• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Nashville, TN

Age (If you want): 50-something

How Primal are you: Just learning, probably 50%

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but only raw from known sources

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea, but only fermented (kombucha)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Trying yet ANOTHER way to lose the 100 pounds I've gained and lost seven times in the last 20 years.

Favorite exercise: Dancing!!

Favorite Primal food: Homemade butter from grassfed cows on March grass!!

Best part about being Primal: I get to eat my favorite foods

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to reconcile evolutionary principles with my intelligent design beliefs.
    please be patient with me, i'm a newbie.

Comment

• Name: Shirley

Your location: UK

Age (If you want):53

How Primal are you: Not at all but interested in the concept.

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes both

Motivator for switching to Primal: Am reading The Primal Blueprint & am very interested in the arguments given for this type of lifestyle. I have Type 2 diabetes & am wondering how this condition will be affected?improved by a change.

Favorite exercise: Zumba

Favorite Primal food: ?

Best part about being Primal: Seems to be a healthier more natural diet.

Worst part about being Primal: Maybe no bread but I haven't tried going without it yet!

Hello all.
      Am reading The Primal Blueprint which I find very interesting. Having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year I was advised to eat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) in order that the blood glucose levels do not rise too far. These foods will also maintain fullness for longer. Low GI foods include pulses, porridge (oatmeal), wholemeal bread etc which in the Primal diet are excluded. Can anyone who has type 2 diabetes tell me what changes they made to their diets to become "Primal?"
      Looking forward to replies & any advice.
      Thank you
      Shirl (UK).

Comment

• Your location: Ohio, United States

Age (If you want): 49..50 in July

How Primal are you: maybe 90%? I want to be 100%--that's my goal!

Do you consume dairy: I've had a little cheese here and there, and some Fage full-fat greek yogurt (delicious--funny, I've never been a fan of yogurt before)

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink tea (unsweetened for years now) often and coffee occasionally. I prefer it black, but have tried it with heavy cream lately and that's delicious. Now, I need to find a subsitute for the chai lattes that I'd become addicted to. I've given them up completely.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to be lean, fit, strong, healthy ....and I need to lose 45 pounds. At least 30 of which I gained thanks to 3 rounds of prednisone () and the rest from the SAD and CW regarding health (yeah, I loved my oatmeal in the morning) and a very sedentary job (I'm planning on getting out of that--it's completely unsatisfying beyond the sedentary aspect of it). I had a baby at 42, and all of these things happened since then...but I think it's more the SAD/CW catching up, combined with traditional medicine. I have no other health issues---I'm not on any medications. My weight is my only major health concern.

Favorite exercise: walking, weight lifting, stretching, dancing

Favorite Primal food: avocado...wait maybe it's steak. And scrambled eggs made in butter. Yum!

Best part about being Primal: even though I haven't lost much weight yet (I've strayed enough that I think that's why), I feel more energetic, clearheaded, not bloated, and more alive. It's amazing!

Worst part about being Primal: no chocolate chip cookies! (or sweets in general..as in baked goods). I do fine with a little bit of dark chocolate and a little wine, though! That has a luxurious feel to it...much better reward than a sugary baked treat. I've noticed that when I have had a taste of those, they don't appeal to me anymore. So, no more tastes, right?

Comment

• Hello there people

Your Location: UK

Age - 28

Do you consume dairy - a little double cream in coffee and butter

Do you drink coffee - yep in the morning

Motivator for going primal - after training for years and not really seeing any change thought id give it a go, also like the theories behind it

Favorite exercise: Anything on a TRX, walking, sprints

Favourite Primal food - ground beef chillie, or steak

Best part about being primal: ii have been doing it for 8 weeks now and although i have had a couple of cheats of 1 non primal meal a week, i have already lost 2% body fat and i am staring to feel fitter, i used to have colds all the time but touch wood non yet!

Worst part about being primal - has to be no chocolate hob nobs

Comment

• Your location: South Carolina
            Age (If you want): 44

How Primal are you: Pretty much 100%

Do you consume dairy: No, but am considering an occasional yogurt.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Never liked tea, still love coffee. Used to drink it with a lot of creamer and sugar, now just almond milk.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My wife tested as diabetic, so we started getting into low-carb. Primal just made so much sense, that we decided to go whole hog, kids (and new puppies) too.

