X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Tulsa, OK

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: AAaaaaiiii Yaiyaiyaiyai! Oooooo Ooooo Ooooo! Quite Primal. We all are really. Anything else is just resistance to the truth of who you are.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, Organic and I try to stay raw.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, Organic coffee and tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I'm 6'2" and about 4 months ago I weighed 315 lbs. I've been walking around 5-7 miles a day since February (however since my dog, my walking buddy, died a few weeks ago, I've slowed down a bit, but I'll pick it back up soon. I'm recovering from the loss and the walks really remind me of him so it's been tough. He was only 2 years old and I think he ate something that poisoned him. Not sure if it was a deliberate thing from another person or an accident.). Anyway, since February I've lost nearly 40 lbs. and am now just under 280 lbs. My brother, who was already in pretty decent shape, started living and eating primaly and now looks incredible and said he feels better than ever so I thought I'd check it out. Already, in just a few short days of reading the material and listening to the podcasts, I'm feeling great and can somehow feel that I'm sending my genes the message "eat me!". I expect to be a whole heck of a lot lighter by 2015. Also, because my wife eats paleo due to her health desires and an terrible candida related rash she's been dealing with on her hands, my family already eats paleo. I think this is a big reason I've already lost a lot of weight in the past few months, but I was sneaking in lots of gluten and sugars and fast food, etc. All of that is over now and I'm not going back to any harmful habits. I wasn't even aware that she had the Primal Blueprint cookbook and when I came back from Barnes and Noble with my copy of The Primal Blueprint I was pleased to discover that she had already purchased the cookbook and that's what I had been eating a lot of for the past few months.

Favorite exercise: I'd have to say walking. I don't feel that I'm quite ready for the push-ups and planks just yet and I don't think I can even do a single pull-up.

Favorite Primal food: Steak. I also love eating the nuts throughout my day to stave off hunger impulses.

Best part about being Primal: At this point, losing weight. However, when I get to my optimal body, I'm betting I'll be saying the energy and positive outlook on life.

Worst part about being Primal: No pizza. No ice cream. Love me some whiskey too (switching to occasional wine and gold tequila made from 100% blue agave).
    Last edited by OldDogNewTricks; 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• Hi there!

Your location: Northern Ireland

Age (If you want):28

How Primal are you: Dipping my toe in the water

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but try to keep it to minimal high fats, i.e cheese but no milk

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea mostly, green tea or normal tea with a splash of milk

Motivator for switching to Primal: Energy, weight loss and health (mostly weightloss)

Favorite exercise: Heavy weights and lovely yoga stretchy time

Favorite Primal food: EGGS!

Best part about being Primal: Energy

Worst part about being Primal: No cake

Comment

• Hey Now,

Glad to join the community! I'll intro myself and head to the journal section for a longer piece about me.

Your location: Tennessee

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: Almost 99% for the last week .. just started the 21 day challenge

Do you consume dairy: Not needed, I enjoy cheese, sour cream but can easily do without.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both .. coffee for comfort, Oolong for enjoyment

Motivator for switching to Primal: Practical - Weight loss, Whimsical - to recapture as much as I can the life I had when I was a long distance hiker

Favorite exercise: Hiking .. more recently road biking

Favorite Primal food: Brisket!

Best part about being Primal: Learning to listen to my body again

Worst part about being Primal: Grasping the science of my own biology.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anonymous View Post
          In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:
          Hi Y'all I'm in for 18 days and feel so very good!

Your location: Bayside NY

Age (If you want): 60

How Primal are you: 95%

Do you consume dairy: cream for coffee, some full fat Greek yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: want to be in charge of my health, Marks's theories, research, etc make so much sense to me and I need to loose weight

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: sautéed spinach

Best part about being Primal: ENERGY and mood improvement

Worst part about being Primal:
          That I wasn't taught this in school

Comment

• Your location: Cape Town, South Africa

Age (If you want): 35

How Primal are you: 90%?

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Milk, cream, cheese, greek yoghurt. All in moderation

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, both. Ceylon + herbal teas, incl green and Rooibos infused with Ginseng

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss, manage my IBS

Favorite exercise: Tabata: resistance and weights. Not big on "conventional" cardio.

Favorite Primal food: Beef and lamb. No organ meat. I don't like the taste.

