do you consume dairy: only butter
    do you drink coffee or tea: not usually
    motivator for switching to primal: health, lose weight
    favorite exercise: walking
    favorite primal food: don't have a favorite
    best part about being primal: health improvements
    worst part about being primal: bored with food

Comment

• Hello! I am a former ethical vegan who is transitioning out of veganism after about 10+ years. Thankfully I was a cheater and never could go on vacation without eating some seafood or dairy, so I believe this helped me keep my health. At first it was great, and I always tried to stay away from processed vegan foods, but in the latter years I started putting on weight and eating a lot of sugar and simple carbohydrates and going through sugar highs and crashes, even though I am an avid cyclist. Last year I read Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories," and it caused a paradigm shift in my thinking about food. I also read "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith. I stumbled on Mark's Daily Apple while searching for information on how veganism is not an optimal way to eat, specifically I was looking for some information and anecdotes from people about how McDougall's way of eating is not optimal for health. In the past 6 months or so I have transitioned out of the vegan way of eating and have embraced animal meats and fats and seafood, coconut oil and milk, pasture-raised beef, eggs from local farms, and have eliminated (for the most part) breads and processed foods and pasta, and (for the most part) I eat only a bit of 85% dark chocolate after dinner for sugar and a little sugar in my morning coffee. That is as far as I have gotten. I have seen the biggest improvement in my stamina and endurance both on my bicycle and at work. We just got back from a vacation at the beach, and I was delighted at how good I look in the vacation photos! I knew my clothes felt looser, but wow! (I don't really weigh myself, it messes with my head).

Your location: Southeast United States

Age (If you want): 49

How Primal are you: I am not sure, just getting started. I need to work on some of the other lifestyle issues associated with being primal in addition to diet.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, I love eggs and KerryGold butter, and I use creamer in my coffee and enjoy some raw cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, I love my morning 2 cups of coffee. I get my coffee from a coffee co-op and use a French press. Yum.

Motivator for switching to Primal: To obtain optimal health and strength as I age.

Favorite exercise: Bicycling.

Favorite Primal food: Eggs.

Best part about being Primal: Increased stamina and endurance.

Worst part about being Primal: Eating out.

Comment

• I never was a diet, dieting or fitness enthusiast, in fact for most of my life I lived very deep under the path of Korg. I found about the Primal Blueprint and the MDA back in October 2013 in a rather unusual way, I love history and was searching about the 18th century Prussian military, saw that the color they used in their coats was the so called Prussian Blue, which in it's turn is a chemical compound used in the manufacturing of blueprints, when I googled about blueprints I found out about Mark's book, that was the most lucky web sailing I could had have. In early December 2013, weighting around 100 kg and 173 cm tall I decided to give it a try and followed just the guidelines for the diet, no amounts tracking , giving myself the right to break in the holidays, and also eating common potatoes (at the time I did not knew they were bad, maybe they helped me in the transition to fat burning, i got no dizziness or energy drop whatsoever). Even in such a rough, imperfect way I lost around 20 kg in around 2 and half months, now, May 2014, I'm 77 kg and 175 cm. While these results were very good for their own sake, they were also very bad as they made me postpone a ramp up in the primal lifestyle, now I'm looking forward to the 21 day challenge.

Your location: Brazil

How Primal are you: I try to be the most of the time in the diet, no grains, no dairy other than cheese, processed food almost never, only break the diet when tripping or in special dates, It's hard to get most of the food to be organic though, don't use salt, sugar, sweeteners or any industrial condiments whatsoever, I'm just not into the supplements and protein powder yet . I'm jumping on the barefoot bandwagon right now (walked barefoot in my house for some time now and am buying the Feelmax Panka and toe socks) and looking forward to adopt a safe cookware, primal approved personal products and buy an air purifier, water filter and shower filter. Right now, I also need to fix my sleep, take the habit of taking 20 minutes of sunlight everyday early in the morning and start playing, probably volleyball, football (soccer), Ninpo ninjutsu, and/or archery.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, rich cheeses like Gouda and Emmental, unfortunately not organic (yet), also I try to keep it a weekly or biweekly indulgence

Do you drink coffee or tea: No, not regularly, although I would like to. Also would like to add organic, alcohol free, dry red wine or organic grape juice to my diet.

