Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone, as a writer myself, and as someone who's question was answered in one of Mark Sisson's post, I am excited to contribute to this forum. I have been a follower of Mark's Daily Apple for around three years.

Your location:

San Diego, Ca

Age (If you want):

20, studying Kinesiology at San Diego State

How Primal are you:

I have gone through different phases of 100% all the way to 50%. I would say currently I am at 85%, I add brown rice, legumes, because I am currently trying to increase my strength, and I have occasional cheats.

Do you consume dairy:

Grassfed cheese, and sometimes whole-fat milk

Do you drink coffee or tea:

Normally: decaffeinated powdered green tea
    Under heavier work load: all types of tea and coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal:

Originally: aesthetics and fitness
    Now: health, increased productivity, happiness, fitness

Favorite exercise:

Squat

Favorite Primal food:

Coconut

Best part about being Primal:

Energy, happiness, mental clarity

Worst part about being Primal:

Convenience

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location:
      UK

Age (If you want):
      Almost 32

How Primal are you:
      I don't eat grains, or refined foods. Stick to vegetables instead. Try to stick as closely to it as possible. The 80-20 rule works really well for me. Saying that, even when I'm enjoying the 20% Im pretty strict with what I have. Makes me feel guilty straying from the regular eating.

Do you consume dairy:
      I eat cheese, use butter for cooking and sometimes enjoy a little full fat milk with my coffee, but more often than not I'll use coconut milk.

Do you drink coffee or tea:
      Drink both. Maybe one cup a day of either or.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
      Experimented with healthy eating over the years but never found anything sustainable. Tried Ketosis which got me great results but was too restrictive. Stumbled upon your book and never looked back.

Favorite exercise:
      Pull ups

Favorite Primal food:
      Gotta be steak

Best part about being Primal:
      How energised I feel now. No midday tiredness. Get to eat all my favourite foods without guilt.

Worst part about being Primal:
      Nowhere caters for primal eating here in the Uk. Dining out is a constant minefield of sugar and grain.

Comment

• I'm new here, feeling slightly overwhelmed but trying to break everything down into chunks. This is my first post, so here we go...

The Questions:

Your location: Michigan

Age (If you want): 30 and 11 months

How Primal are you: Newbie level/just learning

Do you consume dairy: Occasionally I've been eating dark chocolate but that's about it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: The need to lose weight and the desire to have a cleaner lifestyle

Favorite exercise: Running

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: Not having to (really) count calories like a psycho

Worst part about being Primal: I'm all alone, it's hard with no real support

Comment

no grains for 2 weeks
          dairy - grass-fed butter, a little raw milk in my eggs last night
          2-3 cups of half-strength coffee, black a day & iced green tea straight
          switched to primal after being turned on to eating for my blood type at the health food store. I was almost there, and just decided to go all the way.
          I haven't started exercising yet, but the elliptical in my living room will be where I start
          Steak and avocado
          I am actually starting to feel better, but it's difficult to go out to eat - fajita beef on salad is available almost everywhere in Texas, but it's starting to get old.

As I said, I am starting to feel better, but I haven't lost any weight in the two weeks I've been doing this. I have only slipped twice - hush puppies last Saturday (quite a few) and popcorn (at home, with virgin coconut oil). I guess I need to read the book again.
          I'm 50, hormonal, 5', 187lb. No major health problems except for peri menopause, and achy joints (weight, I'm sure) and fatigue - I am tired and unmotivated! I'm a newlywed and mom to an 8 year old ball of fire. I need to not only get motivated, but to motivate my husband to get healthier, and be a good example to the boy.

Comment

• Intro

The Questions:

Your location: Rhode Island

Age (If you want): 22

How Primal are you: 74%

Do you consume dairy: on occasion we will have in our home the following items: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, almond milk, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: only hot teas

Motivator for switching to Primal: overall health benefits in the long run.

Favorite exercise: 30min mixture of everything; strength/resistance, stretching, sprinting.

Favorite Primal food: Fajitas (minus the tortillas) & eggs

Best part about being Primal: Not craving sugary foods, feeling lighter & healthier, not feeling guilty when I fail to reach 100% perfection.

