X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your location: Cary (Raleigh/Triangle), NC

Age (If you want): 25

How Primal are you: I'd say 70% of my activities and diet are Primal in nature. I am always looking for cost effective ways to keep a more Primal and logical diet and lifestyle.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but I try to limit intake since it slows me down. It's delicious but really, I'd prefer a handful of berries over a slice of cheddar or glass of milk any day.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea occasionally.

Motivator for switching to Primal: It makes sense, it's easy, it's fun, and it's good for you.

Favorite exercise: Anything explosive or practical, but not any particular one. Lifting/moving heavy stuff rather than weights (pushing cars, helping people move, picking people up, throwing said people into pools)

Favorite Primal food: Chicken!!!

Best part about being Primal: I feel a sense of accomplishment whenever I do something 'Primal' inspired. It makes me feel confident, which I think is a huge part of a successful Primal mindset.

Worst part about being Primal: The occasional bump in cost. It's usually cheap to be primal, but sometimes I can get sick of certain foods if I overload on them (yes, even chicken). A lot of popular dishes at restaurants are not Primal friendly, in fact they are practically anti-primal. Most primal dishes you can find at restaurants are sold at a premium The best solution of course is to utilize different ingredients and make different dishes at home, but this also means spending more money. There are also a lot of foods that can change dramatically in price based on when they are or aren't in season/supply is lower.

I've been subscribed to Mark's Daily Apple for some time now and have browsed the forums on countless occasions looking for all sorts of information and answers to some questions that I have had before. I look forward to popping in every once in a while, and maybe starting some Primal Projects and posting my findings or results here.

Comment

• I'm brand new at this, so I can't really answer the "favorite" questions yet...

Your location: north of Denver

Age (If you want): 38

How Primal are you: just starting

Do you consume dairy: traditionally, yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: lots

Motivator for switching to Primal: I've been following a 1000-1400 calorie a day, plus walking for a couple of miles 3-4 times a week, for months, and my weight and body fat % haven't budged. I'm not so concerned about being fat as I am about the fact that I'm trashing my knees. I'm on my third round of PT in two years and doing Hyalgan injections because I've got no cartilage left in one of my knees and the other isn't in much better shape. My ortho feels I'm too young for a knee replacement; if I have one now and have to have them every ten years, there won't be anything left to attach the replacement knees to when I'm 70.

Favorite exercise: I walk a couple of miles at least every other day, I try to get into the mountains every weekend for a day-long hike during the summer, ski just about every weekend during the winter.

Comment

• Name: Tim Baxter

How Primal Are You? 98% - just started and dove in with both feet; last remaining vice is an occasional Diet Pepsi, but I'm almost off that, too.

Do you consume dairy? No.

Do you drink coffee/tea: Tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: a) bloated, disgusting fatbody, b) autoimmune disease (rheumatoid arthritis), c) tired of feeling like hell all the time.

Favorite exercise: Deadlift, Squat, Hanging Clean and Press, hill sprints (not good at them at all, yet, but they do kick my butt sufficiently!!)

Favorite Primal Food: Bison Tenderloin Filet

Best Part of being Primal: I already feel exponentially better and my RA symptoms are pretty much gone. This is in two weeks' time.

Worst Part of being Primal: I'll let you know - nothing comes to mind yet!

Comment

• The Questions:

Name: Frank (Backwards...it's Knarf.)

Your location: Los Angeles

Age (If you want): 21

How Primal are you: 95%...pretty dang compliant.

Do you consume dairy: Tbsp of butter/heavy cream here and there.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No more than a cup's worth of either per day. Rarely, full-fat ice-cream.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Injured shoulder while bboying (breakdancing) in late 2008. Vegetarianism for a year in 2009. Been more and more primal since early 2010. Now healthy and strong.

Favorite exercise: Bboying (breakdancing). Love outdoor activities, hiking, climbing...

Favorite Primal food: Medium-rare grass-fed beef!

Best part about being Primal: Delicious food, healthy body, healthy mind. Energy to take on the world.

Worst part about being Primal: Sometimes people think you're absolutely bonkers.

Comment

• Your location: Hong Kong

Age (If you want): 52

How Primal are you: Just getting started, so after three days, I would say about 80-90%

Do you consume dairy: Just yogurt and cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: One cup of each in the morning

Motivator for switching to Primal: Being 52 and not wanting to end up in a nursing home in a few years!

