Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: New York, NY (for now xD)
    Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you:
    I started a week ago, and love it. I do eat some starch now and then (sweet yams, white rice, etc.).

Do you consume dairy:
    Yes, though trying to reduce its percentage in my diet, and to move to goat milk.

Do you drink coffee or tea:
    Both. I love green tea, and drink copious quantities of it. Coffee, more in moderation.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
    Reading up on what gluten can do to you, I found I have all those symptoms. Plus I noticed that my former vegetarian diet hasn't made me healthier - quite the opposite actually.

Favorite exercise:
    Cycling and long distance walking.

Favorite Primal food:
    Roast whole bird (chicken, goose, duck, pigeon, whatever) with cooked root veggies.

Best part about being Primal:
    All the meat. And, hopefully being healthier on the long run.

Worst part about being Primal:
    I have to skip my weekly excursion to the Dominique Ansel patisserie. I used to be a huge French bread and pastry aficionado. In fact, I used to be fuming about how all these New York City hipsters have lost their minds with all their gluten free everything. The idea of gluten free bread still gives me cold shivers. XD
    Last edited by Sigmoid; 01-21-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• Your location: Pittsburgh

How Primal are you: Newbie. Had followed Makers Diet 2010 to mid 2011. Patsquach has been my trailname since 2005.

Do you drink coffee or tea:Coffee and decaf tea. I always wondered if the coffee would inhibit weight loss

Motivator for switching to Primal: After surgeries I gained 45 pounds and became depressed. I want to get back to higher energy living.

Favorite exercise: Backpacking.

Favorite Primal food: Boneless Ribeye

Best Part about being Primal: The fitness blueprint is simpler. I was actually doing too much and burning out too soon previously.

Worst part about being Primal: Haven't come across it yet, although I used to make a mean pizza. Oh well.
      Last edited by Patsquach; 01-22-2014, 11:03 AM. Reason: update age
      M 42
      Nov 2014 SW 253 39%BF
      !

Comment

• Your location: Pennsylvania

How Primal are you: I was full-on from August until the holidays of last year. Now, re-cutting out the wheat (holidays are a bitch!! Cookies everywhere!), finding myself eating more cheese and carbs. Carbs just make me feel better and fuller. Go potatoes!

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes to both

Motivator for switching to Primal: BABY WEIGHT... also have been very interested in nutrition (read:geeking out), love n=1 experiments and studying on my own

Favorite exercise: Backpacking.

Favorite Primal food: CHEESE

Best Part about being Primal: Feeling great and luckily, dropping weight without trying all that hard.

Worst part about being Primal: Nothing really... except dodging CW...

Comment

• Your location: Turkey (I am English)

How Primal are you: Fairly Primal, I have been doing Low Carb on and off for over 10 years.

Do you consume dairy: Yes cheese butter, cream and Szme or Kaymaklı yogurt. And recently began making Milk Kefir.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Green tea (for almost 30 years)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Haven't switched, but am considering it. (Watch this space, LOL) 47lbs to lose.

Favorite exercise: Swimming and walking. Have resistance bands but need to get into a habit of using them, truth is I am very sedentary, this laptop is heaven and hell to my health.

Favorite Primal food: Chicken and i love cheese

Best part about being Primal: Eating healthily, feeling healthy.

Worst part about being Primal: Being a guest at a friends dinner party or eating out generally.
          Last edited by Rindaloo; 06-19-2014, 01:59 AM.

Comment

• Your location: Wisconsin

Age (If you want): 37

How Primal are you: All-in (as I learn how!)

Do you consume dairy: Some cheese and butter

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, switched to black

Motivator for switching to Primal: Tired of all the general crumbiness that goes along with the SAD and sedentary lifestyle. Want to live to play with my great grandkids.

Favorite exercise: Tearing through the woods out in the hills!

Favorite Primal food: Anything meat, especially seafood.

Best part about being Primal: Taking ownership of how my body and mind feels thru treating it right.

Worst part about being Primal: I miss bread :-( it's my crack!

Comment

• Hey everyone, I'm Andrea. My location changes all the time as I love to travel, but you can find me anywhere from Canada down to Central & South America. I'm a young, healthy and happy entrepreneur. I am not one to label myself or others as being on certain diets, but Primal is the closest diet to how I eat. The switch to Primal has been a 5 year process, starting from a terrible allergic reaction to an "acne prescription" from a doctor which burned and scarred my face. Every day since then, I have been studying alternatives to healing the wounds in a natural way. Finding solutions that make sense and work with the body for the long term, not just the short term is the key.

