favorite Primal food: almonds

Best part about being Primal: feeling better

Worst part about being Primal: cost and going out to restraurants

Comment

• Your location: SC, USA

Age (If you want): 37

How Primal are you: maybe 40%

Do you consume dairy: very little

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee every morning, hot tea every night

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to better my health and eating habits and lose weight

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: fish

Best part about being Primal: I think I am going to see a considerable improvement in my energy level and hopefully lose weight

Worst part about being Primal: not sure yet!

Comment

• Your location: Northeast Nebraska, USA

Age (If you want): 60

How Primal are you: I have been trying gluten free for a couple of years, but this week I have gone completely primal. 6 days already!

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: My health. I struggle with IBS and just today I am wondering if my life of sinus infections has also been induced by grains

Favorite exercise: Walking my Golden Retriever

Favorite Primal food: Cooked vegetables

Best part about being Primal: No counting calories or points. Plus grocery shopping is much easier

Worst part about being Primal: In my small rural town, there are few eating out options

Comment

• Your location: Centennial, Colorado

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: not often

Do you consume dairy: yup

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: water

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: chicken

Best part about being Primal: enjoy eating

Worst part about being Primal: if there's no food

Comment

• Hi I'm Geoff, 62, retired, and I live in the north of England.
              I'm becoming more primal every day because I'm on the learning curve.
              My daily dairy is down to 300ml of full fat milk and I eat a small portion of fresh fruit - strawberries & raspberries each day.
              So in total I'm under 50gms of Carbohydrate each day.
              I drink leaf tea of many brands & descriptions and the milk is included in my 300ml
              I'm a type 2 diabetic and severe ischaemic stroke survivor - so my motivation is clear.
              In the past 2 years I've completely weaned myself off Insulin and halved all my other medication (now just maintenance levels)
              Abdominal crunches, boxing (punchbag), weights (modest 10kg) cycling by the coast
              All types of seafood and shellfish - particularly oysters, mussels mackerel and trout (calamares as a real treat)
              Blood Glucose is always low and so are stress levels because the only concern in the world was having another stroke
              To any thinking man, there is no down side, because I remember how good life was when my grandparents were alive.
              Last edited by Geoff L; 03-10-2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• Hi, I'm David, originally from Sale in the North West of England but spent most of my adult life in Bonny Scotland (see Mountain biking below).

Your location: Muscat Oman

Age (If you want): Almost 59

How Primal are you: Only heard of Primal (by accident) 7 days ago, so just starting.

Do you consume dairy: no milk but do like cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: 2 cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea a day.

Motivator for switching to Primal: It started off with just wanting to lose some weight but since I've been reading MDA for a few days I realise I've stumbled into a whole new world, and wow! I don't have anyof the horrible problems that some are suffering with, but it will be interesting to see what unexpected changes I experience.

Favorite exercise: Mountain biking. In Scotland some of the best riding was on my doorstep, but since moving to the Middle East my riding has fallen right back, hence weight gain. I'm now going back to the gym and doing some exercise classes with my wife.

Favorite Primal food: I love all meat, especially slow cooked roasts. I always loved chewing on the bones, much to the dismay of some dinner guests. I love fish veggies and salad, so this is going to be ok, but let's see.

Best part about being Primal: Knowing it's satisfying and healthy, and the weight loss has started already.

Worst part about being Primal: Erm, I'm a Brit, beer of course!

Comment

• Hi!

I'm Ben. I'm 29, and new to the forum, although I'm not new to the PB concept. I remember the days when MDA told us all to eat oatmeal I've been involved in weightlifting (olympic style) and CF since 2007. I am also in the military (11B). I hope to meet some like minded people!

Comment

• Hello, one and all! I am not a true newbie, in that I was eating/living the primal life about 6 years ago, and was successful in dropping better than 30 lbs. But, as so often happens, life got in the way...divorce, a lot of ugly stuff, and the carb consumption returned. Not as bad as before Primal, but enough that I gained 20+ lbs back. I am a menopausal 54 y.o. woman, and wish to get back to my healthy self. I have no health issues that require meds, and have been blessed with general good health. My eldest son and I have started on paleo/primal (he for the first time - thank goodness - he's 300+ lbs and needs this), which helps in the meal planning, shopping and cooking.

