X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Ashaway RI

Age (If you want): 29 (30 next month)

How Primal are you: I think I tend to eat pretty primal but fell off the bandwagon for several months. I do eat rice occasionally though...don't think thats primal.

Do you consume dairy:

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee with cream (approx. 10 oz cup in the morning)

Motivator for switching to Primal: I started eating primal in my pregnancy at 3 months...I guess I was scared of getting to 200 again. (I had low carbed to 160 from 210 but gained back to 190 trying to conceive for 8 months) I maintained a 15 lb gain during pregnancy (at one point I caved for icecream daily and had 5 lbs of gain at the beginning) Now I'm at the point that I've had three c-sections and I'm down to one pair of jeans that fit.

Favorite exercise: I really don't right now...any time my 6 month old sleeps, the activity of choice is cleaning the house...and there's always more to do.

Favorite Primal food: This soup I make with ground beef, onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, jalepenos, chicken broth and cream.

Best part about being Primal: the weight loss and lack of hunger from low carb with more food choices.

Worst part about being Primal:that I can't get my family off their junk food and my husband to stop being a vegetarian.

Comment

• Further Explanation

I was brief in my original message because the page for sending a message to Mark said notes should be short. I have reason to believe that I picked up a fluke in Swaziland when I ate meat that had been sitting out > 24 hours ... the life-long friend with whom I was staying does not have refrigeration and routinely eats things my system is not used to.

Also, I am a PhD student, working on my dissertation, and must remain succinct in how I spend health-related time. I believe my diet is similar to that of the Blueprint, so I don't think I need a lot of help on a basic lifestyle. (may need more help technologically than I do with generally healthy living Need to learn what's best for my currently out-of-the-ordinary situation. From one of Mark's blogs, I gather that detox is not appropriate. I want to learn what else is.

Debbie

Originally posted by fikile View Post
      Hi, I'm new to Mark's Apple but not new to healthy, high-protein, chemical free living.

I answer newbie questions below. Meanwhile, how can I learn about ways to deal with after effects of a 2-month stay in South Africa? Grew up in South Africa but lived in US as an adult. During and since going back to SA this summer, I encountered multiple extended bouts of irritable bowel, colds, & rashes. I think this relates to gallbladder but don't see info on a search of the forum or of the website.

Your location: Lincoln, NE
      Age (If you want): 52
      How Primal are you: new to Primal
      Do you consume dairy: raw cheese & occasional Greek yogurt
      Do you drink coffee or tea: decaffeinated tea
      Favorite exercise: yoga

Comment

• Hi all. Dave Gerczak checking in for the first time here. I am a 42 year old business owner in Wisconsin.

My story and fitness/nutrition background: I starting lifting at age 14 for football in high school. All of the core compound lifts. Weighed about 200 lbs then. More or less stayed near that weight but slowly gained weight into my 30s. Due to poor nutrition, booze, fun, etc. In late 2008 and into early 2009, I realized I was up to 230 pounds. I surfed around online and ended up training with Martin Berkhan on his LeanGains program, including intermittent daily fasting (which I love and still do to this day). It was quite successful and went from 234 lbs to 165 and from 25% to 6% bodyfat in about 13 months by May of 2010. I stayed in the 170s for quite awhile, but ended up having shoulder surgery from an old injury in fall of 2012, my diet got worse, I drank a little too often, you know the drill. So I was back up to 200 lbs on November 1st of this year. So, a little over five weeks ago, I started cutting again (currently 186.8 en route to getting real lean again), but this time I am making a commitment to learn to eat better foods and actually cook some of the recipes from the Primal Cookbook. And this time, once I get to that low bodyfat and I feel truly lean, I am staying there. By eating Primal.

My reason for being here: The Primal lifestyle suits me well, the people here seem friendly and Mark has this aging well and staying lean thing figured out. I am not sure how active I will be on the boards, maybe just a little at first as I get my feet wet.

The Questions:

Your location: Appleton, WI

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: Very primal for the past 5 weeks, as I am cutting.

Do you consume dairy: Greek yogurt on occasion.

Do you drink coffee or tea: One cup of coffee every morning. No coconut oil...yet.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to eliminate the crappy foods in my diet. I have eaten high protein for quite some time but also ate plenty of processed foods.

