Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning all, my name is Lydia, and I'm 34 in Canoga Park (Los Angeles), CA.

I've been reading MDA for a while now, and have been low carb, but am making the commitment to being primal. I would say I start off 80% primal. I do consume dairy, but have been working on limiting it in the past few weeks. I am a heavy coffee drinker between 6am and 10am, but I've switched to decaf.

As for why I switched to primal..... it just makes sense. I come here for the science, so figured why am I not doing it all 100%.

My favorite exercise is either swimming or hiking. I rarely get to go swimming as I HATE public pools, but I do get to go hiking 1-2times a week. My favorite primal food is probably this Italian concoction I made: bacon, chicken, tomatoes, onions and pine nuts. I usually serve with a steamed veggie of some kind. I know BAS is big, but since I was forced to eat salads as a child, I gag every time now. I'm trying really hard to incorporate them, but so far..... no such luck.

Best part of being primal: how I feel when I make healthy choices.

Worst part of being primal: the thought and effort that goes into it.

Comment

• Your location: Vancouver, BC

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: Diet: No grains. No dairy other than a little butter. No processed foods. Mostly eat a lot of bone broth, roasts, all kinds of grass fed meats, and lots and lots of vegetables. Avoid starchy vegetables for the most part. Lots of veg juices. Some fruits every couple of days. No eggs - I can't handle the smell or taste.

Lifestyle: Barefoot or barefoot-like footwear the vast majority of the time. Exercise is still too 'workout' based and not enough play; enjoy hiking, swimming, cycling, and start climbing tomorrow. Sleep 8+ hours most nights. All natural hygiene products.

Do you consume dairy: Only grass fed butter.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Only organic green tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My wife and son. She read the GAPS book but it sounded too regimented, Paleo sounded reasonable. I wanted to finally be fit and healthy again. I wanted to be in less pain which has been chronic since a serious car accident. I wanted to be able to serve my wife and play with my son.

Favorite exercise: I'm not sure yet, my pain stopped me from enjoying exercise. One day I'd love to be able to ski and mountain bike again. I'd also love to hike and camp.

Favorite Primal food: Anything my wife makes, she should have a primal cooking show and restaurant! Pork butt roast is a favourite.

Best part about being Primal: Less pain and more energy.

Worst part about being Primal: The feeling of everything I do being intentional, I find it hard to switch that mentality off. I don't want the pain levels to increase again.

Comment

• Hi!

Your location: The Netherlands

Age (If you want):34

How Primal are you: Pretty Primal. I have actually been a vegetarian for 20 years, including a vegan stint, and have now made the switch. Which is still a bit of an ongoing process, it's only been a few months. Baby steps! Albeit mental baby steps mostly, physically I'm superduper, it's pattern and thought process I need to flip and switch.

Do you consume dairy: Only hard, old cheeses, or unpasteurized soft brie,a nd the occasional gloop of grassfed butter.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both. I'll have a black coffee with a splash of almondmilk, or a green tea, please. Thanks

Motivator for switching to Primal:Being actively conscious on how to be the best me I can be and in a manner that is most beneficial for my body as it was designed to perform.

Favorite exercise: Sprinting and squatting!

Favorite Primal food: I heart food, period So if it's primal, I'll love it.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling strong in my conviction that I am making the healthy choice of lifestyle.

Worst part about being Primal: I've not come across any unbearable no-no's yet.

Comment

• OK, I'm putting my foot in the water!

Hello everyone, I have been lurking on this site for about a month and am trying to break out of my shell so here it goes.

The Questions:

Your location: Colorado, USA

Age (If you want): 35-it's just a number.

How Primal are you: About 80% I would say.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, cream in my coffee, cheese, butter-I do want to cut down.

Do you drink coffee or tea:Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to feel better and I also have a bit of fat I want off of my body forever.

Favorite exercise: Hiking

Favorite Primal food: Tilapia and a big salad

Best part about being Primal: It's simple.

Worst part about being Primal: Finding things to eat when out.

Comment

• Your location:The Bluegrass

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: I ate only meat and veggies before getting married in January. Now it's a struggle with so much temptation swirling around (with my new family) daily. I try, but I'm not 100% primal like I was before being married. It's depressing.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, now I do anyway. Prior to January I only used heavy cream.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: My health. I was diagnosed with insulin resistance.

Favorite exercise: Water aerobics, hiking, yoga and the eliptical. Haven't done any of that regularly since getting married and having to work, cook, and tend to the house. Husband works second shift. He tries to help though.