Your location: Northwest CT, USA

Age (If you want): 54

How Primal are you: ....am trying to keep my carbs below 60 g per day, while my son is trying to get into ketosis as often as possible, so keeps it below 20. Neither of us is losing weight quickly, however, but we aren't gaining, either.

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea- I make iced green tea, sweetened with stevia, with mint and lime. also, hot herbal teas

Motivator for switching to Primal: It has worked before

Favorite exercise: .....ummmm....that's a tough one...Went from an active homesteader lifestyle (huge garden, heated with wood, push mower, hauling bags of feed, etc) to living in an apartment in town....not much exercising happening in the past year.

Favorite Primal food: Pork bellies, chicken liver pate on celery, meat....

Best part about being Primal: Well, was hoping to be able to say "The weight comes off so easily and quickly"....but not sure if it is due to my age, menopause, or ? , but not this time around. Best part? I am sleeping better than I have in the past several years.

Worst part about being Primal: I miss my homemade bread and pizza....sorry, folks, but just being honest. I have been off breads for the past 2 months since I started primal, other than some low carb flatbreads.

Comment

• Your location: California

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: Very! All of our meat and eggs are single source and naturally raised. We eat every part of the animals that our butcher lets us take home. Our produce comes from an organic CSA (and we eat it unwashed). We render our own lard and tallow, make bone-broth soup, and use only Himalayan or Celtic sea salt. We do not eat enough dairy to justify the available local milk share, though the plan is to one day join in and make all of our butter, cheese, and yogurt from scratch. For now, our dairy is store-bought but ALWAYS grass-fed and organic and/or raw when available. Our exceptions: we eat out 2-3 times a week (so the meat is factory-farmed), sometimes we go for pho or gluten free pizza (so we have some white rice occasionally), and sometimes we eat white potatoes at home (no skin). We avoid "vegetable" oils and sweets. We do eat some dark chocolate and drink wine or cider because everyone has to have a life, right? It's taken us over 3 years to get to this point. Future goal: include more fermented food.

Do you consume dairy: Yes (see above).

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes and yes. I limit coffee to one 12oz or 16oz mug a day, and it is usually bulletproof. My husband is Taiwanese, so tea is definitely in our lives (green tea, obviously).

Motivator for switching to Primal: Our former trainer yelled at us one day for trying to work out while fasting (we insisted that it was healthy, right along with the veggie burgers we ate a few days prior). After a couple of months of seeing good, but not great, results with our work outs, we decided to try his eating suggestions. He focused on low glycemic index. The exact day we decided to try his suggestions, our friend asked our favorite restaurant for their "paleo" menu. Upon further inquiry, I learned that it was so close to our trainer's suggestion that I too ordered off the special menu. Read some books, tried it out, became hooked mentally and physically.

Favorite exercise: Hiking and Ashtanga Yoga

Favorite Primal food: Bone broth soup, bulletproof coffee, fat bombs, egg salad with homemade mayo.

Best part about being Primal: The health benefits!

Worst part about being Primal: Dealing with the unintentional ignorance of people who are a product of the health lies and propaganda from that past century. Also, the occasional accidental glutening.

Comment

• Hi, everyone! I am new to the forum. I decided to really take on the primal lifestyle recently after reading about it and dabbling with primal eating for the past couple of years. So here's my introduction and answers to the intro questions:

Location: northern Utah (just moved here from SW Colorado a week ago!)

How Primal are you: not very. I have dabbled in Primal eating for the past few years, and notice a significant difference in how I feel after just a few days of eating mostly primal. But I haven't stuck with it. Now that the move is out of the way (still unpacking, but the kitchen is ready for meal preparation), I want to commit to primal

Do you eat dairy: Yes. I love cheese and yogurt and of course, BUTTER! However, I am going to cut out dairy for a while due to some health issues until I can get those resolved

Coffee or tea: Yes. Both. Coffee in the morning, and herbal or green tea the rest of the day.

