Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started with PB about 4 weeks ago after seeing MDA on another forum I frequent. I read through a lot of the primers and PB 101 info and it made a lot of sense. I have an ectomorphic body type and am looking to add mass to my frame. I am currently at 5’11”, 136 lbs, 10% BF. Just four weeks ago when I changed to this WOE, I was at 140.5 lb, 12 % BF. Those BF readings are with my Tanita scale, so I don’t trust the accuracy, but should give a relative measure. The weight loss was not intentional and is a combo of starting to get back into regular exercise and feeling more satiated by eating more fat, thus probably eating less calories.

Some history: I have always been skinny. Around 2005 I really wanted to bulk up so I started regularly lifting weights and upping my caloric intake. I got up to almost 175 lbs and significantly increased my squat, deadlift, and bench strength. By the end, I was eating nearly 4000 calories a day to gain .5-1 lb a week. Large quantities of fat, carbs, and protein. I put on a significant amount of fat in addition to muscle, and experienced frequent bloating, gas, and snoring issues. I later started doing Crossfit style workouts and frequent mountain biking and lost a lot of the weight. I later stopped most weight lifting and focused on endurance mountain bike racing and half marathoning and lost even more weight. Since I had kids (3 YO and 1 YO), my exercising has become very irregular and I am now looking to change that, put on some lean mass, and stop being skinny fat.

The Questions:

Your location: Maryland

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: 80-90%

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Half and half, butter, cheeses, cottage cheese, milk, full fat Greek yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, 1 cup of tea most afternoons

Motivator for switching to Primal: General health and increased energy. Set a good example for my kids. Gain lean mass.

Favorite exercise: Trail Running and Mountain Biking

Favorite Primal food: Meat, fish, a lot of veggies. I’ve never been a picky eater.

Best part about being Primal: More energy and better sleep. Feeling stronger.

Worst part about being Primal: Expense and I need to become more efficient in meal planning/prep.

Comment

• Chop wood :: Carry water

'ello, all,

Even though I'm a long-time reader of MDA and like–minded blogs and listen to The Paleo Solution podcast, I just got The Primal Blueprint and am now in the midst of reading it. Been eating cleaner for six months, or so, and am recently paying even more attention to the quality of my food. I quit smoking three weeks ago and feel pretty incredible.

I'm 5'7" (170cm) and 125 lbs. (56.7 kg), so I'm not concerned about losing weight—just tired of being weak and skinny–fat. Haven't been measured for body fat percentage, but I'm sure it's disappointing.

The Questions:

Your location: Jackson Purchase region in Kentucky, United States

How Primal are you: 60-80%

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but I tend to swing in-and-out of it, depending upon what my body tells me. Whole milk, butter (of course), soft cheeses, sour cream, and full-fat Greek yogurt.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. Black coffee and some green tea (both regular & decaf, hot or cold-brewed)

Motivator for switching to Primal: My motives are controlling arthritis pain and inflammation, increased energy, stamina, and focus, losing IBS symptoms, getting sexier, and getting swole.

Favorite exercise: Running, but I quit because of osteoarthritis. (I hope that Paleo will give me a few extra years before I have to get a knee replacement.) Hiking and canoeing rock my face off, but I don't get the opportunity very often. So I walk (**yawn**) and am starting a home exercise routine with body weight, dumbbells, and stability balls. Cycling is another favorite; however, to get any speed or get into The Zone, I have to drive my bicycle away from town to get away from the stop signs/lights and cagers. Mostly use my bike on an indoor stationary fluid trainer (**double-yawn**.) Someone just opened a kettlebell club within walking distance of me, so I'll try that out soon.

Favorite Primal food: Grilled steak, sautéed kale, cooking with coconut oil, and I will go all Edie–from–Pink Flamingos on some eggs.

Best part about being Primal:
      • Really listening to my body and being rewarded for it.
      • Feeling great and having increased energy.
      • Having something to look forward to: a longer, healthier life.
      • Coconut oil: I can eat it and smear it on my skin and hair—at the same time if I want to!

Worst part about being Primal:
      • Learned to make decent bread last month, but I won't be doing that very often anymore.
      • I thought I'd really miss my dark beers, but I haven't had much of an urge to drink any sort of alcohol for quite some time.
      • Quitting smoking has been easy compared to what it will be like if I ever cut cola out of my life. I've been mixing fresh citrus with soda water in an effort to reduce the amount of Coca-Cola I drink every day.