Motivator for switching to Primal: A process of complete mindset change I passed by in the year of 2013, that together with other things made me start caring about my health. My main objectives are; a great body composition (12% body fat), get rid of my severe acne and dark circles under the eyes (both are getting better already), and lastly, but most important age incredibly well.

Favorite exercise: For now, walking, I'm not resolved in the exercises yet.

Favorite Primal food: Steak.

Best part about being Primal: Better health and mood.

Worst part about being Primal: Eating out (or rather not being able to) and missing the Italian culinary (I have Italian descent); pasta, pizza and gelato (ice cream).
        Last edited by Dioblackironoyster; 06-01-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Hi! I'm Reese as excited about going paleo! I'm trying to heal my gut and decrease inflammation, I have a history with bingeing and restricting and this know a little wiggle room is healthy..the all or nothing causes stress. Anyway, would love to hear about successes with 90-95% paleo diet! Do you think I'll see results with the 90:10 modification..I'm a few weeks in and had a binge the other day-suspect it was due to under consumption of calories while traveling. Want to make this a lifestyle but don't want to be so rigid that I spiral out of control. Advice or suggestions and success stories welcome about finding the right paleo balance. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Welcome to Reese and the other newbies!
            Goals:
            • Bodyfat 25 May 2014: 22.5 per cent
            • Target bodyfat: 12 per cent

"Those who can let go a little will know a little peace; those who can let go of a lot will know a lot of peace; those who let go completely will know complete peace" - Ajahn Chah

Comment

• Hi there

Your location: Uk

Age (If you want):60

How Primal are you:Fairly good at the moment

Do you consume dairy:limited... raw milk and aged cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea:both, but limit to one of each daily

Motivator for switching to Primal: health

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food:steak

Best part about being Primal:Being taken off all blood pressure tablets, no longer pre-diabetic, taken off asprin, losing 2 stone, not feeling hungry!

Worst part about being Primal:Having to buy all new clothes, or so I tell my husband, its such a chore!

Comment

• I'm completely new to primal eating. I have tried Atkins in the past but it was disastrous for me. (Gave me the runs).

Your location: North West of Chicago - Almost to Wisconsin.

How Primal are you: Will be starting this Saturday morning.

Do you consume dairy: Plan on just butter - occasional cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea in morning - with honey.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Improve health and weight loss.

Favorite exercise: walking and weightlifting. Starting to blend in some jogging.

Favorite Primal food: Steak.

Best part about being Primal: We shall see.

Worst part about being Primal: TBD. My bet is withdrawal symptoms from no more diet pepsi. (I literally drink like a 2 liter bottle a day.)

--way

Comment

• Your location: Kansas

How Primal are you: Probably about 70/30, looking to improve that ratio

Do you consume dairy: Always butter, bouts of cheese, recently reintroduced Greek Yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: Either black coffee or green tea, keeping this at a minimum and as early as possible has worked wonders for my sleep

Motivator for switching to Primal: Primal/Paleo in some version or other is just flat-out the only way of eating that makes sense to me at this point. I don't think that will ever change.

Favorite exercise: Lifting weights or walking

Favorite Primal food: Ribeye steak, bone-in

Best part about being Primal: Eating delicious food that you do not feel the least bit guilty about

Worst part about being Primal: No Mac n' Cheese

Comment

• Hello! My name is Becky. I'm considering primal, not officially joined yet. Have tons of issues: Alpha Gal (red meat allergy from tick/chigger), lactose intolerant, IBS-D and Fibromyalgia. I began considering restricting grains when I discovered gluten seems to improve my fatigue from my FM. Considering primal over paleo because I'm reluctant to give up the small amounts of yogurt and cheese that I can tolerate. I'm also at least 60 pounds overweight. Basically, tired of being fat, tired and in pain.

Your location: Arkansas

Age (If you want):44

How Primal are you: just began my journey: cutting out gluten entirely, considering eliminating all grains, except possibly occasional brown rice and oatmeal

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: both, but restrict caffeine

Motivator for switching to Primal: FM symptoms, weight loss

Favorite exercise: walking, yoga

Favorite Primal food: meat

Best part about being Primal: trying new foods/recipes

Worst part about being Primal: No beans?!! Trying to get my head around that one!

Would love any hints/tips from anyone or even simple encouragement. My issues make this process exhausting and complex. Thanks.

