X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Northern California

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: 80% only because my occupation (chef) forces me to taste non-primal foods

Do you consume dairy: no

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: looked and felt like crap, migraines (no pun intended) and bloating

Favorite exercise: zumba

Favorite Primal food: grilled, local, grass fed, bone-in rib eye with plenty of fat and salt on it

Best part about being Primal: bacon

Worst part about being Primal: my grocery bill

Hi everyone,
    my name is Veronica and I have been dabbling in primal a long time but just more recently my husband and I went pretty strict except for when my occupation (estate chef for a winery) requires me to sample non-primal foods. I am seeking advice on this. For example today, my occupational adventures had me testing cracker recipes (the owner of the winery is not interested in selling primal crackers at the winery So, besides my intuition which is to drink plenty more water those days, is there anything else I should or could be doing to help offset the non-primal foods I have to consume. I am not consuming large amounts of anything, like after a whole day of cracker recipe testing I will have maybe consumed a large handful. Most days just a taste of any food will suffice but I still feel the effects of gluten and dairy on those days. Any advice is much appreciated! Cheers

Comment

• Your location: Los Angeles (Vegan Central)

Age (If you want): 28 (but probably 35-45 in my brain)

How Primal are you: 50% when I'm on a "bender," 80-100% at all other times (Primal for nearly 1 year now); one attempt before this where I was 95% Primal and only lost a few pounds...went off the rails, gained a bunch of weight and health problems and tried this again. Realized I don't lose weight with tons of raw vegetables. Now I'm down 35-40 lbs. Still working to get down another 25-30.

Do you consume dairy: Butter. Goat cheese. Heavy cream in my coffee and tea if available...half 'n half otherwise. Sometimes other cheeses, but only the good ones. I don't seem to have too much of a problem with dairy, but if I have to give it up to lose more body fat, I will. I will sit in a corner, cry, and mourn my butter and goat cheese, but I'll do it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Sometimes coffee. Decaf mostly (I don't deal well with regular). Black, green, white, and herbal teas. I don't discriminate.

Motivator for switching to Primal: LGN, anxiety, depression, myriad of mysterious health ailments, constant tiredness, IBS, severe disc herniations in lower back. I want to be disarmingly charming with my brain AND my looks. Got the former down pat. OBVIOUSLY.

Favorite exercise: Treadmill sprints. I'm new to them, but I like them. I have no upper body strength yet. I'm working on it.

Favorite Primal food: Grass Fed Rib Eye (cooked in butter)

Best part about being Primal: Listening to people tell me how crazy I am

Worst part about being Primal: Listening to people tell me how crazy I am

Long time lurker (about 2 years now). I do sh*t tons of nutritional research now. I constantly read about it, and I find it fascinating. I might actually have helpful things to say on this forum. Now, I'm putting my money where my mouth is. I will keep changing things up in my diet and exercise until the belly is gone, and then I'll keep changing up my diet and exercise to suit my new body's needs.

If something's chasing you for more than a mile, you'd better start thinking of another plan.

Old, boring journal!http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106774.html

New, cool journal that actually reflects my personality!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1605249

Comment

How Primal are you: just making the switch

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, mainly tea as befitting a Brit!

Motivator for switching to Primal: Long believed in the core principles and been suspicious of establishment thinking, now want to try and achieve the health and lifestyle benefits

Favorite exercise: Climbing / mountaineering

Favorite Primal food: meat especially beef and lamb

Best part about being Primal: hopefully feeling healthy and happy

Worst part about being Primal: peer pressure wen out with friends and family, especially if sticky puddings are involved!

Comment

• Hi, my name is Greg

I live in Lees Summit, Missouri.

Im 38.

Im very primal. I do some weight loss coaching and find my clients have much better results on my program than the included diet. I feel like I am setting a example that it can be done and you can really enjoy life eating this way.

Im very little dairy.

I do drink bulletproof coffee which I am having as a fill this out.