Favorite exercise: Trail running

Favorite Primal food: Tenderloin imported from Australia

Best part about being Primal: I'm never hungry

Worst part about being Primal: Its not about being Primal, its about living in Hong Kong. Its hard to find Primal food here, everything is primarily from China and we all know what that means. They even counterfeit meat up there and even the "real" meat is loaded with so many chemicals it glows in the dark. So quality organic is limited to imports from the US and Australia and expensive (but worth it).

Comment

• Hi y'all, my name's Jaime and like many before me, very new to the whole Primal thing but interested in seeing what works for me...Right here we go!

Your location: Hong Kong. My family is actually from the Philippines, but I was born and raised in Hong Kong.

Age (If you want): 26, turning 27 next month.

How Primal are you: Not very... you could call me a weekend primal yuppie I guess?

Do you consume dairy: Yes, lots of it. Grew up raised on it and I feel weird when I don't have any.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, trying to stick with green tea more though.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Steadily approaching 30, and want to turn my physical health around.

Favorite exercise: Anything that involves lifting weights or using the TRX. Playing rugby and going swimming rank equally up there too.

Favorite Primal food: MEAT. All kinds, from stews to steaks.

Best part about being Primal: The energy I get.

Worst part about being Primal: The lack of grains.. I'm asian! I'm practically raised on rice, meat and veg.

Comment

• Your location: Toronto, ON Canada

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: I'd say roughly 80-90%

Do you consume dairy: Yes, even though I'm lactose intolerant...love that whipping cream in my coffee, butter, and once in a while I'll have some cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I'm a personal trainer and I compete in fitness/bodybuilding shows...while dieting for shows I realized that I much prefer being full and satisfied eating lots of fat and meat as opposed to constantly battling the ups and downs I get from eating lots of carbs. Another reason being, my body tends to hold onto a ton of water all the time, making me feel and look a little bloated (especially if I'm eating a carb based diet)...I call myself a camel sometimes, haha....switching to primal has helped 100%.

Favorite exercise: Jump rope, any type of big olympic lifts, lifting heavy things in general

Favorite Primal food: COCONUT OIL!!! and all things coconut....mmm so delicious but my coconut oil consumption is through the roof i love that stuff so much.

Best part about being Primal: Eating loads of glorious FAT!! And my skin has cleared up from the acne I used to suffer from, I'm leaner now but eat more calories every day, I'm not bloated, or holding water anymore and I love veggies!!

Worst part about being Primal: I'm a recovering sugaraholic...so sometimes my cravings get insanely bad. And I tend to underestimate the amount of sleep/rest I really need...so when I get tired I'm extremely fatigued which again correlates to my sugar cravings. I know its a cycle that I need to pay more attention to for sure.

Comment

How Primal are you: Just started....70-75%

Dairy: Full, real fat, thank you

Both coffee and tea (1 C coffee w/cream in morning, tea rest of day)

Motivation: to stave off diabetes, heart disease, and arthritis

Exercise: walking daily (with 60-lb Great Pyr mix still growing puppy), alternating yoga and Pilates with weights.

Favorite Primal food: salmon and steak

Best part: don't have to think

Worst: thinking about baguettes the way I usually think about Sting.

Comment

• Hi, my name is Mark, and I'm in my third week of going primal.

Your location: Tucson, AZ

Age (If you want): 40

How Primal are you: 90%

Do you consume dairy: heavy cream in coffee, white cheeses, occasional half n' half latte

Do you drink coffee or tea: hot coffee, iced tea, lots of water

Motivator for switching to Primal: health. I'm a Type II Diabetic. Need to get my numbers down.

Favorite exercise: Hiking and swimming

Favorite Primal food: too many to list. Steaks, lamb, salmon, spinach, asparagus

Best part about being Primal: getting to eat salmon and eggs at breakfast

Worst part about being Primal: so far, I've gained fat around my waist in the past couple of weeks. I'm very frustrated, because I've been following the 10 rules (read Mark's book and fitness book), but I've actually put on some fat. I take Lantus slow-acting insulin every night. I'm wondering if the higher fat + my injected insulin is making my body store fat as fat. Did I correctly read something about that in a forum posting or in Mark's book? I am trying to be patient, because I feel that this overall approach to living is inspiring, makes sense and is fun. I'm going to stick with it, but if anyone has some insight on the fat gain, I would be very grateful.
                    Thanks.
                    Mark

Comment

• Hi, My name is Nicki.