Favorite exercise: Deadlifts.

Favorite Primal food: crab or lobster and steak...surf and turf.

Best part about being Primal: If you do it right, it makes you lean and strong.

Worst part about being Primal: I want to learn a good base of like 20 primal recipes that I can consistently make that taste great. I own the cookbook, so the worst part will probably be learning those recipes.

Good luck to all of you in your fitness goals.

Comment

• Hi

I've been morbidly obese for the last 20 years. At my heaviest I was 165kgs (and I'm female). I lost 40kgs going low carb 10 years ago, but broke by having a caramel almond scroll and it was all down hill (well uphill as I put 20kgs back on) from that point.

Over the last 18 months I have lost 30 kgs doing a combination of Very Low Calorie Diet and low carb but am now struggling. I'm at my lowest point that I've been in years, (115kgs) but still need to go lower. I'm 179 cms and "should" be around 80kgs.

I found MDA after realising that I've stuffed my metabolism with the VLCD and I'm now trying to find a balance between allowing myself to eat what I want within the primal way of eating, but not eating too much... So far I've put on 4 kgs in trying to find that balance...

I've been lurking here for a few months, I'm going to try journalling and see if that helps... It's a good community here and I'm looking forward to "meeting" some new people

Your location: Melbourne, Australia

Age (If you want): 40something

How Primal are you: 80% (am trying to head for 100%)

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, more coffee than tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: lose weight and find a way of eating that I can sustain for the rest of my life.

Favorite exercise: weightlifting and boxing

Favorite Primal food: Roast Chicken

Best part about being Primal: I can eat as much as I like

Worst part about being Primal: I can eat as much as I like

Edit: Spelling
          Last edited by ChrysGryphon; 12-08-2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• Hi All,

My name is Claudio, and I am Maltese. For anyone who doesn't know where Malta is, it is a tiny island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea, just under Sicily (Italy). I would like to know if there are any other Maltese in this forum, and if yes can anyone suggest where I can get organic produce here, as I haven't found that much information yet.

Your location: Pieta, Malta GC

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: Just started and trying to get as primal as possible. Currently around 60%

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Mostly cheese, and a bit of milk (with tea)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I changed my training, and the instructor was constantly talking about your book. Started reading it before training, and thought it had some interesting facts. Plus I recently quit smoking for the second time, and after the first time I had put on 11 Kg, so this time around I want to be more careful.

Favorite exercise: Kettlebells

Favorite Primal food: Fish. I live on a small island, so we tend to have quite a bit of fresh fish available.

Best part about being Primal:It's been too short to give a definite answer, but one thing sticks out so far. I do not feel lethargic after lunch, that was very normal as I consumed carbs (especially pasta) in the afternoon, and I do not get very peckish in between meals

Worst part about being Primal:Occasional sweets make me feel guilty, and I do miss them from time to time.

Some more information about me. I am not here to lose weight as such, as I only weigh under 70 Kg for a 5 foot 5 person. I just want to maybe tone the waist line a bit more, and live a healthier life. And if this will help me maintain my physique, which I heard it will, that is even better. Plus the health benefits mentioned in the book.
            Last edited by cpisaniMalta; 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Hi! I am a Zumba Fitness instructor in Alaska. I was diagnosed three years ago at age 41 with Type 1 (yup, type 1, or "juvenile") diabetes. The attraction to primal is its emphasis on fat and protein which I am hoping will translate well to a diet which allows me to keep my insulin requirements down. I look forward to the conversations!

Comment

• Your location: Florida

Age (If you want): 18

How Primal are you: As a college student it has been difficult, but possible. Of the 21 meals per week (on average), I would say 19 of them follow the common primal guidelines (this, however, doesn't apply to my exam week!). I believe I have been majorly accustomed (and I believe successful in) to avoiding the major foods, but I would like to also focus and improve upon attaining and consuming the most beneficial items as well. I live a pretty active lifestyle, progressing during my senior year of high school both in my diet as well as my physical exercise. However, currently in college, I am working on being more efficient in time-management so I can continue to physically prosper at the maximum level; I am still able to attend the gym 2-3 times a week and kick in a lot of walking throughout campus between classes. Another consideration: although I avoid the dining halls for alternative locations that meet my needs, I still hope to become more in the kitchen and prepare fresh foods for myself. With much higher expectations and goals in mind for the next year and semester, I will rate myself only as 50% because I strive for high expectations of consistency and efficiency.