Reading the introductions inspires me and I look forward to reading more of the rest of the forum. Thanks, everyone, for this network.

Comment

• Your location: Alaska

Age (If you want): 54

How Primal are you: Not very right now. I've had some issues that I need to research to move on.

Do you consume dairy: Yes but only heavy cream, some full fat cheeses, & Kerrygold butter

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, love my coffee but not much of a tea drinker.

Motivator for switching to Primal: To be healthier, reduce inflammation.

Favorite exercise: Walking, squats, ball crunches, & a few weight lifting exercises.

Favorite Primal food: Eggs & beef

Best part about being Primal: Not being hungry & reduced swelling in my extremities (when I am low carb)

Worst part about being Primal: Horrible & bizarre dreams plus crying - A LOT!

This last issue has side-lined me but only temporarily until I can find the problem. It's not a carb problem - I think carbs have just masked the issue for 20 some years (I can trace this problem back that far). Looking into absorption issues, pancreatic enzymes, low stomach acid, B6 supplements among other options but still looking for answers & hoping someone has them here!

Please let me know if you have any ideas! I'm open to options!

Comment

• Your location: Salobrena Spain. Overlooking the Med.

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: Not at all. I've been looking for some answers for a while now and I read an article about a BBC fasting program where the presenter fasted for 2 days of the week. One of the comments on the article mentioned Doug McGuff and watching a Youtube video he in turn mentioned Mark Sissons, so here I am.

Do you consume dairy: Yes. But I can easily cut this down.

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes, tea, lots of it. I love it. Its my favourite drink. Strong. 1 teaspoon of sugar and milk.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Well. Heres the thing. I'm not sure. I exercise daily. I push myself on runs, play tennis, but I never shift the belly fat. Dont get me wrong, I'm no way enormous, but even when I was playing football to a fairly high standard, I always had a, well, lets say, covering. I dont eat bundles, I eat loads of fruit, I dont drink to excess, in fact, properly well less than 10 units each week, yet, I still have a gut. So somethings wrong and I'm looking for answers. Primal might not be it! But I'm hoping it is.

Favorite exercise: Running. I dont do gyms.

Favorite Primal food: Whats a primal food? :-) I am a newbie, but I'm a great meat eater.

Best part about being Primal: Lets see!

Worst part about being Primal: Again lets see.... But I think it will be giving up grains. I have corn flakes most morning. Easy, can give them up and replace with an omlette. No problem. But Bread. Love it! If its bad fro me, then it makes sense to give it up , but it will be hard. Pasta, again, probably my meal of choice, so giving up the grain is going to be hard. But I'm more than willing to give it a go.

I'm sure the right place for questions is in another part of the forum so will take a browse. I must say I find just the info on this website overwhelming, so its difficult to know where to start, but hey, I'm diving in!

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location:I live in Ireland ,in the north of the island

Age (If you want):43

How Primal are you:I have just started .Its hard ,I live at home with my wife and family they are not convinced about this diet and will be hard to convince the food that is brought into the house is what we would call .'crap'.I find myself going out most evenings shopping for myself.I am on the first rung of the ladder

Do you consume dairy:yes

Do you drink coffee or tea;I drink green tea

Motivator for switching to Primal:I have always been a healthy eater ,when I came across Mark and his book I was convinced

Favorite exercise:cycling

Favorite Primal food:stake

Best part about being Primalon't know yet

Worst part about being Primal:I have to shop for myself,oh well Grok had to gather and hunt for his,I just have to go down to the shops

Comment

• Your location: Ontario, Canada

Age (If you want): 43

How Primal are you: 80%

Do you consume dairy: minimal

Do you drink coffee or tea: still enjoy my 2 cups of coffee per day

Motivator for switching to Primal: dropping 30 lbs.

Favorite exercise: cycling

Favorite Primal food: meat's OK so too many to list

Best part about being Primal: bacon

Worst part about being Primal: trying to eat out - primal meals few on most menus

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Pennsylvania

Age (If you want):47

How Primal are you: I think 95-100%

Do you consume dairy:No

Do you drink coffee or tea:yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: startedd out for weight loss, now there are so many other good reasons to continue.