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Sweden

Age (If you want):55

How Primal are you: more and more

Do you consume dairy: yes cream, butter and some chees

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: My health and I am always so trired

Favorite exercise: Walking

Favorite Primal food: I like it all

Best part about being Primal: Its fresh

Worst part about being Primal: None so far
                      Last edited by lenapena; 05-31-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• New guy aboard

Your location: Orlando, FL

Age (If you want):47

How Primal are you: Very (?)...but I've only been doing this for 32 days.

Do you consume dairy: Only occasionally. Some butter for cooking and once in awhile grass-fed cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Nope.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss/health.

Favorite exercise: Walking/Hiking.

Favorite Primal food: All kinds, but lately I'm enjoying bison a lot. Lamb is great when I can afford it.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling great and losing the brain fog.

Worst part about being Primal: Cutting out beer. Now I limit it to just two on the last Friday of the month, during a regularly-occurring work gathering. Thankfully, that's tonight!

Comment

• Well I've been lurking around since 2011 I would guess! so I thought it was about time for me to introduce myself

Your location: Spain

Age (If you want):29

How Primal are you: ermm 80%

Do you consume dairy: definitely!! except for milk

Do you drink coffee or tea: both occasionally

Motivator for switching to Primal: being healthy( ok that one is pretty obvious!!) , rather avoiding any kind of dependency to the doctors and to any kind of medecine ! and this forces me to learn more about nutrition and health !!

Favorite exercise: hiking, bikram yoga; dance, running , swimming..

Favorite Primal food:...bacon ... what else ?

Best part about being Primal:- never getting sick nor cold;
                          - not gaining weight despite the huge amounts of food I take ! .

Worst part about being Primal: -really bad relationship with alcohol! ;
                          -while being with friends / coworkers ...and give up trying to explain why bread is evil! .

Comment

• Hihi! I'm also guilty of being a long time lurker, but I've decided to bite the bullet and actually start posting.

Your location: Cornwall / UK

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you:

Do you consume dairy: Yup.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, depends on how I am feeling.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I've always tried to be fairly active, but despite building muscle I was never loosing the fat layer over the top, so I decided to give Primal a try.

Favorite exercise: Walking and Hula Hooping

Favorite Primal food: Scrambled Eggs

Best part about being Primal: Hardly ever feeling hungry.

Worst part about being Primal: People trying to give me cake and making me feel bad for not accepting.

Comment

• Your location: Adelaide, Australia

Age (If you want): 50 years

How Primal are you: Have been about 80% Paleo for about 25 years then came across MDA a week ago and I felt like I was home!!! Everything I read (and I read tonnes of MDA's articles) just fitted completely with me right down to the chronic cardio, and the water intake!! I'm a Remedial Massage Therapist and Fitness Leader (not teaching fitness anymore) and all the 'rules' regarding water intake, full on cardio sessions, to 'supportive' shoes that we were taught never jelled with me 100% but I followed the rules until about 1 year ago. Now I've found Primal and I'm flying high!!

Do you consume dairy: Yes, heavy cream, yoghurt, butter, some cheese but only biodynamic and not homogenised and in small amounts.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, espresso or long black 1-2 daily

Motivator for switching to Primal: Became Paleo 25 years ago. Always passionate about nutrition and the CW didn't ever sit well with me so I've researched nutrition for over 25 years. Have been Primal all along without realising it!!

Favorite exercise: All Primal exercises especially squats.......love them!!

Favorite Primal food: Wild Salmon

Best part about being Primal: Everything!! Energy, health, strength, knowing my what I choose to eat and drink is health promoting to my body and mind is powerful.

Worst part about being Primal: Nothing anymore!! Giving up grains 25 years ago was tough especially being Italian and loving my pasta, but I do occasionally indulge but not very often as my body can't tolerate it or I choose spelt which isn't so tough on my gut or gluten free pasta.

Comment

• Hello! I am a month into BP now and Find it interesting. I have a background of exhaustion and thought this could be a tool to move me further away from that unhealthy past. Is there anything i should be avare of having this history? Being more sensitive I am not the one who can fast etcetera very much. Need balance and good routines. Would it be good for me now in the befinnande to not go so hard and add sweetpotato/wildrice/fruit in moderate levels in comparison to go straight out ro ketosis. After a month i tried that now and still feel low energy quite often and dissiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X