Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Mostly live in Cali and Colombia but I spend two weeks every 2 months in Tampa, FL.

Age (If you want): 44

How Primal are you: 90? I am adopting this lifestyle but I am not one to obessess about all the technical details. Sufficient to say I will add more fat to my diet, the good kind, keep eating the veggies and fruits I always ate, and cut out the grains, legumes, and dairy. Gave up soda years ago and never looked back. Never crave soda or sweets. My weakness has always been bread. all kinds of bread just taste delicious to me. But so far cutting the carbs out has eased the cravings for bread.

Do you consume dairy: Not any more.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, coffee mostly, sometimes go on Tea sprees.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Further improve my health.

Favorite exercise: Running. It's just so easy to do. A pair of shoes and hit the road jack.

Favorite Primal food: Salads with Avocado and any kind of meat or fish.

Best part about being Primal: You never feel insanely full and bloated.

Worst part about being Primal: Having to be vigilant about every thing you buy at the supermarket. In a perfect world you would never have to read labels or understand what local organic is vs remote organic. Grain fed vs grass fed.

Comment

• I'm 41, got introduced to low carb/high protein in May of 1996 through a book called The Zone. Did IF junk food/low calories in late 90s- scavenging/survival, when I got on my feet switched to blood type O diet which is primal.
      Ten years semi primal, added red meat back 7 years or so ago- didn't eat much meat in 80s or 90s. In the 90s I dabbled with veganism and macrobiotics- at the end of the decade celiac showed up and I realized I needed to eat protein as a main food and not eat grains or dairy.

I'm a native Texan & German. As my blog says, my background includes dance as a child and a lot of aerobics classes as a teen. I have 25 years of experience.

Comment

• Your location: Isle of Lewis, Scotland

Age (If you want): 52

How Primal are you: I do eat Dairy. Full fat milk, cheese and yogurt from our 2 milking goats. Otherwise I'm pretty good at avoiding all grains etc. Do occasionally have peas as a vegetable.

Do you consume dairy: Yep!

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea mostly.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Had a Heart Attack on Boxing Day! No cardio-vascular disease, and they don't really know what happened but it certainly wakes you up a bit.

Favorite exercise:Walking

Favorite Primal food: Has to be home grown beef.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling so much better every day, lower Blood pressure too.

Worst part about being Primal: I miss desserts, just not enough to eat them.

I'm pretty new to this, but lucky enough to have a neighbor who has been Paleo/Primal for a year or so. He's been a great help and pointed me at the right web sites and books. Thanks Paul!

Comment

• I'm a newbie, so still getting into the whole Primal lifestyle, but I will play along. I think it would be interesting to answer these questions again in about 6 months and see what changes come about.

Your location: Ottawa, Ontario

Age (If you want): Big 5-0

How Primal are you: Probably about 75%. I have not sourced organic or grass-fed meat, and we still use bottled salad dressings (small amounts), but have cut the grain products and sugar almost to zero. Oh, and no more soda, diet or otherwise.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, I have a life-long love of cheese. However, I have cut back drastically.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Every damn day

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss

Favorite exercise: Dunno yet

Favorite Primal food: BACON!!!

Best part about being Primal: Knowing that I have finally found a positive, healthy lifestyle that is sustainable

Worst part about being Primal: Obsessing about food (what to eat). Hoping this will diminish over time.
          "And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!"

Comment

• Halfway Primal

Your location: Boston, MA

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: Maybe 60% - still hard to get family on board. I'm probably 80% gluten-free, though.

Do you consume dairy: God, yes. Can't help myself. But now I get better cheese and raw milk. That's something, at least.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Absolutely. Coffee.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health - longtime hyperthyroidism.

Favorite exercise: Walking, yoga.

Favorite Primal food: Bacon. Silly question.

Best part about being Primal: Breakfast, lunch, dinner. And I can eat bacon.

Worst part about being Primal: Desserts! Especially because I'm pretty good with flour & yeast. Sigh.