Do you consume dairy: Every since July 2013, 99% of the liquid that I have consumed has been water. I no longer drink milk nor use it within protein shakes. However, I still enjoy sour creams and cheeses in general during meals. Yes, but no Milk.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Used to drink Green Tea throughout the summer and beginning of my first college semester -- however, despite its positive health effects, it has stained my teeth (I haven't drunk any soda over the past 9-12 months and I do not drink coffee) and I have taken a large break from it and want to consult with my dentist before returning to consumption. (Please message me if you have any experiences with this or remedies!)

Motivator for switching to Primal: I have slowly been altering my diet throughout high school, and after hearing Mark Sisson on the Tom Woods Show (podcast), I became intrigued of Tom's story, Mark's philosophy, and his website. I have practically, already met many of the primal guidelines, and I was interested in fully becoming a part and passionate in the lifestyle and community.

Favorite exercise: Bulgarian Squats, Dumbbell Presses

Favorite Primal food: Steak, Chicken, Cheese, Avocado

Best part about being Primal: The upside is that there are only general rules to follow and remember in the lifestyle and that I can still enjoy a variety of foods with the the fats, proteins, and cholesterol included that many wrongly fear.

Worst part about being Primal: Remaining consistent and staying true to your convictions and the goals set for the future.
                Male|18|5'8|155-160 lbs|University of Florida

Comment

• Your location: Brisbane, Australia currently

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: As much as I can be, except for the occasional beer.

Do you consume dairy: No.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to look and feel as well as possible.

Favorite exercise: Curls, push-ups and pull-ups!

Favorite Primal food: MEAT.

Best part about being Primal: None of that processed junk.

Worst part about being Primal: No pizza!

Comment

• Your location: Knoxville, TN

Age (If you want): 23

How Primal are you: ~ 90%

Do you consume dairy: Minimal.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee.

Motivator for switching to Primal: To lose weight, get in shape and feel better overall.

Favorite exercise: Splitting wood, chasing the dog.

Favorite Primal food: Chicken, steak and salmon.

Best part about being Primal: Eating healthy food for lunch and not having to drink 2 cups of coffee to stay awake from 1-5 pm.

Worst part about being Primal: Can't eat delicious pizza.

Comment

• New in FL

[QUOTE=Anonymous;280]In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:

Your location:fl

Age (If you want):43

How Primal are you: diet 75%

Do you consume dairy: yes, since Aug, only raw milk kefir (homemade)
                      And KerryGold butter. Very infrequently, plain Greek yogurt, 2x in 6m.

Do you drink coffee or tea: no coffee since June, do drink green tea and peppermint tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: to increase health & quality of life, l
                      Lose weight/gain strength while getting healthier.

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: today, salmon on mixed greens w evoo & sea salt.
                      Most days, butter, avocado, CO.....

Best part about being Primal:good food, bare feet..

Worst part about being Primal: preparing different food for picky family. Ease of quick snacks when out (too often mine is dark chocolate

Comment

• Your location: Alabama

Age (If you want): 38

How Primal are you: just starting

Do you consume dairy: I love plain Greek yogurt and good cheese. I'll be eating these in very limited amounts now, saving them for a treat!

Do you drink coffee or tea: I've loved unsweetened iced tea for years, hate the sugary syrupy stuff they serve down here.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to feel better, I've always suffered from gastro issues when I travel to the point of misery.

Favorite exercise: long walks and jogging

Favorite Primal food: EGGS!

Best part about being Primal: not sure yet

Worst part about being Primal: no bread

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Jackson, WY

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: Working on it. I eat almost no wheat, do eat lots of colorful veggies, good meats like elk if my hunting friends are successful, and lots of good fats. I wear shoes when it's really cold (-17 F this week), and make my own sandals. I love to be outside moving around and as I don't work in landscaping/farming anymore, Crossfit is my heavy lifting.