Ive been primal since January. My wife and I have been eliminating processed foods from out diet and this seemed like the next logical step. I have been researching paleo a lot and listening to different podcasts. I found myself really connecting with Mark Sisson and his way of being primal.

My favorite thing about primal is Bacon.

My least favorite is nothing right now.(Still in the honeymoon phase I guess)

Comment

• Your location: Fontana, CA

Age (If you want):32

How Primal are you: I'm 90% primal I'd say, i allow myself a cheat day roughly once a week

Do you consume dairy: Yes, cheese. No milk but I do like me some cheese every now and then.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Neither

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health, a year ago I was 240lbs and unhealthy. I'm at 189lbs and gradually still dropping body fat.

Favorite exercise: Walking barefoot

Favorite Primal food: Steak for sure

Best part about being Primal: The ease of weight loss, without gaining it back

Worst part about being Primal: Damn I miss Pizza

Comment

• Hello, Noob here. My name is Gene and I'm a 42 year old resident of NJ. I've been a long time lurker on Marks Daily Apple page and have read and heeded many of his articles but not enough. I'm trying to regain my health and I have yoyoed the last several years losing and gaining approximately 50-60 pounds. I've generally been an all or nothing kind of guy my whole life for good or bad.

I'd also like to be a better example for my children in regards to overall health. I enjoy sports most recently playing softball and adult dodgeball. I've also been into lifting weights the last several years and have a very nice little vintage gym set up with old American iron.

I suppose that's enough out of me for now. Looking forward to learning and eventually contributing to the forums. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Marion , Ohio. Age 42
                Beginner level...still learning
                Very little dairy, just butter and some Greek yogurt
                Tea on rare occasion
                Switched to paleo diet to get off of meds and regulate blood sugar
                I hate exercise, but enjoy yoga and dancing
                Favorite primal food so far... Steak and bacon
                Best part so far...losing weight and sleeping better
                Worst part was giving up diet coke!

Comment

• Bronx, N.Y.
                  41 with a lifetime of horrible eating habits. My weight maxed out at 310 about 3 years ago. Didn't know a thing about paleo at the time. Just decided I was sick of my body and feeling fatigued all the time, so I started my weight loss journey. Dropped 90 pounds over two years. Now my weight fluctuates between 223 and 218. Guess that's a plateau. Now going to give paleo a chance to see if it's the key to help me break this plateau and get to my goal weight of 165.

My favorite thing about paleo? Meat. I'm a true carnivore. But I love vegetables now.

What I hate about paleo? I really miss bread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Hi! I'm janagram! Been away so long thought I'd reintroduce myself! Let's see what I can learn…I've been trying a bit of PHD, and a bit of FMD and a bit of falling off the wagon! (except I'm religious about gluten!)

Comment

• I just turned 51 and have been on the Paleo/Primal lifestyle plan. My goal is to lose a total of 40 lbs. I have been on the plan for almost three months and have lost 26 lbs., so I have 14 lbs. to go. I know it is going to be a challenge losing the last 14 lbs. I have been on every diet under the sun over the last 30 years and am tired of the "yo yo effect.” I have never been what you would call "heavy," but have always struggled to keep my weight in a healthy range. I must say I am very satisfied with the plan. Not only is my weight down, but my blood panel is next to perfect and I no longer have to take statin drugs for cholesterol. I am looking forward to a lifetime commitment to this lifestyle.

Comment

• Your location: Tampa, FL

Age (If you want): 36

How Primal are you: Mostly Primal (80-90%). I just started this lifestyle.

Do you consume dairy: Yes but in much lesser amounts that I used to. I try to stick with less processed dairy products and avoid any "reduced fat" products.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. I drink tea 2-3 times a week but coffee maybe 1-2 times a month.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I hope it helps with inflammatory conditions that I suffer with such as psoriasis and tendinitis.

Favorite exercise: ??

Favorite Primal food: Because I always avoided it in my pre-primal days, I am going to say whole eggs, real butter, fatty cuts of beef and chicken, whole milk, liverwurst. Yummy!