The best part about being primal is you feel good, all the time. When everybody else has the flu, I can pat myself on the back and say hooray. I've realized over the past year that you can spend some time trying to convince others to change their health for the better, but when it comes down to it..you need to focus on making yourself healthy and happy and hope by doing that it will rub off on others.

After posting this, I found this article from Mark about difference between Paleo and Primal, and can definitely say I am more Primal than Paleo. Have updated my meet and greet and learned something new!

Looking forward to this forum
              Last edited by AngeH; 01-23-2014, 11:57 AM. Reason: Learned something new!

Comment

• Your location: Kentwood, MI

Age (If you want): 50

How Primal are you: lately, not so much. I was about 90% for about 3 months. Trying to get back on the Paleo wagon.

Do you consume dairy: very rarely

Do you drink coffee or tea: on paleo, only tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Dr. suggested. I was 80 lbs over weight. Diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroid Disease and Kidney stage 3 disease.

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: Feel good, dropping weight like crazy

Worst part about being Primal:falling off the wagon

Comment

• Your location: UK (Dorset / Hants)

Age (If you want): 44

How Primal are you: Only just started - probably eat too much dairy. This is partly because I have a nut and peanut allergy and am worried about my calcium intake (bones like a sparrow). Plus, I'm underweight according to my BMI.

Do you consume dairy: Yes! Goat or sheep only.

Do you drink coffee or tea: One or two cups of coffee most days, with cream and some (local) honey. (Considering quitting it).

Motivator for switching to Primal: Looking to improve my health / reduce my allergies. Found I'm not so far off primal to start with.

Favorite exercise: Walking the dogs

Best part about being Primal: Meat and all the fats I was told were bad for me! Plus it is far easier to find nut trace free food now grains are out of the equation.

Worst part about being Primal: Not sure yet. Possibly the cost of good meat.
                  Last edited by Lettie; 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Hello everyone,

I am Darby, I am a 37 year old woman living with my husband and children in Sweden.

I have been a member here for a few years but need to re-introduce myself because I haven't been active. I had much success on my journey in the past (lost 48 kilos, started my primal journey in 2009) but a illness I live with (Chronic aura migraines and chronic cluster headaches) has left me pretty beaten down so I have gained about 10 kilos back which I am now striving to lose again.

I know that there is fantastic advice here and it will keep me inspired if I just take the time to dedicate myself once again.

Sooo here we go again...
                    Last edited by Uggla; 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM.
                    -N mun hon skkvask.

http://www.instagram.com/old_hag

Comment

• Your location: Wyoming, USA

Age (If you want):34

How Primal are you:100% (if you accept dairy)

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Not currently, as I'm dealing with adrenal fatigue. In general though, yes, in small amounts.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Chronic achilles tendonitis (probably from adrenal fatigue)

Favorite exercise: cross country skiing, hiking, and Yoga

Favorite Primal food: MEAT! All of it! But especially bacon.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling & looking good

Worst part about being Primal: Eating out with few options while travelling, and trying to explain to people how I can possibly survive without bread. I don't bother unless they specifically ask, but they almost never "get it".

Comment

• Your location: Varna, Bulgaria

Age (If you want): 18

How Primal are you: I'd say 85-90% but I'm determined to make it 100%

Do you consume dairy: rarely and if I do, it's organic full-fat sour cream or some kind of cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: daily morning coffee, sometimes one in the afternoon, too..and 3-4-5 cups of tea a day...usually white or green

Motivator for switching to Primal: my brother with his amazing results

Favorite exercise: squats

Favorite Primal food: hard to choose only one, but I'd say every kind of meat, also eggs, coconut oil, macadamias... and many more. I seem to like every single Primal food except walnuts!

Best part about being Primal: no bloating, easy weight loss, endurance, feeling healthier...feeling better on the whole

Worst part about being Primal: those sugar cravings after you've eaten something non-Primal...and arguments about nutrition with some people that seem to think they're right

Comment

• Luce from across the pond

O HAI!

I've been lurking around for the past 3/4 months and started going Primal on January 2nd.

I've lost 7lbs so far and I'm never hungry. I do have cravings (emotional eating habits suck!) but I'm getting better at replacing any of the crap I would previously eat with "the good stuff".

One of the most interesting side effects was the marked improvement of my asthma - I used to need the inhaler once or twice a day, and last week I only used it once...the whole week!

About me:

Your location: Portugal

Age (If you want): 33 going on 34

How Primal are you: about 70%

Do you consume dairy: yes. I've excluded it for some time and re-introduced, and suffer no ill effects from it. I prefer yogurt, cheese (!) and cream rather than milk itself. I eat dairy because it tastes good, not for nutritional reasons (the "dairy=calcium" thing is a pet peeve of mine).