Do you consume dairy: Currently no. I'm trying dairy free per consultations with my holistic doctor regarding menstrual issues, but I normal do eat butter, some cheese, yogurt, and keifer.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Usually just herbal tea. I'm an oddball who doesn't like the taste or smell of coffee.

Motivator for switching to Primal: A lot of it made sense with things I was already doing or noticing about my body. I've become more and more primal as I try to control/fix/eliminate severe menstrual cramping, skin sensitivities/eczema, and am wondering about some underlying auto immune issues with both of the above and possibly Raynaud's.

Favorite exercise: Backpacking, skiing, hiking, crossfit, bouldering, gardening.

Favorite Primal food: Almost everything. Not a big fan of liver though...

Best part about being Primal: We'll find out I guess!

Worst part about being Primal: I may have food sensitivities/auto immune issues with many otherwise fine primal foods.
                          ~Ariel

http://arielcsblog.blogspot.com/

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Comment

• Your location: Watford, Herts, UK

Age (If you want): 55

How Primal are you: ~ 50%

Do you consume dairy: Cheese, plain yogurt ( pref greek), very little milk (for tea)

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea and occasional coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: To lose weight, stay healthy for my multi-disabled daughter

Favorite exercise: 20 min HIT each week

Favorite Primal food: don't know but i love my british full breakfast

Best part about being Primal: Just starting so don't know yet

Worst part about being primal: fresh baked crusty bread

For about six months i have been re-shaping by doing High Intensity Training (HIT) (not HIIT). Feeling good and starting to look better for my age. I did also slow get rid of wheat in the house -amazing how many products had wheat in them. I take fresh fruit veg and salad box orders from organics suppliers (deliver to you house) and vow to use/eat them instead of throwing away rotted veg as i have in past. However struggling with grain i have fallen to eating oat crackers and biscuits. I know if i eat wheat i feel sluggish and lethargic now. My challenge is also weaning my family. Its just hubby who needs packed lunches everyday and a 24yr old daughter who has multiple disabilities and cannot exercise.
                            Julie

Comment

• My Name is Kelsey, I used to be fairly active, tried (and loved) crossfit for a while, and worked out at a local boxing club, joined intramural teams at my University. I was first introduced to the paleo diet a couple years ago and have never really stuck with it - or regular exercising for that matter. I struggle with a yo-yoing weight, every couple years I lose 20+ lbs without even trying, and will gain it back slowly.

Your location: Ontario Canada

Age (If you want): 22

How Primal are you: During exam period... Not at all. the past couple months though I am minimizing grains and processed foods and make extra efforts to get some exercise.

Do you consume dairy: No milk, but I do eat cheese in moderation.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink both

Motivator for switching to Primal:
                              - The row of my favourite dresses in my closet that don't fit
                              - Planning a canoe trip for next summer
                              -Level out my yo-yoing weight, it would be great to have clothes of one size. Right now I have shirts ranging from xs to L, and pants from size 3 to size 10.

Favorite exercise: I love intensity, which is why I loved boxing and crossfit so much. I also love when you are exercising and don't even realize it i.e laser tag, or paintball, or any sport for that matter.

Favorite Primal food: bacon and eggs

Best part about being Primal: how good you feel, I had so much more energy and liveliness when I ate primal and exercised. I want it back!

Worst part about being Primal: The looks you get when wearing vibrams, ... Lack of pizza

Comment

• Your location: uk oxford

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: 80%

Do you consume dairy: yes but limit milk

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea

Motivator for switching to Primal:
                                Having scoliosis on top of four kids with autism and severe sleep
                                Deprivation , was getting ill , in pain and depressed , couldn't diet as I needed the energy to cope as a full time carer
                                Lived on easy quick rubbish and felt suicidally depressed most days
                                Exercise was walking to the car and chain smoking , in short I had to change
                                Favorite exercise:
                                Body weight squats

Favorite Primal food:
                                Eggs
                                Best part about being Primal:
                                It's easy , quick and cheaper than processed rubbish

Worst part about being Primal:
                                I miss the high eating processed food gave me during the nights when kids were up all night

Comment

Working...
                                X