This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age (If you want): I don't want, but 44

How Primal are you: 100% so far (2 weeks)

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Chronic itchy skin, fatigue, basic health problems

Favorite exercise: All

Favorite Primal food: Steak strips and eggs; coconut oil stir fried chicken, broccoli, garlic, peppers; cucumbers;

Best part about being Primal: Having tried so many things over the years, I am stunned at how successful this has been, so far.

Worst part about being Primal: Hard to think of anything. If I had to pick, it would be that I am extremely sensitive to even the smallest mistake. So far, there have been two. Tuna fish (which had "vegetable broth" in it). And cheap bacon (was my first foray into bacon since going primal). Paid a price for both, but because I am feeling so full of energy and so good overall, the feeling I got from each stood out like a sore thumb (very itchy, nausea, insta-fatigue etc.).

Comment

• Your location: Lincolnshire, UK

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: 100%, I hope

Do you consume dairy: Yes, in moderation

Do you drink coffee or tea: 1 cup a day (down from 8-10)

Motivator for switching to Primal: At 32 I felt my extending list of ailments needed addressing as a whole rather than treated individually with drugs.

Favorite exercise: Cycling and playing with my dog

Favorite Primal food: Eggs from my hens

Best part about being Primal: I feel great. There are things that have disappeared that I didn't even know were wrong with me - like acid reflux and joint pain - that have just gone. And it's only been a week.

Worst part about being Primal: Oh I do love bread...

Comment

• hello, new to primal, new to forums...just new

Your location: England, in the middle

Age (If you want):35

How Primal are you: not very, just starting out

Do you consume dairy: yes i do, and will be finding stopping milk consumption tricky

Do you drink coffee or tea:yes to both

Motivator for switching to Primal: overweight, bloating when eat breads, previous vegetarian.

Favorite exercise: swimming and hiking

Favorite Primal food: rib eye steak, looking forward to experimenting with lots of new foods (bone marrow asap)

Best part about being Primal: energy, mess when eating

Worst part about being Primal: living with a veggie that wont allow meat cooking in house :-(

Comment

• Your location: Central Florida

Age (If you want): 19

How Primal are you: 80%

Do you consume dairy: Sometimes

Do you drink coffee or tea: No

Motivator for switching to Primal: Getting healthy

Favorite exercise: I like to go hiking and play soccer.

Favorite Primal food: Turkey

Best part about being Primal: I have only been primal for a month now and I've noticed an increase in energy.

Worst part about being Primal: Nothing so far.

Comment

• Your location: North Wales, UK.

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: As Primal as I can be.....I began my changes on 14th March 2012. My partner has followed me along this path as I am the main chef in the house. My daughter is still a bit funny with what she thinks are new foods.

Do you consume dairy: A little; occasional milk in tea, some cheese on rare occasions.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both in moderation, especially since giving up sugar.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss and to lower my LDL.....eeek!!!

Favorite exercise: Deadlift.......I used to powerlift until I got to University.

Favorite Primal food: Turnips. I had no idea they were so amazing!!!

Best part about being Primal: I have lost some weight already and feel fewer aches and pains; torn rotator cuff and sciatica

Worst part about being Primal:
            1. It's very very difficult finding decent quality ingerdients in this part of the UK sometimes.
            2. A stubborn 2 year old who is reluctant to eat new foods. This will change sooner or later though.
            3. Expensive at times....good quality meat is a bit on the expensive side here.

Comment

• Hola friends! First post, but have been reading the boards and site for a couple months.

Your location: Current location is Pittsburgh, PA. Just moved here from Charleston, SC. Hoping not to be here too long actually!

Age (If you want): 24

How Primal are you: Not as much as I'd like to be. That's why I finally decided to join the forums. Maybe get some accountability going on. I don't exercise as often as I'd like to, and I far-too-often binge like crazy on junk food... pizza and ice cream are my weaknesses... it seems as if I eat even the slightest amount of grains/refined carbs/etc. that cravings for those items will overtake me and I eat ungodly amounts of them. Nevertheless, I am quite skinny and have trouble putting on weight. Years ago I was into bodybuilding and was up to 190+ lbs, but I am back to around 150 or so. I'd like to be around 175 maybe.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, small to moderate amounts of raw milk, and raw cheese at times.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No

Motivator for switching to Primal: I learned about the Paleo diet a couple years back while searching for natural alleviations for depression. Paleo and Primal seem to coexist if not coincide. My diet, at its best, is raw paleo with dairy. I don't go for the "primal-friendly starches" or dark chocolate. Raw meats and organs, dairy, fruits, and veg. Mostly fermented veggies.

Favorite exercise: Pullups and dips

Favorite Primal food: sashimi! and sauerkraut! and steak!