Favorite Primal food: oxtails, short ribs or steak (if it's good quality and cooked right).

Best part about being Primal: I slept better, skin was better, weight fell off and I was told that I would be taken off my metformin on my next doctor's visit. That never happened. My entire life changed in January.

Worst part about being Primal: Temptation exists at every turn in my house. I praying for strength and help. I even considered moving out. I know it sounds extreme, but my health is very important and my A1C has not been good. I know I can control what I eat, and I try. It's just, as I said before, so much temptation around (unlike when I lived alone.) I try to remember to let my food be my medicine, and my medicine be my food. SIGH. It's just harder now.

You all seem really nice around here. Thank you all for so much helpful information and for sharing. I'll keep reading and maybe I will gain strength from some of you. You all seem to have it all together! Thank you kindly for reading and have a blessed day.
            Last edited by LemonMarie; 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• hello everyone!

this is day one for me... i have been visiting mda for a couple of months but am going to jump in and do the 21 day challenge, which will hopefully help this to be a permanent move.

Your location: the lovely (currently grey and wet) state of tasmania, australia

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: fully, but ask me tomorrow

Do you consume dairy: yeah, milk cream and butter. not sure how long i'll make it before cheese starts sneaking in too...

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes!

Motivator for switching to Primal: i'm sick of feeling sick, a chronic feeling of 'bleugh'. i want to get more energy and yes, i want to lose weight and feel good about how i look.

Favorite exercise: this is an area of my life that desperately needs attention. i have slowly become an overweight and lazy girl.

Favorite Primal food: all of it! but not okra.... eugh!

Best part about being Primal: this is the test, so bring it on!

Worst part about being Primal: i think this is going to be the social side of eating... how to eat primallyout and about, and with friends that 'bake with love'. the latter is a pressure that i have never been great with, so i need to grow a backbone and deal with it. tips/advice welcome!

Comment

• Your location: Wisconsin, USA

Age (If you want):50

How Primal are you: Brand New!

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: My family has a history of intestinal problems. Both of my parents died at very young ages, one from Colon cancer and the other from Crest Disease. I want to avoid that fate. I also have a HUGE family - 4 brothers and 5 sisters that I would love to help find better health. I've been slowly learning about better health and when I read the Primal Blueprint it made perfect sense to me. I'm not all the way through the book, but I'm cutting out as much as I can already. I'm excited to become a fat-burner instead of a fat-hoarder!

Favorite exercise: I like Kettle Bells

Favorite Primal food: I'm so excited about eating real, full fat versions of stuff,...I want to say EVERYTHING!

Best part about being Primal: Not being so regimented, counting calories, working out like a fiend or eating every few minutes. None of which ever worked for me!

Worst part about being Primal: No pasta...I'm Italian :-(

Comment

• Originally posted by Loka View Post
                  Hi everyone..... I'm a new Asian female to this forum and would just like to introduce myself....😊. I stumbled upon this website & has been following the forum thread for a month before I finally picked up the courage to join in (my first ever public announcement that I have an eating disorder!).

Would be be great to hear any help from all of you!

living in : Asia
                  weight/height: 48kg / 163cm / around 10kg fats (according to my scale)
                  hobbies: running, baking, eating (ESP sweets &#128534
                  Medical history: diagnosed with high cholesterol (above 300 points) last December. Stopped having my period since May 2012 - don't know why???

reason for wanting to go primal:
                  I've been on a compulsive eating behavior since 2 years ago when I fell in love with running. Would go all out bingeing whole day uncontrollable on everything insight in a day - 5 to 8 scoops of ice creams, 3 to 5 slices of cakes or bread at one seating....uncontrollable bingeing, especially on desserts, for 2 to 3 hours nonstop. I would feel so guilty & bloated and then I'll take laxatives to make myself feel better. I'll start the next day feeling bloated & telling myself not to repeat this again....will be good all the way till after dinner....then BAMM....it starts all over again with late night dessert binges!

the worse thing is I do all these in secret by myself cos I feel so ashamed of myself.... I am hoping to try primal living so that I don't have to keep tracking my calories everyday & be able live normally like my peers around me. (Doesn't help when I'm living in Asia where rice and grains is the staple food)

help! 😫😓
                  I have done my share of binge eating during my school days, so I sympathize with you. I never balanced it out by exercising though. Mostly, you should just follow the advice- eat enough protein and good fats, less to moderate carbs depending on what your goals are and you should be fine. If you live with other people who are not eating this way (as I do), then you should make sure the stuff that is not primal is hidden away or hard to reach, at least in the beginning. This way of eating can feel boring if you don't experiment with the stuff that you can eat, so get creative with your recipes- there are tons out there on the internet, so search around so that things don't get boring. Use vegetables like broccoli or green beans underneath your chicken or fish or beef or whatever instead of the rice. Eventually you might be able to work a moderate amount back in (or so I hear, I am not there yet, just started almost a month ago now), but vegetables will suffice for now. Hope that helps.