Comment

• Your location: Nashville TN

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: having only been @ it a week maybe 65%

Do you consume dairy: the rare piece of cheese maybe once a week

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes..coffee and tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: I've been yo-yoing with weight for years, my story is no different than 95% of everyone else. I was a healthy and fit until my late 20's and then an injury put me on the couch and introduced me to slacking off I've tried weight loss after weight loss with mediocre results and any weight I took off has always come back and brought several friends making me depressed and upset and confused about what I was doing wrong. Several years ago I started musing about us being hunter/gathers and always thought that it just seemed natural to do but never really found a resource and dismissed it as me just having wishful thinking. About 8 months ago to help recover from a Achilles Tendon reconstruction surgery, I dove head first into the barefoot lifestyle (with my Vibram Five Finger shoes) and haven't looked back, which brought back my old way of thinking. I have only just recently stumbled across all this and realized that it's NOT just wishful thinking and it's possible and attainable! I look forward to the days when my immune system is back to 100% and I fight off illness naturally and not have to worry about managing my weight and just get back to being totally happy.

Favorite exercise: Chopping wood and Playing!!!

Favorite Primal food: MEAT!

Best part about being Primal: Freedom from food!!!!!

Worst part about being Primal: I will miss an occasional grain (but I will get over it) and realistically, the cost can be daunting at times

Comment

• Your location: Boston Area, MA

Age (If you want): 16

How Primal are you: 100% when I'm by myself, 80-95% with my family or friends.

Do you consume dairy: I eat cheese, but I don't eat yogurt or drink milk because of a mild lactose intolerance that causes mucus buildup in my throat. I sing a lot, so gunk in the throat is bad.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee is pretty blecky, but I like tea a lot.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My dad read Good Calories, Bad Calories about four years ago, and since then he's been educating the family about the benefits of being low-carb. But In recent years, I've been more of a diehard adherent than he has! My main motivation is social--I'm in high school with a bunch of superfit athletes, and I want to be (at least) as physically attractive as all the other girls :P

Favorite exercise: Soccer, Rock Climbing, Running, and Ice Skating...in that order.

Favorite Primal food: All meat. I joke with my friends about how much I love eating animals...they always think I'm a vegetarian because I'm always eating salad at lunch, but then they see me eating tons of hamburger/hot dog/sausage (lots of foraging happens at lunch) and they change their minds.

Best part about being Primal: I get to eat food that actually has flavor! Also, I love seeing my body change in the mirror!

Worst part about being Primal: There's a lot of social pressure (especially with fellow teenagers) to eat pizza, bread, etc. Since I hate making special orders at restaurants--no home fries, no toast, etc--you might be able to guess that I don't like going against the pre-planned menu at social gatherings. Add a bunch of friends saying "But your body NEEDS carbs!" and it makes Primal life that much harder.

--If there are any other Primal folks living with their non-Primal parents lurking around, I'd love to hear tips on family dinners; one of our family rules is that we all have to eat whatever my mom cooks, so I often have to make room for some dietary wiggling.

Comment

How primal are you: I want to be fully committed to being primal one day. Working on it.

Do you consume dairy: No. I've never liked dairy products.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No coffee, just tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: It just makes sense.

Favorite exercise: Barre workouts

Favorite Primal food: Does dark chocolate count as primal food?

Best part about being Primal: Having more energy and feeling amazing.

Worst part about being Primal: Not having any support from friends and family. I need to make some primal friends.

Comment

• 29, Bronx, NY
                    Just started the primal lifestyle last Friday, jumped in head first as the whole thing just made sense to me and answered a lot of questions I have had on the back of my mind as to why it is so difficult nowadays to be healthy.

