X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Los angeles, CA

Age (If you want): 45 yo

How Primal are you: 80-20 No grains or beans/legumes, maybe a little rice or white potato if I feel like it. Some junk food (maybe every two weeks) - burger (no bun) and hot wings.

Do you consume dairy: Maybe twice a week (cheeses, yogurt)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: be healthier. After a lot of research, I know this is the perfect diet.

Favorite exercise: Hiking, biking

Favorite Primal food: Meats in general

Best part about being Primal: Eating meat knowing it's good for me ;-)

Worst part about being Primal: I miss pasta sometimes (my family is italian) and rice and beans (I am brazilian).

Comment

• Hello,
      My name is Sara, I'm 45, and I live in Denver Colorado.

70% primal

still eat dairy, but non-hormonal, non-pesticide organic local products. I've lived with Endometriosis for 31 years and am looking for several ways to control or reverse my symptoms.

I am a strong, Latina/Hispanic woman who is mostly centrist except for women's health issues.

Peace,
      SFK

Comment

• Your location: CT
        Age (If you want): 50

How Primal are you: Depends on the day. I want to be so much better at this.

Do you consume dairy: Cheese only, I'm very lactose intolerant.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes to both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I need to be healthier. I have so many issues and I feel good when I eat primal.

Favorite exercise: Walking but I have been going to the gym since December. Treadmill and weight machines, which I love! I used to lift weights many years ago, forgot how good I feel when I do it.

Favorite Primal food: Eggs

Best part about being Primal: More energy and fewer digestive problems.

Worst part about being Primal: I feel VERY limited in what I can eat. I have celiac, lactose intolerant, no nightshades.... it leaves me (or at least I feel) little to choose from.

I'm glad to be here! Want to learn a lot

Comment

• California
          age 48
          Just starting primal
          I had a cheat day and had a chocolate malt
          No coffee/tea
          Motivator, health reasons. My son lost 25 lbs on it. I need to lose 125.
          Favorite exercise, walking, lifting weights
          New at primal, worst part no more delicious cereal or cookies

Comment

• Your location: Greater Manchester, England

Age (If you want): 15

How Primal are you: I stick with it 90% of the time, I'd say. Pretty much the only times I cheat are if I'm at someone else's house and I don't want to make things difficult for them, or if I eat something from the school canteen (though that rarely happens) that was probably fried in vegetable oil.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, the full fat kind, in moderation.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea, very occasionally.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Mainly improved fitness and energy levels, although I want to lose a little bit of weight too (I'm, like, 5kg off my ideal weight).

Favorite exercise: Girl push-ups/press-ups (I can't do actual press-ups yet )

Favorite Primal food: Bananas!

Best part about being Primal: Not been primal for very long yet, so I can't really say, but all the benefits I've heard about sound pretty awesome. Also, I've learned a lot more about food.

Worst part about being Primal: Realising how narrow-minded most of the people I know are. ("How can you say carbs are bad and saturated fats are good? Our science teacher says... [blah blah blah]..." "That doesn't make it true. There have been studies that show-" "Whatever; you're wrong. You must be really dense.")

Comment

• Your location: Metro Detroit, MI

Age (If you want): 36

How Primal are you: I accidentally went semi-primal/paleo over a decade ago, before I had ever heard of any such thing. I dropped a ton of weight and felt better than ever. This time around I started reading up on it about a year ago and I've just recently started putting it into effect.

Do you consume dairy: Not if I can help it, as I'm very lactose intolerant.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No coffee because I have to add sugar to tolerate it, occasionally tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health and weight-related. I'm very overweight, pre-diabetic, and unhappy with the aching joints and inability to be as active as I once was.

Favorite exercise: Yoga and martial arts, not that I've been able to do much of either for years. Currently using an exercise bike for most of my activity, but I would like to get back to the way it used to be.

Favorite Primal food: Meat, seafood, spices.

Best part about being Primal: Already starting to feel less crappy and have more energy.

Worst part about being Primal: Detoxing! And feeling hungry all the time while trying to learn how to eat.

Comment

• Your location: Abilene, Texas

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: Full-on. I’ll cheat with a banana or dark chocolate

Do you consume dairy: Yes, butter mostly-in my coffee-with coconut oil

Do you drink coffee or tea: A cup of coffee in the morning and gallons of iced-tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health and wellness

Favorite exercise: Cycling, walking, lifting

Favorite Primal food: Venison, primal chili, curry

Best part about being Primal: I pay better attention to my diet and lifestyle

Worst part about being Primal: Hunting season does not last all year – I’m running out of venison

Comment

• Your location: Los Angeles, CA

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: I'm just starting out and really trying to stick with it, so I'd say like 80%

Do you consume dairy: Hell yeah because...

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink tea, and tea without honey and milk is weird and horrible. I'm trying to switch from my usual organic 1% to a full fat raw organic from pastured cows. All sacrifices should be so easy.