Favorite exercise: Sitting down? I actually like to play basketball, but have a bad knee. We are getting ready to do a lot of swimming.

Favorite Primal food: Steak, bacon, & more. Cauliflower rice, which is amazingly close to regular rice.

Best part about being Primal: Can't stop at just one: Feeling good, looking good, and increased energy. A couple of days ago I was literally hopping, I had so much energy. I don't think I've done that since I was a tween (and that was before they had even coined that term).

Worst part about being Primal: The foods & drinks I love that I have to give up. Beer and pizza especially.

Comment

• Hello! I've been reading about this Primal thing for a few months and just haven't yet gotten the nerve to dive in. I've recently had to change my diet because of my hiatal hernia so I'm hoping I'll find some inspiration here to help get me on this path.

Your location: Texas

Age (If you want): 29

How Primal are you: Going to try start strong.

Do you consume dairy: I could do without all dairy, but I'm going to be mourning cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Mainly wanting to lose weight and help get relief with my hiatal hernia.

Favorite exercise: Running.

Favorite Primal food: Bacon!

Best part about being Primal: Bacon!

Worst part about being Primal: I'm pretty much a bean burrito addict. I will miss them greatly.

Comment

• Your location: southern new england

Age (If you want): 49 days shy of 50

How Primal are you: gettin' pretty darn primal

Do you consume dairy: a few times a week,plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese; though trying to trim that down.

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee black

Motivator for switching to Primal: craving a leaner body(one with fewer aches and pains than i have become accustom to,) a more focused mind

Favorite exercise: coming down from being an obsessive cardio junkie -- so i'm not certain what my fave exercise is right now.

Favorite Primal food: cow and lamb

Best part about being Primal: no carb slumps!

Worst part about being Primal: not sure yet. it's only been 12 days.

Comment

• Hello Fellow Primals!

Age 54

How Primal?
                  Just got the books a couple of weeks ago and am finishing my first week eating this way! All is good.

Do I consume dairy?:
                  Right now I am doing raw cheese (approx. an ounce/day, half and half (max. 2T/day). I plan to have full fat milk on Sundays (might have to cut it out since I feel I am addicted to it!)

Do you drink coffee or tea?
                  I love coffee (I use water processed, organic, decaf) more than tea, I am limiting my consumption to 1-2 cups/day.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
                  To blast into oblivion all the fat I have in problems spots and the extra weight. Want to look lean and would love to have a body fat index lower than 20.

Favorite exercise:
                  A little of everything, weights, karate, yoga, treadmill.

Favorite Primal food:
                  Chocolate, rich desserts (of course haven't made any recipes from the books yet!)

Best part about being Primal:
                  Having energy, eating well and losing weight!

Worst part about being Primal:
                  No carbs breaks.

Comment

• Hi all! Great thread!

Your location: Western Arctic, Canada

Age (If you want): 38 years old

How Primal are you: 80%

Do you consume dairy: I do some greek yogurt 2-3 times a week and cheese (mainly parma) occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yep.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I started off doing the Slow Carb Diet (SCD) outlined in the 4 Hour Body to get rid of some flab that crept up on me during my 30's. I also was dealing with crazy energy peaks and crashes that were dictating my life. On the SCD, I also got rid of grains totally from my diet as it was apparent I was reacting to them horribly during my Cheat Days. My Cheat Days looked like PB diet so it was a natural transition. I'd rather have berries than beans :P
                    Now that I'm at my goal BF%, I'm looking to get stronger.

Favorite exercise: Walking, x-country skiing, kayaking, hiking, anything that gets me outdoors

Favorite Primal food: Sashimi. I also eat a lot of game meat. Oh yeah, and coconut anything.YUM!

Best part about being Primal: Stable, high energy levels! I can go for hours without eating and not turn into a zombie. Love it! I also love that my taste buds and body have recalibrated to enjoying real, whole foods.

Worst part about being Primal: At this point, it's all good.
                    “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” — Seneca

Comment

• Your location: Stockholm, Sweden

Age (If you want): 43

How Primal are you: More and more each week

Do you consume dairy: Yes, Turkish Yoghurt on occasion

Do you drink coffee or tea: Just tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Tired of being fat and looking like a bag of crap and feeling like it too

Favorite exercise: Just treadmill walk/run so far

Favorite Primal food: Bacon and meat in general

Best part about being Primal: Makes me feel good

Worst part about being Primal: Haven't found one yet. Maybe friends and coworkers not understanding it

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: USA

Age (If you want): 60

How Primal are you: Just ordered books, shakes and supplements today

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: I lost 45 lbs. on South Beach and was happy. Somehow I lost my way and began eating like my old lifestye. I decided to try primal because a friend just started it and thought we can help one another. I also thought primal sounded a bit like South Beach (which I know works). With primal, I hope to eat healthy again and drop 45 lbs. (again).