Worst part about being Primal: Cost of healthier foods.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Anonymous;280]In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:

Your location: Denver

Age (If you want):45

How Primal are you: I think 100%

Do you consume dairy:no

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee one cup a day

Motivator for switching to Primal: healthier lifestyle, weight, also just made sense!

Favorite exercise: running, body weight resistance exercises.

Favorite Primal food: Elk, Antelope(harvested myself), and a big piece of fresh salmon or tuna steak.

Best part about being Primal: feel great all of the time oh and getting down to a weight I have not seen in almost 20 years! (easy peasy)

Worst part about being Primal: Thinking I was missing out on all the tasty junk food I used to eat, now after 3 months those feelings are starting to fade.

Comment

• Your location: Arvada, CO

Age (If you want):42

How Primal are you: Just started a month ago. I've taken out pretty much everything not Primal with the exception of a wee dab of honey here and there.

Do you consume dairy: A little bit of full fat greek yogurt or kefir once or twice a week. I plan to take it out for a few weeks to see if it makes a difference.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Green tea in the morning. For social reasons, I've been asked to refrain from coffee owing to the 'Tasmanian Devil' effect it has on me.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was vegetarian/vegan for 14 years and found myself increasingly and consistently hungry. I developed some weird health issues and regardless of how I "dieted", I couldn't shake the weight I was packing on. It just made me hungrier and crankier. I was tired, I was depressed and I felt guilty for even thinking about eating animals. Ever the curious one, I continued to research and found the book "The Vegetarian Myth" that rang so true for me, I almost cried. Further snooping lead me to Primal/Paleo. It's been a slow transition, but I'm struck by how much better I feel in the short time that's passed since dropping grains, legumes, sugar and eating meat. Yummy yummy meat.

Favorite exercise: I just love to move, Favorites are biking, swimming, body weight resistance movements, hiking in the mountains and rock climbing.

Favorite Primal food: Grass fed, grass finished steak raised 45 minutes from my house.

Best part about being Primal: I feel better than I've felt in years. I'm excited to see where this path takes me.

Worst part about being Primal: Right now, the sugar cravings. I know they will pass.

Comment

• G'Day all!

I'm a newbie to the Forum you can call me Happy. I thought I'd answer the questions too!

The Questions:

Your location: The most isolated city in the world: Perth, Australia. At least that's from your perspective. From ours, what are you all doing living so far awaaaaay?

Age (If you want): 54 going on 30. I was heading for old age but have decided to delay that as long as possible.

How Primal are you:As much as I can possibly be on any given day. Some days are easier than others!

Do you consume dairy:Cream. Butter. Cheese. Red wine. in small quantities. oops red wine isn't dairy...wait...maybe it is.

Do you drink coffee or tea:Hmm this is tough....I like coffee with cream in it and tea with cream. I've cut back to one cup of tea. one cup of coffee and two herbal teas a day. Not bad since I was doing 4 or more a day...oh... I see I am still doing 4 cups a day...how about that?

Motivator for switching to Primal:My grandmother was obese. My Dad died of stroke. My Mum is obese and has just started insulin injections. My doctor is pushing me to take metformin for my type 2 diabetes and I have been watching my diet for about 2 years- and the weight has stayed steady and the Hb1Ac test has remained borderline. I was already mostly primal....just gave up the grains and the legumes and it wasn't even an issue for me. For my family it might be a digfferent story...but hey; I do the cooking so they can get used to it.

Favorite exercise:Good days: rebounding on a mini trampoline....such fun pretending to be anything I want. Bad days: weight lifting with dumbells and watching bad movies while I do it.

Favorite Primal food:Salmon. Salmon. Salmon, Ohh and red wine.

Best part about being Primal: Finally saying to myself, you know what, you can do this, you can take control and get this weight off and get it sorted. I like to think about various family members reactions when it starts being noticeable. Until then (and even then) it's no one else's business except for mine.

Worst part about being Primal: ummmm...let me think....having to clean my pantry out....I just got it stocked with lots of "good healthy grains and dried beans!