Favorite exercise:Kettlebells

Favorite Primal food:steak

Best part about being Primal: I feel great ALL DAY, and my PMS symptoms are gone

Worst part about being Primal:all the shopping that is involved

Comment

How primal are you? Depends... Gluten free and dairy free... Been on and off grain for many years since we daughter was born with a sensitivity, and when we cut back I learned it is negative effects on me. Now my new son requires me to be both gluten free and dairy free for breast feeding. Want to go fully primal, but not sure how to negotiate that with the rest of my family. Have been n nut based diet previously, but that is difficult with a breast feeding son with many allergies.

Do you consume dairy: not anymore; however, I just fractured my spine, and the powers that be are in part wondering it that has to do with my dairy free diet. I do take a high quality calcium supplement, but who knows.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink one cup of tea a day- I love tea. This will be really hard to give up.

Motivator to switch to primal: my children's issues and my own with grain in particular,

Favorite exercise: walking, yoga, horseback riding.

Favorite primal food: steak

Best part about being primal: energy levels

Worst part about being primal: difficult to do when family is not.

Comment

• Your location: far north Queensland, Australia

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: partly...

Do you consume dairy: Yes definitely (biodynamic organic pasteurised products, and butter. And cream yummmm)

Do you drink coffee or tea: not currently

Motivator for switching to Primal: I gained 6 kgs (approx 15 pounds?) in my first trimester of this pregnancy (number 2 pregnancy) and was already approx 10 kgs over ideal weight to start with. I had read the 4 hr body (which didn't resonate with me at all) but in my search for yummy 'slow carb' recipes, I discovered a girls blog who mentioned she had switched over to the PB. I read the book... It made sense and fitted with my own philosophy of eating (I believe in eating fat, just didn't realise what happened when I ate it with domesticated grasses) showed it to my husband who got on board, which makes things very easy!

Favorite exercise: at the moment my main exercise is walking but I'm thinking of switching to swimming as I'm getting sciatic pain 3rd trimester joy

Favorite Primal food: um meat of course! Lamb cutlets with thevfat on or a good scotch fillet.

Best part about being Primal: I feel amazing and have heaps of energy. My husband feels 10 years younger I also love guilt free butter on all my vege

Worst part about being Primal: finding meals in the menu that fit when eating out. also, I find with being pregnant I need more carbs than a completely primal diet would have, so I eat mandarins, pineapples etc (in season) at least on sugary fruit a day keeps the sugar monster at bay.

Comment

• Your location:Germany, the world's youngest city

Age (If you want):

How Primal are you:Since 2months - very

Do you consume dairy:nope

Do you drink coffee or tea:coffee every morning, green tea sometimes

Motivator for switching to Primal: None needed, I've been primal basically all my life, just didn't know it

Favorite exercise: Everything stomach-muscles-related. I'd spend hours in the gym just working on my tummy, and there is nothing like the pain afterwards when you try to laugh Love it!

Favorite Primal food: no favourites

Best part about being Primal: Feeling so freakin' good about your body!

Worst part about being Primal: the 10-15min with the menu at a restaurant, everytime, my friends hate me for that

So much for the basics.

I found Mark's blog by a chance just recently and it is amazing how I couldn't agree more about the primal way of life. I remember hating the milk my parents gave me when I was already a little older, probably too old to drink the freakin thing, how I always craved meat, and even just now, that I havent had any meat today, even after a big breakfast, major brunch I still feel Im hungry (gonna go hunting for some fat piece of meat soon. I've also always said that I can feel how my body is telling me what I really want to eat because that is in fact what I need. Like some fruit after a meal, and not sugary desserts. Like a green tea instead of soda. Meat instead of bread and fresh, tasty veggies instead of canned sh..., a fresh orange juice of fruit cocktail at work instead of a candy bar to get some energy.

I don't need a diet (am extremely slim and tall) so every time I tell people I dont eat this and that coz Im doing this diet now, they look at me concerned (I hate that) - "but you need to eat"!.
                      I'd rather eat a small piece of really good (though expensive) meat, with a portion of veggies, than a bowl of spaghetti. If you eat well, you dont need much!