Best part about being Primal: When I stick to it 100%, the boundless energy and mental clarity, and just the feeling of healthiness and positivity

Worst part about being Primal: Social limitations

well that's the questionnaire! see you around the boards
              I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Comment

• Your location: Alexandria, VA...hit me up if you are a North Virginia hiker!!!

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: I do make primal treats, which some people consider "not paleo enough" but in my opinion it is still better than the alternative

Do you consume dairy: Occasionally, butter is the only regular dairy we consume but we will have some yogurt or cheese from time to time

Do you drink coffee or tea: Mostly tea, lots of green, mate, hibiscus, and chamomile with the occasional cup of coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was holding onto some weight after recovering from an eating disorder, and trying to lose it was pushing me back into disordered eating patterns. Any type of dieting or counting of calories or carbs leads me too obsessing too much. Yet, i couldnt ignore my diet completely because holding on to extra weight annhialated my self esteem. My husband is in the military and they actually suggested a paleo-style eating plan, but I was resistant at first because "whole grains are SO good for you." Anyways, after reading up and doing some research I found it logical and dove in head first and got the body of a fitness model(seriously...that confidence problem is gone!!). On top of the body I wanted I gained strength and energy and happiness

Favorite exercise: Right now it is deadlifts. I weigh 135 and deadlifted 185 yesterday very easily and will be lifting over 200 very soon[insert applause]. I am actually a lover of the powerclean-overhead press combo since it is such a dynamic lift I really get to sweating. I still hate squats though.

Favorite Primal food: Well, read my last post on my journal, I made this chocolate think that is like a fudgey-truffle-melt in your mouth candy bar that is better than sex. Also, I am a huge seafood person.

Best part about being Primal: Everything

Worst part about being Primal: Having to listen to people tell me how unhealthy I am and having to explain myself.
                *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
                Marilyn Monroe

Comment

• Your location: Mississippi

How Primal are you: I just started, but thus far I have maintained 100% primal. It's been easy to maintain so far, but in the long run I see myself being about 80-90%, to allow myself occasional indulgences every other week.

Do you consume dairy: God, yes. I need yogurt in my life, and milk (though in small amounts) is a daily thing. I like cheese a good bit too, but have been cutting down on it and the rest of my dairy to the best of my abilities.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Mostly coffee, but I enjoy some teas.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Issues with body re-composition, and I certainly know my workouts are not the problem, and have long struggled with sticking to certain eating patterns. Primal just makes sense to me, although it was painful making the decision, as I adore pasta, rice, and potatoes. Primal has so far helped me cut back on mindless grazing, which had been a huge issue.

Favorite exercise: My boxing and jiu jitsu. Dancing is fun as well, and I enjoy running as a whole. I like doing circuit training to, and prefer bodyweight exercises but I am not afraid of weights at all.

Favorite Primal food: Fruit, meat.

Best part about being Primal: I feel "cleaner", and it helps me control my eating habits.

Worst part about being Primal: I miss pasta. Dearly.
                  "...there was about him a suggestion of lurking ferocity, as though the Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept." - Jack London, "White Fang"

Comment

• Your location: Sunnyvale CA

Age (If you want): 62 in a month

How Primal are you: 90+% for the first 4 weeks. Except I haven't migrated to grass-finished meat or pastured eggs yet. Need to empty the freezer first. And major sticker shock (I examined the meat case in Whole Foods the other day)!

Do you consume dairy: butter, cream, cheese, full fat yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: oh yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: there's got to be a better way

Favorite exercise: swimming, bicycling. One goal is to do the AIDS Lifecycle ride for a second time.

Favorite Primal food: well, it's not bacon. Probably cheese - double cream gouda or, even better, triple cream brie!

Best part about being Primal: I feel much more lively.

Worst part about being Primal: No more cake. Or cookies. Or pie. Or raspberry jam.

Stats: Male, 6'0", highest-ever weight ~220 (2001); weight Feb 1 2012: 212; starting weight (March 3): 210; current weight (4 weeks in): 200.

No carb flu, no cravings. I can go to Starbuck's now and have no desire for baked goods. Mind you they don't have carmelita bars at the moment

Comment

• Your location: Denali Park, Alaska

Age (If you want): 36

How Primal are you: 98% (I admit to splurging on too much dried fruit and chocolate while on backcountry trips)

Do you consume dairy:Very rare

Do you drink coffee or tea:Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: The scientific support behind the Primal/Paleo lifestyle speaks for itself. Besides, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain from eating and living a clean, healthy life =)

Favorite exercise:Splitting enough wood to keep the house from freezing at -40F.

Favorite Primal food:BACON.....and my moose stew!

Best part about being Primal:Feeling and looking healthy!

Worst part about being Primal:Not chowin' down on a BIG plate of nachos with my hubby!

Comment

• Hello everyone! I've been reading Mark's blog for six months now and primal for three. I figured it was high time to check in.