Best part about being Primal: No constant cravings. I eat my fill when I'm hungry and I lose weight eating good, tasty, fatty foods

Worst part about being Primal: I LOVE sushi: fashion sandwiches. All the bits with sushi rice. I can't indulge as often as I'd like. As for social: My opinion about my health is what counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Your location: Arizona

Age (If you want): 55

How Primal are you: ~75%

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health. Tired of being tired!

Favorite exercise: swimming

Favorite Primal food: meat!

Best part about being Primal: How easy it is.

Worst part about being Primal: How easy it is. I'm worried all the time that it won't last because it seems so easy.

Comment

• Your location: Oregon, USA

Age (If you want): 45

How Primal are you: Just starting out, so not very primal as far as I know

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee, 1/2 1/2 blend

Motivator for switching to Primal: obesity and sensibility of the Primal idea

Favorite exercise: hiking

Favorite Primal food: I don't know yet

Best part about being Primal: I don't know yet

Worst part about being Primal: Dread of potentially giving up fave foods

Comment

• Your location: Seattle

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: mostly (80-90%)

Do you consume dairy: rarely - maybe twice a month I will have some full-fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit as a treat

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: I used to maintain my weight with calorie restriction. I was very often hungry. Last year I tried the 4-hour body for a while-- it is more restrictive than paleo in some ways: no fruit, no dairy of any kind, but there is also a 1 day/week splurge where you can eat anything. I found the splurge made me sick each week (irritated throat, nasal congestion, abdominal discomfort). I realized the grains were the culprit, so was happy to discard them. Intuitively it makes sense to be able to eat some whole fruit. The primal lifestyle fits my overall philosophy. I was already active and fond of strength training.

Favorite exercise: tennis, cycling, strength training

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: Never feeling hungry

Worst part about being Primal: Having to avoid my favorite french bakery

Comment

• Hello everyone! My name is David, I'm 47 and I've been doing primal for the past year. I do PB fitness (which, a little to my surprise is working really well). Right now I'm about 90% + primal. I live in sunny Buffalo NY.
                    I eat dairy, drink coffee (both at the same time is good!)
                    My favorite move is the push up.
                    I started primal for weight loss but I do it today for weight loss, energy, health, to feel good (not bloated), I like the food, and because it's really fun! Who knew?
                    I'm a Zen Buddhist and really have found this dovetails very well with the Primal lifestyle.

Comment

• Your location: North Carolina

Age (If you want): 53

How Primal are you: I'm about 80 to 90 % primal

Do you consume dairy: no

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: Research...My girlfriend went gluten-free and I started there, but the more I read the more sense it made to go primal.

Favorite exercise: walking my dog

Favorite Primal food: crock-pot pork loin roast

Best part about being Primal: How good I feel!

Worst part about being Primal: My husband - he has always been able to eat whatever without any issues, so he doesn't see the need to change now.

...I started my journey in October of 2013 and lost 35 pounds! but...I've been having some trouble staying motivated and my weight has inched back by 5 pounds. (I know only 5 pounds but I need to stop the munchies in their tracks before I yo-yo myself back up!) I'm hoping that by journaling and having a place where I hold myself accountable (rather than just lurking) I'll get back on track. I do not like to exercise, but I've started using the 10 minute fitness routines available on Xbox fitness.

Thank you for your support!

Comment

• My name is Corinna.

I am 27 from Connecticut.

I would estimate I am at 80/20 primal right now, aiming for better. There is nothing that I absolutely never eat, rather a scale of rarity of my eating things, with things like hydrogenated oils and white flour at the very rare end, and fresh vegetables and meat at the much less rare end. I do eat my meat rare, though. Try not to get confused.

I do consume dairy - but will likely try eliminating it at some point. Ditto with coffee.

Hiking is my favorite exercise followed by isometric holds. That's an order of preference not performance. I don't do them back to back. Again, try to keep up. Especially with the hiking - I move fast.

Maybe my favorite food is Roasted stuffed Cornish game hen with buttery braised leeks. Maybe that's just what I want for dinner tonight. I'm not sure.

I didn't switch to primal as much as I am gravitating towards it as a result of trying to become more intimate with my body and my environment. On-and-off switch thinking has gotten me in trouble before.

I would really, really, love some support from others on this.

Comment

• Ok, so I didn't introduce myself first cause I wasn't convinced I would be around long (I don't normally like forums for more than a week or so). So, I've been around for a few weeks now & figured it's about time to do this thing!!

