This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
    In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:

Your location:Morton, Illinois

Age (If you want):40 (yikes)

How Primal are you: New . . . and trying. I'm trying to cut out all grains except for splurges when it really counts!

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea for me!

Motivator for switching to Primal:Trying to eliminate inflammation in my body, and loose a few lbs.

Favorite exerciseancing

Favorite Primal food:Nuts

Best part about being Primal:I feel better, for sure. . . and since carbs are what I tend to loose control of while eating, I'm finding that just eliminating them all together has been easier for me than trying for only eat an appropriate serving.

Worst part about being Primal:
    No carbs ; )

Comment

• John Caton Says Hello

Hello. I'm John Caton. This is my first post to the forum. I've left some comments on the daily postings but I'm looking forward to sharing and learning more of the primal lifestyle from those who've been on the path longer.

I also have a blog that I invite others to visit and share their comments as well. It is at Primal Ways | Old Paths … New Journeys

Regarding the questions for newcomers:

The Questions:

Your location: Dallas/Ft Worth area

Age (If you want): 68

How Primal are you: 80%+

Do you consume dairy: Pastured heavy cream, full fat yogurt and raw cheeses.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Reduction of inflammation. Weight loss.

Favorite exercise: Walking

Favorite Primal food: Oysters, salmon, pastured beef

Best part about being Primal: I feel good

Worst part about being Primal: Resisting temptations, especially bread.
      Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
      Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

• Your location: Boston, MA

Age (If you want): 22

How Primal are you: Only grain I eat is rice. I'm a diagnosed Celiac so I already avoided gluten containing grains for 10+ years but have extended that to all grains (except for rice at this point.) No soy, corn, dairy, etc.

Do you consume dairy: NO

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Autoimmunity, long term health

Favorite exercise: Horseback riding, rock climbing, CF

Favorite Primal food: Bison burger, BACON (from meat share), avocado, oven baked sweet potato "fries"….

Best part about being Primal: Feeling good!

Worst part about being Primal: Tends to be less convenient when you're on the go….

Comment

• Your location: Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth area)

Age (If you want): 40

How Primal are you: WAS very primal----then in April found out we were relocating from IL to TX and had very little time to pack/move and all that and I gained 13 pounds very quickly.

Do you consume dairy: Very little dairy. The only dairy is in a tea latte that I will have to be giving up!! Otherwise I don't eat or drink any dairy.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Not switching---going back! My motivator is I know exactly how good it feels to be primal and how well my body does eating primal. I have many ailments that have reared their ugly heads in the last 6 months. IBS, fructose malabsorption…to name 2!

Favorite exercise: currently it's walking my dog. I've gone to a trampoline fitness class the last 2 mondays and it's super fun! Otherwise, I walk my dog every morning. Would like to incorporate weights which has always been hard for me.

Favorite Primal food: cod cooked with lemon and butter served over fresh baby spinach. And, bacon. Love bacon!!!

Best part about being Primal: How good it feels!!

Worst part about being Primal: The starting point----the carb flu and how bad the detoxing from all the crap feels.

Comment

How primal are you: transitioning from vegetarian diet for last 8 years, cleaning out frozen soups, etc. currently, 50%. I just can't fathom throwing all that food out.
            Do you eat dairy: yes, trailing full fat Greek yogurt this week. Milk, cheese and butter just added back into my diet on a regular basis.
            Coffee or tea: tea
            Motivating factor: 1. Tried of feeling like I need the energy for chronic cardio to maintain my ideal weight. 2. Hoping to avoid the cravings for carbs after work and before dinner sabotaging my day and energy levels. 3. Long standing iron deficiency that I would like to control with diet, not supplements.
            Favorite exercise: swimming and biking. Primal style lifting is growing on me.
            Favorite primal food: brussel sprouts
            Best part about being primal: hopefully energy plateau and more focus in enjoyment exercise rather than "workouts"
            Worst part: reducing beans and lentils (we've had a long time relationship)

Comment

• Name: Becky

Your location: Central IL

Age (If you want): 38

How Primal are you: Newbie level, maybe 50%

Do you consume dairy: Some, will be trying to cut it the rest of the way out

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Medication related weight gain, improved athletic performance

Favorite exercise: Running, it is so flexible

Favorite Primal food: fruits

Best part about being Primal: confidence that some random chemical isn't going into my body doing who-knows-what

Worst part about being Primal: Getting into the groove with a busy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

How Primal am I: I am on day 4 of the 21 day transformation. Already down 2 lbs....you now have my attention.