Best part about being Primal: Not afraid of animal fats, is always evolving, and gives me the opportunity to try new foods (i.e. organ meats, animal fats for cooking). Last but not least, it is flexible and I can choose how strict I follow it.

Worst part about being Primal: I have to cut back on pizza and sandwiches. However, for health reasons, this ends up being a good thing.

Comment

• Hi from a newbie!

[]Your location: UK

Age (If you want): 40-ish

How Primal are you: Mostly Primal (80-90%). I just started this lifestyle.

Do you consume dairy: Yes as we are making this switch to the primal way of eating. But in much lesser amounts and always full fat products.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. I drink herbal tea occasionally and decaf coffee daily... Is this not recommended?.

Motivator for switching to Primal: to address unhealthy weight gain also one child has many food allergies and we hope as a family we can eat this way to reduce problems

Favorite exercise: long walks on the beach

Favorite Primal food: fatty meat cuts, grass fed butter

Best part about being Primal: improved sleeping patterns we are very new to this so learning as we go, all advice from other families greatly appreciated!

Worst part about being Primal: sugar cravings and without pasta we struggle to find quick fixes if life gets unexpectedly busy and We have a hungry family to feed!

Comment

• Hi Primals - My name is Dylan (and i like warm hugs)

Your location: Cronulla beach, Australia

Age (If you want): 35

How Primal are you: Trying my best, i'd say about 80%

Do you consume dairy: Yoghurt (Greek, natural, strained), nice cheese with red wine, 3-5 lattes per week

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, both - though lately hot water with lemon and honey (fresh)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss, Strength gain, Bacon.

Favorite exercise: Deadlift (cannot believe i can say that... never thought i could do them)

Favorite Primal food: "Pork is the best animal" - Homer

Best part about being Primal: Amazing animal fats, energy, less sickness, positive mental feeling

Worst part about being Primal: low on chips and beer and popcorn (booooo)

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Houston, TX (from New York City though)

Age (If you want): 49

How Primal are you: I eat 1 or 2 items per week that are not primal

Do you consume dairy: yes, half and half, full fat greek yogurt and butter

Do you drink coffee or tea: yup

Motivator for switching to Primal: eliminate sugar/carb cravings, improve diet, look and feel better

Favorite exercise: deadlifts, squats

Favorite Primal food: steak (grass fed, even though it is $$)

Best part about being Primal: I feel better inside (i've been doing this for a little over 30 days as of today), and i'm not counting calories and losing inches. Freedom from counting.....oh yeahhh

Worst part about being Primal: it can be pricey (grass fed meat, pastured eggs, organic veggies) but I guess you'll pay out one way or the other (whole, unprocessed quality food + quality supplements when needed + active play and exercise vs. cheap food + 50 million meds +poor health)
                              Primal shennanigans! My Journal

Comment

• Hello MDA forum! I'm Angela, and I'm a pastry chef (could there be a less primal profession?). Looking forward to this new journey in life.

The Questions:

Your location: Charleston, South Carolina

Age (If you want): 36

How Primal are you: Newly so, but going about 80% I suppose (some dairy and few organics...tough for me to hit farmers markets because they're almost always on Saturday mornings, and I work most every Saturday)

Do you consume dairy: Currently yes...minimal cheese and full fat Greek yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: Occasionally on both, not more than once or twice a week

Motivator for switching to Primal: Lose weight, become the best possible version of myself

Favorite exercise: I'm a walking fool...love to put in the headphones and just go

Favorite Primal food: Umm...meat and veggies. I'm a chef, so with those two, the possibilities are endless!

Best part about being Primal: Increased energy and general zest for life!

Worst part about being Primal: Learning to like eggs because they're the perfect breakfast food
                                "Locked up inside you like the calm beneath castles is a cavern of treasures that no one has been to....let's go digging" ~ Maynard James Keenan

I am Angela, Southern Fried Primal... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106998.html

Comment

Working...
                                X