Motivator for switching to Primal: At fourteen I was diagnosed bipolar, the really bad kind that must be med managed, and every drug I tried caused me to gain more weight. I'm finally on a drug that works but despite years of low fat, whole grain eating and occasional exercise binges, I now weigh 290 at 5' 8" ish. My doc refused to believe me that I eat very healthy according to CW and told me to cut out the junk and the fast food. My only fast food is In n' Out and even that is extremely rare. Finally, after several mysterious vomiting bouts that my doc refused to even address I self diagnosed myself celiac. After about a year of gluten free eating I felt better but not much so I did more grain research. That lead me to Paleo, which seemed unnecessarily restrictive of saturated fats, which lead me to MDA. Suddenly, it all made sense! I've been easing myself into Primal for about a week and plan to take the plunge with my DH April 1st...

Favorite exercise: Walking. Slowly. Did I mention I'm almost three hundred pounds?

Favorite Primal food: Eggs, bacon, steak, kale in all it's forms, coconut anything.

Best part about being Primal: I don't have to pretend to demonize eggs or saturated fats

Worst part about being Primal: No potatoes. I can't help it, it's the Irish in me, I love potatoes. Fried, mashed, hash browns, home fries, baked, cut up in a soup or a stew...I'm gonna miss my russets.
                  Goal #1: Feel AWESOME
                  Goal #2: Look Good Nekkid
                  Goal #3: Rub Success in Stupid Doctor's Stupid Face
                  Goal #4: Total World Domination...or Total Bacon Domination, whichever is easier

My Primal Journal: Shut Up You're Not My Real Doctor!

SW(3/10/14):285 lb
                  CW(3/20/14):279 lb
                  GW(7/23/14):220 lb (fingers crossed)

Comment

• Your location:Orlando, FL

Age (If you want): 20

How Primal are you: just beginning

Do you consume dairy: occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes! Unfortunately, I am a caffeine addict

Motivator for switching to Primaluring high school I weighed around 110 pounds. I was involved in navy junior ROTC and was in the best shape of my life. I am 5'1" and now I weigh nearly 140 pounds. I am currently in my sophomore year in college, although I appear fit on the outside, I know am not on the inside. I have high cholesterol over 200. I have the stubborn belly fat that just doesn't seem like it wants to leave. In addition, I hope a healthier lifestyle will help me manage my stress of double majoring in a BSN and taking pre-requisites for medical school. I discovered the primal diet a few days ago and I am very motivated to follow it to the best of my ability at school as well as when I return home. Although I do not have the financial capacity to purchase foods that are optimal for being primal, I can choose healthier options available through dining services at my school.

Favorite exercise: running around the 2.8 mile lake on my college campus

Favorite Primal food: I love any kind of protein, especially beef, however, I am trying to switch to leaner options such as chicken in hopes that it will improve my cholesterol.

Best part about being Primal: I'm not sure yet, but I do notice during the past few days when I ate mostly protein from animal sources, cut out carbs, and ate more vegetables that I am less hungry.

Worst part about being Primal: I worry about not sticking to the lifestyle. In addition, I wish it caused instantaneous weight loss but there is no magic route. Weight loss requires commitment!

Comment

• Your location: Northern NY

How Primal are you: Very.

Do you consume dairy: Since I help run a small, organic, pasture-based dairy, and have it available raw, YES!

Do you drink coffee or tea: Organic tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health. General degradation of the ability to digest food shows we have been eating all wrong.

Favorite exercise: Not sure.

Favorite Primal food: Greens/Raw, Organic Milk.

Best part about being Primal: Lack of digestion pain.

Worst part about being Primal: Not sure...there is so much to learn!

Comment

• Your location: Florida

How Primal are you: Just started, but I am hoping to even out at around 85-90%.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, I love cheese, but I do not eat it very often. Once or twice a week.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Herbal Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Overall health and sustained weightloss.

Favorite exercise: Running, I love it.

Favorite Primal food: Chicken and Fish.

Best part about being Primal: How I feel when I eat healthy.

Worst part about being Primal: Not sure since I just started.

Comment

• Your location: The beautiful Low Country of South Carolina

Age (If you want): female, 47 in 2 weeks

How Primal are you: Very. I'm lucky enough to be able to participate in a local CSA for seasonal local fruits and veggies, organic raw milk and eggs, and also take part in a meat share for grass-fed beef, pastured fowl and pork.

Do you consume dairy: I'm originally from the Mid-West, so I'd say its in my "genes" to consume dairy, and do so with a resounding yes...that which I can tolerate, which would be our yogurt (We make our own yogurt with the raw milk), various cheeses, cream, and butter....I am going to start making my own butter next week (when my new food processor gets here...woot!).