Dairy? Not everyday but occasionally only greek yogurt or some aged cheese

Coffee or tea? Have my one cup of coffee in the morning. Herbal teas are a bit of a hobby but must have my green tea and my fennel tea.

Motivator for switching to primal - two motivators...sick and tired of counting every calorie and exercising to no avail. The biggest motivator are my sons. They are 3'and 4 and the youngest is being tested for celiac.....if I'm looking for a major dietary change for him then we are all on board.

Favourite exercise: HIIT workouts and functional strength training.

Favourite primal food? : BEEF!

Best part about being primal: so far no highs and lows and am already able to feel like I am more in touch with my appetite/hunger cues.

Worst part about being primal? Right now I see no downside! My husband is chinese so dining out with his family for dim sum or dinner may be a challenge. I am italian so my family may see my plate void of pasta but always meat and veggies around.

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

How Primal am I: I did primal once before and it worked for me but got off track, Beginning the 21 day challenge

Dairy? Use almond milk for coffee and cereal (granola)

Coffee or tea? Drink both - but more coffee. At least a cup a day (with almond milk and flavored syrup)

Motivator for switching to primal - Want to lose weight and get in better shape

Favorite exercise: It was running but have a ankle injury that won't go away. Been using a trainer bike and looking to get into weightlifting.

Favorite primal food? Egg bake casserole - breakfast or snack

Best part about being primal: I know it works because I tried it before and I felt great energy wise/about how I looked.

Worst part about being primal? The hardest challenges will be cooking and staying disciplined in doing it everyday. :-). Can cook but with work and school finding time can be a little hard. Committed to figuring it all out.

I consider myself a newbie with all of this(even though I tried before) and plan on doing my best and giving it my all.
                  Last edited by Vicelady; 11-30-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Morning everyone!

Your location: Toronto, Ontario

How Primal are you: 50% - removal of SAD, working on the rest. Consider myself a newbie who has read about this lifestyle for the past few years.

Do you consume dairy: Balkan yogurt, avoid milk/cream in coffee except on weekends

Do you drink coffee or tea: decaf, green tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Need to change lifestyle to be healthy

Favorite exercise: walking, pushups, some weights

Favorite Primal food: Beef, Seafood, salad

Best part about being Primal: Energy, health, state of mind

Worst part about being Primal: Family is not primal - but that is ok, just harder.
                    Last edited by swtoronto; 11-30-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Hello from Kansas

Your location: Lansing, KS

Age (If you want): 43

How Primal are you: Just starting out again. I have been partial paleo for about 3 months. I am working toward 100%

Do you consume dairy: no, I found out I am Lactose intolerant during a paleo 30-day reset.

Do you drink coffee or tea: black tea with honey

Motivator for switching to Primal:

It just dawned on me one day as I looked at how my mom, brother and sister lived and the state of their health. My mom, a sedentary woman of 67 with multiple medical problems, gets less and less mobile each day while she eats "crap" food. I decided whatever they were doing wasn't for me. I discussed this with the wife, and she was onboard with the idea of eliminating "junk" and and living better. after some research the Paleo/Primal lifestyle was a perfect fit.

Favorite exercise: Brisk walk with the dog

Favorite Primal food: avocados, Bison, raspberries,

Best part about being Primal: I feel 300% better than i have ever been before.

Worst part about being Primal: I travel for business and it is hard to find places to eat that fit the primal lifestyle. I have become quite adept at hotel room cooking.

Comment

• Your location: New Zealand

Age (If you want): 37

How Primal are you: at the moment, probably 90%

Do you consume dairy: yes, I have access to raw milk, just had my first serving of kefir milk that I made myself yesterday. Love cheese!!!

Do you drink coffee or tea: not for 10 days! Have had a few herbal teas.

Weight loss mainly, and I feel much better for it.

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: meat and avocados!