Don't worry about it too much! You will get there. The whole idea behind this plan feels like everything good in moderation and the bad stuff you just avoid. What happened to me, pretty naturally, was I found I didn't need as much food to feel full. That seems to be the way it goes for lots of people. Good luck!
                  Stephanie
                  "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

How Primal are you: I try to be as Primal as possible, particularly with food (eating a super juicy oxtail curry as I write this) and I've recently discovered a hatred of shoes and a love of going barefoot, its completely healed my ankle/heel pain that CW tried to tell me was a *result* of going barefoot at Taekwondo!

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Although mostly goat or sheep cos my other half has a cow dairy intolerance(!) - I lurrrve Manchego (best of both) and goat yogurt is super tasty.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink tea. I'm British don't you know! I hate coffee, always have. It gives me a stinking headache. Even the smell makes me feel queezy.

Motivator for switching to Primal: To be as healthy as possible. I got rather obsessed (and still am) with health after my Dad (RIP) got diagnosed with cancer in 2006, because up until then we'd all considered him (by CW) to be much healthier than a lot of other people his age. It has however taken me until this summer (6 years!) to discover Primal.

Favourite exercise: Climbing. Over rocks, up trees, over walls, out of muddy ditches. Anything where I get to pretend I'm a carefree mountain goat.

Favourite Primal food: I love cooking and I love experimenting so this changes from one day to the next depending on what I've discovered most recently. Its amazing how many 'traditional' recipes using offal and lard you can find that can be tweaked to make them completely Primal.

Best part about being Primal: I don't get colds any more. I feel a lot calmer and happier generally (I used to be quite hyperactive, in a bad way). I can go for more than just a few hours without food without feeling dizzy and faint and irritable (I used to think that was because of my relatively low blood pressure, but evidently not). And I'm almost rid of my old beer belly, can't wait for the sixpack to show through (yes I'm a girl and yes I still want one).

Worst part about being Primal: I have this one friend who totally freaks out whenever I politely decline the bread. He starts spouting off about 'the staff of life' and refuses to believe we haven't been eating it for forever, and loudly proclaims to anyone who'll listen about how much of a gullible moron I am who'll believe anything they read on the internets. Its a shame really, cos other than that he's a really cool guy.
                    This is all just opinion. And it will have probably changed by this time tomorrow. Don't quote me on anything.

Comment

• Your location: Finland

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: As primal as I want to be! Heh... erm... I've been more or less "primal" for well over 10 years, ever since it became apparent that I've inherited the family coeliac. I dislike using labels though, even though my eating habits are very much paleo. It's like putting myself in a box of exclusivity, when most of the time I'm utterly amazed that other people don't eat the way I do, since my diet seems the most rational and normal to me. I dunno, my brain just has a hard time processing that paleo might be an aberration within my culture.

Do you consume dairy: Nope. Can't.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Green and herbal tea exclusively.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I didn't really switch. I left out the most common cereals with the coeliac, then noticed that I was cross reacting with pseudo cereals as well, so I cut those out too. I'm just eating what feels good and makes sense and tastes good. I guess my motivation is personal health. There's a lot of basic genetic fail in our family, and a lot of unhappiness that I know could be avoided through taking care of yourself mentally, physically and spiritually and I think I owe it to myself and everyone else to be good to myself.

Favorite exercise: Currently HIIT. I actually really like burpees. Nordic walking is pretty kick ass too.

Favorite Primal food:
                      Food. Food is good.

Best part about being Primal: Dunno yet. What's the best part about being alive?

Worst part about being Primal: I still dislike using "primal" as a term when it's just "normal" to me. So the worst part of eating "normal" is that I know it's good for me and I know I'm darn healthy and it makes me very sad that my normal isn't more normal for everyone.
                      Last edited by BrainInABody; 10-24-2013, 07:08 AM.
                      My diary comics
                      My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

• Originally posted by BrainInABody View Post
                        ...it makes me very sad that my normal isn't more normal for everyone.
                        I hear you. I went out for my lunchtime walk just now. Admittedly to the shopping centre rather than a nice green woodland, but that's all there is near where I work unfortunately. And nearly every person I saw had some ailment, whether it was skin problems, joint/mobility problems, obesity, or they just looked exhausted, and it made me feel partly sad, partly angry at CW for breaking people in this way. How can people just presume illness and pain is normal? That nature (or God if that's what you believe) could get the human race so wrong but all the other animals 'right'. How do people not notice that life shouldn't be like that?
                        This is all just opinion. And it will have probably changed by this time tomorrow. Don't quote me on anything.