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. I have 1-2 cups of black coffee in the morning, and drink different teas throughout the day, from earl treys to herbals, matcha, you name it. I love tea, and have a slight obsession.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Multiple health issues. Most importantly type2 diabetes and an auto-immune thyroid disorder that likes to try and kick my a$$. I've been on so many different types of diet changes (gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, low carb, VLC/PSMF), and medications, and keep feeling worse and worse, keep getting fatter and fatter...which makes me feel worse and worse....talk about a vicious cycle. I've ended up having a hysterectomy, and thanks to the PSMF (protein sparing modified fast - basically starvation with only lean protein) I also lost my gallbladder. My thyroid is still being tweaked in....I'm confident that this way of life (not just eating, but living) will help with that also, as I tend to get more thyroid "flare-ups" when stressed. On an up note, I've eliminated all peripheral diabetes meds, with the exception of 1 dose of metformin in the evenings before bed - My next goal is to eliminate that dose as well. On an up note....I've been down-graded (so to speak....I consider it UP GRADED) from a diagnoses of type2 diabetes to "glucose intolerant". It may seem like semantics to some....but it meant the world to me....it meant hope. I go back to the endo in April, and am really hoping for good things. I must really give her and her peeps props...they suggested to me that I try cutting out grains for a while, and that is how I found this wonderful place, with all of you wonderfully smart and inspiring people....and I am so thankful for that. sorry for the babble there....

Favorite exercise: Love walking, swimming, and soon my daughter and I are going to try pushing the car! I think that one will be a hoot.

Favorite Primal food: Meat. I love it all...(except offal. I've not gone there yet, but will eventually), and fat. I'm much happier eating fats.

Best part about being Primal: Having my 22yr old daughter as my primal buddy. She wanted to read up on "this new way i'd be eating", bought her own copy of The Primal Blueprint, and now talks about the Apple and Mark like she has known both all her life...its fantastic. She herself has seen eczema-like skin lesion flare ups she has had for years and years reduce and start to fade since eating primally. Its a wonderful thing. She also found through research here that the soy lecithin in the dark chocolate i was eating was causing me an allergic reaction. Way to go!

Worst part about being Primal: My sugar-daddy. He is not completely on-board, which is fine...I have no intention of converting anyone....this is my journey. It is the spouting of CW that gets on my nerves, but...this too shall pass as he sees my awesome recovery process, love for life, and enduring happiness with my choice. Lets do this!

Comment

• Hi Everyone!

I'm BrownCookie,
                            I'm a PB beginner, I'm really just a beginner and have a lot of questions, but first let me introduce myself...

Your location: Faraway (Let's keep it this way, for now)

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: Quite. A beginner, but not an amateur

Do you consume dairy: Yes, I've been tested- I'm not allergic.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Already in quite a similar nutrition for almost a year now (no junk food, almost no carbs at all, no soft drinks, hardly any sweets, using only olive oil, consume only water/ coffee/ tea, and exercising 5-6 times a week) But since I have to lose some more weight (already lost 12 Kg) - and I am not a fan of the "Low Fat - No taste" kind of nutrition (and I don't believe anyone should live a lifetime of low-fat) and since I'm already in the process - I was looking for a method that'll allow me to live a reasonable life with food around me- and keep me healthy.

Favorite exercise: Elliptical & some Weight training

Favorite Primal food: red meat, avocado, vegetables

Best part about being Primal: no low-fat! just real food.

Worst part about being Primal: too early to tell.

Comment

• Hi ,

I've been lurking and reading MDA for 2 years now , and have been partially primal during this time , but now its time to get serious.
                              I've had in this past years some major life transitions , all of them stressful:
                              I have finally become employed after being self-employed my entire career ( 20 years ) , due to various reasons , most of them not positive. I have just come out of a longterm relationship . Both of these involve many other impacts on lifestyle and quality , don't want to bore anyone here . Birthday coming up in 2 weeks , and finally decided I have to get off the wagon of doing unproductive things in an uncommitted way, so posting here is a great starting point for me .

Your location: D.C area

Age (If you want): 40s

How Primal are you:60 % going fo 90%

Do you consume dairy: yes , cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal:Time to make a definite commitment to myself without excuses why I don't feel like it

Favorite exercise: Yoga, bootcamp

Favorite Primal food: Bacon, eggs, veggies

Best part about being Primal:Energy

Worst part about being Primal: No cake

Comment

• Your location:
                                On the beach in NC

Age (If you want):
                                55 Still alive

How Primal are you:
                                As much as I need to be. 100%

Do you consume dairy:
                                Some cheese. Some live yogurt.

Do you drink coffee or tea:
                                Strong and Black - Unsweet with lemon - hot with lemon & organic honey.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
                                Like Living

Favorite exercise:
                                Bicycle

Favorite Primal food:
                                Anything that walked, swam or flew

Best part about being Primal:
                                Feel good all the time finally

Worst part about being Primal:
                                That I didnt start 30 years ago.

Do you drink
                                Some wine with dinner, Potato Vodka in case of emergencies, Tequila sparingly, might drink 3 lite beers on social occasions.

Comment

Working...
                                X