Motivator for going Primal: First motivator is weight gain. I am a fairly small person, but have gained about 20 lbs over the past 2-3 years, in spite of being fairly active. It is all around my middle. UGH! Second is severe IBS. I've dealt with what I used to call "stress stomach" since I was in my teens. I get bloated - so bloated I look like i'm pregnant - and have pain, diarrhea, gas, and all that fun stuff. It can last a few hours or days. I just had an episode yesterday - I drank a smoothie (with some fruit, which I suspect is a trigger) then went for an easy hike. By the end of the hour long hike, I was so bloated I looked pregnant and in terrible pain. It gets in the way of being able to exercise or enjoy much of anything. It's awful. I also get sick A LOT. If I'm not suffering from an episode of IBS, I get frequent respiratory illnesses.
                        Then there are the alcohol and carb cravings, usually in conjunction with PMS. And the acne. I suspect it's rosacea. I had perfectly clear skin my whole life, even as a teen! Then, about 3 years ago, I started having occasional breakouts on my cheeks. Now it's my cheeks and forehead. And I flush sometimes, especially when consuming alcohol (beer is the worst). This makes me think that I have a problem with gluten (even though the blood tests done a few months ago didn't indicate gluten intolerance). The rash/acne/rosacea/whatever is really bad right now. Between that and the weight gain and bloating, I don't want to go anywhere. I don't want to live like this. And the place where I just moved has fantastic trails so I don't want to be held back by annoying and debilitating digestive issues!
                        In short, my motivators are weight gain (mostly around the middle), severe IBS (maybe leaky gut/SIBO), frequent illness, and rosacea

Favorite exercise: when I can exercise, I love to run. Problem is, I keep having these episodes of digestive distress that mean no exercise for a week or more at a time. Then I'm starting all over again when I can get back to it. I also love hiking, weight training, yoga, and want to get more into cycling. I've done a half century ride, last year did a half marathon, and would like to be able to do both again with better times.

Favorite Primal food: Steak. With butter, veggies and sauteed mushrooms. YUM! Oh, and bacon

I don't have answers for best/worst parts of being Primal because I haven't jumped in.

Today, (which is Pi day, btw) I am starting a primal journey. I hope to get support and wisdom from this forum.

To a healthier life

Rebecca

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location:
                          Seal Beach, California
                          Age (If you want):
                          How Primal are you:
                          Just getting started, but pretty primal
                          Do you consume dairy:
                          Cheese
                          Do you drink coffee or tea:
                          Coffee is a food group. Mokka stove top espresso.
                          Motivator for switching to Primal:
                          Morbidly obese. I've lost over 100 lbs on just limiting quantities, but now the weight loss has stalled

Favorite exercise:
                          None. Dislike them all equally
                          Favorite Primal food:
                          Bison burger, "protein style" wrapped in lettuce with Bubbies kosher dills and sauerkraut and a little red onion
                          Best part about being Primal:
                          Simple. Not easy, but simple

Worst part about being Primal: ketosis breath
                          Last edited by JIMinSealBeach; 03-15-2015, 08:13 AM. Reason: Typos & Damn AutoCorrect!

Comment

• Hi I completed the primal 21 day challenge in January and have not felt better.
                            Have lost 18kgs so far and have more energy than I've had for along time. Still have a way to go but it has truly changed my life. Apart for a knee injury that has slowed me up the last few week I still do some sort of exercise daily.
                            Looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts and journeys

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Newbie from the keto/low carb world

I came here via ketogenic diet, which I am still on (in spite of no weight loss due to thyroid I think)

Your location: SE WA state

Age (If you want):15 going on 60

How Primal are you: don't know - I eat keto without any sweeteners (artificial or real), grains, soy, etc.

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: occasional (helps with workouts - if the Olympics banned it, it's good enough for me)

Motivator for switching to Primal: health/fitness/weight

Favorite exercise: bicycling

Favorite Primal food: heavy cream with unsweetened bakers chocolate (not very primal I'm thinking)

Best part about being Primal: feeling stronger with more endurance (no crashes)

Worst part about being Primal: the food (toughest thing I've ever done so I guess I really needed it)

Comment

• Dallas, TX
                                Just beginning
                                Very little dairy
                                Gotta have my AM coffee. 2 cups max
                                Got tired of my spare tire and feeling older than my years
                                Hiking
                                Steak
                                No pizza

Comment

Working...
                                X