Just as a finisher, I want to say I'm looking forward to spending some time with you all and learning what I can. I read Mark's book and decided immediately this was for me. His explanations about the insulin and the grains made perfect sense in light of our family history. I'm doing this for me, and if in the process I'm a better Wife, Mum and friend...I'm an example to our kids...and I look more the way I actually feel inside...and I stop arguing with my doctor (who I think enjoys it) THAT would all be good!

Comment

• Hey Y'all!
                    My name is Paula and I am in Arkansas. I am trying to start eating Primal/low-carb, but I usually don't make it past breakfast, but I get up the next morning and try again. I'm 41, single, no kids, and I have two main reasons for eating Primal. 1) Type 2 diabetes 2) I would like to shrink these damn Uterine Fibroids. I do drink coffee and un-sweet tea (the house wine of the South) and full fat dairy. Best thing I can see about eating this way is that I can eat all the "sinful" foods most people avoid. The worst thing is not eating what most people eat (bread, chicken & dumplings). Favorite exercise is the one I can do Well, enough about me. If anyone out there has some Primal versions of Southern recipes, please share, because God loves you when you share!
                    Bye!

Comment

• Good on ya mate!

Comment

• Your location: Sydney, Australia

How Primal are you: 80%

Do you consume dairy: I don't like milk but I have it with coffee and I also eat haloumi cheese every now and then.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I prefer coffee. Drink it everyday

Motivator for switching to Primal: To feel healthy, clear mind, not being tired and losing weight

Favorite exercise: CrossFit, squats and running

Favorite primal food: Eggs, avocado and cauliflower

Best part about being Primal: Not feeling bloated and sluggish all the time

Worst part about being Primal: Not being able to have sweets. I have such a sweet tooth and sometimes I give in to my cravings.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Your location: Sydney, Australia

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: I do occasionally eat bread or noodles.

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea (mainly green)

Motivator for switching to Primal: improve my blood lipid results.

Favorite exercise: walking along the beach

Favorite Primal food: eggs and lamb

Best part about being Primal: I don't feel bloated like I used to when I ate a lot of carbohydrate-rich foods

Worst part about being Primal: N/A

Comment

• Your location: semi-rural spot in western Utah

Age (If you want): a lady never tells

How Primal are you: It's a work in progress. Breakfast are mostly primal and dinners are primal...but the rest of the day not so much. And we don't really have a "tribe" other than the people we created. I don't often wear shoes though if that counts.

Do you consume dairy: about a tbsp worth in my coffee and the occasional cheese or yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: diets don't work

Favorite exercise: swimming

Favorite Primal food: hmm...depends on the day. Today I'd love a steak.

Best part about being Primal: feeling like a human again

Worst part about being Primal: Convenience. I struggle with your standard grab-and-go foods.

Sent from my EM63 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Your location: San Jose - CA - USA

Age (If you want): 48

How Primal are you: Just stumbled across this and got the book this week so 'starting', but many of the basics I do already

Do you consume dairy: I thought this was a weird question. Is there some division on dairy? Like a dairy vs non dairy camp? I drink wine and bourbon, that's more interesting than milk.

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee no whipped coffee drinks

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was looking for a change up in my workout routine and reading through Mark's site just connected with many of the ideas.

Favorite exercise: I like the sprints and that's what I added.

Favorite Primal food: Beef and Bison

Best part about being Primal: I'll let you know

Worst part about being Primal: I have a serious love of sourdough bread.

Comment

• Your location: Brooklyn, NY

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: 90% ish

Do you consume dairy: maybe once a week

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes to both, but mostly tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health benefits, including but not limited to... weight loss, ending my suffering of aches and pains. Also, to become the strongest and fittest I can be and a role model to my children.

Favorite exercise: dancing? a little of everything really

Favorite Primal food: Steak & salmon

Best part about being Primal: Feeling healthier, less aches and pains, feeling strong

Worst part about being Primal: I'm still new to the Primal lifestyle so still figuring all of that out. Everyone has their own way of eating, i just need to find mine... it just gets a little confusing at times.

Comment

Working...
                                X