Your location: Northern Virginia

Age (If you want): 36

How Primal are you: between 80 and 95% (usually closer to 95%)

Do you consume dairy: No.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, both daily

Motivator for switching to Primal: I felt toxic and was overweight. I kept searching for a way to shed my unhealthy weight and feel more nourished. I'd begun to suspect that my fatigue wasn't just from being overweight but from the quality - or lack there of - of the food I ate. I first read "Never be sick again" and then turned to Mark's books. I ditched my old lifestyle, embraced primal and I am not looking back!

Favorite exercise: Bicycling and walking

Favorite Primal food: Grass-fed beef, Bison and farm raised, organic bacon

Best part about being Primal: The energy and the weight loss. I feel like a kid again!!

Worst part about being Primal: Can't think of one. I'm sort of stuck on ideas for breakfasts these last few weeks... mostly because I've cut out all wheat/grain and am slightly reluctant/nervous about trying alternative or flour substitutes.

Comment

• Your location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Age (If you want): 19

How Primal are you: Pretty much 100% except I do go out to eat occasionally and eat a few pieces of fried catfish (what can i say? I'm from Louisiana.) On a regular basis, I do not eat any grains, legumes, very limited on potatoes, no processed foods, no refined sugars.

Do you consume dairy: I enjoy about 2tbsp. of whipped cream around 5 days a week, that's all. I'm not opposed to dairy, just don't eat it much.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink coffee everyday, mostly. I drink unsweetened tea periodically.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was sick & tired of being sick & tired. I was unhealthy and unhappy. I had heard about the Paleo diet a few years ago, decided to research, and ended up finding MDA and learning about the Primal diet.

Favorite exercise: Walking or Insanity ... It's a close tie.

Favorite Primal food: Currently, its pumpkin waffles ... It changes often though. Oh & BACON!! <3

Best part about being Primal: The feeling you get, its indescribable. To wake up fully rested, full of energy, and feeling like you could take over the world. No mid-day crashes, rarely getting sick, my mysterious migraine problem is gone, my skin is so glowy, and I'm losing weight. What could be better?

Worst part about being Primal: When people ask me, "so what's it like being like a caveman?" or people that try to convince me that I'm wrong and am hurting my body or depriving it. Oh & especially when people say, "well you need grains to get your fiber. You need to eat more dairy to get your calcium. Yada yada yada." Other then that, nothing =)

Comment

• Your location: Stillwater, OK

Age (If you want): 20

How Primal are you: Im slowly easing in. About 50/50 right now, would like to see that become more like 80/20

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: rarely

Motivator for switching to Primal: My sisters family back in california is completely primal and they are the healthiest and most energetic family i've ever met. Decided to try it out to help combat the "innevitable" college weight gain

Favorite exercise: not sure yet

Favorite Primal food: beef strips over salad with a lime juice and olive oil dressing

Best part about being Primal: feeling healthy

Worst part about being Primal: giving up wheat, i used to love indulging on cheesy bread

Comment

• Hello Everyone!

Hi! My name is Jake and I am about two weeks into the primal lifestyle. I look forward to getting healthy and getting to know all of you!
                              Your location: Milwaukee, WI

Age (If you want):27

How Primal are you: 90% with the food portion(still plenty of things that can/will be tweaked though) and I am making strides with fitness and everything regarding lifestyle(slow but steady progress)

Do you consume dairy: Seldom, cheese finds it's way into various dishes.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Seldom, tea every great once in a while

Motivator for switching to Primal: Didn't like all the weigh I put on over winter, and I wanted a plan that I felt would be sustainable.

Favorite exercise:Volleyball

Favorite Primal food:Bacon

Best part about being Primal: Feeling great! I feel energized, haven't noticed any headaches since switching etc.

Worst part about being Primal: Out with friends who are chowing down everything, but it's getting easier!

Comment

• Hey folks, my name is Ista and have been dabbling with primal and IF for a few weeks and now feel focussed enough to really give it my all

Your location: London, UK

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: 75% and rising!

Do you consume dairy: Yes - cheddar as treat - slowly weaning myself off

Do you drink coffee or tea: being English, I can't not drink tea!! black tea with a splash of milk and some sugar has been my to go hot bevy since forever but am slowly changing to green tea esp during fasting

Motivator for switching to Primal: want to lean up and feel less wobbly as well as clear up my rosacea and calm my pms

Favorite exercise: ballet dancing or Zwow interval training (former host of bodyrocktv)

Favorite Primal food: bacon!!!

Best part about being Primal: having a clear head, haven't been primal long so looking forward to more positives to come

Worst part about being Primal: no pastries - As I appear to be a host to a carb demon who tempts me to eat biscuits and pastries all day long - its so hard to resist... but I am

Comment

Working...
                                X