Comment

• Location: Traveling hiatus---in the US right now and staying with some friends in Colorado. I'm headed to England soon to travel about, though.

How Primal are you: Strictly primal if you don't count the few months after I fell off the train. I guess this depends on your definition of primal, though.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but only raw dairy.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I gave up coffee two weeks ago after more than a decade of use and I couldn't be happier. I drink one or two cups of green tea per day.

Motivator for switching to Primal: After reading Mark's Daily Apple and a few other things online, it just seemed the sensible way to eat. It makes sense to me and clicked better than any way of eating ever has.

Favorite exercise: HIIT---I make up my own workouts sometimes, but generally, I do Crossfit or Zuzka Light's workouts. Or, running up hills, hard labor with heavy tools.

Favorite Primal food: Anything I kill myself. Grass-fed steak is more common, though. It's hard to kill an elk an subsist on it when you're always traveling.

Best part about being Primal: My mind feels sharper and my memory has improved exponentially. Also, I have more energy and maintain a healthy weight effortlessly when I'm eating 100% primal.

Worst part about being Primal: Explaining that processed food is bad to the sheeple and being met with "I've been eating Taco Bell a few times per week for years and I'm not dead!" or "But I'm eating whole-wheat bread and pasta! It's good for me!"
                          My journal is here.
                          This link is mostly for my own reference, but I record my meal plans each day and general ramblings if anyone's interested.

Comment

• @MightyWindmill: There is that. And the notion that eating for health, not just for pleasure and sustenance, is so alien. I'm not one to go preaching to people how to live their lives or what to eat, when they haven't asked for my opinion. It's not productive and it's disrespecting their right to absolute control over their own lives. But when it comes down to people that are close to you, who you love dearly, it's hard not to ache when they get very sick over and over again, go through treatments and never once even consider that they might at least support their health with a little shift in their diet. :/
                            My diary comics
                            My fitness inspiration blog

Comment

• Originally posted by BrainInABody View Post
                              There is that. And the notion that eating for health, not just for pleasure and sustenance, is so alien. I'm not one to go preaching to people how to live their lives or what to eat, when they haven't asked for my opinion. It's not productive and it's disrespecting their right to absolute control over their own lives. But when it comes down to people that are close to you, who you love dearly, it's hard not to ache when they get very sick over and over again, go through treatments and never once even consider that they might at least support their health with a little shift in their diet. :/
                              I'm always telling myself that I need to see food as fuel, not as a reward or pleasurable thing. I know just what you mean!

I don't preach, but when it comes to friends, I'll tell them I eat a strict diet and try to leave it at that. When they poke and prod, buy me food that I can't/don't eat, want to stop for food when we're out and then ask me to explain why I won't eat with them, I do try, though.

I've grown so sick of explaining how I eat and why to people I care for that I just buy them a copy of The Primal Blueprint. If they read it and it clicks, great! If not, oh well.
                              Last edited by Mideia; 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM. Reason: Grammar
                              My journal is here.
                              This link is mostly for my own reference, but I record my meal plans each day and general ramblings if anyone's interested.

Comment

• Your location: Long Island NY

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: I would say I'm mostly primal.

Do you consume dairy: I do consume dairy but I try to be selective about it. I have yogurt made from grass fed cows and a bit of regular whole milk in my coffee unless I can get grass fed whole milk or hemp milk. Once in a while I will have a salad with goat cheese or maybe Gorgonzola, but that is few and far between.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I have at least 1-2 cups of coffee a day with raw sugar and either hemp milk/grass fed whole milk/regular whole milk.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I had lost about 65lb a few years ago and have since put most of it back on and while looking back at my notes that I kept while loosing the weight initially I realized that I was actually following a primal lifestyle so I wanted to get back to the point that I had felt the best.

Favorite exercise: Dead lifts, no question.

Favorite Primal food: Meat!!! and Bacon...

Best part about being Primal: Not feeling toxic and lethargic.

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to find a restaurant that can serve quality meat and vegetables.

I have been reading the site for a few months and thought it was time that i jumped in.

Comment

Working...
                                X