X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Austin, TX

Age (If you want): Turned 50 this past summer

How Primal are you: As of a week ago, 100%

Do you consume dairy: No mildly lactose intolerant, so completely avoid milk, yogurt, sour cream, etc. Love ice cream and "real" cheese, but they are a very rare treat.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No, gave up all coffee and caffeine in early 2013

Motivator for switching to Primal: I got heavily into CrossFit and Paleo eating back in 2009. I lost approximately 45 lbs., 6 inches in my waist and felt fantastic. Workouts continued, but I slowly drifted away from strict Paleo eating after a while. Life was pretty good - then I got hit with Calcium Pyrophosphate Deposition Disease (CPPD). Essentially its over-production of calcium pyrophosphate which precipitates as crystals in the blood and collects in the major joints. Think sand in your knees, ankles and (for me) feet. Hurts like hell and there is not much of a treatment regimen other than anti-inflammatory meds. After seeing numerous doctors, I found a clinical research doctor who put me on a whole series of B-vitamin and other supplements. After about 6 months I was down to an attack every 3 or 4 months, then no attacks at all!

I had not had an attack in 2 years until this summer. It was a bad one and lasted for over a month. In the intervening years, I had mostly drifted away from Paleo eating, although I still work out 5 days a week. What I have come to realize is eating right is just as important as the supplements, workouts and lower body fat for management of my CPPD. I have also gained half the weight back, which I deluded myself into thinking was greater muscle mass...

Tipping point came when one of my closest friends was diagnosed with testicular cancer this summer and his oncologist put him on a no-sugar diet as part of his treatment regimen. In support, I pledged to do the same so here I am.

Favorite exercise: Power lifting (floor press, strict press, dead lift and back squat), rowing and mild-form interval workouts (CrossFit-light)

Favorite Primal food: field green salad, balsamic vinegar, peppers, pine nuts and grilled chicken with pesto

Best part about being Primal: Feeling great after eating

Worst part about being Primal: Eating outside the normal routine (traveling, at friends, kids events, etc.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kdoyle89 View Post
      Hi everyone Im Kari..

Motivator for switching to Primal: Sorry for the soon to come essay, but just in case someone else has experienced something like this.. I have an undiagnosed right side abdominal pain. I can sometimes go for months with no pain. Then I'll have what I call a flare up and it brings severe life interrupting bouts of pain. Lasting months at a time. It gets so bad that I cant make it through a trip to the grocery store and If I push it ill be in pain long after I get home. Ive had ultrasounds, mri's , ct scans, X-rays, a colonoscopy.. no dr has been able to diagnose me. An ER PA said he thought I had something called meckels diverticulum but the gastro who did my colonoscopy didn't agree. I think doctors just assume Im crazy now, but I'm convinced its some kind of stomach trouble.
      You're not alone!! I experienced the SAME thing before I went Primal. None of the doctors could figure out what it was and I was TERRIFIED that it was some weird form of cancer and I was gonna be in pain for the rest of my life. Within three months of going Primal, the pain was GONE. And it has not returned two and a half years later. I hope this story has the same happy ending for you.
      Last edited by Meegads; 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM.
      Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

• Your location: Manila, Philippines

Age (If you want):will be 31 on the 20th

How Primal are you:95%

Do you consume dairy:No

Do you drink coffee or tea:Green Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Hormonal Imbalance

Favorite exercise:Kettlebell

Favorite Primal food:Oysters and coconut

Best part about being Primal: No mood swings

Worst part about being Primalutcast

Comment

• Your location: Glasgow, Scotland
          Age (If you want): 37
          How Primal are you: Not sure, I'm off all pasta, rice, cereals and bread (although I have sneaked the odd slice of cake or pastry)
          Do you consume dairy: Yes
          Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes
          Motivator for switching to Primal: Needed to lose a couple of stones and read through some of the info on the web about primal eating. it made a lot of sense so I decided to give it a try
          Favorite exercise: favourite what?
          Favorite Primal food: Medium rare steak, frittatas, roast/pulled pork
          Best part about being Primal: losing weight, often not feeling hungry until lunchtime or even later
          Worst part about being Primal: somedays I miss my porridge for breakfast which I had previously been enjoying for about 15 years straight. I do also miss hot toast and butter, a croissant with my coffee on a sunday morning.