Do you drink coffee or tea: both (1 or 2 expresso shots/day); cups and cups of Earl Grey with cream

Motivator for switching to Primal: when I changed jobs in 2010, from a mildy active job to a desk one, I gained about 22 lbs of extra weight.
                          Since I couldn't stick with my previous methods for weightloss (low cal; low fat), I started looking for alternatives.
                          I like food. I LOVE food. My diet has always been standard Mediterranean (focus on pasta, bread and rice) and meals are a big thing, a social event, a chance to be with family and friends. I didn't want to lose that because of weird eating habits! Being Primal means, I can eat pretty much the same as everyone else, except for the carbs (we're big on veggies)!

Favorite exercise: swimming. This is where I'm less Primal... for now.

Favorite Primal food: Big Ass Salad with halloumi cheese and bacon, and an EVOO/balsamic vinegar/almond butter dressing.

Best part about being Primal: not feeling guilty for eating. Not being hungry even when IFing. The taste of food.

Worst part about being Primal: explaining IF (I try not to). Missing warm-straight-out-of-the-oven bread with butter (I was an amateur baker: cookies, cakes, pies and BREAD!).

One thing I'm still having trouble with is sleep (Sun exposure as well because it's Winter and it's been raining for weeks). I'm going for the 8 hours and I'm still sleepy in the mornings - I installed f.lux on all my tech-stuff - but I'm still having trouble getting out of bed.

My favourite form of play is skpping rope and throwing a tennis ball around.

I wish I could get together a goup to play basketball (the only team sport I enjoy), but women past high school seem to loose interest in sports besides treadmills and I don't know any guys who play....

PS - sorry for the loooooong post

Comment

• Age (If you want): 48

How Primal are you: into 4th week about 99% of the time so far

Do you consume dairy: very small amounts in salad dressing.

Do you drink coffee or tea: herbal tea and have cut down coffee to once a day.

Motivator for switching to Primal: fatigue, reflux, weight gain and sugar addiction.

Favorite exercise: weights and running/walking, although haven't done much of anything lately.

Best part about being Primal: no calorie counting!

Worst part about being Primal: missing cookies and don't want to create paleo substitutes to prevent igniting sugar craves.

Comment

• Hi everyone,

I'm Lorraine and I've been using this site since about 2009, but I've never posted on here before.

Your location: Alberta, Canada.

Age (If you want): The wrong side of 50!

How Primal are you: 85-90%

Do you consume dairy: yes.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, mostly coffee, sometimes herbal tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: 2009. No luck losing weight with dear old conventional wisdom.

Favorite exercise: I'm supposed to exercise too? :P Okay, I can't say I have a favourite exercise, as I really don't like exercising, but I'm doing it anyway! My current preferred method of exercise torture is zumba, because it's also fun!

Favorite Primal food: Too many to mention.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling good.

Worst part about being Primal: Missing out on toast and potatoes... ahh...

I had great success when first going primal, and I've slid off the wagon every now and again around vacation and holiday times. I hate that slide though because each time I jump back on board it's easy to drop the bad food, but not as easy to drop the weight with it.

I also avoided the type 2 diabetes that runs in my family, which I credit with going primal.

I guess that's it for now!
                              Last edited by Lorraine Mc; 01-27-2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Your location: British Columbia, Canada

How Primal are you: Have been experimenting with my own self brand of healthy eating (combined with a vigorous workout program) for several years and have yet to achieve nirvana, or at least a complete semblance of satisfaction. My sister and brother in law are believers in MDA and the Primal Blueprint and steered me to this website. After reading and researching I purchased several books early this year (including a few cookbooks WOW! I had no idea the variety one could eat while "following" Grok) and as of Jan 11th, 2014 I have turned to 100% Primal...or at least to my limited understanding of what exactly that is.

Do you consume dairy: No (unless whey is considered dairy)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Rooibos tea, post breakfast and post evening meal

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health, happiness, self awareness and, oh yeah, that last 5 or 6 lbs. that sit in exactly the wrong spots which I never could seem to shed regardless of what I tried. So far I've moved from 178 to 175 in 16 days.

Favorite exercise: Definitely pull ups

Favorite Primal food: Unknown to date but I've always loved meats, fruits, veggies and nuts so there's that.

Best part about being Primal: For the past 6 years or thereabouts when I made a lifestyle change I've felt generally healthy, fit and happy but two weeks into this and I feel better than ever.

Worst part about being Primal: Unknown at this time. I thought it may be the lack of "deserty" type foods but apparently (as I've found thus far) you can do amazing things with primal type ingredients.

Comment

Working...
                                X