Favorite exercise: lifting weights (hate to "bounce around")

Favorite Primal food: meat

Best part about being Primal: don't know yet

Worst part about being Primal: don't know that yet either

Comment

• Location: Southeast Pennsylvania, outside of Philadelphia

How Primal: Modified Primal at the mo., but shifting fully (consume some rice)

Consume Dairy: Yes - fermented/cultured dairy -dairy with little to no lactose

Coffee or Tea: The occassional French press organic swiss water process decaf and yes some tea

Motivator for switching primal: Knew my body felt best eating this way and it just makes sense given the facts/science/studies

Favorite Exercise: Kettlebells & Dance

Favorite Primal Food: Fats, seafood & BACON!

Best part about being primal: Feel amazing, regulated blood sugar, satisfied!

Worst part about being primal: nothing really other than it's inconvenient to eat in public and at social gatherings - mainly because people don't get it.

Comment

• Name: Chelsea

Your location: Near Orlando, Fl

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: Not Primal yet, getting there. I just went gluten free a week ago and a friend told me about this way of life and I'm seriously interested, just have to make the leap! I should get my PB book in the next few days!

Do you consume dairy: Nope, lactose intolerant.

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: A lot of things but mainly I'm tired of feeling like crap all the time. I will be working with the elderly and in all my studies in school I constantly read about chronic diseases and how debilitating they are. I don't want to live my life like that when I'm older...or now. I want to be free of illness in life.

Favorite exercise: I do the Beachbody programs: P90X, Insanity, Insanity: The Asylum, Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme, etc. I've recentely quit smoking (7 weeks ago) and started running and really love it!

Favorite Primal food: We'll since I'm not Primal yet I'll just go with most fruits or a good steak w/ mushrooms!

Best part about being Primal: Not sure yet but I'd imagine it would be the whole being healthy part and possibly being the weight I want to be at.

Worst part about being Primal: We'll I grew up on carbs. I used to eat, sleep and breathe them! So the worst part will be the occasional (or often at first) "craving" or urge for carbs. Eventually that will go away though. Once I'm past the beginning I'd say the worst part would be explaining it to people or catching crap for it. People have a hard time understanding or accepting the choice to live a healthy lifestyle especially if it seems extreme from the "norm"

Comment

• Your location: Southern California

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: Probably 90/10 but fell off the wagon a few days the past few weeks because I had zero energy

Do you consume dairy: Some butter when I get the craving, and cream cheese. Rarely milk or cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee, way too much coffee.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Having more energy and taking better care of myself without resorting to extreme amounts of cardio. I suffer from chronic cardio, and I'm trying to reduce my exercise addiction, because 2 hours of intense cardio daily is no way to live.

Favorite exercise: Stairmaster (not very primal, but hey, nobody's perfect)

Favorite Primal food: Almonds

Best part about being Primal: Knowing I'm taking good care of myself

Worst part about being Primal: Not being able to eat Honey Bunches of Oats with milk
                              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

• Your location: Kansas

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: 85/15 (and started IFing a couple of weeks ago with GREAT results so far)

Do you consume dairy: yes, cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: mainly tea, coffee infrequently

Motivator for switching to Primal: Pre-primal, I was becoming more "skinny fat" everyday. I did not want to let myself go and embrace the "inevitable" spare tire. I wanted to feel strong again and of course LGN for my hot wife!

Favorite exercise: cross-country running, but I have cut WAY back on that in order to reduce inflamation. I am currently doing lots of body weight and weighted heavy-lifting.

Favorite Primal foods: Scottish meatballs, avacados, and bacon, DUH!

Best part about being Primal: knowledge

Worst part about being Primal: controlling my tongue when presented with an oppotunity to speak about all the garbage I used to eat (and that others around me continue to eat). Knowledge is power, and I am striving to find the balance between sharing knowledge in order to empower others and beating them over the head with facts they are not ready to accept.

Comment

Working...
                                X