Comment

• I'm 39, I live in Southern California/ the OC

I tried going primal last year, was about 220 when I started, I'm 5-11, after a couple months I lost >20lbs, was thinking clearer, feeling better, etc. my exercise has been very moderate & sporadic. After the stress of work & my crazy life w/wife & 3 small kids I drifted into poor habits again this year & I'm back at 220😣. A couple months ago I tried again at about 75% & my body was not responding well, no weight loss, I got discouraged after about 4wks & gave up. I would sure appreciate some advise & encouragement on what my 3rd attempt should be. I drink coffee w/whole milk (2-3 cups in am), diet soda is a big addiction for me & I think it makes me want to cheat on sugar here & there. Should I not eat after 7pm? Could dairy be a problem for me? When I was doing primal before I would eat out & get sweet potato fries w/my fish or protein burgers, things like that. I know I need to plan more for my lunches but I just need some overall advise.

Thanks
            Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Your location: Michigan

Age (If you want): 37

How Primal are you: 0% Just researching and trying to decide if I can do this

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: green tea only

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss

Favorite exercise: I like running, as I am not Primal yet...

Favorite Primal food: I love beef. always have.

Best part about being Primal: don't know yet

Worst part about being Primal: right now I am scared of this carb flu thing

Comment

• Hello all. I'm brand new here. Drawn to this forum as I struggle with my health. I have celiacs disease, autoimmune disease, and n two weeks I'm scheduled to have my gallbladder(GB) out. I have been doing herbal gallbladder detoxes and liver cleanses for 6 months now to no avail. My gb just doesn't work anymore :-(. I'm allergies to everything and am pretty bummed that I can't eat stuff like coconut, nuts, cantaloupes, sesame, barley, rye, clams. Coconut will close up my airways. :-( I'm already cutting out wheat, soy, milk, and corn as these give me terrible allergies and stomach upset. I thought i ate healthy, but no.......I feel like there's nothing to eat anymore. Looking for good recipes to food I can eat. I didn't used to be this way. Ugh. So here I am.

Marinabl

Comment

• Hello EveryOne ..

Your location: Cambridge, UK

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: I just went primal since 01/09/2014 - And from past 3 days - I'm trying to be as much primal as I can

Motivator for switching to Primal: Friend who lost oodles of weight

Favorite exercise: Squats, Yoga

Favorite Primal food: Egg

Best part about being Primal: Feel light in night when I go to bed - instead of being stuffed

Worst part about being Primal: Have to eat more with Knife and Fork

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Montana, USA

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: Not at all!

Motivator for switching to Primal: Multiple health problems including GI issues and skin issues. I want to feel better!!!

Favorite exercise: Lifting weights

Favorite Primal food: Meat!

Best part about being Primal: Being healthy, getting fit, and feeling overall better!

Worst part about being Primal: Dairy

Comment

• Hi Everyone!

Your location: "Passing through" NJ been here almost six yrs (from CA, family trying to move out of this toxic state!!)

Age (If you want): 48 years young! "Super wife/mom" Awesome husband, 25yr anniv next week, and mom to two wonderful girls, 4 and 11...yes, we are "older parents"

How Primal are you: Food wise, very, exercise wise, working on it

Do you consume dairy: no milk, some Greek yogurt, a little bit of cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Lots of green tea plain

Motivator for switching to Primal: Pain, poop (yes, regularity is key), overall general health and outlook (will be looking into much of the gut health info here...)

Favorite exercise: LOVE swimming, and my Latin dance classes

Favorite Primal food: Meat and eggs

Best part about being Primal: Everything in my life is just better

Worst part about being Primal: Finding the time to plan, shop for and create meals: making enough for multiple meals and trying to "unplug" at night! (also miss my favorite carb -- jalapeno potato chips!)

I've been a lurker for about two months--10 years ago lost 75lbs on Atkins, gained 25 back, and in the last two months have lost those 25...need to lose about 90 more. Haven't lost anything in over 2 weeks, assuming my body is adjusting, but I am not frustrated...yet!

Will be hitting up the forums for information and advice on a number of topics. I've been challenged in getting enough fat in my diet, and that seems to "mess up" the chemistry of how this all works. I react strongly to sugar -- not only with pain in my joints but the 1/2 a do-do (doughnut) I had a few weeks ago makes me gain 2 lbs! Weird...

The physical activity is my biggest challenge - I have a slight tear in my meniscus--Dr. says surgery would make it worse right now, and a ping pong ball sized calcium deposit embedded in shoulder (ligaments and rotator cuff - surgery would mean re-building my shoulder--can't do that right now with a 4 and 11 year old to chase around!) So the push ups, deep knee bends, etc., just aren't happening yet -- I can plank for about a minute and do superwoman for five mins...