Your location: West Chester, Ohio

Age (If you want): 44

How Primal are you: just started recently and am still reading the book so hard to put a percentage on that..

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes, coffee in the am.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Stomach issues, energy issues, and I want to be a good role model for my 2 teenage sons.

Favorite exercise: Weight training and pylometrics. I tried to train as a powerlifter but the lifestyle was not for me.

Favorite Primal food: Brocoli, chicken, fish

Best part about being Primal: Not being a slave to my hunger anymore!

Worst part about being Primal: I took much of a noobie to really have a dislike just yet but I do love bagels.

Comment

• Your location: Baltimore, MD, USA

Age (If you want): 37

How Primal are you: Just starting, so I'm gearing up to a serious primal level.

Do you consume dairy: Occasionally, usually if I have a non black coffee or cheese, which isn't often.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I do, maybe a cup a day, but this is on the way out

Motivator for switching to Primal: To be healthy the right way, and systemically. I've struggled with weight most of my life. At 37, marriage failed, with 3 kids and a previously dismal outlook on life, I had an epiphany recently..... get living or get dying. I'm not ready to die so I made up my mind to start living. I've lost 75 lbs on my own, just by will power and desire, and I could probably do that for the last 60 lbs I have to lose, but I want more that the fat off, I want to be physically and mentally healthy. I think I've got the mind there, and primal seems the way to get the whole package in balance.

Favorite exercise: Can't say yet, but I really like walking and hiking, and recently started enjoying biking with my girlfriend. My favorite activity would be Contra dancing, something I started this year and have fallen in love with.

Favorite Primal food: Grass fed beef, almonds and hemp seeds.

Best part about being Primal: Really early to say (I'm still reading the book, but have implemented many principles), but so far I feel great, weight is still going down. It's hard to differentiate the benefits of primal from the overall benefits of just losing so much weight in general, but I like the idea of being primal as a lifestyle, for health and sustainability.

Worst part about being Primal: Can't say yet, but it would likely be when out to eat sifting through offerings to not eat wrong. Though, it's much easier to be primal than any CW program when eating out.

Comment

• Your location: Ontario, Canada

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: I'm two months in. Doing 90/10 most weeks, some weeks have been 100% others 80/20

Do you consume dairy: Not often. I have the occasional berries with whipped cream, or glob of sour cream. I eat a bit of Goat cheese as well, but that's it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Again, not often and only when I really want a black coffee or black herbal tea, maybe once or twice a month. Too hot for summer!

Motivator for switching to Primal: My main motivation was to lose weight, but as I start to feel better and better, it's to maintain my well being.

Favorite exercise: Hiking. Always has been, always will be.

Favorite Primal food: Beef. In any form!

Best part about being Primal: The way I feel! The energy, less pain, NO cravings or afternoon crashes. It's awesome.

Worst part about being Primal: Visiting someone who follows CW and gets on you about your choices at meal time.

Comment

• Your location: Furlong, PA

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: 75%

Do you consume dairy: Some cheddar on salads, heavy cream in coffee.

Do you drink coffee or tea: 3 cups of coffee a week.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Type 1 diabetic for just under 4 years... want to learn as much as I can about how my body REALLY works.

Favorite exercise: Cycling.

Favorite Primal food: Duh, bacon!

Best part about being Primal: Being satiated, running out of notches on my belts!

Worst part about being Primal: No longer eating whatever I want... but it hasn't been as hard as I expected.

Comment

How primal are you: was very approximate; now getting serious again.

Do you consume dairy: oh hell yes.

Do you drink coffee or tea: religiously.

Motivator for switching to Primal: pure vanity.

Favorite exercise: clean & jerk.

Best part about being Primal: weight loss without being sick or weak.

Worst part about being Primal: I HATE positive thinking. Despair is my middle name. Loathing is my other middle name.

Comment

• Originally posted by barbarianchick View Post
                                I HATE positive thinking. Despair is my middle name. Loathing is my other middle name.
                                So, when we try to be encouraging, you're going to hate that, but then that'll be okay, because of the hate, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X