I have been eating nothing processed or of grain origin, but have not tried buying organic meat or produce yet.
                    The only dairy I have consumed is a little bit of my fiancee's milk to make my eggs fluffy!
                    I have a lot of motivations to live the primal lifestyle. For 1, my health, I recently weighed myself and tipped the scale at 320.
                    I also moved down from beautiful natural New Hampshire last year to New York City and am missing the nature and open wilderness, I want to be healthy enough and in good enough shape to be able to take off on a weekend hiking trip on a whim. The final reason for the lifestyle switch is that I am getting married in November of this year and want to be healthy and 'photogenic' for the big day. Not to mention the impending 3-0 birthday coming next year!

Comment

• I've been enjoying P90x, but have been enjoying running/jumping in the park with my Vibram FiveFingers. There's a great big stair case up a side of a hill that's a lot of fun to jump up and down.

Comment

• Hey there -

Your location: Tucson, AZ

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: Trying to be mostly Primal most days

Do you consume dairy: Small amounts of goat's milk kefir and the occasional nibble of sheep's milk cheese; no cow dairy.

Do you drink coffee or tea: YES - morning coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Constant digestive problems and insidious weight gain.

Favorite exercise: Weightlifting

Favorite Primal food: BACON!

Best part about being Primal: When I adhere closely, I have great energy and quick weight loss.

Worst part about being Primal: I miss beer and corn chips...

Comment

• Your location:Southern Cal

Age (If you want):51

How Primal are you:100%

Do you consume dairy:not anymore

Do you drink coffee or tea:Not after today

Motivator for switching to Primalverall health

Favorite exercise:hiking

Favorite Primal food:eggs

Best part about being Primal:no IBS

Worst part about being Primal: not losing weight

Comment

• 100% new to primal and forums. So here's my answers

Your location: Clarksville, TN

Age (If you want): 23

How Primal are you: Just started, so we're working through our non primal food eating what we have to, donating some stuff. So right now maye 50%, and hopefully working up to maybe 85%.

Do you consume dairy: Not much.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee sometimes in the mornings, and I'm starting to drink more teas.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I ate an entire pie the other weekend. Lot's of pain in my feet, knees, and back when I was in the army and working out. So I figured I'd try something new.

Favorite exercise: I like walking and light running. I did my first run in my vibram five fingers this evening with my dogs, most fun I've had in a long time, we chased a rabbit, stalked a leaf, jumped in puddles, and even did some sprinting. Had a BLAST!!

Favorite Primal food: Haven't done much primal food yet, but I love steak, salmon, elk, asparagus. And my wife and I have started looking into crop shares in the area, and even a grass fed beef ranch in the area.

Best part about being Primal: Low stress, fun, exercise.

Worst part about being Primal: I have a tremendous sweet tooth which I'm working through. I also used to drink beer pretty frequently. I definatley need to cut back on both.

Looking forward to learning more and becoming more primal!

Comment

• Your location: USA

Age (If you want): mid-30s

How Primal are you: very at home, although I do "cheat" when I'm out at Costco (free samples), restaurants, etc.

Do you consume dairy: occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: occasionally

Motivator for switching to Primal: my husband

Favorite exercise: running

Favorite Primal food: bacon

Best part about being Primal: the meat

Worst part about being Primal: no sugar
                              my blog

Comment

• The Questions:

Your location: Iowa

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: Fairly primal

Do you consume dairy: occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: both

Motivator for switching to Primal: my dad was primal for a year and his health improved quite a bit, and he was already "healthy" by most standards

Favorite exercise: hiking or building stuff

Favorite Primal food: shrimp and vegetables

Best part about being Primal: losing weight and having energy

Worst part about being Primal: I really miss chips and salsa.

Also - I've been primal since the middle of december last year and have lost around 15 lbs, but this past week I was in Kansas City, MO eating barbecue and I had an awful exchange with the cashier and it went like this:

Me: Can I have a water?
                                Her: Good choice.
                                Me: Thanks.
                                Her: Are you pregnant?
                                Me: .....................No.
                                Her: Oh sorry, you just looked like you were.
                                Me: Yeah, I got that.

So needless to say, I'm ramping up my exercise....

Comment

Working...
                                X