I'm looking forward to being part of this great community!!

Comment

• Your location: Boston, MA

Age (If you want): 49 1/4

How Primal are you: 100% at home, 90% when eating out. I have an occasional glass of wine and don't get too neurotic about the possibility of there being canola oil or something in restaurant food. (But I do choose carefully, and try to get as close as I can.)

Do you consume dairy: No.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to be able to ski and kayak and cycle when I retire, and the SAD was making my joints hurt.

Favorite exercise: Swinging and pushing kettlebells around

Favorite Primal food: lamb chops

Best part about being Primal: Not being hungry all the time!

Worst part about being Primal: Having to constantly defend and explain my food choices.

Comment

• Your location: Currently in Spain

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: i havent had grains, wheat, or processed food for a month now.. mostly meat, fruits, nuts, and vegetables. not manly legumes(sp) though

Do you consume dairy: lll have some yogurt maybe once a week.

Do you drink coffee or tea: i have to

Motivator for switching to Primal: i want to better myself and see my abs for the first time in years.

Favorite exercise: just like lifting weights

Favorite Primal food: chickens

Best part about being Primal: i feel a lot better mentally and physically

Worst part about being Primal: every day in the chowhall i see donuts and cinnamon rolls and i miss them some times, but havent touched them since.

Comment

• Your location: Ozark Hills, Missouri, USA

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: Not much at the moment

Do you consume dairy: Some yogurt and some butter

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee daily

Motivator for switching to Primal: get my body back into form

Favorite exercise: Stalking for hunting and fun

Favorite Primal food: Fresh game over a campfire

Best part about being Primal: getting into shape

Worst part about being Primal: Genetic disease kicks me back into a chair all the time

Comment

• Your location: Worcestershire, UK

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: Depends what day you catch me on! 60% ish. Problem is the other 40%!

Do you consume dairy: Some. 1pt milk a week, max. Some cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Black coffee, & green tea. No sugar.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Feel better (less lethargic) & get back in to shape. My kids.

Favorite exercise: Golf (does that count?).

Favorite Primal food: Venison/Steak/Bacon... Lightly stir fried (using the meat oils) with veg.

Best part about being Primal: Energy. Knowing you're eating decent food, not processed rubbish.

Worst part about being Primal: The amount of prep work involved. Few menu options when you're eating out.

So I've read Primal Blueprint, bought Nom Nom Paleo and really dipped in-and-out of Paleo for about 12 months. Some things have stuck with me, some things have slipped away.

For almost 20 years I was really active, mainly doing Muay Thai 2-3 times a week until a back and knee injury (face down on floor, but toes pointing to the sky) slowed me down.
                              That plus a motorcycle accident and my age meant my recovery time was getting longer, and after a couple of years I became quite sedentary.
                              Add 50lbs and a right knee that likes to "pop out" and things got serious.

I followed a Nerd Fitness (Steve Kamb) programme and joined the gym last year for about 6 months, but finances meant I had to cancel my membership. Hoping to get a setup at home in the future though.

My sons discovered golf while on holiday, and I play that 1-2 times a week which although not strictly exercise, the walking and carrying gets me moving and does not inflame any past injuries.

Looking forward to getting some recipe ideas (especially from UK Primal followers), and getting a bit more active.

iPad App is great by the way.

Comment

• Your location: Central USA

Age (If you want): close to 50

How Primal are you: 100% except for random dives into milk chocolate!

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but am thinking of eliminating it for a 30 day reset in a month or two.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Black tea with cream or herbal teas

Motivator for switching to Primal: health and weight issues

Favorite exercise: anything that doesn't hurt too much nowadays, but I loved sport and exercise when I was slimmer.

Favorite Primal food: Roast leg of lamb!

Best part about being Primal: The food tastes so good!

Worst part about being Primal: Being misunderstood by family and friends.

I have been primal for about 2 1/2 years and initially saw a lot of good results. But, after losing almost 50 lbs, I started to feel really tired and lost a bunch of hair, generally felt worse in a lot of ways. Brain fog and poor sleep. Regained the 50 lbs and feel awful. Going to try Chris Kresser's way of finding what works for me instead of just going VLC. Trying to get my health back and find my way through the labyrinth of information and find what works for me. Looking for health first and then to lose about 90+/- pounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X