Your location: in the wild rainforest of North Queensland, Australia

Age (If you want): (dirty) 30

How Primal are you: I've only just started out so it's kind of hard to say where on the spectrum I'll land. At the moment I'm as primal as possible while still being sensitive to the people around me needing to adjust to my new lifestyle. As well as kicking some major sugar addiction (coke primarily), & using up a few non primal favourites out of the freezer & cupboards etc. I would estimate about 70% on average (a weekly average) at the moment.

Do you consume dairy: yes, I make my beautiful milk kefir every day. I try to only buy full fat jersey milk, but being in a small town - once the supermarket is out, you miss out. I also cook with a lot of butter & use a bit of cheese in my cooking about twice a week.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Only while being social at other peoples homes, or out in town etc. 90% of the time at home I don't drink hot drinks, if I do it's dandelion tea - which isn't realy tea at all.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Ummm.. Many & varied!
                          From a strictly health point of view, I have had hyperactive thyroid (Graves' disease), excessive hives (urticaria) which I don't believe are linked to the "allergies" I have been suffering from since the age of 7 (all the tests & I still don't know what I'm allergic to.. The best description is preservatives, colourings & flavourings. And not all of them have to be artificial)
                          In more recent years I've had Stop Complaining Because We Can't Find Anything Wrong Syndrome... Better known as medically diagnosed (or rather excluded) IBS. With a side order of Salicilate (spelt wrong) intolerance.

Favorite exercise: riding my bike, swimming or just doing stuff around the house/yard

Favorite Primal food: bone broth

Best part about being Primal: the improvements in health.. & also telling my friends what I had for dinner & seeing them drool while they count calories & shovel down SAD food & excuses

Worst part about being Primal: that there is no recognition for no longer poisoning yourself (& family) as being a morally superior choice.
                          I don't hear many people telling my vegetarian friends that "what difference will a few sausages make?" Or "just one steak, I made it especially for you"

Comment

• Hi everyone, it's great to be here!

Your location:
                            Central Illinois

Age (If you want): 40

How Primal are you: I am but a wee lass in the Primal lifestyle. I am learning to be more like my mother; an obligate carnivore who, even at 65 years of age, can outwork me every day of the week and often forgets to eat. I think that maybe I'm starting to understand where her energy and lack of extreme hunger comes from.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, though I am consuming less than I used to and am transitioning over to raw in the interim.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee is non-negotiable. This is a matter of public safety.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I am a recovering carb addict. I have lost 45 lbs through traditional diet and exercise, though the weight is starting to creep back on. I still have another 30 lbs or so to go and I'm finding this last 30 to be much more difficult to lose...if I lose anything at all. What is worse is that I am always, ALWAYS, raging hungry. In the past week since adopting a more primal diet, I have finally experienced relief from the insane hunger.

I want more of this.

Favorite exercise: I like exercise with a purpose. I can't stand exercise for the sake of exercise. But if I can get my sweat on and at the end of my workout have a weeded garden bed, or a cleaned stall, then I am much more likely to stick with it.

Favorite Primal food: I do love me some fish.

Best part about being Primal: Increased energy, decreased cravings, and controlled hunger.

Worst part about being Primal: Getting past the carb flu and breaking the sugar addiction.

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Pennsylvania

Age (If you want): 34 and 36

How Primal are you: well, it's Day 1, so striving for 80%

Do you consume dairy: We have decided not to rule dairy out since we already limit it a lot.

Do you drink coffee or tea: both, highly moderated

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss and a general desire to feel and be healthier

Favorite exercise: TBD; former chronic cardio addicts so trying to find a good PB balance. Simple at-home exercise tips are welcome!

Favorite Primal food: easy, steak!

Best part about being Primal: Well, as previously mentioned, it's only Day 1, so...

Worst part about being Primal: Also TBD.

Comment

How Primal are you: 70%, working toward >90%

Dairy: In the past, yes. Currently, no.

Coffee or tea: Both. They are a great joy. Trying to minimize my consumption of caffeine, however.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I am a serial crash dieter and exerciser. This was the first approach to things I came across that seemed obvious and logical, addressed mental health and stress … almost more than the food/exercise thing.

Favorite exercise: Running, swimming, hiking, long dog walks

Favorite Primal food: Don't know yet. I like meat. I like vegetable. I like fresh food. And I love to cook.

Best part about being Primal: The focus in mental health and helping the body heal itself.

Worst part about being Primal: People talk about their lifestyle choice too much. I'd like to have more people following this lifestyle around me, but not if they talk about it in a cultish/obsessive way. I want to feel good and just try to be present.

NICE TO MEET YOU ALL!!
                                :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X