Best part about being Primal: eczema has cleared, blood sugar way more stable, no longer get the shakes if I have to go a period without eating.

Worst part about being Primal: other people just not getting it!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Your location: london

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: at the moment, probably 90%

Do you consume dairy: yes, milk in my tea

Do you drink coffee or tea: both

ill health (Crohn's) and after a load of surgeries this year I decided it couldn't get any worse. So far so good

Favorite exercise: I ran marathons and sportive before everything went pear shaped with my health. Hoping to get my energy back and start out small but aim big

Favorite Primal food: Salmon and nut butters (can't eat whole nuts).

Best part about being Primal: cutting out all sugar and grains which I feel are helping control my inflammation.

Worst part about being Primal:mother people not being able to see past 'cave man' and therefore not understanding it. It also makes eating out really difficult.

Comment

• Your location: Pittsburgh PA

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: Trying to be very.

Do you consume dairy: Yes...full fat, grass fed butter, and some cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, but usually coffee.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Trying to get off medications for high blood pressure and anxiety disorder.

Favorite exercise: Walking and weight lifting.

Favorite Primal food: Not sure yet...though anything with bacon or shrimp is pretty awesome.

Best part about being Primal: Hopefully the improved health.

Worst part about being Primal: Constantly being offered non-primal or non-paleo chow.
                            -Jim

Book: "Yes, I'd forgotten you're moonlighting as a criminal mastermind now. Got your next heist planned?"
                            Simon: "No. But I'm thinking about growing a big black mustache. I'm a traditionalist."

sigpic

Comment

• Your location: Buffalo, NY

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: I'm only 5 days in, but sticking to it and feel great.

Do you consume dairy: Lactose intolerant, so not really. But I do like Kefir; currently avoiding for "The Challenge".

Do you drink coffee or tea: Quit coffee 3 weeks ago after nearly 30 years of daily drinking. Feeling so much more calm!

Motivator for switching to Primal: Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Plus I want my pants to fit better. Actually, I don't want my pants to fit... I want other pants, that I can't currently wear, to fit.

Favorite exercise: Walking and playing with my 4 year old.

Favorite Primal food: I'm really liking grass fed beef.

Best part about being Primal: So far, my thinking is more organized and I don't feel lousy all the time.

Worst part about being Primal: I'm allergic to tomatoes/nightshades, so lots of yummy food is off the table (literally) for me.

Comment

• Hi, my name is Marge. About 4 months back, I stumbled across a post about maximizing nutrient intake. I was charmed! A "diet" that talked about what to eat, rather than what NOT to eat!!! This has been a thought of mine for a long time - why do people worry more about avoiding bad food than about finding good food? Also expressed as "Why do people eat Snackwell's and drink diet soda?" I started reading about the primal lifestyle, and discovered that this is pretty close to what I already was doing!
                                I'm an organic gardener, and raise my own chickens for eggs and meat, both in order to have good, delicious, clean food. I eat dairy, but try to get primarily raw, unpasteurized milk from Jersey cows, or cheeses made from this. I make my own yogurt. I cook most of my own food.
                                I was a runner and bicyclist, but a hip injury stopped the running, and at this time of year I only get bike rides in on an occasional weekend. I have a desk job, which makes it tough to get exercise and stay fit, but I persist! I do 2 sets of 35 pushups, and several other own-bodyweight exercises, every morning, and have been doing that for the past 15 years or so. I try to do a free-weights routine once a week. Stacking, splitting, and carrying wood for our masonry heater has been a good winter exercise, too. I like cross-country skiing, too, when there is enough snow.
                                I love meats, and always have. I love to cook things in inventive ways. I am very happy to have found out that the polyunsaturated oils are as nasty for health as they always have been to my taste buds! I do have a powerful love of sweets that I constantly have to struggle to keep in check. I love to bake, and to eat the things that I bake! I have now made rules that I only bake for other people, and I try to avoid having baking materials around!
                                It is good to know that there are reasons for the way I eat, and that other people also find this a healthier way to live.
                                I would like to suggest that it is also important for us to stay in touch with our immediate environment. Go outside every day. Touch growing (or dormant!) things. Experience the weather. Work in the dirt. Shovel the snow. And look up to the sky.

Comment

Working...
                                X