I have been really thin all my life, although there were times when I gained a little weight (guess where that came from?. Right now I started to really pay attention to what Im eating. And I can see within minutes, if what I bought was good quality food. You just either feel great after a meal or you feel like you wanna puke. Fast foods make me nauseous. So does sugar and desserts. I learned to watch my body‘s reaction to what I see and usually it tells me within seconds if I REALLY want that or not.

Comment

• I am in Cyprus and in my fifties. I am only just learning about Paleo, but heard about it a year or so ago. I have insulin resistance and hypothyroid - I eat what is norally called "healthy" but am consideering switching to Paleo to try and improve insulin resistance and also to lose weight. I have a lot of belly fat which I want to try and shift.I have previously been on conventional "diets" but am unable to lose weight, even with few carbs. Find this very frustrating after being slim for years, and hope this will be the beginning of a new chapter for getting healthy again.
                        The Paleo diet seems to make sense from what I have read about it. I have an office job and am sat down for most of six days a week. Will look forward to looking at the forums both for info and for some friendly support.

Comment

• Hey Everyone! I'm SUPER excited to be living Primal and to get started in the forums.

Kirk

Your location: Chattanooga, TN

Age (If you want): 52

How Primal are you: 10 weeks - fully in!

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee, yes!

Motivator for switching to Primal: 30lbs of fat!

Favorite exercise: sprints

Favorite Primal food: salad with grilled chicken

Best part about being Primal: the weight loss and the lack of fluctuating moods and energy levels

Worst part about being Primal: I wish I had known about this a long time ago. When I think about the
                          injuries I caused myself working out...wow.

Comment

• Hi!

Started primal 7/15/2012 for a few reasons including a vain reason. 1)I was diagnosed with breast cancer 5/11/12 with the best outlook possible. I have had a lumpectomy, radiation treatment, and now on tamoxifen. 2)I was diagnosed with Celiac disease 5/21/12. Who knew? I have only had neurological problems and eczema, never gastrointesitnal. 3) I bought a dress to wear to a wedding that barely fit.

I lost 5 lbs. the first two weeks and yes the dress fit better. Currently I am down 13 lbs. and I feel great. I plan to go to my PCP in November to check my lipid numbers, Vit. D level, Vit. B12 level, and IgA level.

It is great to be here

Comment

• Your location: Ifrane, Morocco (I'm studying abroad here.)

Age (If you want): 20

How Primal are you: Just starting

Do you consume dairy: Rarely

Do you drink coffee or tea: Espresso and Moroccan Mint Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Get in shape and become healthier to pursue my fitness related goals. And LGN.

Favorite exercise: Lifting Heavy Things

Favorite Primal food: Steak and Eggs

Best part about being Primal: The way I feel when eating Primal

Worst part about being Primal: Garlic Cheese Bread and Pizza

Comment

• Your location: Lake Macquarie, NSW Australia

Age (If you want): 60

How Primal are you: Maybe 75%, for only one month. No legumes, no grains at all, limited fruit, no added sugar, no addded salt, lots of herbs and greens, carrots, berries

Do you consume dairy: only yoghurt- pot set, unsweetened. Very small amount of milk in tea from time to time

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: my 34 year old son's obvious improved health and fitness. He too had a lifetime of gut problems- always felt a bit guilty about my genes which I had so freely shared with him. His excursion into primal was my starting point.

Favorite exercise: oh dear... I am a bit lazy. Been so tested the last couple of week as I have struggled with a nasty dose of influenza and nice little side kick sinus infection. All clearing up nicely but it has left me a little bit depleted. Good excuse for those who are not into regular sport. But I do love walking for maybe a couple of hours,slow swimming for about 30 minutes, and I enjoy kayaking on the lake. But nothing for too long other than walking, or for too hard- the costs have been way too high for me [exhaustion, sore joints etc} hoping primal makes the difference.

Favorite Primal food: tuna, macadamias, cos lettuce. I know I have eaten too many nuts- feel a bit nutty

Best part about being Primal: not sure yet but I am hoping for improved energy and strength and hopefullky a bit of weight loss

Worst part about being Primal: also not sure yet... seems pretty good. Might be a downside socially, but in that we live slightly hermit like lives, it proably will not be tested too often.

Comment

Working...
                                X